Author Topic: The Frost* thread  (Read 76560 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Frost* thread
« Reply #420 on: September 24, 2020, 07:45:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I had meant to post about 13 Winters when I got my BurningShed email about it last week. Oops. I'm kind of saddened that they couldn't get their version of "Fanfare For The Common Man" on the B-Sides disc. I'd love to get a higher quality version of it.

I'm sure I'll order this one eventually, despite already owning most of this music.

Of course, the most exciting news is the new album next spring! Cannot wait for that one!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #421 on: September 24, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »
This is exactly what I've been waiting for. Been wanting to get into Frost* for a while, and I have Falling Satellites, but most of the older stuff is hard to find. It'll be great to get everything in one go.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #422 on: September 24, 2020, 06:55:11 PM »
46 bucks for 8 CDs is pretty good.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2020, 01:17:23 AM »
I wish they would finally rerelease their first two albums on vinyl... Milliontown is one of those albums that got me into prog back in 2006 (when I was 13) and I'd love a vinyl copy of it on my shelf.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #424 on: September 27, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »
So I went to check to see if I could still pre-order 13 Winters from Burning Shed, but it was sold out.  :'(

Fortunately, Century Media had it still in stock for pre-order, and because I ordered the DT Distant Memories artbook yesterday, they sent me a 15% off coupon code for my next order, which I promptly used for 13 Winters and got it for less than $40 before shipping. That's a STEAL for 8 discs (even if I already have more than half of that material on CD in some form or another, though the remasters will be nice to add to my collection), so I'm pretty happy I didn't order from Burning Shed right away!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #425 on: September 27, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »
It's also still in stock at LaserCD for $42, where I just pre-ordered it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline romdrums

« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
Got my copy of Thirteen Winters this week, and it looks great.  Haven’t had a chance to listen yet, but the packaging and artwork is awesome.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »
Should be receiving mine sometime next week. Got the email it shipped.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #428 on: December 14, 2020, 04:54:34 PM »
13 Winters just arrived. And it's a pretty Artbook. The pictures are great, and the story of Frost* is excellent. So glad to finally get a physical release of The Philadelphia Experiment, and to get Experiments In Mass Appeal.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #429 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:46 AM »
heh, I have all of this music digitally, but what the heck, I like throwing my support behind artists like this so they'll hopefully keep going.  Just ordered the artbook version of 13 Winters from LaserCD.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #430 on: December 15, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
The Experiments in Mass Appeal remix is great.  You can actually hear the dynamics this time!  The instrumental mix of Falling Satellites is really good as well.  Overall, this was really done, and I'm looking forward to the next album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #431 on: December 30, 2020, 12:52:17 AM »
Finally got my 13 Winters artbook in the mail today from Century Media. Even after the long delivery period, my mail carrier had accidentally delivered it to the wrong house because he couldn't read the number correctly (the 5 looked like a 6, he said).

Anyways, the artbook is well designed and put together, love the artwork and the liner notes. I ripped all the discs (except TPE) to my laptop and phone, and I've been listening to the remastered debut and it sounds SO good, but I kind of miss the bit about angels at the beginning of "Milliontown". Can't wait to hear how EIMA and FS sound remastered!

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: December 30, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
Overall I'm pretty happy with 13 Winters.  I had forgotten how much I like this band  :hat

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: March 02, 2021, 06:16:33 AM »
FROST* return with fourth studio album ‘Day And Age’

Frost* are returning with their first new studio album in 5 years on May 14th, 2021. ‘Day And Age’ is the band’s fourth record, and features Jem Godfrey once again joined by John Mitchell & Nathan King, as well as 3 guest drummers: Kaz Rodriguez (Chaka Khan, Josh Groban), Darby Todd (The Darkness, Martin Barre) & Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson, Mister Mister). The album also features actor Jason Isaacs.

Jem Godfrey comments of the new album: “2020 was the year of the studio for obvious reasons. As a result 2021 is going to be a bumper year for new music I think and we’re very happy to be riding that wave too into what I hope will be a better year for everybody.”

‘Day And Age’ was recorded over the course of 2019 and 2020, featuring 8 tracks and striking cover artwork by Carl Glover of Aleph Studios (Steven Wilson, Marillion, Steve Jansen). The full track-listing is below:

1.  Day And Age 11:49
2.  Terrestrial 5:13
3.  Waiting For The Lie 4:31
4.  The Boy Who Stood Still 7:33
5.  Island Life 4:14
6.  Skywards 4:13
7.  Kill The Orchestra 9:27
8.  Repeat To Fade 6:14

The album will be released on Limited 2CD (including a bonus disc of instrumentals), Gatefold 180g 2LP + CD (with etching on Side D), and as Digital Album. Pre-order starts March 19th.

In September 2019 Godfrey and Mitchell rented a cottage for a week in Helford, Cornwall and set about converting it into a recording studio. Day one saw them write and record “Skywards”, “Island Life” was written on day two. On day three, the duo wrote what was to become the title and defining track of the new album, “Day And Age”.

The following January, the band setup a new temporary studio for a further week in a converted coastguard tower at Dungeness in East Sussex. “We were 30 feet by the sea, next to a nuclear power station and a lighthouse, in midwinter. So there was hardly any daylight and the weather was dreadful”, laughs bassist Nathan King, “We wrote “Terrestrial” and “Repeat To Fade” there and you can definitely hear the bleak isolated oppression having an effect on us. The songs we wrote were far darker – the wind howling round the building at night, the power station generating crackles on the audio, a huge lighthouse next door sweeping light into the fog every 30 seconds and John screaming “ENJOY YOURSELVES YOU SCUM” into a microphone. It was absolutely brilliant!”.

