Author Topic: Concerts for 2023  (Read 29449 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Concerts for 2023
« Reply #840 on: December 13, 2023, 06:45:39 PM »
Catbite was a fun show! I saw them in an ittybiity place here in AZ

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: December 14, 2023, 08:00:16 AM »
Catbite was a fun show! I saw them in an ittybiity place here in AZ

I watched a few youtube videos yesterday, the songs didn't connect (at least not yet), but they seemed fun and one of the live shows I saw, it looked like they were having fun on stage.  I'm going to try to get there early to catch them.  I think there's even one more band playing and the show starts at 6pm on Sunday.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: December 17, 2023, 03:45:57 PM »
About to head out to the punk rock show tonight with the NJ locals headlining, The Bouncing Souls.

Just found this old ticket stub from seeing them at another local venue that no longer exists, not far though from where they are playing tonight, from when I was in high school.

12 bucks in 2002 vs 40 bucks tonight

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #843 on: December 17, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »
How old were you, Marc?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: December 18, 2023, 02:12:20 PM »
How old were you, Marc?

17, junior year of high school.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: December 19, 2023, 01:20:26 PM »
Sunday night was a punk rock show at my local ballroom.  The last show of the Bouncing Souls US tour as they return "home" being they formed like 20 minutes away from the venue.  They do a "stoked for the summer" show at the Stone Pony every year which is where I've seen them in the recent years, so it was nice to get to see them somewhere else, and in fact, a much better venue IMO.

To start the show was Catbite (there was another band, Blind Adam and the Federal League who were ending when I walked in at 6:30). Thought they were solid. Enjoyed their style of ska, but the songs themselves mostly didn't connect with me.  I did enjoy them though and I liked their stage energy, skanking and just looking like they were having fun.  They ended up hanging at their merch stand for most of the night after their set so I chatted with the singer briefly and the bassist. They asked me to come back to a show which I said I would if they come back to NJ.  I didn't realize until after that they are from Philly so they'll definitely be back.

Next up was Strike Anywhere.  I wasn't familiar with them and I didn't really care for their set too much.  It just didn't sound good to me, like a bit too muddy and none of the songs had anything to them to stand out or be memorable. 

7 Seconds were next.  An old school punk/hardcore band.  I actually knew some music of theirs from when I was a kid but hadn't listened to them in forever. I actually found them enjoyable.  4 pretty old dudes playing thier music completely live. It's simple music, but it sounded good.  Sadly, it seemed like the crowd was dead for them compared to the previous band. Their set wasn't anything special, but I enjoyed it.  They did a cover of 99 Red Ballooms with the girl from the opening band on vocals.

The Bouncing Souls were awesome.  They are a punk band that has really grown on me in my older age.  Likely because of their summer shows as most of the punk bands I used to listen to don't seem to play in NJ that often, but the Bouncing Souls do.  It was also like the whole venue was just chilled out until they came on and everyone went wild.  Big mosh pit and constant crowd surfers plus the loud crowd singing along.  They did like 27 songs.  Some of the highlights were that they took crowd requests at one point.  It seemed kind of canned in that the singer must have said "no" 20 times to the songs requested  :lol but eventually they took 3 songs from the crowd and did those which was pretty cool to see some randomness even if I felt like this isn't totally an open request.  The singer of Catbite came out to sing a cover song, Lean on Sheena.  During the encore of the Ghost on the Boardwalk, it seemed like all the opener band members came out to sing backing vocals.  Not sure if they've been doing that all tour or it was a last show of the tour thing.  They also made a few announcements that we aren't supposed to share, but who's going to know (or really care here)?  In 2024 they are going to do 3 "home for the holidays" shows, likely at the Stone Pony in December.  They are still doing the Stoked for the Summer show as well next summer. AND they are planning on doing "songs never played" shows, but that's not scheduled yet.  It's interesting to see this band, who've been around for 30 years now, seem to be in the best place they've ever been at.  Really fun set and I'm hoping they get some good support bands for the summer show.

^
Catbite retweeted this picture of the singer of Bouncing Souls and the singer of Catbite performing Lean on Sheena

The Bouncing Souls, 7Seconds, Strike Anywhere, & Catbite LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ 2023

one more show on the calendar year for me:

December 22nd - Lorna Shore, Currents, Rivers of Nihil, Varials @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: December 27, 2023, 12:06:52 PM »
Last show of 2023 was last Friday before Christmas and it was a Lorna Shore Christmas show!

