Author Topic: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure  (Read 25895 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2022, 01:51:46 PM »
I'd go to that tour but it's not coming close enough to me and the closest shows don't have Whitesnake as support.  Just saw Scorpions so no need to travel for it.  I'm going to guess Whitesnake will come around again before calling it quits.  I know Coverdale isn't really performing at a high level these days but I still enjoyed the Whitesnake shows I saw over the last few years.  That will be a fun show for those who see it.

I know the Connecticut date doesn't have Whitesnake; does the New York date? 

It does, although it's technically closer than AC it would take a bit longer to get there with typical long island traffic.  Funny enough, the guys who sat next to me on Friday were talking about that arena and how it's new and very good place to see a show.  It's just not going to be that show if I do go. I'd rather see Iron Maiden for a 2nd show of that tour instead if I were to make that journey. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2023, 04:12:19 PM »
I interviewed Mikkey Dee!! We spoke about the new Motorhead reissue (Bad Magic), the touring plans of Scorpions, King Diamond and much more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ILsG4zq3o&t=85s

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2023, 04:17:21 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2023, 09:34:40 AM »
If we are discussing putrid Scorpions albums, then Eye II Eye must get a mention. That album is a complete abomination. :lol   I recall Michael Schenker mocking it as Scorpions dance music, and he wasn’t far off base with that comment.

Yeah, that album was awful.  I remember buying it and Nuclear Cowboy from John Sykes at the same time.  That was the first time I ever bought albums and promptly took them back to the store to demand a refund. 

I'm somewhat selective when it comes to Scorpions.  When they hit for me, they hit pretty hard.  But they have a lot of material, and I am just not interested in a lot of it. 

For me, the run of Blackout through Savage Amusement was magic. 

I don't own anything prior to Blackout and don't really have any desire to.  There are a number of good songs scattered throughout those early albums, but I don't have a desire to own the albums themselves.

After Savage Amusement, it's hit and miss.  Crazy world was okay, but seemed like a generic, "let's just follow the Scorpions radio hit formula" album from start to finish.  Face the Heat was GREAT.  Pure Instinct wasn't bad.  I don't remember anything on it being a real standout, but it sounded like Scorpions and had some pretty consistent mid-tier Scorps tunes.  After that, the only ones I bought were Eye II Eye and Humanity.  Hated the former; LOVED the latter and put it up there with their best material. 

Haven't heard the other albums and never really had much desire to.  Honestly, I'm perfectly content with my Scorpions collection consisting solely of Blackout, Love at First Sting, Savage Amusement, Face the Heat, and Humanity, with the addition of a 2-disk hits album, World Wide Live, and Live Bites.  I feel like that collection is giving me just about everything I want to listen to from them when I want a good Scorpions fix. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2023, 09:58:21 AM »
If we are discussing putrid Scorpions albums, then Eye II Eye must get a mention. That album is a complete abomination. :lol   I recall Michael Schenker mocking it as Scorpions dance music, and he wasn’t far off base with that comment.

Yeah, that album was awful.  I remember buying it and Nuclear Cowboy from John Sykes at the same time.  That was the first time I ever bought albums and promptly took them back to the store to demand a refund. 

I'm somewhat selective when it comes to Scorpions.  When they hit for me, they hit pretty hard.  But they have a lot of material, and I am just not interested in a lot of it. 

For me, the run of Blackout through Savage Amusement was magic. 

I don't own anything prior to Blackout and don't really have any desire to.  There are a number of good songs scattered throughout those early albums, but I don't have a desire to own the albums themselves.

After Savage Amusement, it's hit and miss.  Crazy world was okay, but seemed like a generic, "let's just follow the Scorpions radio hit formula" album from start to finish.  Face the Heat was GREAT.  Pure Instinct wasn't bad.  I don't remember anything on it being a real standout, but it sounded like Scorpions and had some pretty consistent mid-tier Scorps tunes.  After that, the only ones I bought were Eye II Eye and Humanity.  Hated the former; LOVED the latter and put it up there with their best material. 

Haven't heard the other albums and never really had much desire to.  Honestly, I'm perfectly content with my Scorpions collection consisting solely of Blackout, Love at First Sting, Savage Amusement, Face the Heat, and Humanity, with the addition of a 2-disk hits album, World Wide Live, and Live Bites.  I feel like that collection is giving me just about everything I want to listen to from them when I want a good Scorpions fix.

