Author Topic: Are We Truly In The End Times?  (Read 106341 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Are We Truly In The End Times?
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »
I still cannot fathom how anyone can think that the global situation is worse than 50 or 100 years ago, let alone further than that.
Really? No president has ever had this much shit hit the fan in a two year span.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:52 AM »
I still cannot fathom how anyone can think that the global situation is worse than 50 or 100 years ago, let alone further than that.
Because the good old days.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
Think of it like this; there is probably no better life to live in this region of our galaxy than the life of a person in the early 21st century of the Western world.  You can look at the negatives, but the fact is people live longer, are richer, suffer from less crime and war, are more tolerant and open, etc.  Considering all the darker moments in human history, from our emergence from the great apes, struggling to survive, to the population crunch in the last ice age, to the struggle of life in the earliest civilizations, to the violent and brutal conflicts that marked the history of the Fertile Crescent, to the Mongols, or the famines, or the plagues, or more recently the world wars, our existence here and now is a paradise.  I've had the extreme good fortune to be born into a financially secure family who loved me.  I live in one of the best places in the world, have had the opportunity to pursue higher education, have my health (and security even if I fall ill or hurt myself), and all sorts of opportunities open to me in my future.  I have no cause to bitch.
The thread should have pretty much ended after this post.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
I agree, but only on the micro level.  The fact is that never before in history have we actually impacted the environment on such a scale that might be considered killing the planet.  We've only been doing so since 1850, and it's only gotten worse from there.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
That's true, and there will be hell to pay in the future.  But once again, it won't be Westerners who have to deal with the extreme consequences.  It'll be Bangladesh, the Congo, India, etc.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:15 AM »
That's true, and there will be hell to pay in the future.  But once again, it won't be Westerners who have to deal with the extreme consequences.  It'll be Bangladesh, the Congo, India, etc.

https://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/venus/greenhouse.html

tl;dr: In the short run, Westerners will be fine, but in the long run everyone gets screwed.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
I often can't help but be reminded of the predator-prey cycles of animals, where predators experience a massive population crash after over-hunting their prey. Put it bluntly, we're quickly outstripping our ability to sustain ourselves, and many people will die, bringing the world population to below what would be a sustainable level. Then the wildlife will recover, and the human population will slowly get back up again.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
I certainly hope so, or at least I hope it happens before we can initiate a positive feedback loop as described in the above link.  I know it sounds horrible to say, but you are absolutely right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »
Humans are overpopluating the world. We're depleting the sources, and now we don't have enough. That's why if something major happened like the earthquake especially in NY. People are guarnteed to die, either by each other or not of enough sources
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
I often can't help but be reminded of the predator-prey cycles of animals, where predators experience a massive population crash after over-hunting their prey. Put it bluntly, we're quickly outstripping our ability to sustain ourselves, and many people will die, bringing the world population to below what would be a sustainable level. Then the wildlife will recover, and the human population will slowly get back up again.

rumborak

I agree. I remember watching a televison program years ago where human DNA was studied and it was pretty evident throught that analysis that there has been 2 bottlenecks in the past where humans have fallen below an estimated 25,000 people or so left on the planet. Like you said...it really is just a matter of nature correcting and balancing itself out. I thought it was fascinating how they could figure that out just by comparing the number of natural mutations that take place in DNA over time...but the evidence was laid out in an understandable manner.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ehra

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
Actually, the end of humans is near and that can be considered a blessing.

I think a few posters here are humans, so you might want to watch the personal attacks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
Actually, the end of humans is near and that can be considered a blessing.

I think a few posters here are humans, so you might want to watch the personal attacks.

Not Blob; he's a robot.

Offline ehra

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
Yeah but he doesn't post anymore, so it's ok to say bad things about robots.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
Hey, I miss Blob. :sadpanda:

Offline ehra

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
Me too   :'(

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Really? No president has ever had this much shit hit the fan in a two year span.

... wat

President Abraham Lincoln: Elected in 1860. After trying desperately to hang onto the Union, he finds himself in a Civil war, one of the deadliest wars in American history. As of 1862, prospects for the Union weren't perfect; it appeared as if the war could go either way

President John F. Kennedy: Elected 1960. Civil rights issues and the Cuban Missile Crisis made his entire Presidency somewhat difficult

I could go on. Do you really think things are more terrible now than they were in the past? This is almost nothing compared to a lot of what America has gone through

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
PLM is so right. Driving the point home, of course, that both those presidents were also shot in the head and killed by bitchy militarized conservatives worse than any Tea Party outfit.

