Author Topic: Are We Truly In The End Times?  (Read 107172 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Are We Truly In The End Times?
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
I think most people of faith (or lack thereof) acknowledge the world is going to end.
Are you trying to squash the life out of my little one liner?

:(  Sorry.

I will make a prediction! End times will occur within 10 years or the next 25 trillion. Just my opinion, though.
So you acknowledge the world is going to end?

The Son will eventually destroy the Earth.

I agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »
Oh you Christian rascal.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »
I will make a prediction! End times will occur within 10 years or the next 25 trillion. Just my opinion, though.
So you acknowledge the world is going to end?

Our Sun will eventually destroy the Earth.

Once we get the word that that's about to happen I'm gonna send my son into space in a little capsule thingy so he can go be a badass on some other planet.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »

What a way to go indeed  :metal

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
The best part that the Earth won't just melt into nothing immediately. It'll continue to orbit inside the sun for a bit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
That's horrifying if you ask me.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
The sun is still 5,000,000,000 years from reaching it's Red Giant stage so we've got nothing to worry about.  :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
I thought that was just a guesstimate?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Those were the end of tiiiimes!!!
But then came the call!!!!

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Well, The Sun's age can be determined through carbon dating of matter in our solar system

Here's an article that explains as much and also goes into the math of determining a star's life.

https://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=389

There's also tons of info regarding Heliophysics on this official NASA webpage, Makes for quite interesting reading!  :tup

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/overview/index.html

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
I have no doubt that the world will end, I just don't see what's going on now that makes it so much more likely to be soon.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
Its gonna be a major change of our lifestyles, and way of thinking.

Its time to make a change
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »
Fuck me, I saw a May 21st judgement day sign here in Canada! UGH!!

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
You know what I find funny? These people who claim to take the bible literally and have deduced the day of reckoning must have skipped over Mathew 24:36-40.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
You know what I find funny? These people who claim to take the bible literally and have deduced the day of reckoning must have skipped over Mathew 24:36-40.

It feels like this should never happen under any circumstances, but:  I completely and without any reservation or exception agree with El Jonno about something he posted about the Bible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
Uh oh.

THE END IS NIGH!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »
:lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »
And for those of us who haven't read the bible?... what verse is that?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
And for those of us who haven't read the bible?... what verse is that?

It basically says that only god knows when the end will come, and no man can know, nor angel and so forth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #229 on: May 09, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »

It feels like this should never happen under any circumstances, but:  I completely and without any reservation or exception agree with El Jonno about something he posted about the Bible.

Do you feel dirty as well?  :-[

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
So, didn't think it needed a new thread, but I happened to stumble upon this a little while ago - and thought it was interesting

https://www.the-end.com/

May 27, 2012 we're all goners apparently

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
I'll mark it down in my calendar, just as I cross out the 26 we had last year.........

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »
So, didn't think it needed a new thread, but I happened to stumble upon this a little while ago - and thought it was interesting

*sigh*   ::)  Stuff like that really annoys me.  The Bible contains TONS of prophesies, yes.  But NONE of them have anything to do with what that author says they have to do with.  Just another attempt to prey on the gullible and ill informed.  :rant:

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

*sigh*   ::)  Stuff like that really annoys me.  The Bible contains TONS of prophesies, yes.  But NONE of them have anything to do with what that author says they have to do with.  Just another attempt to prey on the gullible and ill informed.  :rant:

Aren't the presence of prophecies problematic for Matthew 24:36-40? If the Bible were literally true, that is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »

Aren't the presence of prophecies problematic for Matthew 24:36-40? If the Bible were literally true, that is.

Do you mean the presence of purported modern-day attempts to come up with specific dates?  Yes, that is problematic because, as you pointed out, "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only."

Online Adami

« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »

Do you mean the presence of purported modern-day attempts to come up with specific dates?  Yes, that is problematic because, as you pointed out, "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only."

I'm not entirely sure that's true. I've asked Hef multiple times when the world will end, he just keeps shrugging his shoulders.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »
sweet, my mortgage payment is due on the 28th!

I'm with bosk, though...these endless silly predictions are annoying

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »

No, I mean, why are their prophecies in the Bible at all, if only the God knows when the world will end? Don't prophecies pretend to know such things?

Online Adami

« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
I think if god existed, and had a realllllly sick sense of humor (I'm talking SonataFanica sick), then it would destroy the world on Dec 20th 2012.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Omega

« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »
We know how all will end. Scientists tell us that the universe is expanding, and everything in it is growing farther and farther apart. As it does so, it grows colder and colder, and its energy is used up. Eventually all the stars will burn out and all matter will collapse into dead stars and black holes. There will be no light at all; there will be no heat; there will be no life; only the corpses of dead stars and galaxies, ever expanding into the endless darkness and the cold recesses of space; a universe in ruins. The entire universe marches irreversibly toward its grave. So not only is the life of each individual person doomed; the entire human race is doomed. The universe is plunging toward inevitable extinction—death is written throughout its structure. There is no escape. There is no hope.

:sadpanda:
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Online Adami

« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
We know how all will end. Scientists tell us that the universe is expanding, and everything in it is growing farther and farther apart. As it does so, it grows colder and colder, and its energy is used up. Eventually all the stars will burn out and all matter will collapse into dead stars and black holes. There will be no light at all; there will be no heat; there will be no life; only the corpses of dead stars and galaxies, ever expanding into the endless darkness and the cold recesses of space; a universe in ruins. The entire universe marches irreversibly toward its grave. So not only is the life of each individual person doomed; the entire human race is doomed. The universe is plunging toward inevitable extinction—death is written throughout its structure. There is no escape. There is no hope.

....do you work for Halmark?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
Are we in the end times? Almost definitely not.

Offline Omega

« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Isn't it Hallmark?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline jammindude

« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »

In the *complete* context of Matt 24...it seems clear that while we would not know the *exact* day or hour (or even month or year) there would be world conditions that would give away when it was close.   Then AFTER vs 40 he says that his servants should stay on the watch and be ready....because everyone else would be carrying on with business as usual...ignoring the signs that the end was near.

Example.  We can get a due date for when a baby is supposed to come....but no idea *EXACTLY* when the baby will come.   But when the mommy's getting really big...you know it will be any day now.  But exactly which day?  No one has any clue.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »

....do you work for Halmark?

:rollin