There were five bands total, starting at 6pm, but I didn't get there until after 7, right around when the second band was finishing.  The place was sold out, but at 7:15ish, I was surprised to see no line to get in, and then when I got in, I realized why... the place was already full! Wild so see the place hot and stinky before I even walked in.

First up for me was Rivers of Nihil.  The place was so packed, I could hardly find a spot anywhere, but I know the spots of least traffic and made my way to one of them.  Just sucks because the view is already not great from that spot, but they also had 2 Christmas trees on each side of the stage, plus lots of lights for the headliner, that Rivers basically had no room on the stage and my view was severely blocked because of all the stage props.  Either way, they sounded mostly good.  The clean vocals were a bit weak honestly, but I understand there's some singer changes?  Also, no live saxophone kind of stunk.  I also thought the crowd was pretty quiet and dead for most of their set. Now that I got all the negatives out of the way, I really enjoyed them.  Fairly proggy and moody but super heavy. I scooped up one of their shirts and met the band later in the night.

Next were Currents who I had never seen before either.  I moved to a better spot between bands and scooped up a Lorna Shore inspired drink, which was really good! Currents were energetic and woke the crowd up a bit with lots of crowd surfers.  The singer had some good command of the stage.  I had never listened to them before so I didn't know any of the songs.  Sounded like metalcore music to me.  Not bad!

Lorna Shore came on last and had a crazy light show for the small Starland.  Really wild set.  They are a bit too wild for my tastes, but I couldn't help but feel like I was watching something worthy of seeing. The singer is something else.  It's once again, not really for me, but his talent of bleghing is unworldly.  I don't know how he does it.  The best would be him just screaming insanely as the song ends and then just plainly say "thank you" after  :lol Lets also not forget that the band is really wild too.  The shredding and blast beats were non stop.  They also use a lo of orchestration music so lots of backing tracks of bombastic symphonies during all this.  It's really just a lot to take in. Add in the constant Merry Christmas's and "there's no place like home" (they are from NJ) and it really felt like a special show.  They did have one guest come out to sing on a song, but I'm not sure who it was and can't find it online.

Also, before the encore, the singer came out in a Santa outfit and beard with a bag of gifts that he threw out into the crowd.  According to a youtube comment, it was socks and gloves.  Really awesome moment and something different that I love to see.

That show was #62 of the year for me and the final of 2023.  What a cool way to end the year even if it's not really my bag of tea.  Great night anyway.

A Lorna Shore Christmas + Currents & Rivers of Nihil LIVE @ Sold Out Starland Ballroom NJ 12/22/2023

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #847 on: December 29, 2023, 10:20:57 AM »
Heading to the Riviera tonight to see Umphrey's with MP. Saw that Melody tagged along and will be at the show as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #848 on: December 31, 2023, 02:26:31 PM »
I know Cram3x is working on his top concert moments, so I thought I'd beat him to the punch with my top 5...

7- A first for me...unknowingly ending up in a music video for Asterism (also seeing them perform Dawn just might have been my live song of the year)...

https://youtu.be/PqpjRVEcIWY?t=162

and Dawn... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CG9WOJu7VU

6- Monuments cranking out Opiate literally in our face...what I like to call the living room experience. No stage, just us and the band. One moment, that I didn't catch, the pit knocked a girl onto the ground on the stage, and vocalist Andy picked her up, screaming out the chorus into her face as he did it. Fucking epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJf1v3IlF1k

5- Bassist Haraguchi of Nemophila falling on her ass, with an epic recovery...

https://youtu.be/EDAV4UWQEwA?t=40

4- Tesseract performing Sirens in a special stripped down VIP set...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJEjakDejRM

3- Fans present an ocean of glowsticks for Band Maid during Daydreaming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoQ508YEE8

2- Bloodywood jumps into the pit...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2kcLt39WIQE

1- Yukina of Hanabie dives off the stage into my arms at the Whisky A Go Go...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=saved&v=333592429182183

Best Drummer- Gotta give a special nod to the guy who stepped in on a few days notice for Andy from Kamelot when his wife went into labor, can't imagine what that took.

Best Bassist- Misa of Band Maid...that girl is just fucking unreal live

Best Guitarist- Hal-CA of Asterism...and it's not even close, this young lady gave a performance of a lifetime.

Vocalist- Fuck, this is a tough one, but I gotta give the edge to Jayoung of Rolling Quartz, I think the only live singer I've seen with that level of power, range, and vocal flexibility is Floor. She's that damn good.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 02:32:13 PM by lonestar »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #849 on: December 31, 2023, 11:09:07 PM »
I don't have any top 5 moments on the top of my head, here are my top 5 concerts for this year.

1. Alter Bridge - Either the show in Toronto in February with Mammoth WVH supporting or the show in Grand Rapids in August with Sevendust
2. Disturbed/Breaking Benjamin/Jinjer at FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine. The fact that this was on my birthday and I got a good last minute ticket was pretty special to me.
3. Man with a Mission at the Regent Theater in LA back in May.
4. Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Ontario, California a few weeks back
5. Bush at Hollywood Palladium back in January

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #850 on: December 31, 2023, 11:21:29 PM »
My top 5 shows...

5- Rolling Quartz
4- Band Maid
3- Haken
2- Nemophila
1- Bloodywood

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: January 01, 2024, 09:46:31 AM »
Nice list RJ

My top 10 concert moments video is almost done, but probably not until next week.  Until then, I will just say, they are not represented in my video, but the best set I saw all year was definitely Greta Van Fleet at Madison Square Garden. Listing the rest will take some thought and I won't spoil the top 10 moments until the video is done.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #852 on: January 01, 2024, 10:03:27 AM »
MY top 5 concerts of 2023 (saw 24 shows):
5. Godsmack / Extreme
4. Queen w Adam Lambert
3. Aerosmith / The Black Crowes
2. Greta Van Fleet
1. Extreme

50 years ago :o :omg:, 1973 saw 3 GREAT shows:
Led Zeppelin (1st show ever), Elton John, ELP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: January 01, 2024, 10:04:59 AM »

incredible   :hefdaddy

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #854 on: January 01, 2024, 10:07:23 AM »

:tup

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: January 01, 2024, 10:41:20 AM »

Wow, that really is incredible.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: January 12, 2024, 02:58:47 PM »
My top 10 concert moments of 2023 video is finished and now on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_dPmFU28eg

I saw 62 concerts in 2023 and there were lots of incredible moments to choose from. I love making this video and basically getting to go through my old footage and reliving the year again.  There's so much fun and interesting things that can happen in a live concert and it's one of the reasons why I love going to shows and capturing the moments. 

It's long, almost a full half hour and took awhile to make.  Hope everyone who watches enjoys it.  :metal

Concerts for 2024 already started for me with a bang, so this time next year, I hope to have a fresh batch of awesome concert moments.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #857 on: January 12, 2024, 02:59:58 PM »
Hey-o, I enjoyed yours last year dude, I'll give this a watch shortly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: January 12, 2024, 03:06:59 PM »

Thanks! It's a long one though, certainly I'm not forcing anyone to sit through it all  :lol but I did put in the chapters for easy navigating

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #859 on: January 12, 2024, 04:04:03 PM »

Thanks! It's a long one though, certainly I'm not forcing anyone to sit through it all  :lol but I did put in the chapters for easy navigating

That was fun dude. Highlights for me were the Nanowar of Steel/Dragonforce show and Alestorm. I remember you posting pics with all the inflatable swords and eye patches! That's cool as shit and it understandably went over really well! I think I've only seen Alestorm once, but they were so much fun.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: January 12, 2024, 04:17:38 PM »

That was fun dude. Highlights for me were the Nanowar of Steel/Dragonforce show and Alestorm. I remember you posting pics with all the inflatable swords and eye patches! That's cool as shit and it understandably went over really well! I think I've only seen Alestorm once, but they were so much fun.

Dude so much fun, it's probably not that different than your Gnome pit  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #861 on: January 13, 2024, 06:06:03 AM »

Dude so much fun, it's probably not that different than your Gnome pit  :lol

Exactly, I love goofy shit like that. Metal takes itself too seriously most of the time so I love bands (and fans like you) who just want to have a good time, involving dress up :lol