This is by far not America's lowest moment, nor the world's.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
PLM is so right. Driving the point home, of course, that both those presidents were also shot in the head and killed by bitchy militarized conservatives worse than any Tea Party outfit.

Wow that hadn't occurred to me at first :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

This is by far not America's lowest moment, nor the world's.

Correct, and actually the reason it's so difficult for everyone and a lot of people are talking about the downfall of America is because we're in it right now (people were saying the same of the 70s, after all), and because for some reason we are having quite a bit of trouble actually getting to task on fixing these problems.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »

... wat

President Abraham Lincoln: Elected in 1860. After trying desperately to hang onto the Union, he finds himself in a Civil war, one of the deadliest wars in American history. As of 1862, prospects for the Union weren't perfect; it appeared as if the war could go either way

President John F. Kennedy: Elected 1960. Civil rights issues and the Cuban Missile Crisis made his entire Presidency somewhat difficult

I could go on. Do you really think things are more terrible now than they were in the past? This is almost nothing compared to a lot of what America has gone through
Well Obama inherited 2 wars, home grown terror cells, al qeada, a wall street collapse, a recession causing the worst unemployment in years, an inability to create jobs(and that aint gonna change anytime soon)a unprecedented revolution taking place in the middle east, a failing global economy, a country so divided it verging on a civil war, plus various costly natural disasters, and a shit load of other stuff I'm probably forgetting. Its pretty bad as far as I'm concerned.
If you were going to burn me you should have went with Roosevelt dealing with the depression. That was probably right there.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
I think any Cold War president had a bigger mess to handle than Obama.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
I think any Cold War president had a bigger mess to handle than Obama.
I don't agree. Think think Obama has more overall problems and a country on the brink of an economical collapse, imo.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »
I think Obama's situation, if you wanted to compare it, is probably closer to Carter's. And yeah, they stoned him too.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
Actually, if you're going to bring up economic downturn, the mess Martin Van Buren inherited is worse than this mess, as far as I'm concerned.

Obama still doesn't have the worst mess. Doesn't matter from which angle you look at it

Offline j

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »

... wat

I agree, and tick's addition about Roosevelt and the Great Depression is another good example.  But to be honest, even if we WERE presently going through a particularly dark time in history, I don't understand what it is that makes people want to be doomsayers.

The main thing that worries me about the current state of things has nothing to do with the economy, international affairs, the environment, overpopulation, etc. (although those are all serious issues).  It's the complete ineptitude of the US government to take any sort of significant effective action, for better or worse, and manage and follow through with it.  I know I'm always harping on this, but as much as I despise the typical incompetent, self-centered politician, I blame the system over any individual.  And I don't know how it can be remedied.

-J

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
Im a bit confused. the current economic times, middle eastern uprisings or state of natural disasters in no way threatens the entirerty or even the majority of the human race let alone the planet. How would the end of times be brought about? I mean what would actually be responsible for whiping out the human race?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
Actually, if you're going to bring up economic downturn, the mess Martin Van Buren inherited is worse than this mess, as far as I'm concerned.
I had never heard of the guy but that name is 100% Dutch. Seems you guys didn't just get New York from us but also a president  :hat.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
Yeah he was born to Dutch parents, I think.

He's one of the lesser known presidents, but he was Jackson's VP and got to deal with all the shit Jackson created.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »
Im a bit confused. the current economic times, middle eastern uprisings or state of natural disasters in no way threatens the entirerty or even the majority of the human race let alone the planet. How would the end of times be brought about? I mean what would actually be responsible for whiping out the human race?

I'm not sure how to answer the question, but I'm pretty sure that the end of the world is going to coincide with a space satellite named Nauticus making contact with God and becoming a new divinity.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »

I'm not sure how to answer the question, but I'm pretty sure that the end of the world is going to coincide with a space satellite named Nauticus making contact with God and becoming a new divinity.
Seems likely.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »

I would approve of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »
Nauticus? What sbout V'ger?

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
Nuclear wessels.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2011, 09:37:21 PM »
This thread has kind of gone off the rails and ventured into several different territories that are honestly not about end times, but rather just a good debate of now vs. then. and though I would say there were era's where singular issues were as big as anything currently happening, I would say its the multiple of so many serious issues that makes this era so alarming. From terrorism, to civil unrest, to financial crisis to as j said, an overall  political incompetence that makes it hard to feel good about these idiots being able to get things back on track.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
Nuclear wessels.

They're in Alameda.