Author Topic: German lawyers initiated charges against Pope  (Read 12081 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: German lawyers initiated charges against Pope
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »
If you want to have a more elaborate explanation of the atrocities against the Jews and other peoples, re-examine those periods j mentioned, the Crusades and the Inquisition in particular.  As for the harm placed upon the Church's own people, the Catholic European population, the Crusades again offer an example (diverting the populace's attention away from the corruption of European monarchies and the Church by inciting hatred against Islam), the Galileo incident and other such conflicts between science and faith, the exorbitant amounts of money made by clergy off their followers by methods such as indulgences, pilgrimages and the like...the list goes on, and if I had my book on medieval England with me (it's at home on the other side of the country :P) I may might have been able to elaborate some other deeds of the Church I found most distasteful.

You realize everyone around who's accountable for that is already dead, right? Though it is mighty nice of you to want to take out your frustrations with history on living people who aren't responsible for them.  Hey, that's sounds like something Hitler did.
Also Pope Benedict attempted a year or two ago to reinstate a Catholic prayer from the period of the Crusades, which was a prayer to save the Jews from Hell.  I know it sounds nice but it's really not.

So what?

I'm starting to think more and more that suppression of speech really is something that comes more from the left.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 12:50:11 AM »
Oh that darn free speech hating Left, always trying to get people down by advocating for equal rights for racial minorities, women and homosexuals, and always trying to promote social and environmental responsibility.  Shame on them.

Not like that Catholic clergy, who say that if you're not a Christian you're condemned to an eternity of suffering in Hell, all on the chance of the culture and life you were born into.

Anyway, the problem with your argument is that Hitler accused the Jews, Communists, and others of committing deeds that they actually *hadn't* done, whereas I suggest that in an ideal world the Catholic Church would be tried for all the corrupt deeds that they are on record of doing, and doing so rather consciously.

And if you do take or assume Hitler's accusations to be based on fact I think we have an even more serious issue at hand here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:02:25 AM by Super Dude »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 03:12:47 AM »
I've always felt the main injustice in Hitler's treatment was that he prosecuted poor minding-their-own-business Jewish people in the ghettos across eastern Europe even though it's the international Zionists who're meant to be accused and prosecuted, what the hell does the poor Polish street merchant Jew got to do with anything.
But then again right wing extremism all through history had their own definitions of justice that I don't understand.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26:25 AM »
Oh that darn free speech hating Left, always trying to get people down by advocating for equal rights for racial minorities, women and homosexuals, and always trying to promote social and environmental responsibility.  Shame on them.

Not like that Catholic clergy, who say that if you're not a Christian you're condemned to an eternity of suffering in Hell, all on the chance of the culture and life you were born into.
I get it. Just in your world of equal rights, you get to put people on trial for having opinions you disagree with. You know, I didn't draw those Hitler comparisons because I agree with him-- though you seem to want to corner me there. I drew them up because I'm still astounded that someone who realizes so fully how terrible Hitler's philosophy was could hold such equivocal views about the censuring of free speech.

Anyway, the problem with your argument is that Hitler accused the Jews, Communists, and others of committing deeds that they actually *hadn't* done, whereas I suggest that in an ideal world the Catholic Church would be tried for all the corrupt deeds that they are on record of doing, and doing so rather consciously.

And if you do take or assume Hitler's accusations to be based on fact I think we have an even more serious issue at hand here.

Uh, no. No one currently in the Catholic Church is on record of having anything to do with the various medieval atrocities you've gone at great lengths to point out. Not everyone in the entire church was in on the recent scandals, either.

Sorry, but I sense nothing but resentment on your part. It'd be one thing if you wanted the Church (specifically, the people actually involved) to be prosecuted for the recent scandals. But you actually want the entire church to pay for long-past atrocities simply because you don't like what the church has to say about Condoms and Jews. That (I'm sorry) is just as pitiful as any of the modern-day Catholic Church's misguided doctrines.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:04 AM »
Oh medieval atrocities.. I should have read the whole argument, I thought you guys were talking about child molestation stuff when you mentioned scandals heh
Perpetual Change, are you Catholic?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
More or less, yes. I disagree with a lot of it but still identify myself as such. I can see the reason in prosecuting a lot of the Church, too. But, yeah, I do get defensive when people claim they want the entire church obliterated, especially when the arguments are the usual middle-ages inspired Dawkins/Hitchens fapfest :biggrin:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 05:41:19 AM »
FFS, I never said anything about the Church being obliterated.  That explains why you've been so difficult.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »
FFS, I never said anything about the Church being obliterated.  That explains why you've been so difficult.

Well, what exactly does the "the entire institution being charged as a whole" for "centuries of crimes against humanity" entail? Maybe my imagination has run wild, but I guess that's because I guess I have no idea what you're actually envisioning when you say those things.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »
I'm so glad you're not insane.
I'm so glad you have something to add to the discussion.

There's nothing particularly wrong with what they're "charging" the Catholic church for.  I'm no Catholic myself, but their stance on condoms is what it is.  If you don't like it, don't listen to them or leave the church.  Simple.

This whole "crimes against humanity" thing is incredibly relativistic anyway.  Any organization should be able to advocate any view.

I have serious problems with some of what the church is responsible for, but this is ridiculous.

The problem with "If you don't like it, don't listen to them or leave the church" is it's not that easy when
1. You are indoctrinated from birth
2. Uneducated
3. Everyone around you believes it
4. You will be shunned or put in danger if you are not a believer

Unfortunatly this is the case in Africa and many other places were deseases like AIDS run rampant and the CC is the dominant religion. There are so many people with AIDS that there are people whom have been born with immunity to it. 

But, yeah, I do get defensive when people claim they want the entire church obliterated, especially when the arguments are the usual middle-ages inspired Dawkins/Hitchens fapfest :biggrin:

Dawkins and Hitchens eh? Interesting... Considering I have only ever seen Dawkins and Hitchens bring up "middle-age" arguments as a rebuttal. Most recent I remember Hitchens during a debate with CC members about whether or not the CC was a force for good in the world. He did a recap on the CC's history of crimes, but it was relevant to the discussion. Dawkins and Hitchens talk about religions ridiculous claims and present day stuff. Do they mention the past? Yes; when someone else brings it up or it is relevant. So I find your post inaccurate.

FFS, I never said anything about the Church being obliterated.  That explains why you've been so difficult.

Your right Chino said it. See below...

I'd rather see someone just blow up the vatican.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 06:36:31 AM »
FFS, I never said anything about the Church being obliterated.  That explains why you've been so difficult.

Well, what exactly does the "the entire institution being charged as a whole" for "centuries of crimes against humanity" entail? Maybe my imagination has run wild, but I guess that's because I guess I have no idea what you're actually envisioning when you say those things.

What I envisioned is a little vague I admit, but such a trial might lead to a major reform, such as not seen since the council that ended the schism.  This in my mind would probably seriously constrain the CC's political power, but that's pretty much it.

Also, didn't get to continue this one:

Have you ever been to the Vatican?  Particularly the museum?

Seriously, I wanna know if anyone here has been so I can work off a basis of knowledge.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
Dawkins and Hitchens eh? Interesting... Considering I have only ever seen Dawkins and Hitchens bring up "middle-age" arguments as a rebuttal. Most recent I remember Hitchens during a debate with CC members about whether or not the CC was a force for good in the world.

Those kinds of discussions are fine. In fact, I welcome them. But if we're having abstract debates like 'is the Catholic church doing more harm than good', why do coercive 'solutions' need to be involved?

At any rate, I'll refrain from saying more until I find out what Super Dude actually meant by his post.

This in my mind would probably seriously constrain the CC's political power, but that's pretty much it.

Like what?

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
The problem with "If you don't like it, don't listen to them or leave the church" is it's not that easy when
1. You are indoctrinated from birth
2. Uneducated
3. Everyone around you believes it
4. You will be shunned or put in danger if you are not a believer

Unfortunatly this is the case in Africa and many other places were deseases like AIDS run rampant and the CC is the dominant religion. There are so many people with AIDS that there are people whom have been born with immunity to it.

