Author Topic: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure  (Read 25869 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »
I think their song "Arizona" has some of the best guitar playing in the 80's hard rock.
Jabs is killing it from start to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfFvM0AFG0

This song deserves much more recognition from their catalog.

Solid. 

Lovedrive is on my checkout list.  Never got into these guys but as some of the old comments say, I too own Humanity Hour and that's a cracker.

Check this out. Sails of Charon from the Taken By Force album. :metal

https://youtu.be/Zs5NOrYYV2s

That's actually a GREAT album (it's got We'll Burn The Sky on it as well).  The intro to Sails is killer.

I loved this comment to the video:
"If I made love to my wife like Uli does to that guitar, she probably wouldn't have left me."

Trivia:  We'll Burn The Sky was co-written by Monika Danneman, Jimi Hendrix' last girlfriend.  Uli Roth, who is very much influenced by Jimi Hendrix, later dated her too.    There's something creepy about that.  :)

Yes, Burn the Sky is epic too. All of the Uli-era albums are great, IMO.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2020, 04:34:55 PM »
Taken By Force is my favorite Scorpions album with We'll Burn The Sky being one of if not my favorite song from them. Shame they don't do it live all that often.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2020, 07:30:58 PM »
We'll Burn The Sky is EASILY my favorite Scorps tune! Easily.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »
I had posted this in The UFO Listening Party Thread.

Here's a version of We'll Burn The Sky with Michael Schenker from 1979. The quality is not great...but the performance is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcecDuE4_XI&list=RDOcecDuE4_XI&start_radio=1&t=526
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
Song from the new album. I'm genuinely amazed how good Klaus sounds.

https://bravewords.com/news/scorpions-streaming-new-single-peacemaker
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2021, 08:54:53 PM »
The track is really decent.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2021, 10:55:26 AM »
This song is reminiscent of the material on the Unbreakable album, which is one of the stronger Scorps albums of the last couple of decades, IMO.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2022, 01:30:58 PM »
Has anyone been listening to Rock Believer? For me this is the best Scorpions album in over 30 years. A throwback to their Blackout / Love at First Sting sound.

Roots in Your Boots has a bit of a Blackout/Dynamite type riff; in Knock Em Dead I hear Big City Nights; the title track has a bit of a No-one Like You feel; Seventh Sun has a nice China White-type riff. My current favourite is Shining in Your Soul.

The deluxe edition has a bonus CD with 5 songs, though everything could easily have fit onto to one 65 minute long disc. Bit of a cash grab, but there are some good rockers on the bonus disc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
Has anyone been listening to Rock Believer? For me this is the best Scorpions album in over 30 years. A throwback to their Blackout / Love at First Sting sound.

Roots in Your Boots has a bit of a Blackout/Dynamite type riff; in Knock Em Dead I hear Big City Nights; the title track has a bit of a No-one Like You feel; Seventh Sun has a nice China White-type riff. My current favourite is Shining in Your Soul.

The deluxe edition has a bonus CD with 5 songs, though everything could easily have fit onto to one 65 minute long disc. Bit of a cash grab, but there are some good rockers on the bonus disc.

Zoom, only because of you and the post will I give it a listen. I heard the single that was released once and thought it was awful.

As far as the 30 year thing, apparently you've never heard Humanity: Hour 1..

Offline emtee

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »
I've heard the first half so far. Excellent sonic values, great riffs and vocally, far better than expected for someone his age. Looking forward to second half soon.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2022, 05:39:49 PM »
I've heard the first half so far. Excellent sonic values, great riffs and vocally, far better than expected for someone his age. Looking forward to second half soon.

Yeah I enjoyed it. Scorpions are a top 10 band for me so I’ll always check out their releases.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2022, 06:59:23 PM »
Gas In The Tank :lol

"There's lots of gas in my Trans Am
It's wham bam thank you ma'am"

Sorry. Pulling the plug right here. If someone can recommend me an actual decent song, I'll check it out..maybe.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2022, 07:51:02 PM »
TAC, Humanity Hour 1 is great, but Rock Believer is more old school Scorpions.

