Author Topic: White Rose  (Read 771 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
White Rose
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
68 years ago today the three main members of White Rose (die Weiße Rose) were executed for treason.
The White Rose was a resistance group in Germany opposing the turn the war took after Germany invaded France and started the quest for more and more territories through occupation and militarism.
They were peaceful protesters, the real peak of their active resistance was the writing and distributing of anti-government leaflets after losing friends and fellow students in the biggest German defeat since the war started in the battle of Stalingrad where more than 700,000 German soldiers died in action.
Obviously there's a lot more details but I wanna keep this short to keep it readable, Google White Rose if you're interested, they have a good Wikipedia page.
I started reading about White Rose early last year and found them very fascinating, especially the three students that were executed on February the 22nd 1943. Sophie Scholl, her brother Hans and Christoph Probst, they were young, they were clever and rebellious at an early point of modern history when that was extremely rare and under a regime that doesn't take opposition too lightly.
Today I think about them, I pay homage to them in this thread and I also told their stories to my co-workers during dinner in the mess hall.

Hans and Sophie Scholl and Christoph Probst

The beautiful Sophie Scholl

Names and faces that will forever inspire imo, RIP
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline William Wallace

Re: White Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »
Sophie Scholl: The Last Days is a fantastic retelling of the story. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: White Rose
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »
Yeah it's one of two German movies made about the White Rose, the older one was in the 80's, the one you're talking about is a lot better.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.