Author Topic: Why do people reject religion? I think I know  (Read 32820 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Why do people reject religion? I think I know
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2011, 11:39:28 AM »
What if that new species was actually an old species that we never found out about until now?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »

You think evolution is a trick being played on us by satan?

Oh my.
Not in the sense of it not being plausible, but in a sense that in the "grand scheme" of our eternal existence evolution whether it's true or not is not important.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2011, 12:39:42 PM »

Oh my.
Not in the sense of it not being plausible, but in a sense that in the "grand scheme" of our eternal existence evolution whether it's true or not is not important.

So if you think it is plausible, and the scientific community is in unanimous agreement of its validity, why dont you believe it?
The ranking of evolution in the "grand scheme of things", or its importance, is a personal choice by you, and quite frankly has nothing to do with whether it is real and correct.  

I personally feel that searching for the explanation of things is exactly what a god would hope for us.  The search for knowledge is not a bad thing as you have suggested.  It does not take us away from god, but is the very thing that brings us closer to god.  Merely worshipping him and ignoring the brilliance of his creation (if he exists and created all of this) seems to me to be remaining stagnant.
I see the view of seeking knowledge being a bad this as merely a form of control in organized religion.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
BTW: of course God and evolution could be both real and many believe this.  It certainly makes much more sence than believing that the complexities of our world are due to billions and billions of natures tiny little "accidents".
I think the exact opposite is true. It makes much more sense that given the incredible vastness of the universe, literally too big to comprehend, that this counters the claim that all the right conditions couldn't occur together to allow life to appear and evolve. We are in the position of being on one infinitesimal planet that did manage to achieve all these conditions, and so we exist. We only need to glance around our solar system to see planets that have failed to have life. How many planets are there within just our own galaxy, that have failed to produce life? How many planets are there in the ENTIRE universe!? It is an utterly incalculable number, so I think it is fair to say that the universe has had plenty of opportunities to allow for life. We succeeded, hence we are here now. It is amazing. And despite being infinitely unlikely for us personally, it is pretty much inevitable given the size of the universe that life would appear somewhere. Life is a statistical inevitability.

To me, that makes much more sense than having to make the unbelievable assumption that there must therefore be a God for us to exist.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
What he said. ^

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »

Oh my.

So if you think it is plausible, and the scientific community is in unanimous agreement of its validity, why dont you believe it?
The ranking of evolution in the "grand scheme of things", or its importance, is a personal choice by you, and quite frankly has nothing to do with whether it is real and correct.  

I personally feel that searching for the explanation of things is exactly what a god would hope for us.  The search for knowledge is not a bad thing as you have suggested.  It does not take us away from god, but is the very thing that brings us closer to god.  Merely worshipping him and ignoring the brilliance of his creation (if he exists and created all of this) seems to me to be remaining stagnant.
I see the view of seeking knowledge being a bad this as merely a form of control in organized religion.
You are correct that my indifference to evolution has no bearing on its validity. As I stated, I do not discount the profound, abundant evidence that science produces to explain a great deal of our natural world. I do believe that God is the ‘ultimate’ scientist and he undoubtedly has crafted creation to reflect his majesty and capabilities. And it is true that God implores us to seek wisdom and knowledge…it does in fact give us a better understanding of his will and divine spirit. It is the source of the knowledge and wisdom that one must be careful as they ingest it.
   I think it’s unfortunate that I read time and time again that a lot of you have had encounters with ‘overly’ religious “Christians”. I know my Pastor teaches us not to get caught up in being religious, that it is weird and does turn people off to God. I personally adhere to the motto “Honor God and Help People” Although this discussion I’ve been involved in today doesn’t really reflect it, I generally try not to proselytize to people or go all evangelical. I have in instances been a bit “preachy” during this debate so I kind of deviated a bit from that rule. Hopefully I haven't offended any of you.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
I think its funny how God is male to everyone here.  Given the fact that females are the bringers of life.  Maybe not funny, but I find it interesting.  I feel like God cannot have a gender. 

