Author Topic: Are We Truly In The End Times?  (Read 107709 times)

Offline Scheavo

Re: Are We Truly In The End Times?
« Reply #455 on: May 19, 2012, 12:22:11 AM »
Evolution is as factual as gravity. You cannot deny that evolution exists, anymore than you can deny that gravity exists. We have witnessed it numerous times, and without evolutionary theory, many fields of science would be incoherent and at a road block.

Was is not settled, is what exactly evolution is, how to define it, etc. Just like gravity, where we know gravity exists, we can't say for sure that Einsteins theory of Gravity is accurate, or that it is the Truth. That theory, regarding gravity, is falsifiable, and up for debate. What is not up for debate, is that gravity exists. And what is not up for debate, is that evolution exists.

Now, that doesn't mean there theoretically can't be other factors or other forces involved. Evolution does not deny God in any way, and most importantly evolution makes no claim regarding the origins of life, it only makes a claim regarding the origins of species, and why there is the great variety of life that we see.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:43 AM »
Well, c'mon, you know what I mean. Cause really, all of Newtonian physics is technically wrong, otherwise we wouldn't have quantum mechanics, but it's still a workable theory. I would say, then, that Newtonian physics is definitely not True, but it is true. Engineers still rely upon this model of physics to do a lot of things.

I know, hence why I referred to myself as "that guy", ie a pedantic bastard.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2012, 02:09:18 AM »
Whilst I disagree with most of what Omega says, science certainly does have a philosophical foundation, especially concerning the nature falsifiability and such like.
This. And particularly in very advanced physics, where observation actually changes the state of something (Schroedinger's cat), philosophy is an integral part.

Our universe isn't ordered? Science rests on the very supposition that it is ordered.

Science rests on the very supposition that it is "ordered?"

Doesn't science show that it is the nature of the universe that things move toward disorder?
If you're talking about entropy, then yes, you're basically correct. Without an input of energy, things will only either stay static or because more disordered.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2012, 02:12:28 AM »
When did "extremely improbable" become synonymous with "completely impossible without God"?

BTW, yesterday golfer Michelle Wie hit not one but TWO holes in one in the front nine.  That is the most improbable thing I've ever heard of that actually happened.  But it is clearly not impossible, because it actually happened.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2012, 02:24:03 AM »
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_in_one
Two holes in 1 on 9 courses = (1/2500)^2 * (2499/2500)^7 = about 1 in 6.5 million. I'm sure you have witnessed more improbable things without realizing.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:28 AM »
Oh, stop it.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2012, 02:40:09 AM »
When did "extremely improbable" become synonymous with "completely impossible without God"?
Exactly. On a personal level some people may want to consider this as a confirmation to themselves of their faith/belief, and that's fine, everyone has their own opinions and beliefs. But I don't think it makes sense to argue it as scientific proof because as far as I'm concerned the two things are unrelated.

Two holes in 1 on 9 courses = (1/2500)^2 * (2499/2500)^7 = about 1 in 6.5 million. I'm sure you have witnessed more improbable things without realizing.
Yep, incredibly improbable things happen all the time. Just most of them are not noteworthy enough to be made a big deal out of.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2012, 06:14:35 AM »
Well, c'mon, you know what I mean. Cause really, all of Newtonian physics is technically wrong, otherwise we wouldn't have quantum mechanics, but it's still a workable theory. I would say, then, that Newtonian physics is definitely not True, but it is true. Engineers still rely upon this model of physics to do a lot of things.

Then I'm sure you understand the point that I've been making from the get go, that science is about what works, not what is true in the philosophical sense, and therefore doesn't need any philosophical assumptions.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »
And okay, let me clarify and use my terms correctly: science makes claims of knowledge (which is pretty much redundant, seeing as how "science" means "knowledge" in Latin), where "knowledge" is defined as, "justified true belief." Science claims something to known, when it can be reproduced by other persons, following the same procedures. I would also make a distinction between Truth, and truth. It is true that F = MA, becuase anytime anyone has ever done the math, the experiments, etc, they get the result that f = MA. This is a model, a model describing behavior, and it's one that can be used.

Below is something I stumbled across yesterday:

Gettier problem
Plato suggests, in his Theaetetus, Meno, and other dialogues, that "knowledge" may be defined as justified true belief. For over two millennia, this definition of knowledge has been reinforced and accepted by subsequent philosophers, who accepted justifiability, truth, and belief as the necessary criteria for information to earn the special designation of being "knowledge."

