Author Topic: The Frost* thread  (Read 76692 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: The Frost* thread
« Reply #455 on: May 06, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »
Yeah, supply chain issues are happening everywhere with everything these days.  I'm having a hell of a time in I.T. right now getting critical stuff we need on time.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #456 on: May 06, 2021, 03:33:03 PM »
Got that email as well. :-\

Supply chain issues are a serious problem in my line of work as well.  Seems every third call is me explaining to my customers how wildly estimated ETA's are at this point. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2021, 07:57:59 AM »
Enjoying this album a lot. The production is top notch! Favorite track so far: The boy who stood still.

Who else got this album today?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »
Enjoying this album a lot. The production is top notch! Favorite track so far: The boy who stood still.

Who else got this album today?

Listening on Spotify right now.  Digging it so far.  Sounds like a mashup of 80's Genesis and Synchronicity era Police.  I love it!

I got the email for the download link this morning, but I'm at work, so I'll have to wait until I get home.  Physical copy will probably arrive in June.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2021, 08:11:09 AM »
I might have to get the vinyl because I love the way this album sounds. The CD should arrive early next week.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: May 14, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
Listening to John always makes my day  :smiley:. I personally liked Island Life the best after the first listen. I think I'll end up liking this album a bit more that Falling Satelites.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #461 on: May 14, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
Streaming through YT music and wow how good does this album sound?
Amazing production and songs, getting a strong Police vibe to this record.
Will definitely be buying vinyl or CD.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #462 on: May 14, 2021, 07:22:49 PM »
just started my first full listen on apple music. hope I enjoy it… like the scum I am  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:40:53 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #463 on: May 14, 2021, 07:40:35 PM »
Bad news from Century Media if you ordered from them like I did...

Thank you for ordering the Frost* - Day And Age Digisleeve 2 CD from the Century Media Official Store.

We would like to inform you that due to delays in the supply chain, the release date for this item has been delayed to 6/11/2021. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Your order will ship on or around the release date, and you will receive an email confirmation when your order ships.

We again apologize for this inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
The Century Media Family

I hope the digital download still comes out next week.

-Marc.

back in march I ordered from the european insideout shop even though I'm in north america, my last few experiences with century media had been underwhelming so I figured it couldn't be worse.  Today I log on to insideout out to see this   :facepalm:
https://www.insideoutshop.de/
Dear customers
Due to high demand of (pre)orders we are forced to shut down our services for the time being. Every single order that has been placed until now will be processed as usual but with a delay.

We are really sorry about this decision and do our very best to be back on track as soon as possible.

If there are any questions or concerns please reach out to our team at shop@insideout.de.

Please also feel free to subscribe to our Newsletter to be updated about everything.

Thank you very much, stay safe!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »
Bad news from Century Media if you ordered from them like I did...

Thank you for ordering the Frost* - Day And Age Digisleeve 2 CD from the Century Media Official Store.

We would like to inform you that due to delays in the supply chain, the release date for this item has been delayed to 6/11/2021. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Your order will ship on or around the release date, and you will receive an email confirmation when your order ships.

We again apologize for this inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
The Century Media Family

I hope the digital download still comes out next week.

-Marc.

back in march I ordered from the european insideout shop even though I'm in north america, my last few experiences with century media had been underwhelming so I figured it couldn't be worse.  Today I log on to insideout out to see this   :facepalm:
https://www.insideoutshop.de/
Dear customers
Due to high demand of (pre)orders we are forced to shut down our services for the time being. Every single order that has been placed until now will be processed as usual but with a delay.

We are really sorry about this decision and do our very best to be back on track as soon as possible.

If there are any questions or concerns please reach out to our team at shop@insideout.de.

Please also feel free to subscribe to our Newsletter to be updated about everything.

Thank you very much, stay safe!

Ahhh that is quite unfortunate! Thankfully, Century Media did make a digital download version of the album available for me today so I've got it on my phone and ready to give a listen.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #465 on: May 15, 2021, 12:26:19 PM »
I'm listening to this album a lot and I'm very impressed! For those that bought the CD version, who is drumming in each song?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #466 on: May 15, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »
Just on my 2nd listen and pretty good. Kill the Orchestra was the highlight for me.