To me I think God is more like the Force in Star Wars, minus all the magic tricks. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
Well when God is mentioned in the bible the word He is used so I think that has something to do with it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
I don't think it's surprising that a paternal society results in a male god.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »
 Perhaps the fossils we are finding of the extremely old bones of man are remnants of our time on earth before we gave into temptation. Who knows. Obviously you can’t deny the tangible evidence of those fossils. My honest opinion (and biblical theory)is this. Man once enjoyed the perfect harmony and beauty of this planet as every other living animal does today. We were created just as every other creature was…to live ‘forever’. That’s how God intended it to be. We were not individuals and had no concept of that individuality that accompanies man today and were content with just ‘being’.
     The remainder of God’s creatures on this earth have no desire for individuality because they still abide God’s instruction and are content with his consistent and caring provision. Animals are satisfied with just being ‘animals’, they are abiding God’s commandment not to ‘eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil’ and to just trust in him. I believe God gave each and every animal on this planet that instruction. Don’t give in to that temptation of “knowing”  and you will enjoy utter peace. That may seem silly but I do not doubt in any manner that God communicates with all his creation and would offer that gift to them all.
    Man is the only one of God’s creatures that does not “fit in” on this planet and that is because we chose to disobey God and become “like” him in gaining that knowledge of good and evil. When we were thrown out of the Garden…we were essentially kicked out of the “club” that every other animal and intelligent species on this planet enjoys to this day. A Robin is a Robin today, yesterday and tomorrow. When one dies there is another Robin…it’s not “Mr. Johnson Robin” died how sad. Robin’s along with the rest of God’s animals will live on for countless hundreds of years because they have accepted the humility and decree that God has set before them. Once man chose to ignore that decree and find out for himself just what this life was all about we forfeited our eternal existence that was promised to us for a spiritual battle that wages everyday between us and a very jealous devil.  As we try to re-establish that Holy link that is ingrained within us with God and re-acquire everlasting life the enemy does all he can to derail our efforts to re-connect with God. Satan is ticked that God has given us a second chance to enjoy his eternal comfort and has forbid him from EVER feeling that greatness again. So enter the author of confusion to try and confound and confuse us in any means possible for us to lose sight of the fact that God does exist and that we do have a heavenly savior.  

Could evolution be a part of the process God used to put all this into place?  Maybe…but I just tend to see it as a device and means used to distract us from more important issues.
Look, I'm a Christian, but I have no idea where you got most of this stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
I think the more appropriate question is "Why do people accept religion?"

Everything my life experience has told me has blatantly said that humans are not religious by nature (but rather philosophical) so I think it's more appropriate to puzzle over how people accept ancient doctrines that aren't based in anything but faith.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
  Perhaps the fossils we are finding of the extremely old bones of man are remnants of our time on earth before we gave into temptation. Who knows. Obviously you can’t deny the tangible evidence of those fossils. My honest opinion (and biblical theory)is this. Man once enjoyed the perfect harmony and beauty of this planet as every other living animal does today. We were created just as every other creature was…to live ‘forever’. That’s how God intended it to be. We were not individuals and had no concept of that individuality that accompanies man today and were content with just ‘being’.
     The remainder of God’s creatures on this earth have no desire for individuality because they still abide God’s instruction and are content with his consistent and caring provision. Animals are satisfied with just being ‘animals’, they are abiding God’s commandment not to ‘eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil’ and to just trust in him. I believe God gave each and every animal on this planet that instruction. Don’t give in to that temptation of “knowing”  and you will enjoy utter peace. That may seem silly but I do not doubt in any manner that God communicates with all his creation and would offer that gift to them all.
    Man is the only one of God’s creatures that does not “fit in” on this planet and that is because we chose to disobey God and become “like” him in gaining that knowledge of good and evil. When we were thrown out of the Garden…we were essentially kicked out of the “club” that every other animal and intelligent species on this planet enjoys to this day. A Robin is a Robin today, yesterday and tomorrow. When one dies there is another Robin…it’s not “Mr. Johnson Robin” died how sad. Robin’s along with the rest of God’s animals will live on for countless hundreds of years because they have accepted the humility and decree that God has set before them. Once man chose to ignore that decree and find out for himself just what this life was all about we forfeited our eternal existence that was promised to us for a spiritual battle that wages everyday between us and a very jealous devil.  As we try to re-establish that Holy link that is ingrained within us with God and re-acquire everlasting life the enemy does all he can to derail our efforts to re-connect with God. Satan is ticked that God has given us a second chance to enjoy his eternal comfort and has forbid him from EVER feeling that greatness again. So enter the author of confusion to try and confound and confuse us in any means possible for us to lose sight of the fact that God does exist and that we do have a heavenly savior.   

