Author Topic: German lawyers initiated charges against Pope  (Read 12080 times)

Offline j

Re: German lawyers initiated charges against Pope
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
Yeah, and though the CC may not be directly politically relevant anymore, there are still over a billion people who identify themselves as Catholic.

-J

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
I know I said I was taking a break, and after posting this said break will resume, but as to your comment about American partisan politics: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/opinion/05blow.html?hp
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
A moral obligation, yes.  Whether this should be mandated by laws is another issue.  I believe very
strongly in charity (and we've actually seen a lot of that from the Catholic church), but I am not for compulsion or the use of force.

This isn't about charity, this is about stopping an organization from harming. An organization that has influence over billions.

So you're not for the free exchange of ideas.

It is not the free exchange of ideas; it is a supposed mandate from on high. It is an organization that claims to be the authority on what "God" commands is right. They can change, distort and pull out of thin air whatever they want as they have done in the past. They indoctrinate people to believing it.

You are for those ideas you agree with.  

I am against those that do harm to others.

Any beliefs can be said to "cause harm;" that is a subjective interpretation unless harm is actually verifiable (for example, physical harm).

The CC harbouring rapists and spreading ignorance about condoms and sexuality in general is verifiable.

This is the same standard that was once applied to the dispensation of communist ideas in the United States.  Communism was a real threat, with real, observable consequences around the world, so the paranoia was justified.  Stifling free speech, however, was not.  You are suggesting we stifle free speech when ideas "cause harm," whatever that means.

That's nonsense, this has nothing to do with free speech. This has everything to do with an organization that has influence over billions spreading lies and harbouring criminals that cause harm and death. I would expect the very same treatment of any organization whether it be government, religous, public or otherwise. Do not confuse this with free speech.

Secondly, you've collapsed two issues that are very different.  In the second case, my family members would be rightly held liable because they were allowing the rape to happen, possibly even causing it. That said, even in this case there would be questions to be asked (use of force against the family members being kept quiet, etc....sometimes, people don't talk because they're afraid for their lives).   

The CC shuffles it's rapists around and keeps quiet, thus allowing it to happen. Any other organization would be penalized for these actions.

In the first case, though, they're simply telling me what they think.  Regardless of whether it "causes harm" or not, it's a subjective judgment about a subjective issue.

Again it falls and what I have said before about it being a command from on high.

Considering that I think they should even be able to say things that are expressly false by observation (stating that macroevolution did not occur, for example), I don't see what's so bad about that.

Well that type of ignorant banter is indeed a lesser evil. That's not what this case is primarily about, if at all. 

In the second case, they are permitting or encouraging direct physical harm to my person.  In the first case, they are simply sharing their ideas with me.  I've already stated that I have disagreements with the Catholic church, and the recent scandal is one of them.  I didn't see that that was part of the lawsuit at first.  I'm not even going to comment about that, because I do think "something should be done," but I'm not sure what.  I'm sticking to the other key element--the spreading of ideas, which seems to be what most of this lawsuit is about.

I know I'm just repeating myself but I feel the need to respond to all your points. Although I am glad you feel something should be done...it's not spreading ideas... organization... yadda yadda yadda lol

It's not really they're fault that they're popular.  They shouldn't be expected to hold back for your sake.

They should expect to be held accountable for there crimes.

So in other words, you can have your ideas, so long as you don't spread them. Kind of undermines the point of free speech, doesn't it?  Or would you just apply this in special cases, like for the rich or the religious, or ideas that you happen to think are "corrupted?" Again, I'm looking for a consistent principle here, and you're not really helping me.  Unless you really do think that no human being should be allowed to spread their ideas, in which case...well, say farewell to human interaction entirely.

The consistant principle here is people answer for there crimes and this is not about freedom of speech or the spread of ideas.

Anyone who educates anyone about anything could be arguably "taking advantage of them."  Everyone's
uneducated at some point.  No one's obligated to educate them in accordance with any world standard.

True, however we do have a moral obligation to stick up for the downtrodden and oblivious. In this case someone is trying to do just that.

Personally, I don't think of "the uneducated" as victims of anything.  So long as no one is using direct force against them, they are free to do as they like.

Wow, so according you those who are not educated can be taken advantage of in any way and are not victims. Huh, nice to know where you stand. I feel you have worded that poorly and won't hold it against you.

It seems rather offensive to conclude that "those poor Africans" don't have analytical powers of their own, or that if they choose to believe in something, they are automatically being forced.

Why is it offensive? We know they are not on par in education with places such as North America, Europe and Japan. It's not offensive it's the truth. Those whom are not well educated typically are not good at analysis. However this is not about analysis this is about there education and the CC's commands are moslty the only education on sexuality they have. Or they are indoctrinated to only that "God" (being the CC's version) is against contraception. It is not always about force but rather seclusion.   

Who's taking advantage of whom?

The CC is taking advantage of it's followers.

And again, regarding the cover-ups, no comment for now.  I think the cover-ups are indefensible.  Let's focus on the other stuff, which is what a majority of the comments have been about anyway.

Yes they are indefensible.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »
El JoNNo, I think you're underestimating people's ability to disagree and turn away from something they don't like, at least in America.  I was an "indoctrinated" Catholic from birth, but I know that if I were to have sex, condoms are the way to go.  Its common sense in this day and age.  I'm not really sure where you're getting your idea of most Catholics from. 

I'm not concerned for most Catholics. I'm concerned for those who don't have the luxury of living in a country like America and the easily coerced.

Its certainly nothing that I've experienced across many different Catholic communities.  However, I do agree that the Catholic Church needs to be dragged to the present, kicking and screaming if need be. There are a lot of things wrong with the Catholic Church, no one here's going to deny that.  But this lawsuit for everything bad the church has done ever, along with some of its doctrines, is kind of useless except the molestation of children.  That's against any kind of decency and needs to stop.

I agree completely but am still all for the case. The CC is not going to be stopped after one attempt, it will take a very long time before they lose there grip on billions. Most of this case my be a vain attempt but it is an attempt.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
Why people are obsessed over the Churches' past violence when, in the Middle East, we see nations
upon nations and other religious groups slaughtering each other as if these are still Old Testament times is beyond me. 

Because doing something about other countries would mean war and whether I like it or not it also means a cut off from resources. I would love to see places like Saudi Arabia be put in there place for the way they treat women and "infidels". Something can be done about the CC by a minority.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2011, 07:10:41 AM »
El Jonno, the formatting of your post makes it difficult to respond to you point by point, as you did for me; however, your single overall point seems to be that since the Catholic church is an organization of significant power and influence, the speech of its higher-ups should be more restricted than that of other organizations.

No, I don't believe that "misinformation" should be punished, regardless of who is the recipient, unless it is accompanied by direct aggression or is a blatantly obvious attempt to cause harm (the second case, being far more relativistic, is one I am less prone to agree with).  That is simply not the case with the Catholic church.  Perhaps my standard sounds extreme to you.  It's possible, but your far more restrictive standard, which is that the type of information the Catholic church dispenses should be regulated by outside organizations or dealt with by force of law simply because you believe its charitable work is "causing harm" has far, far more severe consequences.

I don't understand your distinction between "organizations" and "individuals."  Individuals run this organization, they are directly responsible for the information it dispenses, and to restrict this organizations' speech rights is to restrict the rights of those individuals who run it.  I'm sorry, but I just don't see the Africans as victims of the church.  In places where the church has not exercised as much influence, we've seen different problems.  If there are any problems, it is the job of the people being affected to ascertain what those are and work to fix them, or it is the job of outside parties to charitably take it upon themselves to do so. Where force is not initially involved, force is not the solution.  Period.  The solution is the marketplace of ideas, which you seem to dismiss offhand.  Since one person's victim is another person's...well, non-victim, the obvious alternative is simply to spread influence yourself.

There's no need to bring up the priest scandal.  I've already said I agree with you on that.  The Catholic Church's speech is a separate issue and the implications of speech regulation are far more wide-reaching.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
I don't see this conversation going anywhere further. You keep claiming i'm against freedom of speech and you don't see the Africans (or anyone else) as victims; I don't see anymore reason to continue. At this point it is pointless.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »
I don't see this conversation going anywhere further. You keep claiming i'm against freedom of speech and you don't see the Africans (or anyone else) as victims; I don't see anymore reason to continue. At this point it is pointless.

Out of curiosity, don't you believe people are able to make up their minds about what they believe in by themselves? Or are Africans somehow an exception to that?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »

Out of curiosity, don't you believe people are able to make up their minds about what they believe in by themselves? Or are Africans somehow an exception to that?

Yes of course, everyone is. However, when everyone around you is spouting the same thing it is more difficult to believe or comprehend anything contradictory or remotely different. Also if it is regarding the existence and/or the destination of your immortal soul, accompanied by the promise of seeing loved one again. Sometimes it is easier and more comforting to believe lies. Now I'm am not making a claim about the existence of God when I say lies I'm referring to using the possibly of the existence of God (or in there minds the fact) to peddle lies.

What compounds the lies is lack of education and poor living conditions, they don't know any better and sometimes they don't have the means even if they did.   

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
Yes of course, everyone is. However, when everyone around you is spouting the same thing it is more difficult to believe or comprehend anything contradictory or remotely different.

I'm pretty sure anyone who knows anything about Africa would know that unity on any front religious or otherwise is hardly something that people actually experience there.

Also if it is regarding the existence and/or the destination of your immortal soul, accompanied by the promise of seeing loved one again. Sometimes it is easier and more comforting to believe lies. Now I'm am not making a claim about the existence of God when I say lies I'm referring to using the possibly of the existence of God (or in there minds the fact) to peddle lies.

I don't see what you're issue here is, either. What "lies" are you talking about? If we're going to go into the Condom debate again, I'm simply going to say that I think following the CC's teachings about fidelity and abstinence is far more likely to leave you free of venereal diseases than the "green light" to have rampant uncommitted sex wearing condoms that have been distributed to you by charity organizations. That's not to say that the CC's offered the best solution: but they certainly haven't offered an evil one.

What compounds the lies is lack of education and poor living conditions, they don't know any better and sometimes they don't have the means even if they did.   

I think "they" probably know more than you're giving "them" credit for.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2011, 12:49:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure anyone who knows anything about Africa would know that unity on any front religious or otherwise is hardly something that people actually experience there.

Is that why there are communities of the same religion if Africa?

I don't see what you're issue here is, either. What "lies" are you talking about? If we're going to go into the Condom debate again, I'm simply going to say that I think following the CC's teachings about fidelity and abstinence is far more likely to leave you free of venereal diseases than the "green light" to have rampant uncommitted sex wearing condoms that have been distributed to you by charity organizations. That's not to say that the CC's offered the best solution: but they certainly haven't offered an evil one.

Abstinence is another debate... Spreading the lie that condoms are immoral is evil. Don't forget there are female condoms, which can prevent diseases and unwanted birth not just from consensual sex but rape. There is so much rape in Africa that it has earned the name rape capitol of the world. 

I think "they" probably know more than you're giving "them" credit for.

Well according to Childinfo.org only 55% of adult in 2008 were literate. Secondary School attendance is 12.9 percent. So I maybe giving them to much credit.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
Abstinence is another debate... Spreading the lie that condoms are immoral is evil.

It's not a lie. It's a point of view. And it's not an evil one.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:15 AM »
Abstinence is another debate... Spreading the lie that condoms are immoral is evil.

Fine, it's an immoral point of view.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »

Fine, it's an immoral point of view.

Who says?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
Who says?

I do and I think the ability to carry out human nature would correlate. 

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »

I'm only claiming you're "against freedom of speech" because you are, by definition, trying to restrict the speech of a group of people simply because you dislike their beliefs and have a problem with the influence they have had in the past.  Your argument on this front is dubious to me, and I'm looking for a consistent principle to apply based on your posts.

You talk about "answering for crimes" where I see none as far as the condom issue is concerned (PC is already discussing this with you, so I'll drop it for now).  Your statements about "misinformation" could apply to any religion--or indeed, anything you see as a perpetuated "lie" in the same vein as Hell.  But perhaps those perpetuating it don't think it's a lie, and those following it do so of their own free will.  What then?  Can we just declare religious speech problematic when it doesn't meet some specific standard?  What is that standard?  If there is one, I don't think the Catholic Church comes close to breaching it.

What you are proposing is that we disallow certain organizations from being charitable where we have problems with their core belief systems, or, indeed, that we subject certain belief systems to lawsuits based on whatever standard you prefer to use regarding nothing more or less than their beliefs and their choice to dispense them.  That is the consistent principle I have gleaned from your post.  Tell me where I've gone wrong--just give me something consistent and logical.  If you have and I've failed to pick up on it, then forgive me for being dense.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2011, 09:03:14 AM »
So?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »
So why promote a point of view that has objectively caused more harm than good?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »
Let me get that straight: Since human nature apparently tells Africans with sexual venereal diseases to keep mating with each other regardless of circumstances, the Catholic Church is "immoral" for telling them that condom usage isn't the answer and that they should enter filial relationships instead?

I'm sorry, but the Catholic Church isn't wrong.

Why is the church obligated to preach a viewpoint it doesn't hold, just because you don't like it because of your own admitted resentment toward distant history of its behavior toward "your" people? No one is saying the church is the only answer. If you want, you and El Johnno can write to Richard Dawkins and David Hitchens. Maybe you can persuade them to bus around Africa with a bucketful of condoms and preach to the people there about games theory of something.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »

Why is the church obligated to preach a viewpoint it doesn't hold, just because you don't like it because of your own admitted resentment toward distant history of its behavior toward "your" people? No one is saying the church is the only answer. If you want, you and El Johnno can write to Richard Dawkins and David Hitchens. Maybe you can persuade them to bus around Africa with a bucketful of condoms and preach to the people there about games theory of something.

This is exactly the point I've been trying to convey.  Why be so quick to restrict the free exchange of ideas when the alternative--simply exchanging one's own ideas--accomplishes the same thing without infringing on liberty?

To me, it appears to be laziness.  One view will always be dominant in any given region, and I suppose it's upsetting to those who find the view reprehensible.  But nothing is stopping any of them from assembling and donating their money to a cause of their own.

It's *Christopher Hitchens, I believe.  Just pointing that out :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
Oh, yeah. Christopher. That was his name.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:10 AM »
Let me get that straight: Since human nature apparently tells Africans with sexual venereal diseases to keep mating with each other regardless of circumstances, the Catholic Church is "immoral" for telling them that condom usage isn't the answer and that they should enter filial relationships instead?

Ignoring the insult, how about this: should Africans just stop having sex altogether?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »
The Church has more influence in Africa than any other Western institution.  I think it's reasonable to be angry at them for aggressively promoting a viewpoint that will objectively lead to the spread of HIV/AIDS, especially when so many other institutions and governments are attempting to stop it.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »

Ignoring the insult, how about this: should Africans just stop having sex altogether?

1.) There is no insult. What are you talking about?
2.) Or how about they be encouraged to have sex in committed relationships instead? How is that not valid?

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
The Church has more influence in Africa than any other Western institution.  I think it's reasonable to be angry at them for aggressively promoting a viewpoint that will objectively lead to the spread of HIV/AIDS, especially when so many other institutions and governments are attempting to stop it.

Feel free to be angry about it, but once you start exercising force against them for spreading their beliefs, you enter dangerous territory.  Anger towards the Catholic church should be replaced with anger toward those who want to silence the church.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »

The church's teachings don't lead to spread HIV/AIDs. The people going around having sex with multiple partners, lying about whether they have it or not, etc., are not following the Church's teachings regardless of whether they're wearing condoms or not. Why do you guys think people who regularly ignore the church's doctrine that people remain in monogamous relationships would somehow accept the church's teaching on condoms? That's bizarre!

I've heard that men in Africa will regularly lie to women than they need to have sex in order to cure their HIV. Do you think people who do this kind of thing actually are influences by the church's teachings?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »
I'm only claiming you're "against freedom of speech" because you are, by definition, trying to restrict the speech of a group of people simply because you dislike their beliefs and have a problem with the influence they have had in the past.  Your argument on this front is dubious to me, and I'm looking for a consistent principle to apply based on your posts.

You talk about "answering for crimes" where I see none as far as the condom issue is concerned (PC is already discussing this with you, so I'll drop it for now).  Your statements about "misinformation" could apply to any religion--or indeed, anything you see as a perpetuated "lie" in the same vein as Hell.  But perhaps those perpetuating it don't think it's a lie, and those following it do so of their own free will.  What then?  Can we just declare religious speech problematic when it doesn't meet some specific standard?  What is that standard?  If there is one, I don't think the Catholic Church comes close to breaching it.

