Author Topic: Looking for a new band...  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Looking for a new band...
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
No clue if you have heard Porcupine Tree yet, but if you haven't, do so immediately.

This, and I'm surprised that it took this long. I thought the Porcupine Tree obsession phase was necessary for pretty much everyone sick from digesting too much Dream Theater.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
No clue if you have heard Porcupine Tree yet, but if you haven't, do so immediately.

This and Demians.  Demians has 2 cd's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »
I know this will sound like heresy, but I'm in search of a new flavor... I want to give another band a good hard listen.
Mmm not really. You'll find that a decent chunk of members on this forum (especially those that hang out in the other music sections, like me) have actually lost interest in Dream Theater, or have just found a ton of different favorites.

Anyway, I highly recommend Evergrey. Their songs are filled with amazing musicianship and dark, introspective lyrics. I'd say they're easily the best prog metal band out there right now, because they break a ton of stereotypes of the genre. And they blow bands like Redemption and Symphony X out of the water any day--both lyrically and musically. I honestly can't recommend them enough.

Porcupine Tree has already been mentioned, but they're definitely worth your time, too.

Offline i_am_here_

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
Redemption, Dominici, Nevermore, Opeth, Mutiny Within is pretty good also, love the keyboards  :metal
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
You want something really out-there and different? Try Unexpect.

Offline floppa

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
KATATONIA!!!  :metal Excellent Doom Metal!

Also as mentioned before Porc Tree, Redemption, and Opeth are great suggestions. If you want some extreme Math Metal get Meshuggah. You have to get used to Jens Kidmans voice, but fucking A can Tomas Haake play the drums!!

Offline SlitherX

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 02:38:24 AM »
X Japan

Offline dongringo

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »
Myrath - Desert Call = great prog metal from Tunisia, the middle eastern percussion and vocal melodies are what set them apart from the rest, highly recommended

Vanden Plas

Circus Maximus

Redemption

and of course the great Porcupine Tree, so great that I had to mention them again
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )