Author Topic: Diablo Swing Orchestra  (Read 6798 times)

Offline nattmorker

Re: Diablo Swing Orchestra
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
I really love DSO, so I'm really looking forward to this new album. It's gonna be the first one with the new singer although they already recorded a song with her (Jigsaw Hustle). I was wondering whether they were going to include that song in this new album, glad they did it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
I'm a huge fan of swing music, but this hasn't totally blow me away...yet. I'm still listening.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
So hyped for this one! Pandora's Piñata and Sing-Along Songs are damn great.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
bump.

announcement details coming next week on the new album.

https://www.facebook.com/diabloswingorchestra/photos/a.10153378028355316.1073741825.61680950315/10159302150195316/?type=3&theater

"We've heard that patience is a virtue... but finally ladies and gentlemen we're getting there! We'd like to thank you guys for sticking with us during these 5 years of waiting!

The label is finishing up the press release and we will be able to share the release schedule with you next week. There will be singles, pre-orders, swing, doom-country, choirs, three goats, lounge music featuring a slappin' bass, lovely strings and horns and the whole kalamazoo!"

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
Really looking forward to this! It's been so long since the last álbum, i love the 3 albums.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
December 8th

https://www.facebook.com/diabloswingorchestra/photos/a.10153378028355316.1073741825.61680950315/10159333138605316/?type=3&theater

It's pretty cool how they actually show the release dates for the singles. I think more bands should be transparent about that, so I don't have to keep constantly checking every few days to see if they've released anything yet.

Noticed that a lot of bands are coming back after long breaks such as DSO, Adagio, Communic and Pain of Salvation. All had their last album come out in 2009-2012. Hope we won't have to wait another 6 years for the next one.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
Excellent! Can't wait!

I agree that it's a good idea to show the dates for the releases of the singles.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
Anyone else hear the new song.

These guys are such a tease, first song is a short but sweet. I enjoyed it, got me excited for the rest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Anyone else hear the new song.

These guys are such a tease, first song is a short but sweet. I enjoyed it, got me excited for the rest.

I've listened to the new song a few times now, I'm really liking it, it's short and rocking, I specially love the trumpet solo at the end. I'm really looking forward to the album.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
They've released the second "single", "The Age of Vulture Culture". I really like this song, i liked it more than the first one. I seriously can't wait for the album (it's just one week away).

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »
Is it just me, or is the mix of the new album not that great. It sounds really muddy, not super clear.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
FYI, the vinyl release got pushed back to March 18...  :-\

I couldn't wait that long and went for the CD version...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
I've spun it a few times today, and I definitely like it. It's not quite as good as Pandora's Pinata (which, tbf, is a really tough act to follow), but it holds its own most of the time. Kristin Evegård's singing fits the band like a glove, and she adds a lot to the album. Her voice is super versatile, and she gives each song a lot of character (even when her voice is mainly supporting like in Knucklehugs). I'm a little disappointed in how the album ends, but at the same time I understand that topping JfSM is almost a fool's errand lol. There's a lot of short "intro"/"outro" tracks (4 of them!) that drag down the album a bit, but the regular length songs are all great. Also, shout out to Hedin and Isaksson because all the brass parts are top-notch. And the string quartet too. Also, I kind of wish they left Jigsaw Hustle alone, because the new mix lacks a lot of the punch of the original. It may just be that I'm more accustomed the 2014 version, but the new version left me wanting a bit. Oh well.

My ranking:

01. Karma Bonfire
02. Superhero Jagganath
03. Lady Clandestine Chainbreaker
04. Knucklehugs (Arm Yourself With Love)
05. Interruption
06. The Age of Vulture Culture
07. Jigsaw Hustle
08. Cul-De-Sac Semantics
09. Ode to the Innocent
10. Climbing the Eyewall

11. Vision of the Purblind
12. Pulse of the Incipient
13. Porch of Perception

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 06:23:09 AM »
I finally listened to the álbum. I really liked it, it sounds different from the previous albums. There are indeed several short intros, which i don't like. Kristin's vocals really shine, she is versatile and every song has something special in that regard. The brass section alzó shines. I haven't notice anythijg "wrong" with the mix, so far I'm loving the álbum in general.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2017, 06:34:18 AM »
I finally listened to the álbum. I really liked it, it sounds different from the previous albums. There are indeed several short intros, which i don't like. Kristin's vocals really shine, she is versatile and every song has something special in that regard. The brass section alzó shines. I haven't notice anythijg "wrong" with the mix, so far I'm loving the álbum in general.
Overall I'd agree with this, solid album and it feels like there's a bit more variety of styles which works really well IMO. That's only after one listen, mind, so I'll need to hear it more.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »
Here's a new audio-only interview with Daniel Håkansson (the guitarist, singer, and one of the primary songwriters). It has some cool information in it, and is pretty interesting all throughout.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »
thanks..here's a new interview with That Drummer Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBl1-qOAG8A

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2020, 12:07:07 AM »
Revisiting Pandora's Pinata, such a fun record!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2021, 11:05:57 PM »
This has been a very great week for music releases.