Could evolution be a part of the process God used to put all this into place?  Maybe…but I just tend to see it as a device and means used to distract us from more important issues.

I gotta give it to the writers of the bible. They knew the human race was a gullible breed and struck gold.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
Well when God is mentioned in the bible the word He is used so I think that has something to do with it.

Or "Us" (in Genesis), since that section takes root in the Enuma Elis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En%C3%BBma_Eli%C5%A1#Relationship_with_the_Bible)

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »

Or "Us" (in Genesis), since that section takes root in the Enuma Elis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En%C3%BBma_Eli%C5%A1#Relationship_with_the_Bible)

rumborak

Yes the hebrew plural is used to describe god, but it's still masculine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
     The remainder of God’s creatures on this earth have no desire for individuality because they still abide God’s instruction and are content with his consistent and caring provision. Animals are satisfied with just being ‘animals’, they are abiding God’s commandment not to ‘eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil’ and to just trust in him. I believe God gave each and every animal on this planet that instruction. Don’t give in to that temptation of “knowing”  and you will enjoy utter peace. That may seem silly but I do not doubt in any manner that God communicates with all his creation and would offer that gift to them all.
    Man is the only one of God’s creatures that does not “fit in” on this planet and that is because we chose to disobey God and become “like” him in gaining that knowledge of good and evil. When we were thrown out of the Garden…we were essentially kicked out of the “club” that every other animal and intelligent species on this planet enjoys to this day. A Robin is a Robin today, yesterday and tomorrow. When one dies there is another Robin…it’s not “Mr. Johnson Robin” died how sad. Robin’s along with the rest of God’s animals will live on for countless hundreds of years because they have accepted the humility and decree that God has set before them. Once man chose to ignore that decree and find out for himself just what this life was all about we forfeited our eternal existence that was promised to us for a spiritual battle that wages everyday between us and a very jealous devil.  As we try to re-establish that Holy link that is ingrained within us with God and re-acquire everlasting life the enemy does all he can to derail our efforts to re-connect with God. Satan is ticked that God has given us a second chance to enjoy his eternal comfort and has forbid him from EVER feeling that greatness again. So enter the author of confusion to try and confound and confuse us in any means possible for us to lose sight of the fact that God does exist and that we do have a heavenly savior.   

Could evolution be a part of the process God used to put all this into place?  Maybe…but I just tend to see it as a device and means used to distract us from more important issues.

I gotta give it to the writers of the bible. They knew the human race was a gullible breed and struck gold.
The Bible wasn't an international conspiracy to dupe people into submission. Crack a history book.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
Zook and W.W.  you guys are to kind.  :tdwn

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:44 PM »
Zook and W.W.  you guys are to kind.  :tdwn
Why do I get a thumbs down? Your opinion really matters to me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:53:50 PM by William Wallace »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
Yeah, WW was defending the bible, but he really doesn't know either way, just like I don't, but come on now. I'll stop though before Bosk and Hef show up to insult me as usual.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »
You smell funny.

:pwnt:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »
:'(

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
Yeah, WW was defending the bible, but he really doesn't know either way, just like I don't, but come on now. I'll stop though before Bosk and Hef show up to insult me as usual.
But I do know and you could, too. Just try that book cracking thing I mentioned. The answer lies within.