In November 2020, Frost* released the career-retrospective collection ‘13 Winters’ which featured all their studio albums to date, plus live material, b-sides & last years ‘Others’ EP, all packaged in a beautiful artbook.

Frost* was formed in 2004 by keyboard player and singer Jem Godfrey, Released in 2006 the band’s debut album “Milliontown” was an instant success and is regarded by many as a classic in the modern prog rock genre featuring John Mitchell on guitar, John Jowitt on bass and Andy Edwards on drums. The band quickly followed it up with “Experiments In Mass Appeal” in 2008, in many ways the antithesis of “Milliontown” featuring a much more stripped back sound, more concise songs and a new band member and singer in the form of Dec Burke.

The live album “The Philadelphia Experiment” followed in 2009 and the a long gap followed before 3rd album “Falling Satellites” was released in 2016 with a new line-up of Nathan King on bass and Craig Blundell on drums, plus returning guitarist and singer John Mitchell on guitar who also co-wrote much of the album with Jem Godfrey.
FROST* online:
www.frost/life
https://www.facebook.com/frostlife/
https://twitter.com/Here_Be_Frost
https://www.instagram.com/here_be_frost/
https://open.spotify.com/artist/

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #434 on: March 02, 2021, 06:48:32 AM »
Just saw the news on Facebook! Very exciting news, and a May release is just perfect! Looks like the album will be their shortest at just over 53 minutes long, but still in line with the others, which average around 55-58 minutes. Gotta also remember that they released an EP last summer as well.

Guess I better save up for the pre-order in 17 days!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:12:29 AM by The Letter M »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #435 on: March 02, 2021, 07:09:59 AM »
Cool and the Gang.  Count me in!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #436 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:25 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Yes! This just brightened up my day
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #438 on: March 02, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »
Great news! Can't wait to hear.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: March 02, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
Good news, but 3 drummers on one album sounds a bit schizophrenic to me  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #440 on: March 02, 2021, 02:28:37 PM »

At least they aren't playing at the same time like King Crimson :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #441 on: March 03, 2021, 03:36:29 AM »

Damned, I wanted to make a King Crimson joke  :lol

I'm looking forward to this album, Falling Satellites needed over a year to finally explode for me but now I really love it. Pity that the absolutely insane Craig Blundell is not part of this band anymore, I think a lot of the drive and power on Falling Satellites came from his contributions to the sound. I only know Pat Mastelotto of the current drummers and I hope the sound will still be homogeneous and that there are not 3 totally different drum sounds throughout the songs.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #442 on: March 03, 2021, 04:17:29 AM »
Shouldn't have thought so. Arch/Matheos's Winter Ethereal had 5 different drummers across its 9 tracks and the album still had a very coherent sound and style.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #443 on: March 03, 2021, 09:22:17 AM »
I only know Pat Mastelotto of the current drummers and I hope the sound will still be homogeneous and that there are not 3 totally different drum sounds throughout the songs.

I never heard of Darby Todd before, but Kaz Rodriguez is a beast of a drummer. I think he's much more known in the Fusion world, but he's also a session guy, and I'm sure he did great for this album. I got really excited when Jem announced he got Kaz involved in the  album.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0W8bIdA0Uk

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #444 on: March 03, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »

Damned, I wanted to make a King Crimson joke  :lol

I'm looking forward to this album, Falling Satellites needed over a year to finally explode for me but now I really love it. Pity that the absolutely insane Craig Blundell is not part of this band anymore, I think a lot of the drive and power on Falling Satellites came from his contributions to the sound. I only know Pat Mastelotto of the current drummers and I hope the sound will still be homogeneous and that there are not 3 totally different drum sounds throughout the songs.

Falling Satellites is my fave album of them! Craig is killing it even more live:
https://open.spotify.com/album/7LQRUWcLAZ2X9ZAYwQkVAT?si=jO8IBBQTSBm4rFyxQ4Jc5Q
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/100052235588821/posts/271328317951686/

First single. This Friday.

Wow, so soon, did not see that coming!

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pfillion

« Reply #447 on: March 19, 2021, 06:17:27 AM »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #448 on: March 19, 2021, 07:06:27 AM »
It's going to be a long wait to May.  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2021, 07:15:52 AM »
Very Frosty song. I really like it  :smiley:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2021, 05:02:36 AM »
Frost* is releasing a new album and no one thought to tell me!?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: April 23, 2021, 07:59:33 AM »
Today, the band are pleased to launch an animated clip for an edit of the album’s title track, ‘Day And Age’. Watch it now here: https://youtu.be/RmiAmW3sgHs

Jem Godfrey comments: “Day And Age is about how we have become a planet full of transmitters. Everyone has the power to convey their thoughts far and wide. However nobody is listening because they’re too busy transmitting.”
Watch the previously released video for the track ‘Terrestrial’ here: https://youtu.be/wda09d-QdUk

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: April 23, 2021, 12:55:31 PM »
Youtube recommended it and for a moment I got all excited thinking that the new album was out. Disappointed about needing to wait a couple more weeks for the full release but I really liked the song

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #453 on: April 23, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »
Great song, but I gotta say, that Day and Age video just looks like their high school age kid animated it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #454 on: May 06, 2021, 01:52:36 PM »
Bad news from Century Media if you ordered from them like I did...

Thank you for ordering the Frost* - Day And Age Digisleeve 2 CD from the Century Media Official Store.

We would like to inform you that due to delays in the supply chain, the release date for this item has been delayed to 6/11/2021. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Your order will ship on or around the release date, and you will receive an email confirmation when your order ships.

We again apologize for this inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
The Century Media Family

I hope the digital download still comes out next week.

-Marc.