War Painted Valentine

Fascinating, yet also very DSO as well. I like it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2021, 06:45:50 PM »
Why is the mix so bad on their new albums? This one just doesn’t sound right to me. I love it musically, but it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2021, 08:48:40 AM »
Celebremos lo Inevitable official lyric video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfcbeLfYbI

:metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
I saw it and forgot to post about it. Love the music and the Spanish is great.

I like how they used the Mexican Dios De Los Muertos concept of the dead to present their song titled in English, "Celebrate the Inevitable". Which is what Dio De Los Muertos is in nutshell, a celebration to honor those whom passed on from this life.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »
So the album just came out today and I've listened through it about three times which is enough to form an initial impression on it. I was anticipating this album to be a strong competitor for Dream Theater for my album of the year, but I don't think that's the case. This album slots comfortably into second or third place overall (not sure if I like it more or less than Aphelion yet). Swagger and Stroll is with Sing Along Songs as their weakest record in my book. Which isn't to say it's bad, but it doesn't reach the same consistent quality as Pandora's Pinata or Pacifisticuffs does.

Overall, this album definitely leans more into the band's experimental side. The record focuses more on trying new things and incorporating different elements into the band's sound and as with any heavily experimental release, the quality tends to vary a bit. The mix has been a common point of contention in comments I've seen and I would have to echo those complaints. It can sound a bit sharp/tinny at times and a bit muddy at other times, with a special point of complaint being the guitar sound and its more classic hard rock/metal tone. But this is a Diablo Swing Orchestra album, and what it lacks in consistency it sure makes up for in fun. And there's a few classic tunes to join the upper ranks of DSO's library of serious tunes that don't take themselves too seriously.

Sightseeing in the Apocalypse is a unique tune even by the band's standards. It's a short tune with lyrics that seem especially poignant with the pandemic and, on a personal level, with me moving from young adulthood to adulthood and all that entails. I feel like this might be the biggest grower on the album for me, and I love the Queen and Muse vibes throughout the entire song. There's also something the band hasn't dabbled in a lot up to this point, which is a traditional rock/metal guitar solo (!!!). A good opening to the album overall and a great song in its own right. Ranking: 7th | Score: B+

War Painted Valentine was the first single and is an example of the band's heavier and more experimental side. This song is weird. And I mean weird even by DSO standards. But it's weird in a fun way, like most Diablo Swing Orchestra songs are. The lyrics (which I recommend you read, because the vocals are crazy in this song and it makes it hard to understand what is even happening) are a surprisingly deep and political text, commenting on the nature of our "post-truth world" and how social media plays into that. It was a lot of fun at first, but after listening to the full album I'd say it's probably in the bottom half of the album (and probably the band's entire discography). Ranking: 12th | Score: B

Celebremos Lo Inevitable was the second single and what sold me on this album. This song is FANTASTIC. It is probably one of the best songs the band has ever put out. It's dynamically varied, with lots of energy in the choruses and instrumental interludes and a more relaxed Bossa Nova feel in the verses. Kristin's vocals are a special highlight of this song, and her powerful delivery breathes a lot of life into it (not to mention her Spanish pronunciation is very good). The lyrics are great in the original Spanish and still hold up well with translation, speaking about the Dia De Los Muertos while encapsulating the deeper meaning of the holiday. The lyrics focus on the themes of a holiday in a more general sense, allowing them to be applicable to anyone dealing with loss at any time of the year. Because of this, the song avoids the "Christmas tune" effect. Ranking: 1st | Score: A+

Speed Dating an Arsonist was the third single and is a quick genre shift to total electroswing. It's good electroswing, mind you, but after a couple of listens doesn't hold up as well as the other songs on the album. The cool synth effects and the clean jazz guitar solos are highlights, but there's just not much to keep you coming back for more. In fact, the song kind of overstays its welcome in the outro. It's good, but there's better out there. Ranking: 11th | Score: B

Jig of the Century is the song I have the least experience with as it was accidentally left out when the band uploaded the entire album to YouTube last night. I have the least thoughts on it so far, but I enjoy the folksy celtic vibe on it. It did sound a little derivative of the band's past work in the more metal section, straight up copying the "Teddy Bear Picnic riff" from Bedlam Sticks, which knocked it down a few points in my book. Still have to sit on this one, but it's fine. Ranking: 9th | Score: B

