Author Topic: Four Americans killed by Somali pirates.  (Read 3770 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Four Americans killed by Somali pirates.
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:56 AM »
Jesus Christ. Four Americans sailing the world were taken hostage and killed by pirates.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41715530/ns/world_news-africa/
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Four Americans killed by Somali pirates.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:49:33 AM »
I'm really tired of this.  I want one of two things to happen.  Either we start putting guns on all our ships going through the area with people trained to man them, or we send the Navy down there to take care of business.  Hopefully pirates aren't like terrorists, in that if we kill pirates we're just making more of them.  Because I want them to go away.  We can even get the CIA in on this.  If their leaders (assuming they have any, dunno how organized this is) start mysteriously dying, maybe they'll get the message.

People do to you what you let them.  We're letting them mess with us and now people are dying because of it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:55:31 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:54:49 AM »
I don't think they're that organized but they are unconnected mobs, but yes killing them doesn't create more of them, they're thugs.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:34:43 AM »
From what I've understood there are already more than 100 ships hunting down the pirates around the coastline.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:44:04 AM »
From what I've understood there are already more than 100 ships hunting down the pirates around the coastline.
That sounds like a fun job.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:29:40 AM »
the Canadians are down there, but big governments hand's are tied..you can't just start shooting at every little boat. Also, the pirates, while hired thugs are killed if they return to shore empty handed....it's a pretty nasty situation.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
The Earth is damn near covered by water, so here is an idea. Stay the fuck away from Somalia. None of the other oceans good enough for you to sail on? Damn!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:48:07 AM »
The Earth is damn near covered by water, so here is an idea. Stay the fuck away from Somalia. None of the other oceans good enough for you to sail on? Damn!

It was a life goal of those 2 couples to hand out bibles to poor countries.  They were in a group of protected ships but for some silly reason they left the protection.  I for one would never hang out for any reason in those waters.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »

They were in a group of protected ships but for some silly reason they left the protection. 

They probably figured god was on their side.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
shazam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »

I would never say anything bad about one's belief even though I don't believe. I hope that wasn't the case.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »
As much of a tragedy as this is, I have to agree on the "DUH!" factor here.  If you don't know that it's a ridiculously dangerous area to be in, then you've been living under a rock.  They KNEW it was extremely dangerous to consider sailing in that area and they went anyway.  This really isn't surprising at all.  Sad and upsetting yes, but certainly not surprising.  It's like turning the burner on the stove to high, knowing how badly it has the potential to burn you, then touching it, confident that you won't get burned.  Then you get burned.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:55 AM »

I would never say anything bad about one's belief even though I don't believe. I hope that wasn't the case.

I'm being serious about that, not making fun. I have known religious people that truely believed stuff like that. I had a really religious English professor. He used to make these sailboat things as part of a hobby. He used to hell us all the time howhe would go into geographically risky areas because he felt as though he had the upper hand with god.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
That's very sad, but it shouldn't matter if they are "Americans" or not.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:40 AM »
They believed in god but didn't believe in pirates.   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »

I'm being serious about that, not making fun. I have known religious people that truely believed stuff like that. I had a really religious English professor. He used to make these sailboat things as part of a hobby. He used to hell us all the time howhe would go into geographically risky areas because he felt as though he had the upper hand with god.
That sucks. That's not how it's supposed to be, as far as God being there.

It is if God leads you there. It is NOT "Derp I can go anywehrez and be safe because I believe in God." God as a form of life insurance makes faith seem stupid.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 07:23:58 AM »

Sorry. I knew you weren't.  I was just adding my two cents.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 08:59:56 AM »
Two of these people were Seattleites, so this is getting a fair amount of local coverage here. Some snippets from the local paper show the absurdity of the situation.

"They did not let fear chart their life. They let themselves chart it and navigate it," said Lee Stenson, commodore of the Seattle Singles Yacht Club, where Riggle and Macay met.

"She was the bravest person I have ever known. She was not afraid of death; she had some sort of spiritual wisdom." Kirkham said.

Despite warnings of piracy, the group called it "a hard decision" when the other alternatives are sailing back across the Pacific or heading to the rough seas off South Africa. "When one has set one's heart on a circumnavigation, these choices are very difficult to make," the group said.

