Author Topic: The Frost* thread  (Read 76135 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Frost* thread
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »
Does it mean we'll get Philadelphia Experiment available again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

I guess you missed out on last year's re-issue of it?
https://progreport.com/frost-reissue-live-album-philadelphia-experiment/

I checked The Merch Desk and they're not carrying Frost* stuff anymore, so I guess it came and went, but yeah, it was re-issued after being initially released back in 2010. The album is still available as a digital download from their bandcamp site, so if you don't mind buying digitally, that's an option.

As for the new news, I'm excited for 2 more Frost* albums and a live release as well. The Philadelphia Experiment is one of my favorite live albums of all time!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »

I guess you missed out on last year's re-issue of it?
https://progreport.com/frost-reissue-live-album-philadelphia-experiment/

I checked The Merch Desk and they're not carrying Frost* stuff anymore, so I guess it came and went, but yeah, it was re-issued after being initially released back in 2010. The album is still available as a digital download from their bandcamp site, so if you don't mind buying digitally, that's an option.

As for the new news, I'm excited for 2 more Frost* albums and a live release as well. The Philadelphia Experiment is one of my favorite live albums of all time!

-Marc.

I remember that. I didn't have funds at the time. I think it sold out by the time I got the chance, or I just totally forgot about it. I didn't even know Frost* has a bandcamp.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Frost* news
« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »
Quote from:  InsideOut FB
Official Frost*, the band masterminded by producer, keyboard player & vocalist Jem Godfrey, has announced that they have re-signed with long-time label partner InsideOutMusic (who this year celebrate their 25th anniversary).

This new deal will encompass several forthcoming releases, including 2 new studio albums, a live album (filmed at 2017’s sold out show in London), as well as reissues of the bands back catalogue. Jem had this to say: “InsideOut have been a long suffering supporter of Frost*. Unwaveringly supportive even when I was lobbing as many toys as I could find out of my pram. As time has passed, I’ve grown up and come to realise what a luxury it is to have a record company of this calibre covering your back. Many bands don’t have that luxury so I’m absolutely raring to go with the new album and the one beyond that.”

InsideOutMusic label-head Thomas Waber adds: "I am really pleased that we managed to extend our partnership with Frost* mastermind Jem Godfrey. His unpredictable nature and humour is a breath of fresh air in this genre and provides for some of the best music we have released on the label. Let's see what mischief we can come up with in the years to come!"

More news on these forthcoming releases will be released in the coming months.

Giggity on the live album.

That's the best music news I've seen in 2018, period.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2018, 07:16:35 PM »
I will believe it when I'm holding the album in my hands. And no sooner.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #355 on: August 07, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
I will believe it when I'm holding the album in my hands. And no sooner.

That's how I go with this these days. Burned too many times with Frost.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #356 on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
BUMP!

So Frost has this going on at the end of the month:
http://www.sweetwaterstudios.com/frost-recording-master-class/

And then they are doing a show in Fort Wayne on February 2nd. 
https://www.facebook.com/events/133472124224192/

Nick D'Virgilio will be sitting in on drums for both events due to Craig Blundell's commitments with Steven Wilson.  I will be at the show for sure. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

Re: The Frost* thread v. A show in Fort Wayne, IN? You betcha!!
« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:35 AM »
So Frost has this going on at the end of January at Sweetwater Sound:
http://www.sweetwaterstudios.com/frost-recording-master-class/

Nick D'Virgilio will be filling in for Craig Blundell since he'll be touring with Steven Wilson.

Also, they are doing a warm up gig in Fort Wayne on February 2nd to get ready for some festival gigs and Cruise to the Edge.  So, if you live in the Midwest and have always wanted to see Frost live, this is your chance!

https://www.facebook.com/events/133472124224192/

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »
WTF. I would love to see them, but man, that is in the middle of nowhere.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »

It is, but that's where Sweetwater HQ is, so makes sense.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2019, 08:07:37 AM »
Any updates on new music by these guys?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2019, 08:08:51 AM »

It is, but that's where Sweetwater HQ is, so makes sense.

