Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 41018 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2024, 08:38:11 AM »
Slow motion farming not you thing?   ;D

:rollin    Had to be one of the single dumbest sections of a movie I’ve ever watched.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2024, 09:42:12 AM »
Slow mo is Zack Snyder’s trademark. His 4 hour Justice League movie(Which I honestly liked) could have been 3 hours without the slow mo.

After Army of the Dead and these two Rebel Moon trash fires, I hope he stops getting work.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2024, 07:23:44 PM »
I watched it this week as well, very intriguing, and a good look into how fucked the US prison system is in how it's built to only enhance the worst aspects of what got the prisoners there in the first place. I mean, yeah, it's cleaned and polished for TV, but they let just enough of prison reality through.

Finished this up. It was a neat look behind the curtain but at the same time with Netflix’s history of cherry picking certain aspects of story’s and what not for their “documentaries” I’m wondering how ‘real’ it was. Especially given that was only a holding facility and not a full blown prison. 

I did obviously develop some feelings for some of the featured inmates but at the same time needed to remind myself those folks were there for a reason.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: April 22, 2024, 09:16:11 AM »
Finished this up. It was a neat look behind the curtain but at the same time with Netflix’s history of cherry picking certain aspects of story’s and what not for their “documentaries” I’m wondering how ‘real’ it was. Especially given that was only a holding facility and not a full blown prison. 

I did obviously develop some feelings for some of the featured inmates but at the same time needed to remind myself those folks were there for a reason.

There was that one moment that made you feel bad for the one guy who was struggling and then they say "well, remember him from the news? he was a mass shooter" and like  :facepalm: yeah, it's TV meant to get an emotion out of you, but it is also real people and real fucked up situations. 

I felt like it had a "happy ending" all things considered, but I don't get it.  They kept saying 23 and 1, so why are the options full openness or only 1 hour of openness?  Why don't they get like 8 hours of open time?  Why is all this happening in the jail and not prison?  I didn't realize that until the end of the show that a lot of these people were just waiting trial.  I guess I missed that where the was only a temporary home for everyone. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #459 on: Today at 02:33:32 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but finished 3 Body Problem last night. Overall I liked it, but didn't love it. It's difficult to say why I didn't love it though. Spoilers for the entire show below.

When the VR game stuff started I was a bit worried because I didn't really think it was that cool of a concept. But I actually came to really like it when I realized that we were actually learning real stuff about the San-Ti behind a veil of human-looking characters. Without having ever seen the San-Ti, we actually have a pretty good base for what they're about, and even some cool hints to their history and even physiology, which I thought was neat.

I actually like most of the characters in this show, I thought they were well written and well acted. And obviously the Judgment Day scene is crazy. I honestly didn't think they would do it, but damn, they really went all out on that one, very uncomfortable and memorable. That said, there are just little bits and pieces spread across this show that just give me an underlying sense that stuff just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm missing stuff, or it will be answered in later seasons.

As memorable and striking as the boat scene was, I don't think it made a lot of sense. The whole reason they couldn't do a normal operation was because they were worried that they would damage the information they needed, and their solution is to... literally shred the boat into tiny slices?

If the San-Ti are a collective hive mind, supervised by a basically omnipresent hyper-intelligent AI, how could a single lone pacifist intercept Wenjie's initial message and warn her not to reply without the entire species knowing about it instantly? And why is Wenjie in any way surprised when the San-Ti turn out to be hostile when literally the first piece of information she ever learns about them is that Earth will be conquered if the San-Ti ever learn of it's existence? I thought she was going to reply anyways because her experiences had made her lose faith in humanity and she just wanted to bring about it's end and cause chaos. I just thought it was really strange when I found out that she actually thought they were coming to save us and teach us a better way of life or something. Don't really understand where that came from.

