Author Topic: [Music] Beardfish - Mammoth  (Read 5540 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Beardfish - Mammoth
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
Band: Beardfish
Album: Mammoth
Year: 2011
Genre: Progressive Rock
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Beardfish/dp/B004NO03CE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299358743&sr=8-1

It could be surmised that being forced off of Dream Theater’s Progressive Nation tour in 2009 due to the financial difficulties of InsideOut was the worst thing that has ever happened to Beardfish. But really, was it all that bad? By simple being an act originally scheduled to play the tour the band saw more free promotion than many others will ever hope to get. At that time the band would have been supporting Destined Solitaire, but now, less than two years later after some light touring in Europe the band is set to release Mammoth, their sixth album.

The album begins with “The Platform”, an eight minute track that seems to have enough hooks for twenty minutes. The song seems to incorporate all the things Beardfish have done right over their career and I don’t think anyone who pops in this CD and hears this track will be anything other than excited for the rest of the album. The next track, “And the Stone Said” is the only true epic on the album and delivers everything you might expect from an epic, and from Beardfish. Four and a half minutes go by without vocals as the band delivers an interesting start the song which eventually takes shape as a somewhat more reserved tune featuring some amazing synth tones, big surprise there, I know.

Although not as musically stunning as some of the other tracks, “Tightrope” manages to be one of my favorites due to some beautiful and haunting parts, and the easily relatable lyrics about one-sided love that 99% of us have experienced at some points. Simple and to the point, the song truly shows the band at their most refined. Although the rest of the tracks have their strength I think “Akakabotu” deserves special mention. The five minute instrumental starts out with a simple base and throws in amazing leads left and right making it a melodic powerhouse.

Although Rikard Sjöblom and David Zackrisson put up great performances I think it’s bassist Robert Hansen that really shines on this album. His playing seems to generate more great musical moments than ever before and he is rather prominent in the mix, keeping his fantastic playing from being drowned out by the wonderful flourishes of his band mates. While I found Destined Solitaire to be a good album I felt the band was not hitting on all cylinders with the sound changes made after the Sleeping in Traffic albums. With Mammoth the band takes a big leap in refining that sound and ended up with a fantastic record. At this point most of the complete wackiness that was present in the band’s first few records is gone, but fantastic songwriting has remained as well as all new grooves and the always fantastic keyboard tones and playing of Rikard. The album is fresh and new, yet it is definitively Beardfish, just as it is certainly amazing.

Nick's Rating: 9.5/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
Re: [Music] Beardfish - Mammoth
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:39:26 AM »
I love beardfish and you have just made me really bloody excited ahead of the uk release towards the end of the month.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
FYI, you can check out the first track on ProgArchives.

https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76359&FID=19
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:11 AM »
I'm really jealous you got to hear the album already. This got me pretty excited for it though!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:23:08 AM »
Ditto the above! One of my favourite bands atm; wish there was more like them going around! Can't wait to hear it. (I'll probably have to buy it online, Australia is quite a backwards country in terms of music retailing lol)
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »
I've given the album a few spins so far, its brilliant! The lyrics and themes of the album are so profound and interesting, while the melodies and hooks are definitively Beardfish. Yes, some of the wackiness is gone, buts its replaced by pure musician-ship (if thats a word). Definately a contendor for album of the year for mine.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
I saw them live (as support for PoS) and I liked them. Totally forgot to check out any of there stuff though so I will definitely give this album a shot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
This is a really great album.  Great hooks, fresh styles and arrangements, excellent soloing and just great melodies.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
Listened to it, was blown away.
Particularly love the zappa-ish bits, especially akakabotu
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline patthemetaller

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
Really top notch album from a band, who in my opinion, produce consistently excellent music

:metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
This album is really good. Thanks for bringing my attention to it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.