I'm a lot more into the early years - I LOVE Tokyo Tapes, and Taken By Force is a great album - and my "magic period" is "Lovedrive" through "Savage Amusement" (maybe just through "Love At First Sting") but conceptually, I'm in agreement with this.  They very much are a band of eras or sections.   I have Humanity Hour (it IS good) but I think they fell into a sort of trap after SA of having the "epic hit" (Winds Of Change) and have been sort of chasing that ever since.  Scorpions for me aren't a world-changing band with deep social and cultural issues being addressed in their music, and sometimes I think that's how they see themselves.  They are to me just good old fashioned high energy hard rock.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:18 AM »
Scorpions for me aren't a world-changing band with deep social and cultural issues being addressed in their music, and sometimes I think that's how they see themselves.  They are to me just good old fashioned high energy hard rock.

That's a really interesting take.  I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, but I think that's probably pretty accurate.  But then again, as one of the drivers on that show in Russia and the coming down of the Wall, having Winds of Change, being active participants in Stairway To Heaven/Highway To Hell, I think there's maybe something to how they see themselves as doing important cultural things, at least more than we might be willing to give knee-jerk credit for if we don't stop for a moment to think about it. 

Back to Eye II Eye, I just remembered the band photo that was either on the back cover or inside the booklet (I forget which).  The expression on Rudy's face says it all--it is along the lines of, "I...I find it hard to believe we are putting this out under the Scorpions banner, but...hey, it's the '90s, and the entire music scene is a circus right how, so..."  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2023, 11:49:20 AM »
Scorpions for me aren't a world-changing band with deep social and cultural issues being addressed in their music, and sometimes I think that's how they see themselves.  They are to me just good old fashioned high energy hard rock.

That's a really interesting take.  I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, but I think that's probably pretty accurate.  But then again, as one of the drivers on that show in Russia and the coming down of the Wall, having Winds of Change, being active participants in Stairway To Heaven/Highway To Hell, I think there's maybe something to how they see themselves as doing important cultural things, at least more than we might be willing to give knee-jerk credit for if we don't stop for a moment to think about it. 

I probably could have worded that better, but I wasn't passing judgment on them for thinking that.  They were in many ways at ground zero, having grown up in a country divided.  I'm just saying FOR ME, having grown up with the sort of tortured English of some of their mid-period songs, some of the shall we say, "misunderstandings" of their early album covers, and some of the criticisms from both Uli Roth and Michael Schenker (the latter of which you should admittedly take with a grain of salt) I opted to not spend too much time on that stuff.  Later when they wanted me to, it was hard to make the transition.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2023, 02:02:58 PM »
Bosk, I will admit that pre-Lovedrive has a very 70s feel to it and people will either love it or hate it. But if you love the Blackout era stuff, then Lovedrive is a MUST.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2023, 03:12:23 PM »
Bosk, I will admit that pre-Lovedrive has a very 70s feel to it and people will either love it or hate it. But if you love the Blackout era stuff, then Lovedrive is a MUST.

Yeah, that's actually a part of it.  Something about '70s rock often just doesn't do it for me.  It's like a lot of bands from that era were kind of finding their way to the stuff I liked about a lot of similar stuff in the '80s, but hadn't gotten there yet.  So there are quite a few bands from that era that are in the same vein as later bands I like, but those earlier ones just don't do it for me.  Or bands that lasted through both decades where I don't really care for a lot of their earlier material.  Not a big deal.  I don't hate it.  It just doesn't grab me like the stuff I really like. 

As to Lovedrive specifically, I've heard it.  The hits or more well-known songs are on albums like World Wide Live and the hits album that I have, and the deep cuts don't really move the needle for me in terms of making me buy the album proper.  In other words, I feel like I already have what I like from it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2023, 03:21:56 PM »

As to Lovedrive specifically, I've heard it.  The hits or more well-known songs are on albums like World Wide Live and the hits album that I have, and the deep cuts don't really move the needle for me in terms of making me buy the album proper.  In other words, I feel like I already have what I like from it.

Yup, 5 of the 8 tracks made the Worldwide Live album, with only Is There Anybody There, Always Somewhere, and the title track not making it.