In 1963, however, Edmund Gettier published an article in the periodical Analysis entitled "Is Justified True Belief Knowledge?", offering instances of justified true belief that do not conform to the generally understood meaning of "knowledge." Gettier's examples hinged on instances of epistemic luck: cases where a person appears to have sound evidence for a proposition, and that proposition is in fact true, but the apparent evidence is not causally related to the proposition's truth.

In response to Gettier's article, numerous philosophers have offered modified criteria for "knowledge." There is no general consensus to adopt any of the modified definitions yet proposed.

So I'm going to go ahead and assume that science itself no longer claims knowledge (since there is no agreed upon definition of knowledge) and any such claim is only a philosophy of science or epistemological theory.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »

Didnt she have two holes in one on 9 holes, not 9 courses?

Out of curiosity, what is the probability of that?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #465 on: May 19, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »

Didnt she have two holes in one on 9 holes, not 9 courses?

Out of curiosity, what is the probability of that?
Yes I meant if you shoot on 9 holes. It says in the article the probability of making a hole-in-one for a pro-golfer is estimated at 1/2500.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jammindude

« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
That's still a gross oversimplification.     More accurate would be to bury the entire state of Texas three feet deep in silver dollars, then randomly sending a blindfolded person into that state, and telling him he's got one shot to find the buried penny. 

EDIT: and BTW...even that has better mathematical odds than life coming about by chance.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #467 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »
That's still a gross oversimplification.     More accurate would be to bury the entire state of Texas three feet deep in silver dollars, then randomly sending a blindfolded person into that state, and telling him he's got one shot to find the buried penny. 

EDIT: and BTW...even that has better mathematical odds than life coming about by chance.

But give him a Septillion chances.  Odds get a tad bit better.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jammindude

« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

So now it's my turn....

Again...we're back to my illustration of finding a carved statue on an archaeological expedition and claiming it wasn't made.   Could you make an argument that such a thing *COULD* come about by chance?  Come up with photographic evidence of random rock formations that look similar?  You could...but no reasonable person would take you seriously.   Only the ones who desperately wanted to believe that there had never been a intelligent society on that site.   

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »

So now it's my turn....

Again...we're back to my illustration of finding a carved statue on an archaeological expedition and claiming it wasn't made.   Could you make an argument that such a thing *COULD* come about by chance?  Come up with photographic evidence of random rock formations that look similar?  You could...but no reasonable person would take you seriously.   Only the ones who desperately wanted to believe that there had never been a intelligent society on that site.

What do the two have to do with each other?  Its just statistical probabilities. 
Yesterday, I saw a cloud that looked exactly like my dog. 
The human mind will attach meaning where there is none.  And that goes for both sides.  In my example, my mind saw my dog Stella.  In your example someone refused to see the carved statue.
Both are irrelevant to my post....I was merely talking about statistical probability with no attached meaning.
Some want to see gods hand in the statistical improbability of the random appearance of life on Earth.  Thats fine.
I merely point out that when you add the incredible massive set of attempts in the universe (or attempts to find silver dollars in Texas), that statistic moves in the more probable direction....quite a bit so.
Some look at that as evidence there is more life in the universe.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #470 on: May 19, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
@Jammin: That analogy doesn't really hold. Firstly, given the laws of science as they are (for whatever reason that they are that way), it's even less likely that a rock would form from natural erosion into a highly detailed carving. Second, and more importantly, the reason we identify it as obviously being man-made (but still not 100% certainly) is our experience with sculptures that we do know with 100% certainty are man-made. We see a man made carving, and a very very similar carving, and we associate the two. Whereas there is no comparitor for "the universe". :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #471 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
So I'm going to go ahead and assume that science itself no longer claims knowledge (since there is no agreed upon definition of knowledge) and any such claim is only a philosophy of science or epistemological theory.

Gettier problems are very specific, and don't really destroy knowledge, or even necessarily the best definition of knowledge put forward of justified true belief. Basically, Getteir subverts the "true" part of that definition, actually make it so the proposition is false, unknowingly, and relying upon this. Many philosophers reject it outright, and his argument is basically akin to saying, well, we could always be a brain in a vat, or we could all be living in a matrix. There's always a philosophical skeptical objection that can be made to anything, and I think the key is notice the similarities in all these objections, and just, well, ignore them becuase you won't get anywhere taking those objections seriously.