The Sound of an Unconditional Surrender is easily my least favorite song on the record and probably my least favorite DSO song in general. This song is kind of unusual by DSO standards: it's boring. That's a phrase I never expected to use to refer to a DSO song, but here we are. It just kind of plods along at a slow tempo while never really doing anything that interesting before unceremoniously fading out at the end of the song. It's meh. The Kate Bush-esque vocals and some of the arrangements are nice, but not enough to make me actually like it. Ranking: 13th | Score: C-

Malign Monologues is a breath of fresh air after the previous song's rendition of a "Swedish mire in the morning" (band's words, not mine, but an accurate description). This song is the typical "swing metal" sounding that gets put on every album. That's not a bad thing, because those songs tend to be super catchy and a lot of fun, and this song is no exception. The only complaint I have is...what even are these lyrics? The only reactions I have to the lyrics I can make out are "what" and "what" and "Wat". The lyrics drag it down a lot, but it's still fun overall. Nice song. Ranking: 6th | Score: A-

Out Came the Hummingbirds slaps and it slaps hard. This song is probably the most stank face inducing song in the band's entire discography. I love the heavily electrometal/metalstep intro and first verse and the 80s synth pop sounding choruses just work. Like they work way better than you could ever imagine. There's also lots of influences from Billie Eilish and Lorde on here which is not a sound I would have expected but I am SO glad it's here. Easily another contender for one of the best songs on the album and a Top 10 song for their discography. Ranking: 2nd | Score: A+

Snake Oil Baptism is probably another stand out on the album (this three song stretch is probably my favorite on the album) and just a lot of catchy fun. It has this great 60s/70s hard rock/Deep Purple vibe mixed with big band and soul. I don't typically go for Deep Purple-sounding stuff, but they did it in a way that makes me actually like it. Also one of the best song titles in the band's discography (which is saying a lot). I dig it. Ranking: 3rd | Score: A

Les invulnérables is, contrary to what the title and Celebremos may make you think, not in French. It's a nice ballad with a strong orchestral presence, some nice vocals, and enough intrigue to stay interesting across 6 minutes. A good song overall, but not too exciting. Ranking: 8th | Score: B+

Saluting the Reckoning
is the song I have the most mixed feelings about on the record. Like there's a lot of good here, but this song is almost too kooky for my tastes. It sounds like DSO making Rock Lobster, except it's 2021 and the lobster (or Mr. Orange) in question is a thinly veiled metaphor for a certain American president. Will need to sit on this one some more, but for now it's okay, I guess? Ranking: 10th | Score: B

The Prima Donna Gauntlet is the most straightforward metal song on the record (as straightforward as a band like DSO can be anyways). It's very solid and good song overall, but without any real stand out moments. The band also dabbles in a first at the end with some full on harsh vocals during the outro. Song title is also super cool. Feel like it could be heavier for what it is, but cool song overall. Ranking: 4th | Score: A

Overture to a Ceasefire is the album closer and probably the least unconventional and surprising song on the record. It's a good symphonic metal song with some slight tango influences and that's all there is to say about it. Doesn't quite offer the same "conclusive" feeling that Climbing the Eyewall or Justice for Saint Mary have, so it kind of leaves you wanting a bit more. It's hampered a bit by it's placement in context of the album, but it would probably be a good song to listen to in isolation or while randomly shuffling my spotify library. Ranking: 5th | Score: A

Song Ranking:
1. Celebremos Lo Inevitable A+
2. Out Came the Hummingbirds A+
3. Snake Oil Baptism A
4. The Prima Donna Gauntlet A
5. Overture to a Ceasefire A
6. Malign Monologues A-
7. Sightseeing in the Apocalypse B+
8. Les invulnérables B+
9. Jig of the Century B
10. Saluting the Reckoning B
11. Speed Dating an Arsonist B
12. War Painted Valentine B
13. The Sound of an Unconditional Surrender C-

Overall a good album, with some hit or miss moments and a bit of a flawed production. Some songs stand out among the band's body of work, but the album as a whole is probably one of their weakest. Overall score: a weak 9/10

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
Nice review.

My ranking would almost be similar.

I found the use of different styles fitting for what the title of the album is. The entire album just makes me think of Alice in Wonderland and the many different scenarios she encounters in her journey down the rabbit hole.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2021, 09:38:06 PM »
it's a pretty long record, yet it still has decent flow some great moments.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2021, 02:59:51 AM »
I had one listen (I'm more of a casual fan of the band) and I thought standouts were the intro track, the third track (Spanish one I think), the Deep Purple-vibe one and the one about ocean/breathing water.

I had very little expectations for this as I checked War Painted Valentine and Speed Dating an Arsonist before the release and thought both songs sucked. I still do, but there is enough good material on this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.