I actually consider Lovedrive's title track, the best song on the album.

I always thought them going from Holiday right into Still Loving You was magnificent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2023, 03:39:43 PM »
I didn't realize it was 5 of 8.  So, in addition to that, I have the title track on the hits compilation and Anybody There on Live Bites.  So I guess I actually have every song but one (Always Somewhere).  :lol

EDIT:  BTW, Deadly Sting is the compilation album I have. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2023, 03:47:43 PM »
I didn't realize it was 5 of 8.  So, in addition to that, I have the title track on the hits compilation and Anybody There on Live Bites.  So I guess I actually have every song but one (Always Somewhere).  :lol

EDIT:  BTW, Deadly Sting is the compilation album I have.

Nice!

And even though Lovedrive is technically a 70's album (1979), it is the first album for the Scorps with a new style that they would further develop into the 80's. It's not the Uli Roth spacey style. It's the first album with Matthias Jabs, with Michael Schenker playing on half the album as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2024, 04:31:19 PM »
Amazing footage from 1978....In Trance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsLq8HDkqNU

Offline jammindude

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2024, 12:12:59 PM »
I posted in the celebrity death thread as well, but worth mentioning here.

RIP James Kottack.  :'(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2024, 12:26:04 PM »
Wow, they are apparently doing a Vegas residency where they are playing all of Love at First Sting.  Not sure whether I'll pull the trigger, but that warrants some serious consideration. 

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2024, 12:44:31 PM »
I posted in the celebrity death thread as well, but worth mentioning here.

RIP James Kottack.  :'(

Sad news there but not a complete surprise unfortunately. He was still drumming for The Scorpions when I saw them and it was a great show. I know he had been struggling with his personal issues for the past few years but I was hoping he'd pull through.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2024, 07:51:04 AM »
Wow, they are apparently doing a Vegas residency where they are playing all of Love at First Sting.  Not sure whether I'll pull the trigger, but that warrants some serious consideration.

I'd go see that.  Klaus singing "Still Loving You" in an arena is still an indelible memory for me.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2024, 08:22:16 AM »

I'd go see that.  Klaus singing "Still Loving You" in an arena is still an indelible memory for me.

Sure...40 years ago, maybe.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2024, 04:47:36 PM »

Has he gone downhill? I saw him only about 6 years or so ago and he was still nailing it. I was impressed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2024, 04:14:04 PM »

Has he gone downhill? I saw him only about 6 years or so ago and he was still nailing it. I was impressed.

Nah, I'm just being a dick. ;D

Have they ever played Crossfire before? Underrated track.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2024, 04:27:31 PM »
I'm not shocked with Tim being a dick.

No other comment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2024, 04:33:40 PM »
 :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2024, 04:35:50 PM »
I love Crossfire!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2024, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2024, 05:10:13 PM »

I had assumed you were being serious.  I haven't followed them closely for a long time, but clips I have seen every now and then for the last few years, he has sounded pretty rough.  And that's not a knock on him.  Their stuff is REALLY hard, and he's around 75 or so.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2024, 05:17:12 PM »

I had assumed you were being serious. I haven't followed them closely for a long time, but clips I have seen every now and then for the last few years, he has sounded pretty rough.  And that's not a knock on him.  Their stuff is REALLY hard, and he's around 75 or so.

Well, it's a little of both, actually.

I'm just an eye roller when I hear a band is going to play 40 year old albums in their entirety. But that's on me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2024, 05:37:52 PM »
I get that.  But for me, it depends.  If that's pretty much all they do, and they aren't putting out new music, I don't really care to see the full-on nostalgia act.  But as far as I know, they haven't been doing that where they play all of Blackout one tour, then Love At First Sting on the next, etc.  But an older act doing a truly rare string of shows for nostalgia to celebrate one of their clear favorite albums?  I'm all for that. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2024, 10:04:49 AM »
I thought Klaus was very solid in NYC in 2022. He's so old though so he's not going to be at his best.  Still very worth seeing IMO. PLus, back to the age thing, who knows when the last time is.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2024, 10:58:05 AM »
Klaus has a very good understanding of what his voice can and can't do at his age. He doesn't over exert himself and they throw in a couple instrumentals and a drum solo to give him some breaks during the show.
Do you read Sutter Cane?