Honestly, so what?

Do they have an obligation to shed their conclusions on what they "know" to be true, however correct or incorrect it is, just because some conclude that the outcomes are bad?  I have been indoctrinated from birth by both my parents and the American government to favor all kinds of things--some correct, many incorrect.  Should they be tried for crimes against me?

If you have a problem with what the Catholic church is teaching in Africa, take it upon yourself to dispense your own literature or find a means to persuade people.  Yes, the Catholic church is rich and extremely large.  No, I don't think that implicates them any more.  If you were to apply this principle consistently, you'd get some pretty absurd results.

It's up to the people the church has "indoctrinated" to reach their own conclusions and take appropriate action.  As things stand, you're simply charging someone for promoting his beliefs just because he has the means to promote them effectively.

Offline j

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »
Seriously, I wanna know if anyone here has been so I can work off a basis of knowledge.

You haven't really been responding to my posts, but I'll bite.  I have not, but I'm aware that the Vatican is criticized for being overly "luxurious" (can't think of a better word), and I think there's some legitimacy to those criticisms, mostly because of what the Church professes to teach.  But if you're suggesting that that somehow negates their immense philanthropic activities, or has anything to do with them, then I'm at a loss. :lol  If that's not where you were going with that, my apologies.

What I envisioned is a little vague I admit, but such a trial might lead to a major reform, such as not seen since the council that ended the schism.  This in my mind would probably seriously constrain the CC's political power, but that's pretty much it.

The Church is not a significant political force in the world AT ALL today.

Oh that darn free speech hating Left, always trying to get people down by advocating for equal rights for racial minorities, women and homosexuals, and always trying to promote social and environmental responsibility.  Shame on them.

::)  Based on almost all of your recent posts in P/R, you seem to have a comically unwavering commitment to some "leftist" ideology.  For the record, that type of dangerous unquestioning loyalty and regurgitating of partisan sound bytes is what is wrong with this country.  There is no difference between the left and the right, stop buying into the bullshit.

That said, surely you can see that this particular opinion of yours flies in the face of everything you claim to stand for.

Sorry, but I sense nothing but resentment on your part. It'd be one thing if you wanted the Church (specifically, the people actually involved) to be prosecuted for the recent scandals. But you actually want the entire church to pay for long-past atrocities simply because you don't like what the church has to say about Condoms and Jews. That (I'm sorry) is just as pitiful as any of the modern-day Catholic Church's misguided doctrines.

All of this.  Clearly you have personal problems with the Church, and that's fine.  But leave it at that instead of trying to encroach upon a religious institution's rights.

-J

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
Honestly, so what?

Do they have an obligation to shed their conclusions on what they "know" to be true, however correct or incorrect it is, just because some conclude that the outcomes are bad?

No they do not have an obligation. This much is evident, considering they can change there stance on any given subject when they are clearly wrong. Belief at this point has nothing to do with it.

Does humanity as a whole have a moral obligation to help those in need? For the good on our species yes.

I have been indoctrinated from birth by both my parents and the American government to favor all kinds of things--some correct, many incorrect.  Should they be tried for crimes against me?

If your parents told you that AIDS is bad but condoms are worse, if they let family memebers rape you and covered it up. Yes they should tried for crimes against you and thrown in jail. I don't give a damn what anyone's belief's are if they cause injustice and harm, they need to answer for it.   

If you have a problem with what the Catholic church is teaching in Africa, take it upon yourself to dispense your own literature or find a means to persuade people.  Yes, the Catholic church is rich and extremely large.  No, I don't think that implicates them any more. 

Yes I'll get right on writing a book. However if I were too come by a vast amount of money I would speak out against them more then I do.

If you were to apply this principle consistently, you'd get some pretty absurd results.

Obviously this type of scrutiny would have to be well calculated. No democracy is perfect but it is ever evolving to a morally upright society. With every step we take at right wrongs we are taking a step in the right direction. Am I saying that every religion needs court time? No; but those whom wish to spread there corrupted influence to others the do not know any better need to get slapped.   