Also, I would just say that, even if there isn't an "agreed upon" definition of knowledge, doesn't mean that science can't make claims of knowledge. The fact that science makes claims of knowledge is evidence in the very name of science, it means knowledge. You're basically arguing that science isn't science.

Science makes several claims that are itself not scientific, the most important being that reality is consistent, meaning that when I perform a test, and you perform the exact same test, that the results will be the same. This is a very basic foundation for the scientific method, one without which the method would make no sense whatsoever. Basically, science assumes that there is a Truth, and that it is working towards knowing this Truth.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #472 on: May 19, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
My point is that we have absolutely no idea what the mechanism that determines these constants is. To say that a life supporting universe is improbable makes numerous unsubstantiated assumptions.

I'm just going to quote this because everyone seems to have ignored it. There's no reason to make a statement on the probability of a life permitting universe one way or the other.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:16 AM »
True.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: May 20, 2012, 01:11:24 AM »
@Jammin: That analogy doesn't really hold. Firstly, given the laws of science as they are (for whatever reason that they are that way), it's even less likely that a rock would form from natural erosion into a highly detailed carving. Second, and more importantly, the reason we identify it as obviously being man-made (but still not 100% certainly) is our experience with sculptures that we do know with 100% certainty are man-made. We see a man made carving, and a very very similar carving, and we associate the two. Whereas there is no comparitor for "the universe". :P

Please forgive me for posting without having read the whole thread, but it seems to me that ariich just hit the nail on the head.  Sometimes people make the mistake of assuming that just because a result of random chance is familiar, it is therefore more improbable than an unfamiliar result.

For instance.  Imagine a set of twenty-six sided dice, each containing one letter of the English alphabet on each facet.  Now imagine that someone rolls eight of these dice, and the result of this dice roll is the English word 'alphabet.'  Obviously, the odds of this outcome are astronomical, right?  But the thing that some people fail to realize is that, 'jzmbleqf' is an equally improbable outcome.  In fact, any eight-letter combination is equally improbable, because they all have equal chances of being rolled in such a random-chance dice situation.  No one combination is truly any more likely than any other one combination.  The reason we think that 'alphabet' is a more improbable result than 'jzmbleqf' is that we attach meaning to the word 'alphabet.' With 'jzmbleqf', we are able to dismiss it as random chance, but with 'alphabet', we see higher meaning simply because it is a word we recognize. 

Don't get me wrong, if an English-speaking man was to roll the dice and get the word 'alphabet', that would be quite a coincidence.  But the coincidence would be that he spoke English, not that the dice roll happened to spell out an English word.  Think about this: what if a Chinese man with no knowledge of English rolled those alphabet dice?  Any result, including the word 'alphabet', would be equally meaningless and incomphrensible to him.  Are we to believe in some kind of fate or destiny just because we happen to have a word which matches a dice roll?

To put it in very simple terms, I'll switch to a regular six-sided numerical die.  When you roll a die, there is a 16.66% chance that the result will be a 5.  Now, say you predict that you will roll a 5.  What are the chances of rolling a 5?  Well, there's still a 16.66% chance.  Your prediction doesn't change the probability of any one outcome.  It only changes your perception of that outcome.  You will feel lucky for the coincidence of guessing correctly, but the truth is, the odds of rolling that 5 were exactly the same no matter what you guessed.  Because the meaning you attach to a number has no bearing on its probability of occuring by random chance. 

The same goes for the universe, albeit on a much larger scale.  There are infinite factors involved in this universe, infinite dice constantly being rolled.  And for the universe to turn out the way it has, yes, that is incredibly unlikely.  But why is it any more unlikely than any other result?  After all, in a random chance situation with infinite possibilities, there is still a guarantee that one of those possibilities will definitely occur.  The only reason we consider this outcome - the universe we have - to be impressive is because we are familiar with it. 

But 'alphabet' isn't any more improbable than 'jzmbleqf', 5 isn't more improbable than 6, and this universe isn't any more improbable than any other universe that might have existed. 

We think it is impossible that life could have come into existence by random chance only because life is familiar.  True, the elements of the universe had to interact in a very specific way to create life, but the odds of the elements interacting that way aren't really any more or less likely than any of the other quadrillions of ways the elements could have interacted.   All outcomes are equally improbable. 

