Author Topic: Alcest  (Read 21353 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Alcest
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 08:36:41 AM »
Seeing this band headline in 9 days.

Suck it

:hat

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
The time has come. Gotta do some work, then going for dinner and will be chilling with alcest tonight. OMG I am so pumped. Will update with pictures and the like tomorrow.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 01:55:14 AM »
Sounds awesome!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 02:06:14 AM »
Oh yes. I will be chilling with Alcest hard. They might not know it yet, but they will soon  :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »
BACK.

Man, what an awesome show. I'll skip the opening bands because they're not important. The first, Elf Fatima, was a decent post-rock act that sounds ALOT like Explosions in the Sky. The second was a group of guys who just literally made noises and played with electronics the whole time, like a wannabe Bass Communion or something. Alcest is the important part, though.

Setlist is a blur, might be in the wrong order, but I'm pretty sure this is what was played unless I'm forgetting something or getting confused:

Le Secret (opener)
Les Iris
Summer's Glory (new)
Escailles de Lune pt 1
Printemps
Souvernirs
Solar Song
Peirces de Lumiere

Encore:
Elevation

The show itself was fucking awesome.  It was great seeing Alcest's tunes come to life, especially since sometimes the studio quality is less than perfect. I had chills down my spine the whole night. The heavy moments were particularly awesome, with Peices and Elevation being the highlight. Neige's live harshes are really incredible. His singing is good too, but the harshes really have such a power to them that sounds really amazing live.  Unfortunately, with my phone I could only snag a couple blurry pictures of them playing so I won't respost them here.

The audience was into it, really moving a lot and all-around having a good time. Were lots of different people there, too. Was surprised to see so many ladies. This was not the sausage fest I'm used to prog/rock/metal concerts in the states being like.

Afterwards, all the guys came out and I got pictures with everyone but the bassist. I asked Winterhalter if he could tell me anything about the new album, and he just smiled saying that it was a combo of everything. Then I asked Neige the same question, and he said "What do you want to know?" He told me it was 50 minutes long, and a combo of everything Alcest has done before. He told me that it was about being near-death, on the verge of the afterlife, etc... He told me that the next album after Voyages will contain no metal and be all "clean." A girl asked him about the lyrics, and he told her that he couldn't begin to explain the lyrics without explaining the concept of Alcest first. Being the daring one, I asked him what that was, and he told me that the "music" of Alcest is only 10 percent of Alcest, and the most important thing is the concept of the "spirit world", or "alternate dimension" which, he stressed, is not fantasy but very real. He seemed genuinely happy to talk to people interested in what he had to say about all of that stuff, and was very engaged about it all.

Afterwards, me and another guy chatted it up with him about the tour and whatnot. This was the last show, and he said that he and the band were exhausted. He said that this tour had been the biggest they had ever done, and told me they were going out again next spring or early winter with Les Discreets (I think) throughout Europe. He said his bandmates love to party (they'd been drinking while performing all night) and asked me if I knew any good bars around. Unfortunately, there were none. The gig was literally in the middle of an industrial park.

After chatting with him for like 15-20 minutes, he left to get ready to go and so did my new friend and I. But not before taking these pics with the band:

With Neige

Winterhalter

Zero

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 11:34:32 AM »
I'm really jealous, they amazed me so much with Ecailles De Lune (still have the first to check out), and I am really excited about the new one.
I had the opportunity to see them earlier this year, but I didn't go because there was also concerts with Mogwai and Tallest Man on Earth, and I sorta went with those over Alcest.

However, if they come back here on the next tour, I am SO going!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
However, if they come back here on the next tour, I am SO going!
They're doing Europe in February, with Les Discreets I think.

Someone took a very good video of Percees de Lumiere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=08_Cj1EPXqM

By the way, Neige said that's one of this two favorite songs to play. Forget what the other was... haha.

Offline PetrucciFan99

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »
new alcest is beyond godly

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »
New album is really good, have listened to it twice so far.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
New Alcest=much win. I see me playing it a lot.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
Listening to the new album for about the third time in the past two days right now  :laugh:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
New album is really good, have listened to it twice so far.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 06:21:45 AM »
new album is alright, nothing really new, still beautiful music, though. the last track is my favorite.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »

Offline adace

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »
Neige: "Hello there! Some days ago Winterhalter and I recorded demos for the next Alcest album, for which I have almost finished the songwriting. Only a few arrangements are missing, and the lyrics as well... In our case they always come late in the process. As I said in recent interviews, you can expect something different from Alcest's previous releases. I don't think there are any metal music elements anymore, though a lot of very intense parts and dynamics are still there. Things are just done in another way, and the core remains the same. That album will come back to the nostalgic side of Alcest, it's very dreamy, aquatic and a bit less progressive than the last two albums. Melodies are taking their time to grow, if you see what I mean. I feel very excited about these songs and this new approach feels very refreshing to me. I also can tell that the album will be recorded next March in Iceland at Sundlaugin, Sigur Rós' studios, with producer Birgir Jón Birgisson. There will also be guests appearances - more infos about this will come later. I will keep you posted!"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
Ecallies De Lune has been my jam for the last week or so. The entire sequence after 2:42 in Part 2 is god tier.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »
 :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat

good shit
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline adace

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 02:49:21 AM »
" The next Alcest album will be called "Shelter". We just received the master from Sterling Studios/New York City, by Joe Laporta who has done masters for Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Beach House, etc... It sounds really nice!"

:omg: :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
Hmm, I ought to check this band out.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:49:49 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline adastra

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 02:03:37 AM »
Ecailles De Lune is awesome!
My friend told me about this band saying, "Have u listened to Alcest? It is like Black metal for girlfriends."
I found that so funny that I had to try  ;D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 02:16:28 AM »
My friend told me about this band saying, "Have u listened to Alcest? It is like Black metal for girlfriends."
Or boyfriends, if a girl is into metal and her beau ain't :laugh:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:28 AM »
I finally got around to ordering some Alcest on vinyl. Les Voyages De L'Âme on Green Vinyl and Ecailles De Lune on White/Blue Marbled Vinyl.  :hat

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
I'm not a black metal fan at all and I don't have a gf, but I like Alcest, so I guess they are a good band for non-black metal fans in general :lol

Offline adastra

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 03:33:19 AM »
I'm not a black metal fan at all and I don't have a gf, but I like Alcest, so I guess they are a good band for non-black metal fans in general :lol

Yeah, Alcest is pretty far from black metal :p But It is the only kind of music with blastbeats and harsh vocals that my GF can listen to  ;D
I haven't really got to listen my precious Emperor albums without headphones for a loooooong time  :'(   I wish she wouldn't be around so much  :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline adace

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
live footage of a new song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x5kkD4l_f8E

Also, Shelter will be out in January and will be completely non-metal according to Neige.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
Oh man,thanks to Zantera I'm hooked and can't wait for more!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
OK Alcest fans, I'm seeing them open for Anathema in two weeks, and haven't heard song 1 of theirs.  How about a short playlist to get me familiar with them....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
I highly recommend the last two albums, and they are roughly 90 minutes together, so should be doable to listen to! But if you still want individual songs, I would recommend Ecailles de Lune (Part 1 and 2), Percees de Lumiere, Là où Naissent les Couleurs Nouvelles, Les Voyages de l'Âme and Autre Temps.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »
Cool, thanks my good man  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »
Those are all good tracks that Zantera recommended, but...

I'd add that the debut album, Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde, is vastly underrated, and would suggest the first 3 tracks: Printems Émeraude, Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde, and Les Iris.

:tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 12:21:35 AM »
Just dropping in to say that Les voyages... is a freaking beautiful album :heart I liked Souvenirs when I bought it half a year ago, but this one is even better.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I can pull myself away from DT12 long enough to give them a proper listen before  the show.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »
They also played a couple new songs from the upcoming album. Overall, it was a very good live show. And prepare to have your mind blown by Anathema   :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
Oh yes, unbelievably stoked for them. The venue is about the size of a very small gym, it's gonna be killer.

Offline adace

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »
From Metalstorm:

So far, we knew that Alcest's new album would be called Shelter, some guests that will be participating on the album, but not much more. Today is the day to find out more about the band's fourth album to date. Firstly, the album will be released on January 17th (January 21st in North America) on Prophecy Productions. The album cover and tracklist are also available below. As for the music, you will have to wait a little bit more for that.

The album which features guest appearances from Slowdive's Neil Halstead (lead vocals on the song "Away"), Sweden's Promise And The Monster's Billie Lindahl and Amiina's strings sections was recorded at Sundlaugin Studio, Iceland, with Sigur Rós producer Birgir Jón Birgisson.

The record is "about the concept of shelter as a safe place that allows everybody to escape reality for an instant, to reunite with what we really are, deep down. Neige's own shelter turned out to be the sea, as well as the tracks of this album, all inspired by and dedicated to it."

Tracklist:

01. Wings
02. Opale
03. La Nuit Marche Avec Moi
04. Voix Sereines
05. L'Eveil Des Muses
06. Shelter
07. Away
08. Délivrance

Bonus CD/ Bonus 7" of the deluxe editions:
01. Into The Waves

Pre-order: https://en.prophecy.de/shop/alcest-shelter.html