Author Topic: DIY Song Roulette v. 2indie4u Round 4: Covers  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: DIY Song Roulette v. 2indie4u Round 4: Covers
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2011, 04:41:34 AM »
Sorry, I'm not gonna be able to do one this week, too much stuff. Is anyone else going to submit or should I put up the voting?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:15 AM »
Definitely leave it up.  I think at least two more people are going to submit. 

Offline jsem

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2011, 04:49:34 AM »
Yeah, I can wait too.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
Whoops, thought I'd linked to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBD9fddzVxo

No EQing, just a straight-up live cover. A few mistakes, dodgy camera angle, and the bass doesn't come through at all which makes it sound weedy as hell, but hey. Limited resources.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
That was really cool, Rob!

Offline jsem

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
Pretty cool rob. Definitely lacked lower end as you said.

I thought you coulda been a little creative with the bass though, not just playing quarter notes - but I shouldn't complain too much. Good stuff.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Whoops, thought I'd linked to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBD9fddzVxo

No EQing, just a straight-up live cover. A few mistakes, dodgy camera angle, and the bass doesn't come through at all which makes it sound weedy as hell, but hey. Limited resources.

:tup sweeeet!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
Pretty cool rob. Definitely lacked lower end as you said.

I thought you coulda been a little creative with the bass though, not just playing quarter notes - but I shouldn't complain too much. Good stuff.
Nah, I totally agree! That's my own weak playing. I'm not especially dextrous with my left hand is the thing - only been playing piano with any real regularity for about a year. If my line in worked, I'd have tried sprucing it up by adding strings and pads and god knows what else, but my shizzle's broken and so live performance was really the only option. Warts and awful camera-microphones and all.

Was looking forward to this round, bit miffed I've not been able to do anything even close to as cool as I'd have liked, but ah well! Cheers for the compliments, guys.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
You have a lot of very good music on your Youtube account, I see.  Seriously, you are very talented. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Ha! Thanks. I don't think I've recorded much of it very well. There's usually one thing I hate about each of the recordings. Mission to Mars would be good without the awful piano substituting one of the guitar riffs. Downhill has bass which sounds like it was recorded through a hotel room ceiling. Sleeping Sickness' drums don't work at all, and the song's missing guitar. For some reason I flanged the already crappy keys on the Overcast Skies demo - can't remember why I did that at all. I'm happy with the OS piano version, though.

Also, I'm dead rubbish at expressing gratitude, but I'm very flattered that you took the time to go through it, let alone enjoyed some of it. Immeasurably so - I never really show it to anyone, just upload it as a cursory gesture and let it stagnate, 'cause I'm never entirely happy with any of it. So cheers loads!

EDIT: Listening back, I think Mission to Mars is my best one. v.2. Shit piano and all. I'm really enjoying it. I'd genuinely quite love to find a band who'd be willing to play that.

...What were we talking about again?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:05:04 PM by robwebster »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »
Mission to Mars was my favorite, too.  Seriously, you're music is music that I would want to listen to regardless of whether I knew you or not.  I don't know if I'm explaining this right, but I mean it in the highest compliment possible, in the way that if I came across it at random I would think "Hey, this is quality stuff.  I would listen to this on my free time if I could acquire it."  That's my best way of describing it, hope I don't sound like I'm flattering, I'm honestly amazed by some of the music you've done. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Oh wow! I'm genuinely very, very pleased. That's exactly what I'm going for!

Like I say, I'm never entirely satisfied - I tend to think of myself as a bit of a "hack," musically, and if I'm honest I've always felt slightly outclassed by my brother, but you're making me want to write loads and loads of songs forever and ever until the end of time itself. Overwhelmed in the best possible way. This is making songwriting feel a lot less like a waste of my time. Thanks a billion!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Oh wow! I'm genuinely very, very pleased. That's exactly what I'm going for!

Like I say, I'm never entirely satisfied - I tend to think of myself as a bit of a "hack," musically, and if I'm honest I've always felt slightly outclassed by my brother, but you're making me want to write loads and loads of songs forever and ever until the end of time itself. Overwhelmed in the best possible way. This is making songwriting feel a lot less like a waste of my time. Thanks a billion!

Man, I could write the same thing!  My older brother is a pretty freaking good guitarist and he's currently touring the states with a band at the moment, they're doing really well and all I ever here from people is 'How's [your brother] doing?'.  :lol I love him, for sure, but its tough living in his shadow.  Especially when he's off doing 'big things' and I'm stuck at home going through chemo and making crap music in the shed :lol

Rob, keep on keeping on brother; your stuff is awesome, no doubt, but more importantly its an extension of who you are as a person.  If you're convinced that whatever you're writing is from your heart then there's absolutely no reason for you to feel like a 'hack' or worry about being outclassed by anyone else.  If its from inside, you can't go wrong.

That's how I see things anyway.  Haters gon' hate.

Offline jsem

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2011, 02:42:23 AM »
So how are we doing on voting?