Author Topic: I think I've figured out the one thing that could make DT 11 a classic.  (Read 8712 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: I think I've figured out the one thing that could make DT 11 a classic.
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
Yeah and that Slayer need to stop doing all that shouting and playing really fast and singing about the Devil and stuff.
And what's with that Clapton guy playing really slowly? A few more unison lines and some sweep arpeggios woould make all the difference on his next album.

Since no one else has, I'll compliment you on an excellent post. No one seems to have a problem with other artists doing the same thing over and over again (AC/DC).

Offline dongringo

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
Yeah and that Slayer need to stop doing all that shouting and playing really fast and singing about the Devil and stuff.
And what's with that Clapton guy playing really slowly? A few more unison lines and some sweep arpeggios woould make all the difference on his next album.

Since no one else has, I'll compliment you on an excellent post. No one seems to have a problem with other artists doing the same thing over and over again (AC/DC).

I do. That's why I haven't listened to AC/DC since Back In Black. And I'm someone.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:59 AM »

I do. That's why I haven't listened to AC/DC since Back In Black. And I'm someone.  ;)
YOU'RE NOBODY.

:neverusethis:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
The Beatles changed up their style a dozen times over, and they're arguably one of the most universally loved bands in rock history.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emtee

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
Obviously a band is supposed to make music that makes them proud. I think there is a slight
distinction between any band that proudly associates themselves with "progressive" as part
of their description because that label (IMO) denotes that you feel a constant need to
change and hence...progress. Other genres by and large are perfectly happy banging out
catchy melodies and hooks, or good dance beats..etc, but progressive bands by their very
nature are expected to move forward into new ground on each album. At least that's what
I've always felt.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Obviously a band is supposed to make music that makes them proud. I think there is a slight
distinction between any band that proudly associates themselves with "progressive" as part
of their description because that label (IMO) denotes that you feel a constant need to
change and hence...progress. Other genres by and large are perfectly happy banging out
catchy melodies and hooks, or good dance beats..etc, but progressive bands by their very
nature are expected to move forward into new ground on each album. At least that's what
I've always felt.
Problem is, nobody can even agree what "progressive" means, so it's still all down to opinion.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
I've always felt.
Problem is, nobody can even agree what "progressive" means, so it's still all down to opinion.

Agree 100%. Though most bands don't like to associate themselves with a "progressive" label
there are others that do. And when a band proudly embraces "progressive" as part of
their own description, that's when I feel differently.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »
I agree with you.Why is Tool called progressive metal/rock?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »
I mean progressive to me means doing something which others consider unusual or risky, but doing it in such a way that it's still music and not just noise. Near impossible to do, but amazing when it's pulled off.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
I hope they get rid of the tired "verses" and "choruses" in songs.  That shit is gettin' old.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
Changing isn't necesarily progressing.
DT cover different styles within a single song. That's variety enough for me. No two albums sound the same, unlike many bands. SC and BC&SL are probably most similar, style-wise, but they sound different enough to me. If the next album sounds very similar to these two that would probably be a "style" developing, but they really have changed it up on previous albums.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »
The most progressive thing ever would be to have 79 minutes of silence. It would be hailed as a masterpiece.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
My main issue with the last DT-albums is the solo-sections, so changing that back to a similar style like they did on Awake/FII/SFAM/6DOIT would be awesome.
I'm not hating on everything they've done since 6DOIT, but a lot of it is hard for me to listen to, because after 3-4 solo's in a row and a lot of wankery, I've forgotten all about how the song started, sadly this "new" style of progressive music is apparently becoming popular, and it's sort of the same issue I had with Haken.
Sure there are good parts, but if there isn't any connection between them... that just leaves me confused.  ???

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
I just want the next album to sound beautiful.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
I just want the next album to sound beautiful.
This,
The solo tradeoffs have gotten really tired, yeah.
And that ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
My main issue with the last DT-albums is the solo-sections, so changing that back to a similar style like they did on Awake/FII/SFAM/6DOIT would be awesome.
I'm not hating on everything they've done since 6DOIT, but a lot of it is hard for me to listen to, because after 3-4 solo's in a row and a lot of wankery, I've forgotten all about how the song started, sadly this "new" style of progressive music is apparently becoming popular, and it's sort of the same issue I had with Haken.
Sure there are good parts, but if there isn't any connection between them... that just leaves me confused.  ???

This is quite true.  As I said before, back in the day of DT, the solo sections complimented and worked with the song, the last couple of albums they have divided themselves away from the songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:43 AM »
Changing isn't necesarily progressing.
DT cover different styles within a single song. That's variety enough for me. No two albums sound the same, unlike many bands. SC and BC&SL are probably most similar, style-wise, but they sound different enough to me. If the next album sounds very similar to these two that would probably be a "style" developing, but they really have changed it up on previous albums.
My thoughts exactly