Now, here's the issue.  Going back to my above example, if you were to roll the word 'alphabet' on a set of alphabetical dice a hundred times in a row, then you'd be onto something.  Because after a certain point, you start to get the feeling that those dice are somehow destined to be rolled as that word.  That's why scientists repeat experiments - because they want to make sure that the result is always the same before they go proclaiming their result as scientific fact.  Similarly, if you were to destroy the universe and then have it evolve again the exact same way, then yes, I would be pretty convinced that it is supposed to be this way, that perhaps some greater power designed it this way.  But as it is, I go back to ariich's point: do any of us have an alternate universe with which to compare the one we live in?  Do we say it must be the result of grand design because we have seen some other example of grand design which ended up being very similar?  Or do we just assume grand design because the universe we've got is so complex that we can't comprehend the possibility of random chance?

Sometimes a dice roll is just a dice roll.  And if the results have meaning to someone, well, good for them, but it doesn't automatically prove that some greater being carefully laid out those dice for that person.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #475 on: May 20, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
But one of the main problems is that these examples keep getting broken down into relatively simple terms to make them seem like they are more plausible.   They oversimplify what is, in fact, so far beyond difficult that it is a mathematical impossibility.    You're trying to explain something that is mathematically not possible, by giving an illustration of something that IS possible.   That makes it really easy...IF you forget the fact that it is mathematically impossible. 

I'd have to dig up my numbers again...but I want to repeat.   There is a measurable threshold of 10 to the power of some obscene number with so many zeros at the end it would make your head explode to one against before something is considered to be mathematically IMPOSSIBLE.   Life coming about by chance is *far beyond* that measurable threshold...yet people try to say that the very fact that we are here is proof that it DID happen.   Completely cyclical thinking.   

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: May 20, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »
If there are infinite possibilities, any one of them occuring is mathematically impossible.  But one of them will still occur.  Therefore, something mathematically impossible will occur.  Therefore, mathematical impossibility must be differentiated from true impossibility. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #477 on: May 20, 2012, 01:26:36 AM »
But one of the main problems is that these examples keep getting broken down into relatively simple terms to make them seem like they are more plausible.   They oversimplify what is, in fact, so far beyond difficult that it is a mathematical impossibility.    You're trying to explain something that is mathematically not possible, by giving an illustration of something that IS possible.   That makes it really easy...IF you forget the fact that it is mathematically impossible. 

I'd have to dig up my numbers again...but I want to repeat.   There is a measurable threshold of 10 to the power of some obscene number with so many zeros at the end it would make your head explode to one against before something is considered to be mathematically IMPOSSIBLE.   Life coming about by chance is *far beyond* that measurable threshold...yet people try to say that the very fact that we are here is proof that it DID happen.   Completely cyclical thinking.

But you're just saying it's impossible, you have to back that up. You not being able to comprehend the odds doesn't make the odds impossible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #478 on: May 20, 2012, 02:09:22 AM »
Mathematical impossibility occurs at 10 (50) to 1 against.   That is, 1 with 50 zeros after it.   Anything above that is considered to no longer be possible.   It's not going to happen...not ever. 

The chances of a single protein happening by chance is some primordial soup is 10 (113) to 1 against.    And the chances of the 2000 proteins needed to form a cell occurring all together in the right order by chance.... 10 (40,000) to 1 against.   

This is math...this is science. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #479 on: May 20, 2012, 02:13:11 AM »
Mathematical impossibility occurs at 10 (50) to 1 against.   That is, 1 with 50 zeros after it.   Anything above that is considered to no longer be possible.   It's not going to happen...not ever. 

The chances of a single protein happening by chance is some primordial soup is 10 (113) to 1 against.    And the chances of the 2000 proteins needed to form a cell occurring all together in the right order by chance.... 10 (40,000) to 1 against.   

That's awesome and all, but as I said....you're going to need to back it up. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you need proof.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »

As I see it, the problem with your 'mathematical impossibility' is that it doesn't allow for situations with a tremendous number of possible outcomes.  The greater the number of possible outcomes, the less the probability of each outcome.  So after a while, if you have enough variables, you will have enough possible outcomes that all of them are mathematically impossible.  My suggestion is that in something as grand as the entire universe, the number of possibilities is infinite or nearly infinite, and therefore any possibility is mathematically impossible.  Yet no matter how mathematically impossible it may be, one of those possibilities must happen.

