Author Topic: Afghanistan's buddha statues to be rebuilt  (Read 1453 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Afghanistan's buddha statues to be rebuilt
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
If they want to get artisans to build new ones identical to the originals, more power to them.  If they're just going to try to rebuild the rubble, that'll be awful looking. 

Of course they cold just wait another 10 years of so, an then replace them with holograms of the originals; a la Tasha Yar. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »
Thank God if they are.

Anyone notice the irony of this statement?

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »
Thank God if they are.

Anyone notice the irony of this statement?
Yep.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »
Even though the Buddha would be perplexed at those distraught by their destruction. The statues too are material and non-eternal. The attachment to the material and it's inevtiable disappearance causes grief, so, while it's a shame these magnificent statues were destroyed, one should also keep in mind Buddhist philosophy that would certainly neither advocate lamenting the loss of these statues nor pouring money in to re-build them.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:07:40 AM »
I think it'd be better to leave it as is. Maybe a plaque or something explaining what went down near it...
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:14:53 AM »
I think it's much more about reclamation of cultural heritage, and a sign of survival/defiance against the Taliban, rather than being specifically about Buddhism.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »
Even though the Buddha would be perplexed at those distraught by their destruction. The statues too are material and non-eternal. The attachment to the material and it's inevtiable disappearance causes grief, so, while it's a shame these magnificent statues were destroyed, one should also keep in mind Buddhist philosophy that would certainly neither advocate lamenting the loss of these statues nor pouring money in to re-build them.

What is this notion you are portraying here? People twisting and disregarding the teachings of the religion they would kill for? Nonsense!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
Ha. I wonder how many crimes have been committed in the name of Buddhism. Re. the statues - if the holy one would neither disapprove or approve then at least they will hopefully bring more attention to his message.