Author Topic: Official DTF Seinfeld Appreciation Thread V. It's a Thread About Nothing!  (Read 32760 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I have no idea who Kesha is, so I'm right there with Jerry. :lol :lol

Isn't that the food George's father is eating in bed? Oh, wait. That's Kasha.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I have no idea who Kesha is, so I'm right there with Jerry. :lol :lol

Isn't that the food George's father is eating in bed? Oh, wait. That's Kasha.

:clap:

that script was a nice way to start the morning.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Today is the 30th anniversary of the show, it premiered on July 5 1989.

It's still one of my very favourite shows, and definitely my favourite comedy show of all time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Agreed on all point Zydar, Seinfeld is one of the few shows that I can just watching over and over

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Indeed. So many moments ingrained into my memory
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DTA

Favorite minor characters? Has to be Puddy for me. Between the man-fur, car salesman, and face-painting, he’s got so many funny moments/lines.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Favorite minor characters? Has to be Puddy for me. Between the man-fur, car salesman, and face-painting, he’s got so many funny moments/lines.

Depends if we're talking the primary support cast, or tier-3 random appearances.  Supporting cast ... Frank Costanza.  MINOR characters... Petermen.  Hands down.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
There are 180 Seinfeld episodes and I figure I've seen each episode around 30 times at least.

That's over 5,000 times I've seen the show.

I would say it's a good show and that I like it lol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Some of the very early ones, like in Seasons 1 and 2, I have only seen maybe twice, but from Season 3 until the 3rd to last episode, I have seen all of those probably 25 times each at least.  :lol :lol

And I say "3rd to last" because the 2nd to last one was terrible, and the finale I have only gone back and watched maybe two more times since.

Offline PetFish

Supporting Cast:  Morty Seinfeld
Minor Character:  Mickey Abbot
Really Minor Character:  Bookman, The Library Cop
One-shot Character:  Wilford Brimly, Postmaster General

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room

I always really liked Peterman, his stories always cracks me up and that episode when George is ditched to have dinner with him is gold. In a similar spirit I think Elaine's dad (maybe he was only in that one episode? i forget) was great and you could feel the awkwardness through the screen when Jerry and George are waiting for Elaine to show. Frank is great too as is Puddy ofc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I always really liked Peterman, his stories always cracks me up and that episode when George is ditched to have dinner with him is gold. In a similar spirit I think Elaine's dad (maybe he was only in that one episode? i forget) was great and you could feel the awkwardness through the screen when Jerry and George are waiting for Elaine to show. Frank is great too as is Puddy ofc.

I was thinking about that one too .... Master of the House.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I was thinking about that one too .... Master of the House.

Pipe down, Chorus Boy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

I wrote a fairly long-winded bit about how my favorite supporting character on the show was Mickey. Not sure if it was here or another forum. He was the perfect foil to Kramer. The scene where he is auditioning for the theater role with Kramer when he has on his skinny jeans is genius.

Good call on Bookman too as the one-time character spot.

Peterman and Puddy were great adds to the recurring cast, giving us enough of their hilarity without overdoing it. As a brilliant comic once said, they left us wanting more.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I wrote a fairly long-winded bit about how my favorite supporting character on the show was Mickey. Not sure if it was here or another forum. He was the perfect foil to Kramer. The scene where he is auditioning for the theater role with Kramer when he has on his skinny jeans is genius.

Good call on Bookman too as the one-time character spot.

Peterman and Puddy were great adds to the recurring cast, giving us enough of their hilarity without overdoing it. As a brilliant comic once said, they left us wanting more.

Lilith Stern-Crane?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
One-shot Character:  Wilford Brimly, Postmaster General
Brimly was great. He doesn't strike you as an imposing character but he pulls it off. My favorite is the LA homicide detective who does exactly the same thing as Brimly.

https://youtu.be/o_w4L6s1j2M?t=114
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
My favorite is the LA homicide detective who does exactly the same thing as Brimly.

Oh yes! 5 minutes of internet research reveals him to be Lieutenant Martel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cOQbLHy454
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think Bookman is one of my favourite one-shot characters.

This first scene cracks me up every time :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tP9fI2zbE
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I love in that scene how Jerry Seinfeld is legit trying not to laugh numerous times, resulting in Philip Baker Fall improvising the line, "Sure, go ahead and laugh if you want," on the spot. I love stuff like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Estelle Harris passed away, just days shy of turning 94.

Cannot underrate how important she was on Seinfeld. She and Jerry Stiller had amazing chemistry.

R.I.P.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Cannot underrate how important she was on Seinfeld. She and Jerry Stiller had amazing chemistry.

R.I.P.

Yeah, they stole every scene they were in, and made Alexander a better performer, and George a better character.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Divorce is very difficult. Especially on a kid. Of course, I'm the result of my parents having stayed together... so you never know."

-George Costanza

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
His parents weren't in the scene, but one of George's best lines was when Susan's parents were talking about how tragic it is when parents outlive a child, and George replies, "Yes, I agree. I hope my parents go long before I do."  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

R.I.P.

That's sad, even at a good age of 94.  Integral character to the show for sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline crazy climber dude

At a monthly staff meeting the other day at the college where I work. HR related topics....with representing lawyers explaining various protocols for worksite behavior. Dude used a Seinfeld episode to explain something an employee got in trouble for referencing (female anatomy). He said a guy was talking about what Jerry yelled out the window to whom he said was "Mulva"....I told him that was Jerry's fall back answer/question throughout the show, and that of course it was "Dolores" at the end.

I didn't correct him in front of everyone at the meeting, but mentioned it to him afterwards. He seemed very appreciative to get the name right....though I still think it was an odd thing to bring up in the first place. Very awkward....esp. considering there were several female staff members at the meeting (including the other lawyer!). :facepalm:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
And just a couple weeks later, Liz Sheridan, who played Jerry's mom dies.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Heard about this yesterday.  Damn.  One of my favorite lines ever in Seinfeld is her answering the apartment door ... "Hellooooo, Newman".

Offline HOF

This 1985 McDonalds commercial featuring Jason Alexander makes the rounds every now and again on Twitter. Always cracks me up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1kmVwS4Hw

Offline HOF

Since I haven’t seen it mentioned reading through the thread, The Parking Garage is one of my favorite episodes, particularly the ending. Definitely something you couldn’t make in the era of cell phones, but back then this kind of stuff just happened (same with the Chinese Restaurant). Also hilarious how Michael Richards totally busted his face on the AC when he throws it in the trunk.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Since I haven’t seen it mentioned reading through the thread, The Parking Garage is one of my favorite episodes, particularly the ending. Definitely something you couldn’t make in the era of cell phones, but back then this kind of stuff just happened (same with the Chinese Restaurant). Also hilarious how Michael Richards totally busted his face on the AC when he throws it in the trunk.

I can't help but think that at least 1/2 of the Seinfeld catalog would never work in this day and age.  Kids these days will never understand the genius of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Also funny that the car not starting at the end was not planned, and you can see Jason Alexander laughing in the back seat as Michael Richards is trying to get it started. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Yeah the Parking Garage is a wonderful episode. I think my favorite bit is the peeing in the corner one. The guard just appearing out of nowhere to catch them in the act (twice!) always cracks me up.  :lol

Offline HOF

Also funny that the car not starting at the end was not planned, and you can see Jason Alexander laughing in the back seat as Michael Richards is trying to get it started.

Yep, I forgot that that bit wasn’t planned. Glad the car didn’t start, because that was the absolute perfect ending. Gold, Jerry!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Same with Richards getting out and just staring off in the distance. Brilliant improv moment.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Richards, to his credit, was the best of the four by far of not breaking character.   I have watched the outtakes and bloopers more times than I can count, and he would get frustrated at times when someone would break, but hey, JLD once said that no one was a bigger fan of the show than they were, so the cast knew that what they were doing was hysterical, and they knew it in real time.  And it is human nature. When something is funny to you, you laugh.  I always find if fun to re-watch episodes and try to find moments where someone is close to breaking character, or even doing it a little, like when Jerry is trying not laugh at being read the riot act by the library cop, who ad libbed the line, Sure, go ahead and laugh if you want," because Jerry was legit trying not to laugh, or the scene where Jerry notices Kramer's teeth are discolored due to smoking ("Look away, I'm hideous!"). There are several sudden camera angle changes in that scene to where I always think they had to cobble what we saw in the episode from God only knows how many takes.