Let me ask you a theoretical question.  Let's say you were to roll, for instance, a set of 10(1,000,000,000) dice.  Is it not true that any result of that dice roll would fall within the realm of mathematical impossibility?  And is it not true that nevertheless one of those mathematical impossibilities must occur? 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:24:38 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »

Why are you using a human defined term for mathematically impossible to define something on a scale clearly much larger than humans can comprehend?
We're talking about life in the form we know it occuring somewhere in a near infinite universe at any point over bajillions of years. All over space and time there would be mathematically improbable things happening by chance constantly, you've just assigned greater meaning to our concept of life occuring.
In this context I consider it a big leap even from nearly impossible to literally impossible. And it would have to be absolutely literally impossible for the concept of a higher power intervening to have any honest and legitimate place in this discussion imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2012, 03:47:38 AM »
Jammindude, I don't think you understand "mathematic impossibility". Impossible is a 0% chance. ANYTHING above that is possible.

Also, I'd like to highlight some very good points from Sigz and Jaffa:

My point is that we have absolutely no idea what the mechanism that determines these constants is. To say that a life supporting universe is improbable makes numerous unsubstantiated assumptions.

I'm just going to quote this because everyone seems to have ignored it. There's no reason to make a statement on the probability of a life permitting universe one way or the other.
I hadn't seen this, but I absolutely agree. People say that if certain constants had been a small amount out then nothing would have formed, and that's fine, but if we want to talk about probability, then we need to know what the range of possible constants was. Without knowing that, any attempts to quantify the probability is merely guesswork, and frankly meaningless in mathematical terms.

For instance.  Imagine a set of twenty-six sided dice, each containing one letter of the English alphabet on each facet.  Now imagine that someone rolls eight of these dice, and the result of this dice roll is the English word 'alphabet.'  Obviously, the odds of this outcome are astronomical, right?  But the thing that some people fail to realize is that, 'jzmbleqf' is an equally improbable outcome.  In fact, any eight-letter combination is equally improbable, because they all have equal chances of being rolled in such a random-chance dice situation.  No one combination is truly any more likely than any other one combination.  The reason we think that 'alphabet' is a more improbable result than 'jzmbleqf' is that we attach meaning to the word 'alphabet.' With 'jzmbleqf', we are able to dismiss it as random chance, but with 'alphabet', we see higher meaning simply because it is a word we recognize.
Such a great point, and one that I was sort of trying to get at when saying that we come across incredibly improbable stuff all the time, but you explained it much better. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2012, 04:05:36 AM »

Source?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »

That's math, not science. For starters, in order for this to be science, and for your numbers to be correct, someone would have had to run an impossible amount of trials, finding that proteins could not possibly form due to environmental conditions, and just in one cases, or something, finding those proteins did form. It's probably not even possible to do, as you suggest. However, there are experiments which say, well, the opposite of what you're suggesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

After Miller's death in 2007, scientists examining sealed vials preserved from the original experiments were able to show that there were actually well over 20 different amino acids produced in Miller's original experiments. That is considerably more than what Miller originally reported, and more than the 20 that naturally occur in life.[7] Moreover, some evidence suggests that Earth's original atmosphere might have had a different composition from the gas used in the Miller–Urey experiment. There is abundant evidence of major volcanic eruptions 4 billion years ago, which would have released carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere. Experiments using these gases in addition to the ones in the original Miller–Urey experiment have produced more diverse molecules.[8]

https://arxiv.org/abs/0904.0402

Of the twenty amino acids used in proteins, ten were formed in Miller's atmospheric discharge experiments. The two other major proposed sources of prebiotic amino acid synthesis include formation in hydrothermal vents and delivery to Earth via meteorites. We combine observational and experimental data of amino acid frequencies formed by these diverse mechanisms and show that, regardless of the source, these ten early amino acids can be ranked in order of decreasing abundance in prebiotic contexts. This order can be predicted by thermodynamics. The relative abundances of the early amino acids were most likely reflected in the composition of the first proteins at the time the genetic code originated. The remaining amino acids were incorporated into proteins after pathways for their biochemical synthesis evolved. This is consistent with theories of the evolution of the genetic code by stepwise addition of new amino acids. These are hints that key aspects of early biochemistry may be universal.