There are farms across the street from our location, so it sometimes feels like we are in the middle of nowhere.  ;)

Although, on the positive side, one could say Fort Wayne is in the middle of everywhere.  If you were to draw a circle with a 250 mile radius and Fort Wayne in the middle, you'd hit Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, etc.  So, there's a lot of stuff to get to if you want to drive a little.  All in all, it's pretty cool. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
I'm tempted to go to this gig since Frost is one of those bands that, unless they support a bigger act like DT or SW, they may never tour the states ever. I know they have done Rosfest I believe but it usually never lines up with my work schedule. Very tempting...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2019, 08:23:54 AM »
There are farms across the street from our location, so it sometimes feels like we are in the middle of nowhere.  ;)

Do you work at Sweetwater? That would be a cool gig.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »

I've shopped at Sweetwatera couple times and I'm ALWAYS checking their page for new products/options. It'd be a very cool job indeed :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »

Yep.  It is a cool gig.  Challenging, but rewarding. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2019, 08:39:28 AM »

Cool! Sweetwater pretty much always is my go-to for any gear nowadays. I used to always order from MusiciansFriend, but Sweetwater's prices are just as good, you guys have a better selection of brands, and your customer service is waaaaaaay better. Great company.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »

Cool! Sweetwater pretty much always is my go-to for any gear nowadays. I used to always order from MusiciansFriend, but Sweetwater's prices are just as good, you guys have a better selection of brands, and your customer service is waaaaaaay better. Great company.

Awesome.  Glad you like us!  Who's your Sales Engineer?  I'll pass along the compliment.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
Awesome.  Glad you like us!  Who's your Sales Engineer?  I'll pass along the compliment.

For my most recent order (bulking up my home studio) Bryan Brubaker.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »
So Frost* was on point at their Cruise to the Edge warm up show in Fort Wayne last night.  No spoilers, but I will say Nick D'Virgilio played like he's been in the band the whole time.  Totally dug it, and if anyone is going on Cruise to the Edge this week, I highly recommend seeing their set.  You won't be disappointed.

Online faizoff

« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »
I recently bought the Falling Satellites CD after coming across one of their videos on youtube and I had honestly forgotten how awesome this album is. I like it's different enough from the previous two to be its own thing. I was looking at the comments on this thread when the album came out and if I hadn't read about the 30 min track or movement or whatever you want to call it, I would've never known that tracks 6-11 are all connected. The booklet has no mention of them being connected. The only slight clue is that tracks 6-11 are in a smaller font than the rest.

Does the 6 song suite have a name?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
I recently bought the Falling Satellites CD after coming across one of their videos on youtube and I had honestly forgotten how awesome this album is. I like it's different enough from the previous two to be its own thing. I was looking at the comments on this thread when the album came out and if I hadn't read about the 30 min track or movement or whatever you want to call it, I would've never known that tracks 6-11 are all connected. The booklet has no mention of them being connected. The only slight clue is that tracks 6-11 are in a smaller font than the rest.

Does the 6 song suite have a name?

I didn’t know about that either! Anyone kind enough to explain?

Online faizoff

« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2019, 06:36:35 PM »
Found some info from ariich's review, the suite is called Sunlight.

https://ladyobscure.com/albums/frost-falling-satellites/

The rest of the album’s songs form a suite called Sunlight – the songs mostly don’t segue directly from one to the other, but they are connected by some lyrical and musical ideas.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2019, 05:14:40 AM »
Yup. It's called Sunlight. All the tracks run into each other without a pause, and the predominantly-instrumental Nice Day for It reprises both instrumental and vocal themes from Heartstrings. It also has a callback to the opening track on the entire album, First Day.

Meanwhile, in Frost*-related news, John Mitchell's Lonely Robot has announced their third album, Under Stars, will be released on 26th April. I loved The Big Dream (still do), so this is a definite purchase for me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:27:40 AM by RoeDent »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #374 on: February 25, 2019, 06:29:49 AM »
Lonely Robot, the project masterminded by producer, guitarist and singer/songwriter John Mitchell (Kino, Frost*, Arena, It Bites), have announced the release of ‘Under Stars’ for the 26th April 2019.

John comments: “It is the final part in the astronaut trilogy, and was recorded over an intensive month and a half period. This time I wanted to reference my love of 80’s synthwave pop a little more, so beware the 808! The title is derived from belief that we as humans spend far too much time not noticing the beauty around us and far too much time tethered to technology.”

The album once again features drums by long-time collaborator Craig Blundell (Steven Wilson), plus bass contributions from Steve Vantsis (Fish), with all other instrumentation on the album delivered by Mitchell himself.