It's up to the people the church has "indoctrinated" to reach their own conclusions and take appropriate action.  As things stand, you're simply charging someone for promoting his beliefs just because he has the means to promote them effectively.

Taking advantage of the uneducated is what they are doing and the lawsuit is not strictly about the indoctrination it is also about the rape cover ups. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »
Not even gonna bother.  All I'll say is that I don't have totally unquestioning loyalty, but that my disinclination to question is not due to my loyalty, but rather my loyalty due to finding no reason for complaint.  After all, I could easily ask you the same thing about your own views.

Offline j

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
 :lol How predictable.

Thanks for all your reasonable, well-thought out responses.

-J

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
And thanks in turn for being a condescending asshole.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
Hmm you might want to edit that.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
No they do not have an obligation. This much is evident, considering they can change there stance on any given subject when they are clearly wrong. Belief at this point has nothing to do with it.

Does humanity as a whole have a moral obligation to help those in need? For the good on our species yes.

A moral obligation, yes.  Whether this should be mandated by laws is another issue.  I believe very strongly in charity (and we've actually seen a lot of that from the Catholic church), but I am not for compulsion or the use of force.

If your parents told you that AIDS is bad but condoms are worse, if they let family memebers rape you and covered it up. Yes they should tried for crimes against you and thrown in jail. I don't give a damn what anyone's belief's are if they cause injustice and harm, they need to answer for it.  

So you're not for the free exchange of ideas.  You are for those ideas you agree with.  Any beliefs can be said to "cause harm;" that is a subjective interpretation unless harm is actually verifiable (for example, physical harm).  This is the same standard that was once applied to the dispensation of communist ideas in the United States.  Communism was a real threat, with real, observable consequences around the world, so the paranoia was justified.  Stifling free speech, however, was not.  You are suggesting we stifle free speech when ideas "cause harm," whatever that means.

Secondly, you've collapsed two issues that are very different.  In the second case, my family members would be rightly held liable because they were allowing the rape to happen, possibly even causing it.  That said, even in this case there would be questions to be asked (use of force against the family members being kept quiet, etc....sometimes, people don't talk because they're afraid for their lives).  In the first case, though, they're simply telling me what they think.  Regardless of whether it "causes harm" or not, it's a subjective judgment about a subjective issue.  Considering that I think they should even be able to say things that are expressly false by observation (stating that macroevolution did not occur, for example), I don't see what's so bad about that.

In the second case, they are permitting or encouraging direct physical harm to my person.  In the first case, they are simply sharing their ideas with me.  I've already stated that I have disagreements with the Catholic church, and the recent scandal is one of them.  I didn't see that that was part of the lawsuit at first.  I'm not even going to comment about that, because I do think "something should be done," but I'm not sure what.  I'm sticking to the other key element--the spreading of ideas, which seems to be what most of this lawsuit is about.

Yes I'll get right on writing a book. However if I were too come by a vast amount of money I would speak out against them more then I do.

It's not really they're fault that they're popular.  They shouldn't be expected to hold back for your sake.

Obviously this type of scrutiny would have to be well calculated. No democracy is perfect but it is ever evolving to a morally upright society. With every step we take at right wrongs we are taking a step in the right direction. Am I saying that every religion needs court time? No; but those whom wish to spread there corrupted influence to others the do not know any better need to get slapped.  

So in other words, you can have your ideas, so long as you don't spread them.

Kind of undermines the point of free speech, doesn't it?  Or would you just apply this in special cases, like for the rich or the religious, or ideas that you happen to think are "corrupted?"

Again, I'm looking for a consistent principle here, and you're not really helping me.  Unless you really do think that no human being should be allowed to spread their ideas, in which case...well, say farewell to human interaction entirely.

Taking advantage of the uneducated is what they are doing and the lawsuit is not strictly about the indoctrination it is also about the rape cover ups.

Anyone who educates anyone about anything could be arguably "taking advantage of them."  Everyone's uneducated at some point.  No one's obligated to educate them in accordance with any world standard.  Personally, I don't think of "the uneducated" as victims of anything.  So long as no one is using direct force against them, they are free to do as they like.  It seems rather offensive to conclude that "those poor Africans" don't have analytical powers of their own, or that if they choose to believe in something, they are automatically being forced.  Who's taking advantage of whom?

