Author Topic: 2011/12 Tour Speculation Thread (not setlists)  (Read 16523 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: 2011 Tour Speculation
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
You know you're almost always going to have an instrumental or extended jam so JLB can dig his hole, so I say...

bring on Hell's Kitchen.  Overture 1928 would be a nice fill in for the entire SFaM album as well.  But really I just want Hell's Kitchen.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 01:15:19 AM »
I would want A Fortune In Lies as a opener. Then some new tracks from new album ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 03:20:33 AM »
Here's what I predict.....

WDADU: Nothing honestly.  Maybe The Ytse Jam to showcase the new drummer, but I even doubt that.

IAW: I know we'll probably see PMU and Metropolis, but other than that, maybe or maybe not.  Nothing needs to be retired, but nothing is really calling to be brought back.

Awake: I really think we'll see 6:00.  It's a great drumming song, and would be a great second-set opener.  We'll possibly see SDV as well, and possibly a Mirror/Lie thing.  Personally, I'd love to see LSOAD, but I don't know if it's in the cards.  I think AMBI is done for now, and I both don't care and don't expect anything else.......unless they did an Awake medley of sorts, which I haven't really thought of until just now.

FII: For some reason, it seems like they've been bringing back a lot of material lately, and I don't know if it will be this heavy this time around.  I think HY is done for good.  Of course, I'd love to see some stuff, but I don't think it'll be there.  Maybe TAMP?  And as much as I'd love to see some of the B-sides, I don't think the remaining members really care too much for that stuff.....except maybe Speak to Me, which I know JR really likes.

SFAM: I don't think we'll see anything.  Really, I can't think of a single song that will make it to the setlist this time around.

SDOIT: I actually think we'll see TGP.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't really played it since the Gigantour era, have they?  Other than that, I think everything else is a no-go except maybe Misunderstood and POSSIBLY TGD.

TOT: I don't really expect anything.  Maybe ES and HTF, but I don't see any real incentive they'd have to play those.

OVM: I actually think we'll see a fair amount of material.  I think almost everything is fair game except for maybe SS.  For some reason, I really think we'll see TW and IWBY, and maybe even the title track as an encore or something.

SC: Hopefully nothing.  But even then...maybe ITPOE?

BCSL: Probably Wither.  I hope to God that AROP dies a very horrible death.  Honestly, most fans don't really like it that much and they've played it at pretty much every show for the past two tours.

B-sides:  I don't expect much...but I would really really really like to see Don't Look Past Me.  They've never played it, but it totally seems like something JP would dig.  I think he's the lyricist?  Anyway, other than that, maybe Speak to Me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 03:32:41 AM »
SFAM: I don't think we'll see anything.  Really, I can't think of a single song that will make it to the setlist this time around.
I just can't figure out why most people here seem to be so confident about this. It's not like the band have been overplaying it lately...

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
Because it's a kind of album that works better when played as the full thing, instead of taking a few songs.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
they will play a track from sfam no matter what its arguably their best album and they even played home for the maiden fans.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
I just want them in Croatia ;D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
I want them to come here to Albuquerque in any way.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 04:01:21 AM »
I will probably attend their first show in Rome, on July 4th, and then post a sort of review here.

I just hope they don't open with ANTR again  :-\
- Marco

Offline Metropolis pt.-1

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:17 AM »
I will probably attend their first show in Rome, on July 4th, and then post a sort of review here.

I doubt they will. If they did that last time they played in Rome, it's extremely likely they wont do it again.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »

I doubt they will. If they did that last time they played in Rome, it's extremely likely they wont do it again.
I think that they will be opening with the song that is opening new album.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »
But what if the new album will still be unreleased by the time of the gig, which is to say, in two months and a couple of days?

Opening a concert with a song noone has ever heard without any information or introduction? I don't see that happening.
- Marco

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
But what if the new album will still be unreleased by the time of the gig, which is to say, in two months and a couple of days?

Opening a concert with a song noone has ever heard without any information or introduction? I don't see that happening.
Agree  ;) but I'm hoping that album will be release for this time ;) If not, as I said, I would want A Fortune In Lies as a opener  :tup

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2011, 10:40:58 PM »
Watching the documentary, do you guys think it's safe to say that the drummer audition songs will be on the next tour?
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »
Watching the documentary, do you guys think it's safe to say that the drummer audition songs will be on the next tour?

Hard to say. They played The Dance of Eternity last tour, so I doubt they'll play it again for a while. I can't really see A Nightmare to Remember being used in any capacity other than an opener, and they're probably more likely to open with a song from the new album. *shrugs*
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »

Hard to say. They played The Dance of Eternity last tour, so I doubt they'll play it again for a while. I can't really see A Nightmare to Remember being used in any capacity other than an opener, and they're probably more likely to open with a song from the new album. *shrugs*

They've played songs on subsequent tours before. Perhaps The Dance of Eternity was well received last time around and they are considering doing it again.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »
Why wouldn't they. All BC&SL songs need more play. And if they do 2:30 this tour, I could see them playing ANTR.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »
You know you're almost always going to have an instrumental or extended jam so JLB can dig his hole, so I say...

bring on Hell's Kitchen.  Overture 1928 would be a nice fill in for the entire SFaM album as well.  But really I just want Hell's Kitchen.

I really hope they play Hell's Kitchen

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:33 AM »

Me too.
BTW, Overture 1928 is nothing without Strange Deja-Vu ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 03:43:16 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, H'sK was only played once in its entirety, nearly thirteen years ago. Maybe the time has come.

:hefdaddy

As for the audition songs, TDOE and the nameless ballad are always welcome, ANTR isn't. :tdwn
- Marco

Online Dream Team

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »
The new setlists will be heavily loaded with songs from DT11, that's a foregone conclusion. Let's say 60 minutes worth. That leaves an hour and a half for other material. You know either PMU or Met or both will be in there. I'm hoping the rest of the set is rounded out with TGD, UAGM, AMBI, LTL, and either OV or ACOS as an encore. That would be a dream concert for me.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »
The new setlists will be heavily loaded with songs from DT11, that's a foregone conclusion. Let's say 60 minutes worth. That leaves an hour and a half for other material. You know either PMU or Met or both will be in there. I'm hoping the rest of the set is rounded out with TGD, UAGM, AMBI, LTL, and either OV or ACOS as an encore. That would be a dream concert for me.
I think that would be a drean concert pretty much for anyone (assuming that DT11 is a strong album). But i wouldn't mind some ballads to provide a few relaxed and more intimate moments :)
- Marco

Online Dream Team

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
I think that would be a drean concert pretty much for anyone (assuming that DT11 is a strong album). But i wouldn't mind some ballads to provide a few relaxed and more intimate moments :)

I'm assuming at least 1 of the new songs will be ballad-y. And the first half of OV is very soft.

Offline purpleplanet10

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:56 AM »
here are are a few i'd like to see, now that MP is not in control of the setlist i bet we might/will see a few curve balls

Take The Time
Space Dye Vest
6:00
Caught In A Web
You Not Me
Burning My Soul
Strange Deja Vu
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
Endless Sacrifice
In The Name Of God
These Walls
Prophets Of War
I Walk Beside You
The Dark Eternal Night
The Count of Tuscany

(Mangini already knows)

A Nightmare to Remember
The Spirit Carries On
The Dance of Eternity

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
I think we could see Space Dye Vest.  It feels right.

I think we could eliminate songs like the Best of Times and the AA suite.  These seem way too personal songs to play  after portnoy leaves the band.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »
I think we could eliminate songs like the Best of Times and the AA suite.  These seem way too personal songs to play  after portnoy leaves the band.

I don't think they'll take the 12-Step Suite out of rotation; the songs are too :metal.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »
I always wanted to heat all the AA Suite live... but I really doubt they will ever play it, because of personal Portnoy's lyrics... but the songs are killers  :metal :metal

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Well, I'm ASSuming once the official world tour begins in September, DT will be doing an "Evening With" type show to make the fans happy, so with that in mind I think set ONE will be the ENTIRE new album in full. I think set two will consist of a rotating set of 25-26 songs so............

Here's what I hope for.....

WDADU
"Only A Matter of Time", "Status Seeker" and "Light Fuse and Get Away"

IAW
"Metropolis", "Learning To Live" & "Take The Time"

Awake
"Space Dye Vest" (I think this will be the first song in the encore at ALL shows). I also think since this will be played every night that it will be the ONLY song from Awake we get this tour.

FII
"Take Away My Pain", "Peruvian Skies" and "You Not Me"

SFAM
"Through Her Eyes", "Strange Deja Vu" and "The Spirit Carries On"

SDOIT
"The Glass Prison", "Solitary Shell" and "About To Crash (reprise)/Losing Time (Grand Finale)

TOT
"In The Name of God" and "Endless Sacrifice"

OVM
"These Walls" and "I Walk Beside You"

SC
"In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 & 2", "Forsaken" and "The Dark Eternal Night"

BCSL
"Wither" and "Stargazer" (in honor of RJD). 

B-sides
"Don't Look Past Me" and "To Live Forever". 

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
It seems like everyone is ignoring my request for no "here's what I'm hoping for".

C'mon guys, we should be able to use logic and reasoning to determine a somewhat accurate setlist.

Let's try to have less of this:

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:59 AM »
Seeing as the tour starts in July and the new album doesn't come out till September, I'd say they're going to do exactly what they did on the last tour. Start with a "greatest hits" setlist, including ONE SONG from the new album, then gradually introduce more songs as the tour progresses. I wouldn't be surprised to see ANTR start the set for the first few shows, before being replaced by the opening track from DT11. I'd also put money on PMU, Metropolis, As I Am, CM and AROP being in the opening setlist before possibly being replaced as the tour goes on. I'm hoping to see either Trial of Tears or Peruvian Skies in the setlist too. Hell's Kitchen would be  :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
I think ANTR will be a returning song. I definitely think the 3 audition songs will be mainstays on the first part of the tour.
The tour is called "The Spirit Carries On", I think it's pretty evident that they will pull that one out.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
I think ANTR will be a returning song. I definitely think the 3 audition songs will be mainstays on the first part of the tour.
The tour is called "The Spirit Carries On", I think it's pretty evident that they will pull that one out.
Is the tour to be really called this way? I thought it was a misconception based on a misreading of the first press release coming from the band after MP's departure...
- Marco

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. Source?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
Well, I'm ASSuming once the official world tour begins in September, DT will be doing an "Evening With" type show to make the fans happy, so with that in mind I think set ONE will be the ENTIRE new album in full. I think set two will consist of a rotating set of 25-26 songs so............

Here's what I THINK.....

WDADU
"Only A Matter of Time", "Status Seeker" and "Light Fuse and Get Away"

IAW
"Metropolis", "Learning To Live" & "Take The Time"

Awake
"Space Dye Vest" (I think this will be the first song in the encore at ALL shows). I also think since this will be played every night that it will be the ONLY song from Awake we get this tour.

FII
"Take Away My Pain", "Peruvian Skies" and "You Not Me"

SFAM
"Through Her Eyes", "Strange Deja Vu" and "The Spirit Carries On"

SDOIT
"The Glass Prison", "Solitary Shell" and "About To Crash (reprise)/Losing Time (Grand Finale)

TOT
"In The Name of God" and "Endless Sacrifice"

OVM
"These Walls" and "I Walk Beside You"

SC
"In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 & 2", "Forsaken" and "The Dark Eternal Night"

BCSL
"Wither" and "Stargazer" (in honor of RJD). 

B-sides

better ::)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »

better ::)

Well, if that's actually what you think, you are certainly stretching with a number of those selections...

Status Seeker hasn't been played since 1993 (aside from the one instance in 2004).
Light Fuse and Get Away hasn't been played since 1993 (aside from 2 occasions in 2004) and has only been played 13 times in total.
Space Dye Vest has been unofficially played once. I can't see the band getting behind a song that would go over so poorly live, when they could play a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Take Away My Pain hasn't been played since 1998. I believe Portnoy was not a fan of this song, and I don't think the band or the fans miss it enough to make a revival.
You Not Me...this is a joke right? A song that has been played 3 times, and is often touted as one of DT's worst songs, is going to make a revival in 2011? I don't know about that...
Stargazer is not timely at all. I could see them playing this a year ago, when Ronnie's death was fresh, but not now. Plus DT has moved away from playing covers for the most part (however, that could change if a return to Evening With shows is indeed forthcoming).
The B-sides will not be played.
The rest of the songs are possibilities.

Understand I'm not bullying you, but don't just change "hope for" to "think" and expect me to do a complete turnaround; I'm going to call you out if I think you're jerking me around.
Of course, I could be very wrong about 1 or 2 songs here, but I don't see DT taking that many setlist risks when they are in such a precarious position.