Bonus points for the Octavarium reference

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »
:octavarium:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »
I'm afraid I will have to rule that there will be no bonus points for a reference to The Answer Lies Within.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »
I'm afraid I will have to rule that there will be no bonus points for a reference to The Answer Lies Within.

Gospel truth, from the mouth of HefDaddy.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
That's how all that crap got started several years ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
What are you on about now?

:hefdaddy
Code: [Select]
:hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
There is simply no need for fries.

Offline Ytse2112

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »
Many people turn away from religion because of all the stories they hear about the crazy mother who drowned her kids in the car because God told her to, or the Priest who diddles little boys, or the TV evangelist who takes Grandmas money promising her she'll meet her husband in the afterlife.  It's unfortunate.  Some Christians can justify that if something good happens to them, it's God's gift, but if something bad or sinful happens...... it's the Devil tempting them. 

Personaly, I believe in God.  I think that too many things have happened in my life that are not just a coinsidence.  I've never been someone who has pushed my beliefs on someone based on the fact that i'm not a "role model" Christian.  Many Christians are told that they are hippocrates because they may have a smoke or drink a beer or six.  That is why I keep my beliefs to myself in less they want to know. 

It comes down to respect.  We all need to stop judging each other.  Just because you believe in God, dosen't mean you're perfect or weak minded.  Just because you are an Atheist dosen't make you evil.  It's our actions that make us who we are.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
Many people turn away from religion because of all the stories they hear about the crazy mother who drowned her kids in the car because God told her to, or the Priest who diddles little boys, or the TV evangelist who takes Grandmas money promising her she'll meet her husband in the afterlife.  It's unfortunate.  Some Christians can justify that if something good happens to them, it's God's gift, but if something bad or sinful happens...... it's the Devil tempting them. 

Personaly, I believe in God.  I think that too many things have happened in my life that are not just a coinsidence.  I've never been someone who has pushed my beliefs on someone based on the fact that i'm not a "role model" Christian.  Many Christians are told that they are hippocrates because they may have a smoke or drink a beer or six.  That is why I keep my beliefs to myself in less they want to know. 

It comes down to respect.  We all need to stop judging each other.  Just because you believe in God, dosen't mean you're perfect or weak minded.  Just because you are an Atheist dosen't make you evil.  It's our actions that make us who we are.

I often find that some believers I know think that less observant Christians are too epicurus.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2011, 11:35:55 PM »
Alright. I just wanted to point out that I inserted a DT reference into a discussion about the New Testament.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2011, 11:52:03 PM »
DT is a Christian band? OHS NOSE!

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »
My non-belief stems from the desire to believe what is true. I do not think I am inclined to one or the other; If I am to find any sufficient evidence for a god or gods I would believe that. I attended church for many years, pondered the existence of god(s)(mainly the Christian god) for many years. The moral logistics of humanity, god(s) and existence plagued me greatly.

However I did not heavily look into evidence of existence of god(s) until shortly after college. This was when I became familiar with the works of C.Sagan, R.Dawkins, M.Kaku, R.Feynman, N.Tyson and so many more. I couldn't get enough science and knowledge about the universe. The more I read and learned the more I confirmed that religion of any kind has no bases in reality. Not only reality but it has little moral value beyond the obvious humanism and altruism brought about by evolution.

Once I am financially secure I will be going back to school to study physics and perhaps dabble in biology. Education is expensive but the price of ignorance is not one I am willing to pay.                

Edit: didn't realize the strike through was on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:18:22 PM by El JoNNo »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:16 AM »
lol Richard Dawkins
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »
BTW, another good reason to reject religion, or rather, Abrahamic religions: Their inherently negative outlook on humanity. As a human, you suck by default and need to dig your way out of the muck. I'm rather the "in dubio pro reo" guy: You are not guilty until you do something bad yourself.
That way I also don't have to bend over backwards in my morality when I ponder how babies can go to heaven when they haven't accepted Jesus yet :lol

rumborak
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:56:49 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »
Theologically speaking, if you read Romans Paul would suggest that some people do not follow God/Christ because God has not elected them to do so.  I'll let you you guys chew on that one for a while.