News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

Skydivingninja's Song Roulette v. Another one?

Started by skydivingninja, February 28, 2011, 05:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skydivingninja

Expect them Sunday.  I'm about to go to a fancy dress party/relay for life (not related), then Rush is tomorrow, and roulette comes afterwards.

antigoon

ZBomber

antigoon

skydivingninja

See my post in the Rush thread and that should explain why I'm a bit pressed for time today.

Gorille85

I really want to see how you'll like this particular song...

Gorille85

skydivingninja

Starting now with the song you sent by that awful band.

antigoon

skydivingninja

I'm using your latest submission.

So far all the music I've heard by you guys sucks balls this round.  I'd never listen to it in my life ever again.  You all get 1 point.

skydivingninja

Round 6 Results!

Gorille-5 Points
Unexpect-Orange Vigilantes
This song isn't as ADD as the other Unexpect songs you've posted around GMD before.  Those songs turned me off the band because they changed riffs what seemed to be every measure.  The music's still chaotic, but there's a bit more structure to it.  I love the jazzy piano bits and the strange rhythms that change almost constantly near the beginning of the song (reminds me a bit of what Mew likes to do).  The metal bits are great as well.  Like a combination of Diablo Swing Orchestra and a more upbeat version of Orchid and Morningrise, except better.  If the rest of the new album is like this it just might be what I need to really get into these guys.  The female vocals are really good, especially when she's growling with the dude. 

ZBomber-4 Points
Shpongle - My Head Feels Like A Frisbee
Hey, these guys are actually playing a show in Asheville in May, I think.  Never heard them till now.  Sounded a bit like early Porcupine Tree, but without the cool guitar work, and a bunch of other strange instruments.  Pretty cool stuff.  Loved the transition at 3:45, as well as the spanish part at 5:00.  It just sneaks up on you without warning!  What's odd about this song is that I kind of zone out until a transition sneaks up on you and hits you in the face to say LOOK HOW COOL THIS NEW PART IS, then you just sort of zone out during the rest of that rhythm again, but in a good way, if that makes sense (and I don't think it does). 

Voxyn-4 points
Vnv Nation-Legion
Okay, this was really cool.  The intro was simple, but effective, and the addition of the dance beat later on made that great vocal melody even better.  Liked the roughness in the singer's voice as well.  Very interesting contrast with the clean dancey electronics. 

Acidrainlte-3 Points
Mr. Bungle-Ars Moriendi
More Mike Patton.  I'm not surprised.  First thought is HOLY SHIT AVANT GARDE and it keeps going like that for the rest of the song.  Its a hell of a lot more disjointed than Gorille's submission, and as a result I didn't know what the fuck was going on.  There were lots of cool parts, but really...wtf?  :rollin

Sigz-3 Points
The Avalanches-Frontier Psychiatrist
So this whole thing was made out of sampling old records?  Brilliant!  That takes mashups to a whole other level.  Really cool song that was unfortunately outclassed by that top three.

Antigoon-3 Points
Emmanuel & the Fear-Jimmie's Song
More indie as fuck music from Antigoon.  I AM NOT SHOCKED.  It was a good song though.  Liked the energy in it more than dtismajesty's equally indie-as-fuck song, but still, all I got from it was "nice."  Nothing really making me itch to check out more.

dtismajesty-2 Points
Her Name is Calla-The Sleeper
Actually think I've heard of this before.  Indie as fuck.  Nice song, though, but that's it.

Lateralus666-1 Point
Nevermore-The Heart Collector
First thing: badass title.  Second thing: the singer is pretty meh.  Its like he's trying to pull off some kind of Geoff Tate and Dug Pinnick hybrid, but sounds really really awkward instead and doesn't sound as powerful as he should.  The music wasn't that great either, IMO.  Out of the two metal bands you talk about a lot, Nevermore and Novembre, I much prefer Novembre.

ROUND SEVEN, THE PENULTIMATE ROUND!  SEND ME SOMETHING FOCUSED HEAVILY ON SYNTHS OR ELECTRONIC STUFF.

AcidLameLTE

The only good thing about this round is that Alex got 1 point.

Gorille85

Yeah, the new album is going to be more focus and mature than IaFA. I'm very glad you liked the song! :tup :D

ZBomber

Ufg, I wished I waited to send that song until this round if we're doing synth stuff.  :P

ClairvoyantCat

lateralus88

WHY IS IT THAT EVERYONE BITCHES ABOUT WARREL DANE'S VOICE HE IS A FUCKING FANTASTIC SINGER GAAAAAHHHH.

But anyway, I honestly had no idea what you'd think of Nevermore. It's understandable that you didn't care for them. But still...like...fuck you.

ZBomber

Also... I was thinking about going to the Shpongle concert here as well. Major drug fest though, probably even way too much for me to handle.  :lol

And I sent my song last night. A personal favorite of mine.  :biggrin:

antigoon

skydivingninja

ZBomber

antigoon

skydivingninja

I didn't notice.  I was too busy listening to Thundersword.

Gorille85

NOOO I was going to sent It's All Gone Tomorrow by Susanne Sundfør but I saw that Seth sent something by her earlier! >:(

Gorille85

lateralus88

I've been so busy and have no idea what to send for this round at all. I'll send the first electronic sounding song that comes up on shuffle probably.

antigoon

zxlkho

skydivingninja

ZBomber

skydivingninja

Sorry, its another crazy week.  I have two big projects due on Friday.  Once saturday hits I should have the results up.

I'm sorry for being worse than Cole, Antigoon, and BrotherH combined on getting these results out on time.   :-\

ZBomber

I will forgive you if you give my song the highest score and give antigoon the lowest

antigoon

Quote from: skydivingninja on April 13, 2011, 09:20:33 AM
Sorry, its another crazy week.  I have two big projects due on Friday.  Once saturday hits I should have the results up.

I'm sorry for being worse than Cole, Antigoon, and BrotherH combined on getting these results out on time.   :-\

Your priorities are all wrong.

antigoon

lateralus88

ZBomber