Author Topic: Looking for a new band...  (Read 5053 times)

Offline kachryan

Looking for a new band...
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
Ahh, it's not what you think!  I've been a DT fan quite awhile and like everyone here, while I anxiously await the next installment of their legacy, I find myself yearning for something new--or at least different. I know this will sound like heresy, but I'm in search of a new flavor... I want to give another band a good hard listen. I realized just the other day that while in my car with my iPhone shuffling away, that I was skipping every DT song that came on (and I have every one of them)--it's just that I've heard them all for so long (and I still haven't fully embraced BCSL. It was fairly evident there was a huge rift in the band during that session--so much recycled mediocrity--but at least there were some excellent covers). But that's for a different thread.

So... I'm looking for a real good band to sink my teeth into until the new album comes out. I like the rich layers and crisp musicianship of our DT boys. Deep thought provoking lyrics, stellar vocals, ecclectic blend of hard rock riff with a bluesy spine. A touch of other-worldliness.  Who can you Prog Dogs recommend? Now, I've given Fates Warning a fair ride in the past--they have their moments--but they always seem to come up thin just when you think they're going to break it wide open. I know Symphony X will be mentioned, but from what I've sampled...not so sure. Reminds me of TSO a bit.  Any other good edgy bands for a solid DT fan to taste?

I hope this experiment doesn't turn out like the mid 90's when everyone was trying to force Radiohead on me because some critic likened them to Pink Floyd.  Really?  I didn't get that at all. And just for the record, O.K Computer is not the Dark Side of the Moon for the 90's. About the only thing RH had in common with Floyd was that they were both British. (Sorry, again rants for another thread). Just a stream of consciousness there...

So, let me hear your recommendations:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Looking for a new band...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
I would suggest:

Planet X
Frost*

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
James LaBrie - Static Impulse  (better than anything DT has put out since 6DOIT)
Best heavy metal record I've heard in a long time.

Another really solid heavy metal album would be Shadows Fall - Retribution

Just those two albums will keep your head happy for quite a while.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »
Check out Thundersword! 

Awesome band!  Their songs really tell a story, and the musicians are the finest set I've ever heard.   :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »
Check out Thundersword! 

Awesome band!  Their songs really tell a story, and the musicians are the finest set I've ever heard.   :tup

Definitely this. I was a little apprehensive at first but after I made the dive I never looked back.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
Yeah, Thundersword is great. Definitely check out Nazgul Dragonslayer XVI.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
Check out Pain of Salvation's 'Road Salt One' album if your'e looking for the more bluesy prog

Offline j

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
I second rumbo's Frost* recommendation.

-J

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
Mindsplit- charmed Life of Human Significance. Good DT style prog metal, though not in the same league. There again, no-one is.

Threshold- dead reckoning

Seventh Wonder- Mercy Falls

Ark- Burn The Sun

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Well if you are looking for something similar to DT, then Circus Maximus is the first thing that comes to mind.  Their style is pretty similar to late 80's/early 90's DT.  Also, if you have not yet checked out Queensryche or Fates Warning,the I highly suggest you do so, as both bands are really Dream Theater's forerunners in the prog-metal movement, and both were a huge influence on DT. If you check out Queensryche, I highly recommend any album from '84 to '91 as much of their best work is from that time period.  As for fates warning, if you want to get into their more progressive side, then their material from 88 to 2000 should suffice, in particular I would recommend the "A Pleasant Shade of Grey" album from 97, one of the most complex and beguiling concept albums in existence.  Other then that.....  there was a UK band called Balance of Power in the late 90's/ early 2000's that had many similarities to DT, in particular their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums ("Book of Secrets" "Ten More Tales...." and "Perfect Balance", respectively); just avoid their last album ("Heathen Machine") as it is very generic euro power-prog.  Enchant is another great prog-metal band, as is Pain of Salvation.  And if you want something more obscure, back in the early '90s there was a little prog band called Kingsbane who sounded like suspiciously similar to Majesty/Dominici era DT and released a six song demo in 1991.  They later went through a number of name changes and eventually released a full album called "In The Name", but that original 1991 demo is still their best work.  I will post later if any other bands come to mind, but that should be enough to get you started.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:01:29 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
I second rumbo's Frost* recommendation.

