Author Topic: I just realized it's ash Wednesday.  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I just realized it's ash Wednesday.
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
I had no clue. It's 3:10 and I just saw my first ashed forhead today. I must have walked by atleast 2000 people today. Does this concern any of you religous folk? I ask because my Grandmother used to bitch every single ash Wednesday about how fewer and fewer people receive ashes. I remember when I was in third grade, our whole school walked to the church and got the ashes. It was warm in the classroom that day and I was wearing a sweatshirt. I started sweating and wiped my forhead with my sleeve. My sweatshirt was covered with black and the next thing I know the teacher grabs me out of my chair by the arm and tells me to go to the principle's office. The principle walked me to the place the priest lived (forget the name, but it's also where we went for confession, it happened to be right across the street). She made me do confession, apologizing for wiping off my ashes, then had the priest give me a new cross on the head.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: I just realized it's ash Wednesday.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »
Does this concern any of you religous folk?  

No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Yes.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »

No.  Our Ash Wednesday service is tonight, and I'll walk out of there tonight with ashes on my forehead.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:50:10 PM »
Totally forgot about that custom until I saw a few people at Harvard Square with it. I used to get it as a kid too, I remember.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
The men's choir that I help run just sang at an Ash Wednesday service a couple hours ago. Of course, I'm not Catholic (and neither are 90% of the guys in the group), so I didn't receive the ashes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
I'm not Catholic either, but for whatever reason, my church has revived a number of rituals normally associated with Catholicism.  We take Communion not every week, but the first week of every month, which is six times more often than when I was growing up (I think most Protestant branches were down to just Easter and Christmas for a while) and we brought back ashes on Ash Wednesday a few years ago.  As I sit here typing, I have ashes on me.

It's fine with me.  I don't think of it as specifically Catholic, more like "Old-school Christian" in general.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:41:01 AM »
Not worried.  It's a man-made custom anyway.  If it makes people feel better about themselves to observe it, then OK, but whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 04:44:31 AM »
I got ashes at school. I still don't understand the point. I get eating the eucharist and fasting - ashes don't make any sense to me.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »

No.

Catholics are in the minority, so it doesn't surprise me.  However, at Notre Dame EVERYONE had ashes yesterday, and my church where I played 2 services was packed both times.  So I know the tradition is still alive in the right circles.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
My roommate egged me on to do lent, so now I'm going for a month without coffee (which I was consuming way too much, so that's definitely good). Booyah for being a cultural Christian! :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."