‘Under Stars’ will be released as a limited edition digipak CD (featuring 3 bonus tracks), gatefold 2LP + CD & as digital album.

The track-listing is as follows:
1. Terminal Earth
2. Ancient Ascendant
3. Icarus
4. Under Stars
5. Authorship Of Our Lives
6. The Signal
7. The Only Time I Don’t Belong Is Now
8. When Gravity Fails
9. How Bright Is The Sun?
10. Inside This Machine
11. An Ending
12. How Bright Is The Sun? (Cosmic Mix)* CD / digital bonus track
13. Under Stars (Cosmic Mix)* CD / digital bonus track
14. Lonely Robot – Chapter One – Airlock* CD / digital bonus track

Love the first two, can't wait for this one!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: February 27, 2019, 01:02:21 AM »
Fucking A!!! Can't wait to listen to it
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
From the Frost* Facebook page-

Hello all,

With much sadness I have to announce that Craig is leaving our Frostie world forthwith. He has bust his derriere off over the last decade turning himself into one of the world’s most in demand drummers, it has been an absolutely stellar trajectory and it’s a testament to his talent, determination, dedication and sheer hard bloody graft that he now finds himself where he is - playing with some of the biggest names in rock to hundreds of thousands of people all over the planet every year.

However, as with all actions there is a reaction and as such the demands on his time now mean that it has become too difficult to get our schedules to marry often enough to bear much musical fruit. We haven’t been able to gig much over the last two years for example and I know that’s been a source of frustration for our fans. To be absolutely clear, that’s not a criticism of Craig, merely the state of affairs up till now. We knew it and we went with it because we’re a band of brothers and because…Craig Blundell.

But, the next couple of years promise to be busy ones in Frost*World™ and we need to be firing on all cylinders accordingly. Craig totally gets that and, absolutely with the best interests of the band at heart, has decided to step aside so that we have the greatest chance to maximise all that’s to come.

Rest assured we are all still best of mates and he’ll always have a key to the door as nobody ever really leaves Frost* completely. Partly because everyone’s personality somehow remains embedded in our weird hive mind, but mainly because I have everyone's bank details and they all very kindly pay me a small consideration each month to not publish them on the dark web.

So I just want to publicly thank dear Blunders for everything he’s contributed in the last 10 years - all the energy, the creativity, the solos and for all the laughter. Especially the laughter. Thank you mate, we love you and we’ll miss you.

See you all out there soon. Ish…

Jem

Sad news, but it sounds like good things may be coming from Jem in the next couple of years.

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
Sad to see Craig leave, but if this means Frost* will be much more active now, then it’s good news.

EDIT: One of the comments on Twitter says “Mike Portnoy has a day off in February 2020” :rollin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:23:23 AM by gzarruk »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #378 on: May 15, 2019, 11:54:09 AM »
Sad to see Craig go. I guess he is getting busy with Hackett touring and potentially SW touring during the next 2-3 yeas.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:30 AM »
Sad to see Craig leave, but if this means Frost* will be much more active now, then it’s good news.

EDIT: One of the comments on Twitter says “Mike Portnoy has a day off in February 2020” :rollin

:lol

I wonder who will replace him though. I'm not sure how busy NDV is with his solo record and Big Big Train, but he has played with them before. So maybe they will call him again?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: May 16, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
I've come to appreciate him a lot lately and it is sad that he is leaving the band, but as you are all pointing out, if this means we'll get more frost* it is for the better. And also, that might be one of the best posts about someone leaving a band. It truly feels like there is no bad blood whatsoever  :)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #381 on: May 16, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »

I know this tweet is probably meant in jest, but please no.

I have to say, I was pretty gutted with how I found out about Blunders leaving. Jem tweeted an old Frost* Report, and I watched it. When I went back onto Twitter after that, a news item about him leaving was the next tweet. Bit of a hammer blow, tbh. All the best to him.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #382 on: July 07, 2019, 05:12:02 AM »
Honestly, what would be wrong with MP joining them full time? I know he's a strong personality and all, but no one can argue with what he'd bring to the table.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
Honestly, what would be wrong with MP joining them full time? I know he's a strong personality and all, but no one can argue with what he'd bring to the table.

His utterly disgraceful treatment of Dream Theater, particularly during the SoA period. I don't want him ruining another of my favourite bands.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »
So, Jem and John are in the studio writing and recording material for the new album. Color me excited.  :metal