Author Topic: Libyans protest, Gadhafi orders troops to open fire  (Read 23666 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Libyans protest, Gadhafi orders troops to open fire
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
I made the correct BTTF reply.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:01 AM »
 :facepalm:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
Gadhafi gave an interview to BBC and others. Holy shit is the guy delusional. He thinks this is all al-Qaida.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
Gadhafi gave an interview to BBC and others. Holy shit is the guy delusional. He thinks this is all al-Qaida.

rumborak

He also thinks that all the protesters are under the age of 20 and are heavy drug users.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
Ummm, he's also said that there's been no protests against him :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »
Good thing is that the military is defecting en masse apparently.

rumborak

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2011, 01:50:48 PM »
I have a bad feeling if he doesn't step down and continues his insane reactions...someones gonna pull down the grave.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
I don't understand what his motives are for saying the things he has been. There is no way he truely believes the words that are coming out of his mouth, and there is no way he believes he is loved by the majority of Libya.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
I still can't believe some of you still can't absorb that fact that he's simply crazy and mad with power.
I loved the al-Qaida bit, mofo thinks because he's talking to a western T.V that they'll go "Ah shit you're probably right, you're fighting the good fight then!", Arabic leaders who play used to play the al-Qaida card relying on the help of American right wing fear mongering are almost out of tricks.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:58:32 PM by metty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
A no-fly zone is a bad idea.  If the Italians want to take it on, more power to them.  If we do it, it'll take a huge effort and might well undermine the resistance. 

A much better idea would be to get some good on-the-ground intel, find out which palace Moammar is holed up in, and then hit it with a cruise missile.  Problem solved.  I'm sure some of the rebels would be keen to take credit for blowing him up.  We can deny involvement for quite a while. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
Strangleholds are usually a bad idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
A much better idea would be to get some good on-the-ground intel, find out which palace Moammar is holed up in, and then hit it with a cruise missile.  Problem solved.  I'm sure some of the rebels would be keen to take credit for blowing him up.  We can deny involvement for quite a while. 

I agree with all of this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
A no-fly zone is a bad idea.  If the Italians want to take it on, more power to them. 

Unless I am completely wrong here, this sounds like a terrible idea. Gadhafi is selling this whole thing to the public as an invasion from outside (Western) forces, if the former colonial power that occupied Libya came in, this would only empower Gadhafi because it would confirm his bizarre story.

rumborak

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
A no-fly zone is a bad idea.  If the Italians want to take it on, more power to them. 

Unless I am completely wrong here, this sounds like a terrible idea. Gadhafi is selling this whole thing to the public as an invasion from outside (Western) forces, if the former colonial power that occupied Libya came in, this would only empower Gadhafi because it would confirm his bizarre story.

rumborak

You're right.  I thought the Italians would be a more neutral force to take care of business.  I forgot they were there as recently as WWII.  In that case, I'm not sure who could deal with it.  The only Arab nations with air forces are supplied by us.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
Fuck it, it's officially a Civil War. May the force be with the rebels.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »

rumborak

You're right.  I thought the Italians would be a more neutral force to take care of business.  I forgot they were there as recently as WWII.  In that case, I'm not sure who could deal with it.  The only Arab nations with air forces are supplied by us.   

But given that the Libyan air force hasn't been doing anything, why do we even NEED a no fly zone in the first place?  I could be dead wrong, but it just seems to me that setting up this hypothetical no fly zone is just a way for outside powers to get a foot in the door to try to exert some influence when whatever new power is set up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »
If we set up a no-fly zone that means war.  Because then we have to enforce the no fly zone, and also we have to destroy all of libyas AA
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »

rumborak

But given that the Libyan air force hasn't been doing anything, why do we even NEED a no fly zone in the first place?  I could be dead wrong, but it just seems to me that setting up this hypothetical no fly zone is just a way for outside powers to get a foot in the door to try to exert some influence when whatever new power is set up.

I agree, however I think the mind set is protecting the oil fields. A few bombs have been dropped already, and I can understand the desire to want to keep those fields operational. A lot of people don't even know if the Libyan Air Force is capable of anything. Their equipment has not be regularly used or maintained, they might not even be able to get airborne in the first place.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
I thought the Libyan airforce was attacking rebels and blowing up oil fields. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »
The problem with doing anything is that the rebels lose legitimacy when winning. Ideally they would win on their own accord because then they can say it was solely a Libyan uprising.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2011, 05:05:50 PM »
The problem with doing anything is that the rebels lose legitimacy when winning. Ideally they would win on their own accord because then they can say it was solely a Libyan uprising.

rumborak
Exactly.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »
Fuck it, it's officially a Civil War. May the force be with the rebels.
This. Good luck to the rebels.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
Gaddafi's son is talking to Aljazeera right now (may have been recorded earlier). He is just as crazy as his father.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
 Gaddafi fighter bomber is shot down in Ras Lanuf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12657396

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
The rebels are advancing. Good for them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
Ugh, it sounds this will be a prolonged standoff. I'm surprised at how much support Gadhafi has in the public.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »
Ugh, it sounds this will be a prolonged standoff. I'm surprised at how much support Gadhafi has in the public.

rumborak

I don't think the numbers are anywhere near what is being reported. In the last address to the public that Gaddafi made, the square was completely empty. Literally empty, there was like 11 people there.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
It would have to be corroborated. There is no mention of source at all.

rumborak

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »
The situation's getting trickier.  It's looking more and more like Moammar will tough this thing out, and I'm not sure that's an acceptable option.  The conventional wisdom is that he's the sort of guy that'll have no problem putting people up against the wall by the thousands if he stabilizes the situation.  Nobody wants to intervene now, but will we all feel the same way if he decides to execute 10k insurgents next month?  I think it might be getting to the point where the headache of getting involved will be less troubling than the headache of ignoring it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
What just pisses me off is that the countries that *could* morally intervene, i.e. the other Arab countries, never do anything. It's all about the Western countries, and then they get flak for doing so.

rumborak

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
Someone needs to help the rebels somehow. Letting FuckFace win is not an option, to me at least.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Someone needs to do something.  I think the USA has its hands tied right now.  We are damned if we do or don't at this point.  But what about Canada or Australia.  They have forces that could help out there.  Why don't they step up?  Why does everything have to be about the USA?  People love to shit on us, but at the same time they expect us to do everything.  All the arab countries should step up. 

No one cares about the humanitarian aspect either.  If that were the case, why doesn't China step up to help.  They are supposed to be this huge military power.  Well they can't because they don't give a shit about the humanitarian aspect and helping out would go against their best interests.  Where is Japan in all of this?  Why can't they help?  It really is frustrating.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »
Japan is the one nation I understand. 

However, as has been said, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't so we might as well do it.  It doesn't look like anybody else will, and I think everybody agrees it needs to be done.  The longer we wait, the more people get killed senselessly.  Sarkozi seems ready to start bombing stuff, but I'm not sure how much that'll help.  The rebels seem to only want air suppression, but I'm not sure that's enough, either. 
E.F. Benson