Yeah, some the lyrics are pretty sketchy, but Scorpions have never been known for their lyrical prowess.  :lol

The songs I recommend checking out are Shining of Your Soul, Seventh Sun and Rock Believer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2022, 08:02:37 PM »

The songs I recommend checking out are Shining of Your Soul, Seventh Sun and Rock Believer.

Gotta say that Shining Of Your Soul and Seventh Sun are pretty specular.  :)

Can't say I love Rock Believer though. Ok, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. But I'm skipping the first song! :lol

I have always loved Matthias Jabs.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:01 PM »

Gotta say that Shining Of Your Soul and Seventh Sun are pretty specular.  :)

Can't say I love Rock Believer though. Ok, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. But I'm skipping the first song! :lol

I have always loved Matthias Jabs.

Specular? Excellent  :lol

I agree that Gas in the Tank is skippable. Not one of the stronger tracks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2022, 08:12:52 PM »
That's "spectacular" in Kingshmeglish.  :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »
That's "spectacular" in Kingshmeglish.  :lol

That was my best guess  :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2022, 08:56:14 PM »

Enjoy :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »
I still have to listen more carefully the Scorpions's discography after Love at First Sting, but the 2 albums that I really like after that is Sting in the Tail and the new one (that it seems a little superior than SiTT). It's always hard to compare to the classics, but the style of those 2 albums is pretty in line with the 80-85's Scorpions. Humanity Hour 1 I found interesting and trying to incorporate a more modern influence (in a good way), but I have to admit that I never heard it properly.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2022, 12:57:23 PM »
I thought Sting In The Tail was putrid.

I found that Savage Amusement has aged fairly well, as has Crazy World. After those, only Humanity Hour 1 has interested me.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2022, 06:54:05 PM »
Putrid :lol, because of the lyrics? I must admit that I paid zero attention on them, if it's the case. I will give another try on Savage Amusement and Crazy World, but, at the time I tried to listen, both seemed to me too commercial and forced, being Savage kind of their Turbo. But it was just a first impression.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2022, 06:56:09 PM »
Putrid :lol, because of the lyrics? I must admit that I paid zero attention on them, if it's the case. I will give another try on Savage Amusement and Crazy World, but, at the time I tried to listen, both seemed to me too commercial and forced, being Savage kind of their Turbo. But it was just a first impression.

I felt the same way about Savage Amusement when it came out. I saw the tour, but was very lukewarm on the album. In 1988, I was in a much heavier mood for my music. But to me, it has aged well. That's all I'm saying.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2022, 07:17:07 PM »
I thought Sting In The Tail was putrid.

I found that Savage Amusement has aged fairly well, as has Crazy World. After those, only Humanity Hour 1 has interested me.

That's mainly me, but I suppose I should give SA another spin.  It always paled next to that which came immediately before.  But I'm partial to the Herman/Dieter Dirks era, so maybe I owe it another try.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2022, 09:42:33 PM »
If we are discussing putrid Scorpions albums, then Eye II Eye must get a mention. That album is a complete abomination. :lol   I recall Michael Schenker mocking it as Scorpions dance music, and he wasn’t far off base with that comment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2022, 04:13:31 PM »

Knew about the album but honestly didn't really care to check it out. I finally got it and listening now on the train on my way into NYC to see them. So far it's pretty good considering how late into the career they are. I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to seeing some of these songs tonight. This concert should be interesting, it's called The Golden Jubilee to celebrate 50 years of Bangladesh independence, the Garden is basicly sold out. The opening band is from Bangladesh. I have no idea what to expect from this event, but this could be something unique.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2022, 07:42:26 PM »

Knew about the album but honestly didn't really care to check it out. I finally got it and listening now on the train on my way into NYC to see them. So far it's pretty good considering how late into the career they are. I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to seeing some of these songs tonight. This concert should be interesting, it's called The Golden Jubilee to celebrate 50 years of Bangladesh independence, the Garden is basicly sold out. The opening band is from Bangladesh. I have no idea what to expect from this event, but this could be something unique.