What that means, is that 10 amino acids are pretty much guaranteed to occur, due to thermodynamics. Hell, we've even detected these amino acids in space.

https://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2003/aug/11/amino-acid-detected-in-space

Since it was suggested more than 40 years ago, however, increasingly complex organic molecules have been discovered in space. Now astronomers have detected an amino acid - one of the building blocks of proteins - in interstellar dust clouds in our galaxy.

So, I really, really question the number's you've given. Considering the utter inevitability of many amino acids, it really isn't far stretched that proteins would form. Life is a chemical process, and it's one that changes the environment around it. Thermodynamics can be seen as dictating the start of this process, with the other amino acids coming about due to the process itself, via something similiar to evolution.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2012, 07:50:54 AM »

Source?

A site of dubious reliability, according to google.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=mathematical+impossibility+10^50&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gl=uk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

As I see it, the problem with your 'mathematical impossibility' is that it doesn't allow for situations with a tremendous number of possible outcomes.  The greater the number of possible outcomes, the less the probability of each outcome.  So after a while, if you have enough variables, you will have enough possible outcomes that all of them are mathematically impossible.  My suggestion is that in something as grand as the entire universe, the number of possibilities is infinite or nearly infinite, and therefore any possibility is mathematically impossible.  Yet no matter how mathematically impossible it may be, one of those possibilities must happen.

Let me ask you a theoretical question.  Let's say you were to roll, for instance, a set of 10(1,000,000,000) dice.  Is it not true that any result of that dice roll would fall within the realm of mathematical impossibility?  And is it not true that nevertheless one of those mathematical impossibilities must occur?

Hold on a sec...let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We just got to the point of a single cell!   We still have to keep it from dying, make sure it splits, eventually forms into complex life forms...etc...etc...etc...

Basically, you can take that die and only ONE of the sides causes anything to happen.   But every time you roll it, lightning must strike.  So first, you have to roll that scenario, and lightning has to strike at that instant.   Now, you have to roll that same scenario again, and if lightning strikes at that moment, you can keep moving forward.   If at any time you roll that outcome and lightning doesn't strike, you have to start all over again from the beginning. 

At the end of the day, even science has acknowledged that this is just not reasonably possible.   That is why the new theory is that life was seeded here by alien life forms....because life just coming about from nothing was just too remote.    So even science is starting to say that there had to be some sort of intelligent cause...they just reject the idea of God and say it was aliens instead.   

Many of you are getting caught up in the mathematical probability...and it's really a McGuffin.   The point REALLY is....what is more reasonable to believe?   That it was strictly by chance, or there was intelligent thought behind it?

But now, this is where someone brings up the "watchmaker" arguments (for and against), and at that point we're just repeating ourselves, so we should all just agree to disagree. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #487 on: May 20, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
Many of you are getting caught up in the mathematical probability...and it's really a McGuffin.   The point REALLY is....what is more reasonable to believe?   That it was strictly by chance, or there was intelligent thought behind it?

I don't know how much you know about biology, but looking at both historical records (fossils, dinosaurs) and currently living organisms, how can you use the word "intelligent" in any way or fashion?
I mean, if the design was intelligent, with the ultimate goal to produce humans, why the detour of dinosaurs? Or was the comet divine intervention too? Why all the hominids (Neanderthals etc.) that would die off?
Life on Earth is a massive accumulation of failures and extinctions.

rumborak
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:01:53 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »

I don't know how much you know about biology, but looking at both historical records (fossils, dinosaurs) and currently living organisms, how can you use the word "intelligent" in any way or fashion?
I mean, if the design was intelligent, with the ultimate goal to produce humans, why the detour of dinosaurs? Or was the comet divine intervention too? Why all the hominids (Neanderthals etc.) that would die off?
Life on Earth is a massive accumulation of failures and extinctions.

rumborak

I admit my friend that I cannot give a short answer for this.  The only way I know how to answer the first part is to take one of a hundred examples and write an entire essay on each.   

As far as the rest of what you said....I believe that it is simply not possible to absolutely determine what happened several million years ago with complete accuracy.   Scientists today trying to piece together any records from the ancient past are exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2vU8M6CYI

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
Come on dude. We know damn well what happened to all the Neanderthals and Stegosauruses. Don't hide behind a non-existing "uncertainty" of records.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."