I’m a little tired of reading about how ‘brave’ they were. There isn’t anything brave about going in to a situation you know to be dangerous, just because you are not afraid.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jsem

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
You know why the pirates exist? Because their fishing waters were fished dry by western ships, and went to feed Europeans and Americans. This is because Somalia did not have a coastguard.

Now, these pirates are kind of a private, unofficial coastguard. And if some1 intrudes in their waters, they take action - because they have families to feed.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
People in Libya are being slaughtered by their own government, New Zealanders are recovering from a natural disaster, and this.  Two of these things are important and news-worthy, the third is making martyrs of foolish people.  Just like the girl who tried to sail around the world, I can't feel too bad for people who willingly and knowingly put themselves at exceptional risk.

As for people expecting God to step in and save them...he didn't step in and save over 1,000 people on 9/11, what makes you think you're so special? (not directed at any DTF'ers, more at the deceased)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
well i guess its time to kill some somali pirates..

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »

lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »
You know why the pirates exist? Because their fishing waters were fished dry by western ships, and went to feed Europeans and Americans. This is because Somalia did not have a coastguard.

Now, these pirates are kind of a private, unofficial coastguard. And if some1 intrudes in their waters, they take action - because they have families to feed.

They could take action without slaughtering people.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »

Not everyone listens to Dream Theater.

Offline jsem

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »

They could take action without slaughtering people.
How? They have no government to fall back on... nothing. If they tried to protect peacefully no one would care.

Not trying to defend the slaughtering here...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »
"Protect" from what?  These people were not a threat.  They just felt like killing them.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »
They knew about the pirates yet sailed anyways, that's not bravery that's well, crazy.

I'm not gonna argue about the pirates intention since none of us really know, unless you've been there. Somalia is a really bad place, one step outside could mean your last.

Sad they got killed, but since they knew the risks and decided to take it and lost. Well, nothing to be praising them. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Number 8 is just "Mark David Chapman" scribbled over and over again...
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:15 PM »
Stay the fuck away from Somalia.

I have ten rules I govern my life by, and this is actually number 7.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
You know why the pirates exist? Because their fishing waters were fished dry by western ships

Similarly, I pulled this info from elsewhere:

When the Somali government collapsed, international fishing factory ships came in and basically raped the ocean, catching all the fish and destroying the habitat and leaving the local fishermen to starve. They used techniques like drag-netting in shallow water that scraped the ocean floor clean, eliminating the nooks and crannies where juvenile fish live and hide from predators. No juvenile fish means no adult fish the next year, which is why drag-netting in shallow water is illegal in every area with a functioning government. The local fishermen got pissed off and started vigilante patrols to defend their fishing grounds. Then the vigilantes figured out that, as long as they had boats and guns, piracy might pay better than fishing.

To remove the symptom of Somali piracy, you have to attack the cause: lack of any authority on land.

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
As has been said before... Somalia is libertarian heaven. :neverusethis:

move this to P/R?

Offline ehra

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
As for people expecting God to step in and save them...he didn't step in and save over 1,000 people on 9/11, what makes you think you're so special? (not directed at any DTF'ers, more at the deceased)

I don't think they're in a position to answer you at the moment.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
So if we give them fish they will stop?

Offline jsem

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
So if we give them fish they will stop?
I wouldn't be so sure about that now, cuz they're making more money off this than fishing. Once you've given them the bigger cake they won't give it back.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »

When the Somali government collapsed, international fishing factory ships came in and basically raped the ocean, catching all the fish and destroying the habitat and leaving the local fishermen to starve. They used techniques like drag-netting in shallow water that scraped the ocean floor clean, eliminating the nooks and crannies where juvenile fish live and hide from predators. No juvenile fish means no adult fish the next year, which is why drag-netting in shallow water is illegal in every area with a functioning government. The local fishermen got pissed off and started vigilante patrols to defend their fishing grounds. Then the vigilantes figured out that, as long as they had boats and guns, piracy might pay better than fishing.

To remove the symptom of Somali piracy, you have to attack the cause: lack of any authority on land.

We should just net-drag all of Samali

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »
I had no idea the extent people went to to illegally download copyrighted material...