Author Topic: About to start drumming  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Failtality

About to start drumming
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:42:30 AM »
I just ordered a kit online the other day, and was wondering if anybody could give me some small tips to start off learning how to drum. All I've done in the past is mess around on my friend's brother's kit from time to time over the last like five years, but have always wanted one for myself.

Also, if anybody could recommend a cheap (but decent) brand of sticks for me to start out with it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: About to start drumming
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
Just play on random objects.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Failtality

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
Just play on random objects.
Thanks...?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
I find it much easier to play with smaller sticks such as 7A Vic Firth. Also, get some grip tape for your sticks (you don't have a technique yet so you can't avoid callouses). Work on hi-hat, snare, and bass pedal patterns first to get a feel for everything then expand to the rest of the kit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »
I usually use Vic Firth 7a's as well.  But I also keep a set of 5's around for when I want to bash a little harder.  (Unfortunately, my kids used my 5's to completely ruin my splash cymbal recently by just wailing on it.  It didn't help that I had it upside down, stacked on my china.)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »
I've been using 7A's since I started drumming 13 years ago. I know the 5A's or whatever are the more popular kind, but the thicker sticks just aren't comfortable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Failtality

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll try to keep them in mind!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
For sticks, I would go to your local music store and just try out different sticks. Find one that the most comfortable for you.
I personally use the Pro Mark Mike Portnoy TX420N sticks for all my rock and metal projects. They just have a good feel to them. I like nylon sticks because of the cymbal sound. I also used Zildjian's artist series sticks for a while. During lighter projects, I use Pro Mark Shira Kashi Oak Jazz Sticks. Nice touch to them.
If you are starting out, though, finding the best equipment is not very important. Not sure if you are in high school or anything, but I would recommend taking music classes and learn the rudiments.
I happen to just have a knack for drumming even before I took lessons, and my dad bought me a kit the summer before I started high school, so for those months, I just played along to albums I really liked which helped me develop some dexterity. I only took one year of classes to learn the basics; I was moving too quickly for the class.

I am now a session drummer.

So just some quick points:
- don't worry about top-notch equipment
- take lessons to learn the basics. They'll help you later on
- know how to read music
- play, play play! Practice to your favourite albums. Get some musician friends together and learn and write some songs. Join school bands. Join town/city bands.
- have fun. Don't forget that's why you wanted to do this. Don't get bored with the instrument. There is always another part of drumming to explore.

I'm always happy to help out another drummer. Feel free to ask me any questions. :)
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.