Online devieira73

« Reply #467 on: May 15, 2021, 02:29:37 PM »
The ending with Kill the Orchestra/Repeat to Fade is great!
The song Day and Age, in its complete version, has a great Porcupine Tree vibe :tup

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »
The song Day and Age, in its complete version, has a great Porcupine Tree vibe :tup

I second this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2021, 01:08:01 PM »
Listened to this on Spotify this morning.  Excellent album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: May 21, 2021, 06:27:18 AM »
Listened to this on Spotify this morning.  Excellent album.

Indeed

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: May 21, 2021, 11:28:48 AM »
I'm listening to this album a lot and I'm very impressed! For those that bought the CD version, who is drumming in each song?

Darby Todd (tracks: 2, 3, 7), Kaz Rodriguez (tracks: 1, 4, 6), Pat Mastelotto (tracks: 6, 8).

I'm giving the album a proper listen now, I really like the title track and Island Life so far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online devieira73

« Reply #472 on: May 21, 2021, 01:19:10 PM »
Thanks, Zydar!
Darby on track 7? I would bet Pat Mastelotto because of the style and continuity between tracks 7 and 8. Also, Pat and Kaz play together on track 6?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: May 22, 2021, 03:34:29 AM »
Thanks, Zydar!
Darby on track 7? I would bet Pat Mastelotto because of the style and continuity between tracks 7 and 8. Also, Pat and Kaz play together on track 6?

Granted I don't have the physical copy, but that's what it says on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Frost-Day-And-Age/release/18765568

And yeah I agree that it's odd that there are two drummers on the same track.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online devieira73

« Reply #474 on: May 22, 2021, 06:52:09 AM »
 :tup
Edit: Still, since it wasn't informed the drummer on track 5, I would bet it's Kaz Rodrigues on this track (the drum style is very similar to track 1 IMO) and only Pat on track 6 (I saw a review about the album saying that the drummer on track 6 was Pat). Anyway, thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:44:19 AM by devieira73 »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #475 on: May 22, 2021, 10:25:17 PM »
Another wonderful release from Frost* here. Just great stuff!  :hat

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #476 on: May 22, 2021, 11:00:46 PM »
LOL, honestly guys, I tried to withhold my enthusiasm for this album in my previous post because I didn't want to give away the fact that it's currently my album of the year. For me, It's pretty incredible! I loved their previous albums and I think many hold Milliontown in very high esteem. I wasn't certain the band could continue the quality that comes with this album. The wonderful melodies, the interesting song writing, and of course the awesome production. I am currently digging for interviews with the band to understand the songs and album more. I highly recommend people check it out if they have even faint interest.  :heart

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2021, 06:55:00 AM »
FROST* announce reissues of 'Milliontown' and 'Experiments In Mass Appeal' including first ever vinyl releases.

Frost* are pleased to announce reissues of their first and second albums, Milliontown & Experiments in Mass Appeal, including their first ever appearance on vinyl. Available on July 9th, 2021 as both Limited CD Digipaks and Gatefold 180g 2LP+CD, they are both now available to pre-order here:

https://frost-band.lnk.to/Milliontown-ReIssue2021
https://frost-band.lnk.to/ExperimentsInMassAppeal-ReIssue2021

Milliontown features the new 2020 remaster, and Experiments in Mass Appeal comes as the 2020 remix and remaster, both previously included on the 13 Winter’s boxset released last year.

Frost* have just returned with Day And Age, the band’s fourth record and first new studio album in five years. It features Jem Godfrey joined by John Mitchell & Nathan King, as well as 3 guest drummers: Kaz Rodriguez (Chaka Khan, Josh Groban), Darby Todd (The Darkness, Martin Barre) & Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson, Mister Mister). The album also features actor Jason Isaacs. It recently entered the UK Rock Album Chart at #2, as well as the German Album Charts at #56.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #478 on: May 28, 2021, 07:14:03 AM »
FROST* announce reissues of 'Milliontown' and 'Experiments In Mass Appeal' including first ever vinyl releases.