What you are proposing is that we disallow certain organizations from being charitable where we have problems with their core belief systems, or, indeed, that we subject certain belief systems to lawsuits based on whatever standard you prefer to use regarding nothing more or less than their beliefs and their choice to dispense them.  That is the consistent principle I have gleaned from your post.  Tell me where I've gone wrong--just give me something consistent and logical.  If you have and I've failed to pick up on it, then forgive me for being dense.

I have pondered this receintly, taking in consideration the freedom of speech, vatican being it's own state and more. I am now starting to lean to a more gray area. I do think they should shut the fuck up. I will rethink my position.

Regarding the charity I did not intend to imply that they should stop there charitable acts. 

No human nature is to procreate. Did you ever think that maybe some people don't know they have any disease at all. The CC is trying to repress a natural human process. They condemn condoms making people think twice about having sex in case of birth. Not only do they condemn condoms but claim that condoms would make the aids situation worse. This is immoral. I do know that the pope has recently retracted some of these claims.

Yes the CC is wrong, wrong about condoms and wrong for spreading lies.

It should be obligated to preach the truth since that is one of it's tennets.

The church's teachings don't lead to spread HIV/AIDs. The people going around having sex with multiple partners, lying about whether they have it or not, etc., are not following the Church's teachings regardless of whether they're wearing condoms or not. Why do you guys think people who regularly ignore the church's doctrine that people remain in monogamous relationships would somehow accept the church's teaching on condoms? That's bizarre!

I've heard that men in Africa will regularly lie to women than they need to have sex in order to cure their HIV. Do you think people who do this kind of thing actually are influences by the church's teachings?

Or having sex with people is something you can get a away with. If your only education is from the CC and the they say condoms can cause aids, which would you do? Not have sex at all or have sex but avoid condoms. How much of the CC has leaked into general culture. Look at current laws regarding homosexuals, the ones that are against gay marriage are mostly religious.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
No human nature is to procreate. Did you ever think that maybe some people don't know they have any disease at all. The CC is trying to repress a natural human process. They condemn condoms making people think twice about having sex in case of birth. Not only do they condemn condoms but claim that condoms would make the aids situation worse. This is immoral. I do know that the pope has recently retracted some of these claims.

Yes the CC is wrong, wrong about condoms and wrong for spreading lies.

You're starting to sound like a broken record, Johnno:

"The Catholic Church's teachings on sex are wrong because I disagree with them. They Church itself is immoral because they're spreading teachings I personally think are wrong, and people in Africa are too stupid to come to the same conclusion that I have about the Church, which helps them through their lives in a lot of other ways I'm OK with. I'm so right about the sex thing that the Catholic Church should be prosecuted for holding a different opinion than me, and working toward different objectives than my own."

Yawn.

Offline j

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »

I think people DO regularly choose which teachings to ignore and embrace (just like with anything else), but this is a fairly good point regardless.  The CC isn't teaching that "condoms are evil".  It teaches that promiscuous sex with multiple partners is wrong, and so naturally it follows that it would discourage the use of condoms, which facilitate such behavior.

-J

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
I don't see how this would go anywhere. The CC's stances are pretty reprehensible in many cases, but it's not criminal.

This pretty much sums it up.

But in recently revisiting this thread, I have to say something.  I've stayed out of it since PLM jumped in and gave a soft warning.  But the insults, namecalling, and tone of a few people in this thread need to be toned down immediately.  There are a few that are borderline.  But SuperDude and PC in particular, both of you need to knock it off immediately or face potential perm bans from P/R, and possibly from the forum as a whole depending on the severity of any continued attacks and my mood at the time I come across them them.  Understood?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »
If you're talking about the stuff that went on in page 2 of this thread (almost two weeks ago) then yeah, I definitely understand. I was a bit annoyed with the 'let's put the church on trial for history' thing and thus aggressive (way moreso than Super Dude) and am actually a bit surprise nothing came down on me sooner.

EDIT: And Now I Know.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:20:58 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
Sorry bosk, I lost my cool and overreacted.  Won't happen again.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:41:27 PM by Super Dude »