And again, regarding the cover-ups, no comment for now.  I think the cover-ups are indefensible.  Let's focus on the other stuff, which is what a majority of the comments have been about anyway.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Hey guys, maybe we COULD work on being a little less condescending when we disagree with others (although SD could have put it a little differently).

Oh that darn free speech hating Left, always trying to get people down by advocating for equal rights for racial minorities, women and homosexuals, and always trying to promote social and environmental responsibility.  Shame on them.

::)  Based on almost all of your recent posts in P/R, you seem to have a comically unwavering commitment to some "leftist" ideology.  For the record, that type of dangerous unquestioning loyalty and regurgitating of partisan sound bytes is what is wrong with this country.  There is no difference between the left and the right, stop buying into the bullshit.

That said, surely you can see that this particular opinion of yours flies in the face of everything you claim to stand for.

and this is exactly what I'm talking about. You disagree with him? That's fine. Nobody has a problem with that. But it's presumptuous to say to someone that they have 'unwavering commitment' to an ideology, and that 'that type of dangerous unquestioning ... is what is wrong with this country'.

I mean, really. Do you think that he represents what's wrong with this country? You should probably re-examine that

Offline j

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
Hey guys, maybe we COULD work on being a little less condescending when we disagree with others (although SD could have put it a little differently).

and this is exactly what I'm talking about. You disagree with him? That's fine. Nobody has a problem with that. But it's presumptuous to say to someone that they have 'unwavering commitment' to an ideology, and that 'that type of dangerous unquestioning ... is what is wrong with this country'.

I mean, really. Do you think that he represents what's wrong with this country? You should probably re-examine that

Not SD himself, but that attitude in general I do think is a major, major problem in this country.

Either way, you're both right, I was a condescending dick.  I apologize.

-J

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
El JoNNo, I think you're underestimating people's ability to disagree and turn away from something they don't like, at least in America.  I was an "indoctrinated" Catholic from birth, but I know that if I were to have sex, condoms are the way to go.  Its common sense in this day and age.  I'm not really sure where you're getting your idea of most Catholics from.  Its certainly nothing that I've experienced across many different Catholic communities.  However, I do agree that the Catholic Church needs to be dragged to the present, kicking and screaming if need be. 

There are a lot of things wrong with the Catholic Church, no one here's going to deny that.  But this lawsuit for everything bad the church has done ever, along with some of its doctrines, is kind of useless except the molestation of children.  That's against any kind of decency and needs to stop.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »
However, I do agree that the Catholic Church needs to be dragged to the present, kicking and screaming if need be.

What exactly does this mean?  What's the rubric for determining what's appropriate for "the present," and why should anyone be dragged "kicking and screaming" into it, especially when doing so would require violating the foundations of what they perceive to be moral?

Furthermore, how do you propose to drag them into the present?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
Impressive.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »
Not even gonna bother.  All I'll say is that I don't have totally unquestioning loyalty, but that my disinclination to question is not due to my loyalty, but rather my loyalty due to finding no reason for complaint.  After all, I could easily ask you the same thing about your own views.

What does this mean?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »
SD's taking a self-imposed break from the forum, so I don't think he's able to answer at the moment

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »
Well then I'll leave with this:

I seriously do not understand where the attitude toward the Church is coming from. People in this thread are saying things like "the church needs to be put on trial for the sins of its distant past," "the church needs to be drug into the modern day kicking and screaming," and "the church needs its political power curbed." But no one is willing to give specific answers about any of this stuff. I'm really starting to feel like as far as religion goes, people tend to confuse strong, hyberbolic statements with actual proposals to solve problems that may actually exist. This thread, IMO, just kinda exemplifies that. I mean, we already have multiple examples of people making these strong statements comparing those who disagree with them to Hitler or saying people who defend the Church are "blindly loyal." It just seems to me that the modern church takes the brunt of people's frustrations with god/history/themselves, and I think it's a shame that otherwise thoughtful posters have to resort to such desperate resentment and painting the "believers" in such callous broad strokes when it comes time to talk about God.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:26:31 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
PC, have you read up on the CC in the Middle Ages? They burned "heretics" and people challenging them, they waged war in the crusades in the Middle East and against rulers of Europe, they extorted people through indulgences etc etc etc. My home town's church has a metal cage suspended from the top in which they put "sinners" for them to rot in front of the public.