Frost* are pleased to announce reissues of their first and second albums, Milliontown & Experiments in Mass Appeal, including their first ever appearance on vinyl. Available on July 9th, 2021 as both Limited CD Digipaks and Gatefold 180g 2LP+CD, they are both now available to pre-order here:

Milliontown features the new 2020 remaster, and Experiments in Mass Appeal comes as the 2020 remix and remaster, both previously included on the 13 Winter’s boxset released last year.

Frost* have just returned with Day And Age, the band’s fourth record and first new studio album in five years. It features Jem Godfrey joined by John Mitchell & Nathan King, as well as 3 guest drummers: Kaz Rodriguez (Chaka Khan, Josh Groban), Darby Todd (The Darkness, Martin Barre) & Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson, Mister Mister). The album also features actor Jason Isaacs. It recently entered the UK Rock Album Chart at #2, as well as the German Album Charts at #56.

Those two albums were part of my early prog education when I was still a teenager and very influential for me. Especially Milliontown. As you all know ( :biggrin:) I am a vinyl nerd and a sucker for all things limited so I had to buy the colored ones from Burning Shed.

Well, combined with the import fees for that order (thank you Brexit), Rammstein tickets last week, an AirBnB for that concert for me and 9 (yes, nine) buddies of mine AND Big Big Train tickets a few weeks before, I now have almost no more money on my bank account  :loser:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:15 AM »

Ah this sucks! I bought the artbook thinking that the CDs were not going to release separately!

Online nick_z

« Reply #480 on: June 04, 2021, 06:53:49 AM »
Very good album. Been enjoying it quite a bit over the last couple weeks.

I like the bookends the best - the title track definitely has a Police + 80s Genesis vibe and I love the drumming on it. And the ending with Kill the orchestra/Repeat to fade is pretty majestic...

But all songs are pretty great, really. Even the weirdness of The boy who stood still  ;)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #481 on: June 04, 2021, 07:35:13 AM »
The Boy Who Stood Still reminds me of Tears For Fears' Mothers Talk, especially in the drum production and the outro.

Overall, this album, for me, is like a 21st century take on 80s albums like Synchronicity, So, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, Songs from the Big Chair, and a few other albums that captured the essence of what it was like to live in the last decade of the Cold War.  I wish I could describe it better, but those albums, for me, really define what it meant to be alive in the 80s.  They captured a sense of collective dread, of feeling like we are tiptoeing on the edge of annihilation, but also containing a little slice of hope.  This album nails that same atmosphere for me, updated for the 21st century. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #482 on: June 04, 2021, 07:37:23 AM »
Great album. The music of The Boy Who Stood Still reminds me a lot of Mothers Talk by Tears for Fears, especially at the end. And the closing double-whammy of Kill the Orchestra/Repeat to Fade gives us by far the best of the album closers that aren't Milliontown.

Online nick_z

« Reply #483 on: June 04, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »
The Boy Who Stood Still reminds me of Tears For Fears' Mothers Talk, especially in the drum production and the outro.

Overall, this album, for me, is like a 21st century take on 80s albums like Synchronicity, So, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, Songs from the Big Chair, and a few other albums that captured the essence of what it was like to live in the last decade of the Cold War.  I wish I could describe it better, but those albums, for me, really define what it meant to be alive in the 80s.  They captured a sense of collective dread, of feeling like we are tiptoeing on the edge of annihilation, but also containing a little slice of hope.  This album nails that same atmosphere for me, updated for the 21st century.

YES to all of this - great description of the overall mood of the album. And there's definitely lots of Tears For Fears in The Boy Who Stood Still...love, in particular, the theme that first starts around 2:40

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: September 21, 2022, 08:21:04 AM »
Frost* are set to hit the road in the UK later this year, for their much anticipated live-return. The band will be celebrating the release of their 2021 album ‘Day And Age’, and in advance of these tour they have launched a brand new video for the track ‘Skywards’. Watch it now here: https://youtu.be/fDww-kF6KW0 

Offline allewartenaufdaslicht_

• Go build a steam-driven machine
« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2022, 02:00:08 PM »
 :hat

I have only had the pleasure of seeing mighty Frost* play live once with Fritzinger in 2008. We were 14 at the time, vaguely knew about the band and their shining masterpieces Milliontown and EIMA that emerged in the years prior. Anyway we witnessed them supporting Spock's Beard in Germany and were completely blown away.