Ooh, enjoy the show. That sounds like an interesting event.  :tup  I’m hoping the tour swings by my area at some point.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2022, 09:31:08 AM »
I love how they changed the lyrics in Wind of Change to show support for Ukraine.  Sometimes you forget how important a song can be to current world affairs.

Scorpions - Wind of Change LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 5/6/2022

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »
I love how they changed the lyrics in Wind of Change to show support for Ukraine.  Sometimes you forget how important a song can be to current world affairs.

Scorpions - Wind of Change LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 5/6/2022

That was a time of great optimism, but now things are moving backwards.

It’s great that they changed the lyrics. How was the show?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2022, 03:04:48 PM »
Concert was fun, thought the band sounded pretty good specifically Klaus.  The whole show was a bit odd though.  I thought it was sold out becasue there were only a handful of single seats available before the show, but turns out, they didn't sell the top bowl of the arena (200 level) even though I bought a 300 level seat  :lol so when I scanned my ticket to get in, they told me to go right to the will call for a new ticket.  Ended up with a great seat in the 100, aisle and mid venue.  Basically got $60 value of a ticket upgrade.  Also sat next to a couple guys who were a lot of fun to chill with for the duration of the show, we even took a pic together. 

So this concert was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Bangladesh independence so a significant amount of Bangladesh people were there.  Not your typical rock crowd.  It started with their national anthem, very different.  Then a band called Chirkutt from Bangladesh played.  Musically, not terrible, but I thought their set sucked.  The singer talked for half of it while complaining they only got 20 minutes.  The definitely were on stage for closer to 30 minutes though and I could see a stage manager about to pull the plug on them  :lol also I believe this is the reason why Scorpions cut No One Like You from the encore.  So mad about that.  Otherwise, show was really good.  I liked the new songs live too.  Here's Seventh Sun

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
I wouldn’t have been impressed either with some annoying opening act causing the Scorps to cut a song from their encore. :-[

Glad to see they are playing Seventh Sun. That’s one of my favourites from the new album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »
Seems the Scorps are going to be hitting the road in the US with Whitesnake.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2022, 07:18:53 AM »

I was just thinking of bands I haven't had the pleasure of seeing and David Coverdale is on that list.  I'd go see Scorpions and Whitesnake.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »

I didn't realize they had toured the states together back in 2003! I am going to try and catch them at a date here. I saw Scorpions with Queensryche a few years ago and it was a great show. I don't think Coverdale is any good but he's got a top-notch band behind him and this may be our last chance to see them with their "retirement tour".  :angel:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2022, 08:51:43 AM »
I'd go to that tour but it's not coming close enough to me and the closest shows don't have Whitesnake as support.  Just saw Scorpions so no need to travel for it.  I'm going to guess Whitesnake will come around again before calling it quits.  I know Coverdale isn't really performing at a high level these days but I still enjoyed the Whitesnake shows I saw over the last few years.  That will be a fun show for those who see it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2022, 10:28:36 AM »
I'd go to that tour but it's not coming close enough to me and the closest shows don't have Whitesnake as support.  Just saw Scorpions so no need to travel for it.  I'm going to guess Whitesnake will come around again before calling it quits.  I know Coverdale isn't really performing at a high level these days but I still enjoyed the Whitesnake shows I saw over the last few years.  That will be a fun show for those who see it.

I know the Connecticut date doesn't have Whitesnake; does the New York date? 

I just want to see Coverdale. I know he's an odd duck, and I know his voice isn't what it was, but man, I've been listening to those mid-90's releases, especially the "Unzipped" box set and MAN, in his prime could that man SING.  His voice was like velvet.