A ticking clock is usually good for establishing urgency or stakes, but as others have pointed out, I do think the show suffers somewhat from that ticking clock counting down 400 years. I do actually like the concept of that, and it's actually realistic. But the narrative itself suffers somewhat from that, and is probably part of the reason why people perceive the final few episodes as not as engaging. I haven't read the books, and I'm sure they find a good story to tell anyway, but I have a difficult time seeing how this plays out in the rest of the series. Seems to me you either jump forward in time if the San-Ti invasion is ever going to be a thing, in which case all the characters that anchor us to the story are probably long dead; or you play out the entire story well before the San-Ti ever reach Earth, in which case the narrative suggests that we're building toward something we won't get to see. We seem to still be able to have immediate conflict with the San-Ti through the sophon, so I'm sure there is still a way to tell a cool story here, but as of right now it feels like a risky move.

Speaking of the sophon, I am a bit confused as to why humanity isn't entirely and utterly fucked. When the sophon revealed itself and stated that it was going to stop human progress, I just thought "okay well that's it then, there's no way to overcome that." But then it's sort of just... dropped. For understandable reasons, otherwise there would be no story. But it seems like humanity is carrying on just fine in using technology to prepare for the future invasion. I thought the sophon was basically just going to shut down all modern computer-based technology, throwing us back to industrial society, making us completely helpless to resist the San-Ti when they arrive. From what I've seen, the sophon seems perfectly capable of doing this. So why is everything still perfectly fine aside from an inability to run particle accelerators (unless we fire one up on the moon, in which case we can still do that too)? Literally the most significant things the sophon did after it said it was going to halt human progress completely was to hack into two cars and speak to a few people through a TV screen.

These things aren't really all that bad, it's just that there are oddly many things like this that constantly took me out of the story, even if just for brief moments. As I said, maybe some of this stuff is addressed in the books or will be addressed in future seasons, but that doesn't help me right now very much.

I realized as I was writing this post that I sound more negative than I intended when I started. I actually did like the show, and I look forward to future seasons. I guess it is a testament to the show that it made me think this much about it, or even care about any issues, something that not all shows can do.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #460 on: Today at 03:54:49 PM »
I just finished 3 Body Problem too.

Overall, it didn't work for me but there were lots of parts I liked. Unstructured thoughts:

The actors seemed very capable for the most part. Esp loved Benedict Wong as the agent/handler.

There was something really off about the dialogue and/or direction in much ot it, though. I don't know what, but there was a very false feeling through most of it. I never once felt my disbelief suspended or gave a toss about any character. I don't think it was the actors. Maybe the scripting.

The ship scene was so disturbing. Very well done.

Nothing really made sense. Nor was there any tension.

Adrian Edmondson!  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #461 on: Today at 06:50:32 PM »
The ship scene was incredible and yes, disturbing. Very memorable.

I do get the same vibe thinking back about watching the show. I really liked the show, but it felt a bit shallow? Like 8 episodes wasn't enough.

Also, I need to rewatch the last episode, I don't remember if I was tired or high but the wallfacer thing went over my head on that viewing. Like, I think I got it, but it felt rushed or maybe I missed something on the first viewing.

Edit: Decided to google it and I did understand the wallfacer idea after all. I think it's a really cool idea, and I wish we could have seen that explored more in this season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: Today at 07:07:31 PM »
Also, I need to rewatch the last episode, I don't remember if I was tired or high but the wallfacer thing went over my head on that viewing. Like, I think I got it, but it felt rushed or maybe I missed something on the first viewing.

I get not wanting to explain 'every' little detail about a story to let the audience formulate and fill in some gaps....but...the wallfacer intro. and storyline.....for me, someone who has no tie to the source material....it was a very quick jump to introducing that position to the story and it wasn't really detailed all that well. Yes, they explained it and I 'get' what the wallfacer's do....but it was pretty sudden and just thrown into the mix at the last minute.

My only real issue with the season was that you can feel and see that this is a huge story and we were given like a little sliver of it all and now have to wait. I agree 8 episodes was not enough....should have been 12 or even 16 to allow folks to really get into it. It was over before you knew it.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #463 on: Today at 07:15:22 PM »
^Exactly, and thanks for confirmation that I wasn't the only one caught off guard by the introduction of the wallfacer. I hope this gets renewed because if it is a sliver, then season 2 could be epic.