In anticipation of finally seeing them play again next week in Birmingham (yes, Fritzinger and I are flying in from Germany to see them, worth it) I have been listening to nothing but Frost* for the better part of 3 weeks now. I've blasted their albums in the shower, during meals with my wife (she is probably contemplating divorce as we speak), in the car and via headphones while trying to fall asleep. It's part of my routine before a prog rock show that I am pumped about. It kind of feels like I am prepairing for the show in a way as if I was in the band. I wanna be able to recognize every song within the first couple seconds, know their solos and lyrics and be able to spot variations the bands are working into their live sets. During these last couple of weeks it has become apparent to me again that this band is quite unique in their style and the "niche" they have carved out for themselves. Due to Jem and Johns backgorund as producers for mainstream pop music, the way they write choruses, how harmonics are arranged and also their (and Declan Burkes) vocal styles constantly remind me of mainstream pop music of the early 2000s. Even though I find most of this music quite profane, this is not at all meant to come across as a negative observation - quite the contrary. It makes Frost* extremely special to me because it makes them the only prog rock band processing these kinds of stilistic devices (except for Muse maybe but that is the only example that comes to mind). What makes this such a winning formula in my opinion is the fact that Jem and Johns training as pop music producers trimmed them to come up with catchy melodies. Modern day pop music is much more of a business as it was 30 years ago, the main aim is to come up with melodies and harmonics that tend to stick as soon as you hear them - which is not really typical for prog rock as it usually takes me a couple of listens when wrapping my head around a new piece of music within the genre. So basically what they are doing is using their tool box of composing catchy pop songs but combine it with the ambitious and challenging aim of composing music that satisfies the snooty prog community. IMO this makes Frost* one of the most intriguing contemporary prog rock bands.  :omg:

Anyway I would love to hear your opinions on this and appreciate some new perspectives on the matter...

I think it is safe to call myself a first ballet fanboy! See you in Birmingham!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 02:48:08 PM by allewartenaufdaslicht_ »
to the beautiful and the wise, the mirror always lies

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #486 on: April 25, 2023, 11:22:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/DUkuuCdoGdg

Islands Live 2CD/BD live set coming soon!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2023, 11:14:18 AM »
Hello! Here I am in the new Cube. It's absolutely pissing down outside. Quick update, the new Frost* album is called "Life In The Wires". No release date yet as it's nowhere near ready, sometime next year probably, but I didn't want you to think I was arsing about not working on it. I very am indeed. To that end I'm now going to stick the CP70 through a Rat, a Bad Horsie and a whammy.

Have a lovely weekend! Eat plenty of vegetables.👋

Looks like the new album will be coming next year!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #488 on: January 18, 2024, 10:51:13 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/100052235588821/posts/pfbid07URmMvDaGSXum3Apwknt73tG4xYbbrCvPQDcb4yMohCeAyfJAYAowTfbBVQhVa2Tl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Greetings Frosties!

It's Frost* inside and frost outside at Cube Towers today as it's -4 outside in UK money.

Work on Life In The Wires is progressing nicely and the old crew are back together - Craig, Nath and John are standing by, Mr Carl Glover is back onboard to deliver yet more cracking album art and even the mastering date is (foolishly) booked.

I reckon there's going to be about 80 minutes of music when this is complete so that raises an interesting thought or two doesn't it? If a single vinyl LP can hold about 40 minutes of music...🤔 🐑

Keep an eye also on the website (www.frost.life) in the next few weeks as we'll soon be announcing details of the digital releases of both "Island Live" and the long awaited "Falling Satellive" gig film from 2017.

So, at risk of an uncharacteristically grandiloquent declaration - Frost* are back in 2024!

(Just don't ask about gigs yet eh? One thing at a time. 😁)

Onwards!

Godfrey J x

Nearly 80 minutes of music?! Cannot wait for new Frost*!!

-Marc.

Online devieira73

« Reply #489 on: January 18, 2024, 12:44:23 PM »
Amazing news!!