The history of the Catholic Church is cruel and brutal. I just don't think you can sue them for that.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:31 PM »
Rumborak, that's precisely what I'm saying.

Edit: I mean, do people actually think that stuff has anything to do with the modern Catholic church?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:51:59 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
Rumborak, that's precisely what I'm saying.

Edit: I mean, do people actually think that stuff has anything to do with the modern Catholic church?

It might have "something to do with it"--Catholic doctrine is kind of continuous, after all, and the church has a history (in the present and past) of brushing past its wrongdoings.

Blaming the church alone, however, is a bit silly.  So many of the charges people level against "religion" are easily explained as flaws of human nature.  The Catholic church was a large organization with a monopoly on peoples' beliefs for some time.  It was a political tool for many. There was bound to be corruption.  Does that justify it?  No, but it puts it in perspective.

As far as the current church is concerned, it has less influence and does not resort to force.  In fact, recent popes have been advocates of peace.  So while Catholic doctrine can be viewed on a sort of continuum, there's no reason to hold the modern church accountable for past wrongs, any more than the United States should be held responsible for slavery.

I also think there's just an underlying hatred for conservative beliefs on sexuality.  Well, I sympathize with those beliefs, and while I do not take issue with condoms, I would probably be considered "archaic" by many people.  Whatever.  I've yet to see it definitively proven that being "archaic" or "behind the times" is a bad thing.  It's an empty insult that's become as meaningless as charges of racism.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:27 AM »
I also think there's just an underlying hatred for conservative beliefs on sexuality.

It's an underlying hatred of religion. Religions that actually hold people to strict moral codes and promote their message seem to piss the non-religious off for some reason, no matter how peacefully the religion promotes itself.

As far as the continuity of the Catholic Church goes? There's a huge difference. In the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church was a Religious-Political entity that had great power to directly set the policy of an abundance of European nations. Now the Church is just an abundantly wealthy multinational organization with some obnoxious opinions but no real power-- except over the hearts of its believers whom it inspires toward almost unanimously non-violent action. I'm more worried about nations and organizations known to pursue religious objectives violently now, in the present day, than I am ones known to have done so 500+ years ago, which is why I think the Israel comment was just as relevant here as anywhere else.

Why people are obsessed over the Churches' past violence when, in the Middle East, we see nations upon nations and other religious groups slaughtering each other as if these are still Old Testament times is beyond me. 

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 01:24:23 AM »
Looks like we're on the same page, bro.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »
I also think there's just an underlying hatred for conservative beliefs on sexuality.

It's an underlying hatred of religion. Religions that actually hold people to strict moral codes and promote their message seem to piss the non-religious off for some reason, no matter how peacefully the religion promotes itself.

As far as the continuity of the Catholic Church goes? There's a huge difference. In the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church was a Religious-Political entity that had great power to directly set the policy of an abundance of European nations. Now the Church is just an abundantly wealthy multinational organization with some obnoxious opinions but no real power-- except over the hearts of its believers whom it inspires toward almost unanimously non-violent action. I'm more worried about nations and organizations known to pursue religious objectives violently now, in the present day, than I am ones known to have done so 500+ years ago, which is why I think the Israel comment was just as relevant here as anywhere else.

Why people are obsessed over the Churches' past violence when, in the Middle East, we see nations upon nations and other religious groups slaughtering each other as if these are still Old Testament times is beyond me. 

Yes.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »
The Church is slowly drifting into irrelevance anyway. Visiting the Pope has become a gimmick at this point for heads of state.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
I don't know.  The amount of influence the Church maintains in Africa and South America is still pretty impressive.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."