-J

And, somewhat similar, Kino -Picture. Pretty damn good album.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
If you like the lighter side of DT, overall I'd say go with Frost (Milliontown was an incredible 26 minute song) although I was not really as huge of a fan of the follow up album.  Or Porcupine Tree for another option.  On the heavier side I'd say go for Kamelot.  My first album of thiers was Black Halo which has some really incredible songs.  
If you are a fan of DT for the musicianship and talent then you can't go wrong with any of these choices.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Psy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
Haken - Aquarius.

I seriously cannot recommend this band enough. Their debut album is a concept album and it's an astonishing piece of work which is easily one of my favourites in a long, long time. Musically, it covers quite a lot, making it hard to sum up the whole sound of the album. For instance, compare this, this and this.

Heck, skip from 00:50 in the first link to 5:00 and you'll see how the songs can change so much.

Give it a try. I'm sure you'll love at least one song from it. :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »
lol thundersword
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »
Of this ilk, I like Riverside myself.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »
Haken - Aquarius.

I seriously cannot recommend this band enough. Their debut album is a concept album and it's an astonishing piece of work which is easily one of my favourites in a long, long time. Musically, it covers quite a lot, making it hard to sum up the whole sound of the album. For instance, compare this, this and this.

Heck, skip from 00:50 in the first link to 5:00 and you'll see how the songs can change so much.

Give it a try. I'm sure you'll love at least one song from it. :)

I am digging this musically but the lead singer's voice... seems a little... how to best describe it?  Shrill? Cold?   maybe it's just eq'd too high on this mix, needs more warmth imho... but as a band they are by far better than 90% of the stuff out there IMHO
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline jsem

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
WUT IS THIS!? SERIOUSLY

I've googled and everything. I can't find it anywhere. I FIND NOTHING IN MY SEARCHES.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »
WUT IS THIS!? SERIOUSLY

I've googled and everything. I can't find it anywhere. I FIND NOTHING IN MY SEARCHES.

I'll try and dig up a few of their songs for you. I have them on my other hard drive.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Lotion

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

This! The only progband that really caught my attention after DT, their newest album the title track The Great Escape is also awesome.

Offline jsem

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
WUT IS THIS!? SERIOUSLY

I'll try and dig up a few of their songs for you. I have them on my other hard drive.
nvm. I'm being badly trolled here...

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »

This! The only progband that really caught my attention after DT, their newest album the title track The Great Escape is also awesome.

This. Mercy Falls is probably better as a whole but the title track of The Great Escape is amazing.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
nvm. I'm being badly trolled here...

I was very surprised to see how well everyone played along with the joke in the survivor.

Offline jsem

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:24:35 PM »
Lol. I just noticed quad got banned for 2 days for this crap.

Sucessful trolling, I was actually looking forward to cheesy power metal for the first time in my life.

Offline kachryan

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
Awesome!! Thanks for the tips... I'll be checking these out.  I liked the Haken tunes right off. We'll check the rest.

I'm not too proud to admit that I don't get the troll about Thundersword...

Anyway, thanks again.

Offline jsem

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
Yup Haken is pretty much the most epic things to ever come out of 2010

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
No clue if you have heard Porcupine Tree yet, but if you haven't, do so immediately.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
Myrath

band with a middle eatstern prog take out of Tunisia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsfqqBnASQ
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline kachryan

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
If you had to suggest the best Redemption album to cut my teeth on; which one would you suggest? Same for Kamelot?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
Probably Snowfall On Judgement Day for Redemption. Epica or The Black Halo for Kamelot.

Offline Psy

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
Beware: Snowfall on Judgement Day is terribly produced. Excellent music let down by crappy mastering. :(

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »
A bit of a different direction than most of the suggestions, but check out Dredg.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline GandL

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
This is a perfectly legit topic, but does not belong in the DT section.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dongringo

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
No clue if you have heard Porcupine Tree yet, but if you haven't, do so immediately.

^This

Be prepared to have to purchase/rip off a ton of kiler music.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )