Author Topic: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure  (Read 26118 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
I haven't checked Return to Forever, but HH1 is fantastic. Just a great rock album. Always an enjoyable listen.

See, I thought Sting in the Tail wasn't that bad, but it had a few songs that I always tend to skip (the heavier ones), so not that good either. But I really like Raised on Rock, The Good Die Young, Lorelei, Sly and especially The Best is Yet to Come. That last one might be one of my favourite Scorpions songs along with their older hits.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »
Have a go at it on Spotify.  It's worth at least 1 listen.  I spun it a few times in advance of seeing them last September, and a few times since.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »
Have a go at it on Spotify.

Great idea, just need to move out of this awful country I live in first. :lol

(I know you probably directed it at Tim, but hey, I couldn't resist.)

I mean, I know I can use Tor browser or something, but I'm not sure it's worth my effort. Maybe I'll sample it on YouTube.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
Have a go at it on Spotify.

Great idea, just need to move out of this awful country I live in first. :lol

If ever there was time for this line, it's now.  Meanwhile, in Russia...

(I know you probably directed it at Tim, but hey, I couldn't resist.)

Yes, you'd ninja'd me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2016, 02:50:52 AM »
Savage Amusement is another solid album start to finish!  World Wide Live is one of my fav live albums ever..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2016, 02:06:16 AM »
:bump:

I went to see Uli Jon Roth on the Tokyo Tapes Revisited tour last week, here's the report. As an additional curiosity, one of the opening acts was Mr. Fastfinger aka Mika Tyyskä, who has done the Octavarium, TDEN and Enigma Machine animations for Dream Theater.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2016, 09:21:20 AM »
Was just thinking about this band over the last couple of days.  As I think back, they were an integral part of my discovery and love of metal.  I remember when I was young (as in, middle school age), and there were those "rocker" kids with their long hair, that would hang out at the park and smoke while blasting their rock music.  Those were the kids I was simultaneously scared of and enthralled by.  And they listened to stuff like Scorpions.  And that made that sort of music simultaneously taboo and intriguing.  Blackout was one of those songs I remember from that period.

It wasn't until Love At First Sting, and the video for Rock You Like A Hurricane blowing up on MTV that I became a fan.  It hit at the right time, because it was shortly before that that I really began exploring music on my own, and discovering that I really liked that '80s, guitar-driven rock sound of bands like Def Leppard, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Ozzy, etc.  The Blackout - LAFS era was just perfect for me.  Good songwriting chops.  Amazing vocals.  Some of the nastiest riffs and blistering solos imaginable.  This is a band that really could do not wrong at this point in their careers.  A lot of the later stuff lost me, both because it probably wasn't of the same quality, and because Scorps are best when they do what they do, and when they do what they do, they are formulaic, so there isn't really a lot of "new" brought to the table to hold one's interest.  But they have had a really interesting career, and I have really enjoyed a lot of their music.

Interestingly, they aren't a band where I have ever felt the urge to be a completest and get everything they have done.  Some of their stuff, I just don't care for.  But I am fairly happy with what I have.  To me, a good Scorps collection consists of:  Blackout, LAFS, World Wide Live, Savage Amusement, Face the Heat, Live Bites, Humanity, and one of their "hits" compilations (I forget which one, but it is 2 disks, and has all the classics with a few rarities).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:48:50 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
As has been noted before, the problem is, their career is all over the map.  Like Yes in that regard.   "In Trance" is AWESOME, but it's nothing like "Blackout" or "Animal Magnetism" (my personal favorite of the "Matthias" era).   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
 I was not a completist until I discovered the RCA era. That was what turned me from a casual fan into a hard-core fan. But I do agree that most of their latter day stuff just does not bring it to the table. Humanity would be the exception.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2016, 10:48:27 AM »
Humanity would be the exception.

:facepalm:  Can't believe I left that off the list.  That is one of my favorite all time albums from them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Humanity would be the exception.

:facepalm:  Can't believe I left that off the list.  That is one of my favorite all time albums from them.

I was wondering why you had left it off as well. Easy : you forgot. Error fixed. Btw, HH1 is my favorite by a long shot among all the recent Scorps albums.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2019, 01:33:44 PM »
Bump because their Rock in Rio set is AMAZING!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVrSN5TUTbg

Yeah, Klaus can't hit or hold a lot of the notes he once could.  But still really solid and fun performance. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2019, 06:50:25 AM »
Looks great!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 05:06:33 PM »
Sounds good, too!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Watching now. Nice.

Klaus is 71!

This is a great gig (joining the Scorps) for Mickey Dee.

After all these years, 35 of them...Still Loving You still gives me goosebumps.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:23:22 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JLa

« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2019, 04:53:44 AM »
I remember digging some of the tracks on their "Moment of Glory" live release. I'm a sucker for orchestra though. This is sweet (especially the second part of it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJsUvABMJHA

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2019, 05:14:10 AM »
That's a fantastic setlist.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
Bump because their Rock in Rio set is AMAZING!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVrSN5TUTbg

Yeah, Klaus can't hit or hold a lot of the notes he once could.  But still really solid and fun performance.
That was painful to listen to and watch.   Rudolfe Schenker's stage antics are just silly. They sure put on a great show back in the 80's and 90's though.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2019, 03:53:19 PM »
You have a strange definition of "painful."  That was an awesome set.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2019, 04:01:48 PM »
You have a strange definition of "awesome". :P

I did like the 70's Medley. That was cool. I wish they played those songs in the 80's. I like Winds Of Change OK enough, but Send Me An Angel is just redundant there. But the opener was kind of weak, and I've never liked Make It Real.

Honestly, I don't have anything against The Scorps, but it was kind of painful listening to Klaus. But like I said, he's 71.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2019, 04:05:07 PM »
I'll say this...Matthias Jabs has never gotten his due. He's an amazing guitarist.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2019, 06:15:20 AM »
The set list is awesome, but the sound and performance is waning these days (understandably so). If I was actually at the show, I probably would have appreciated it more.  Matthias Jabbs is probably the MVP of the band at this point..
 Scorpions had their heyday, but now they have lost their sting..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2019, 07:02:16 AM »
The set list is awesome, but the sound and performance is waning these days (understandably so). If I was actually at the show, I probably would have appreciated it more.  Matthias Jabbs is probably the MVP of the band at this point..

I suppose I should listen to the show.  I'm not really ready, though, to hear them on the decline, especially Klaus, since that's the draw for me (I love that moment in "Can't Live Without You":  "one... two...a-ONE TWO THREE FOUR!").  I love the Uli years for the most part (I despite the song "Steamrock Fever", though. For some reason it rubbed me the wrong way and I'm not sure I could articulate why well enough), and I love the first four albums in the Matthias years, but after that they sort of became Judas Priest for me. I get a "hey, what're the kids buying these days!" (that is, contrived) vibe to them in the same way I get that vibe from Priest.  Having said that, I saw the "Love At First Sting" tour, and "Still Loving You" live is a treat for the ages.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »

Yeah, I don't get that at all.  I mean, if you are expecting them to perform like they are still in their 20s, you obviously aren't going to get that.  But if you don't think that performance was still extremely high level, I don't know what to say.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:27 PM »

Yeah, I don't get that at all.  I mean, if you are expecting them to perform like they are still in their 20s, you obviously aren't going to get that.  But if you don't think that performance was still extremely high level, I don't know what to say.

They're shows are really energetic. You can feel they're still giving it their all and having a blast. The fact Klaus can't sing as high anymore doesn't bother me, he still is in tune. The 70's Medley was the highlight. Really good songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2020, 04:31:11 AM »
I think their song "Arizona" has some of the best guitar playing in the 80's hard rock.
Jabs is killing it from start to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfFvM0AFG0

This song deserves much more recognition from their catalog.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2020, 04:48:42 AM »
I think their song "Arizona" has some of the best guitar playing in the 80's hard rock.

Solid. 

Lovedrive is on my checkout list.  Never got into these guys but as some of the old comments say, I too own Humanity Hour and that's a cracker.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2020, 06:58:54 AM »

Solid. 

Lovedrive is on my checkout list.  Never got into these guys but as some of the old comments say, I too own Humanity Hour and that's a cracker.

For what it's worth, I agree that Jabs is a hell of a player, and Scorpions music really fits the rocker in me...but Thor-O-Thor the lyrics to this song are so comical that I can't even listen to it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
From Taken By Force through Savage Amusement, it was always a fun thing to seek out the Herman Rarebell lyrics.  CLEARLY he didn't grasp some of the nuances of the German-to-English translation.   :)

I'm not the HUGEST fan of Jabs; he's good - very good - but his tone is a little too brittle for me compared to Uli and Michael. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2020, 10:24:57 AM »

It really was a gas!

But really...I can't rank it any higher than the bottom half of songs on an album that is loaded with really good to great songs.

Also, am I the only one who didn't know this excellent video existed?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTWoZzZ8B8
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
That was actually entertaining, in it's own way.   Ridiculous, but entertaining.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »

Solid. 

Check this out. Sails of Charon from the Taken By Force album. :metal

https://youtu.be/Zs5NOrYYV2s

Offline pg1067

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2020, 11:48:32 AM »

Solid. 

Uli in that video is the epitome of 70s "cool."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »

Solid. 

That's actually a GREAT album (it's got We'll Burn The Sky on it as well).  The intro to Sails is killer.

I loved this comment to the video:
"If I made love to my wife like Uli does to that guitar, she probably wouldn't have left me."

Trivia:  We'll Burn The Sky was co-written by Monika Danneman, Jimi Hendrix' last girlfriend.  Uli Roth, who is very much influenced by Jimi Hendrix, later dated her too.    There's something creepy about that.  :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
I've come to the point where I'm able to block out most of the Scorpions' lyrics. Klaus Meine's vocals are just another instrument for me, in that I hear them in a purely tonal aspect.

Speaking of Uli Jon Roth, I can't help thinking that his tremendous talent went to waste after he left the Scorps. It's too bad he didn't hook up with a legit band/vocalist. His Electric Sun/solo/retro-Hendrix stuff is kind of blah. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa