Author Topic: Super Dude: Obama Definitely Isn't Worse Than Bush?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Super Dude: Obama Definitely Isn't Worse Than Bush?
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
By what standard?

And I ask this question for a specific reason.  For some reason P/R discussions seem to come down to these ideas of self-evident human rights that no one agrees on.  I can explain why right now.  Ted and Bob are the only two people left on Earth.  Ted kills Bob.  If Ted's the only person left on Earth, why was killing Bob wrong?  Who's around to tell him that?

This means that all political discussions are basically subjective.  I can propose a logically valid reason why gun ownership is a good thing because it deters potentially violent criminal behavior.  If you think criminal behavior is a good thing, there's probably not a discussion to be had.  Maybe you think this way because you believe criminals are evolutionarily superior, in which case I could try to convince you that criminals are an evolutionary failure because as a class of people they don't adapt well to change.  But most likely your thinking is even more far removed from mine than that.

So how does this relate to Bush and Obama?  At some point, I'm not really even sure how we could debate the question.  What do you value more?  Equality of opportunity or result?  If your answer is the latter, I'm not sure how we could agree on anything.  What do you think the goal of America's foreign policy should be?  While I would say we should treat other countries and people to the same liberties we expect for ourselves, I believe flat out we should be trying to make ourselves more economically and militarily powerful.  If you think the military should only exist for self-defense, I don't see how there's a debate.

The subject line still says this is an Obama vs. Bush debate, so I'll make my brief case.  In terms of social policy, I see it as a wash.  Obama's continued trying to make our civil liberties irrelevant, but Bush got the ball rolling.  Who's worse, the fool or the fool who follows him?  Foreign policy is also hard to tell.  For all the talk of how we're more liked abroad, I'm not really sure we're more respected.  When you give region incompatible DVD's to the British prime minister and make submissive greeting gestures to other foreign leaders, you look like a stupid bitch.  Sorry that wasn't more eloquent.  On the other hand, it took the 2006 election to convince Bush he should actually try to win the Iraq war.  This is so shocking I actually can't mentally process it.*

It's economics where Obama is clearly inferior to me.  Economic policy has two goals.  The first is letting people make consensual business transactions governed by the reality of market forces.  The second is keeping the government running within budget.  The government debt is continuing to balloon at a faster rate than under Bush, and business decision making is more and more regulated by the government.

I wouldn't even be bitter about this except the Obama administration is so clearly dishonest and corrupt.  Government positions are filled by lobbyists and ex-businessmen while Obama claims we need to reduce their power.  Obama spends two years talking about how we need to be less partisan, then spends two years ignoring the Republican Party.**  Every speech Obama gives about business is about how we need to preserve capitalism.  Then he supports and enacts policies that introduce more government intervention into the market.  He says Wall Street needs to create real value instead of inflating numbers, then gives them tons of money so the some corrupt businessmen as before can stay in charge of their companies so they can make illogically high profits that the government defends as legitimate.

I'm sure that depending on what you care about Bush's stupidity impacts you more philosophically and tangibly.  And since that's completely subjective I'm not sure how to debate it.  But is there any philosophical common ground here at all?  Or do we get to see yet another P/R thread where people (including me) type posts full of righteous indignation because we really think our completely subjective opinions should be universal law.

--------

*Seriously think about this.  We had American soldiers dying in Iraq for no reason other than to look like we're staying the course.  In terms of achieving our strategic goals we were failing miserably, and Bush sat around and let it get worse because politically it hadn't hurt him yet.  I find Obama's Afghanistan policy incompetent, but at least he put Petraeus in charge and made some tangible changes without being forced to by an election.

**Someone will inevitably say that the health-care bill was heavily watered down by Republican intervention.  Not quite.  The bill was watered down by democrats from conservative states and districts who didn't want to lose due to passing legislation perceived as being so left of center.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Re: Super Dude: Obama Definitely Isn't Worse Than Bush?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:12:56 AM »
tl;dr

wtf is the internet?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »
As I've said all along, they're both equally worthless presidents, just by differing means.  However, I prefer to blame the man who actually started the collapse rather than the man who merely continues the disastrous policies. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
If Ted kills Bob who cares and they're the only ones left, who cares. They're both doomed to extinction anyway.

If one of them were a girl though, it would be 100% wrong for one to kill the other - morally. They'd have a moral obligation to continue the human race.

Onto the real subject: Bush and Obama are/were both just puppets of Wall Street and the Military industrial complex. Simple.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
This is of course all speculation, but without the two wars started by Bush, at this point inevitably the military budget would have been lowered (which right now is half a trillion dollars per year. Half a trillion dollars.)
That money could have been used on infrastructure and buffering the economic downturn.

Honestly, I find it hard to criticize Obama for not doing wonders with the turd he was handed.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
Lol. Obama has escalated the war in Afghanistan. And he gets a peace prize for it. Yay.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
As I've said all along, they're both equally worthless presidents, just by differing means. 
Yep.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
One point I'd like to comment on

I wouldn't even be bitter about this except the Obama administration is so clearly dishonest and corrupt.  Government positions are filled by lobbyists and ex-businessmen while Obama claims we need to reduce their power.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Obama himself is corrupt or supportive of corruption as much as he was naive and too much of a "dreamer", I believe there are things about the American government that the American president just cannot change, the power of lobbyists are on the top of the list, avoiding them or minimizing their powers is simply impossible, I think that's a fact that most experienced politicians/presidential candidates realize but Obama didn't or thought he'd overcome it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
^Yeah I see Obama more as a naive idealist than anything else.  I don't have any reason to believe that he's particularly dishonest other than my own cynicism based on the track record of politicians in this country.  But you can bet your ass that he's surrounded by two faced liars, both within his administration and without.

-J

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
As I've said all along, they're both equally worthless presidents, just by differing means.  
Yep.

I desperately want to find some reason to disagree with this, but I can't. It's just so... true.

That said, I still find Obama way more palatable than 90 percent of the mainstream Republican opposition, so I'm likely voting for him again unless there's a serious change in policy AND attitude brought up by the other side.

Still, part of me still yearns for that President that could have yanked the plug on the middle east, took all the money we were spending their and allocated it to a real Health-care program and substantial investment in energy research.

Offline j

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
Still, part of me still yearns for that President that could have yanked the plug on the middle east, took all the money we were spending their and allocated it to a real Health-care program and substantial investment in energy research.

Me too.  Sadly, when Jesus does come back, I doubt he'll have any interest in running for president.

-J

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »
Yep.

I desperately want to find some reason to disagree with this, but I can't. It's just so... true.

That said, I still find Obama way more palatable than 90 percent of the mainstream Republican opposition, so I'm likely voting for him again unless there's a serious change in policy AND attitude brought up by the other side.

More palatable how? 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
Have people zoned out at this point how much Bush sucked? I mean, seriously.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »

rumborak
I certainly haven't.  The guy was a daily source of outrage and embarrassment.  However Obama has only had a couple of years.  If the guy makes it 8, we'll probably feel the same about him. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
Yep.

More palatable how? 

Have you been paying attention to anything in the past 3 years?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
More palatable how?  

At this point, I'd easily consider an honest neo-con like Mitt Romney over another neo-con, Barack Obama, especially since I see Mitt as the kind of guy who probably doesn't have some ideological vendetta against things like public health care and education. What I won't stand for are the legions and legions of latently racist conspiracy theorists enlightened by Glenn Beck, who just so happen to share the views of so many people that have so much sway in the party.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
Yep.

More palatable how? 

Have you been paying attention to anything in the past 3 years?
Not really. I mostly play video games and eat licorice. If I have a question I ask my parents; they always have the right answer.

Offline j

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »

rumborak
I certainly haven't.  The guy was a daily source of outrage and embarrassment.  However Obama has only had a couple of years.  If the guy makes it 8, we'll probably feel the same about him. 

I'm not sure about that.  Obama's *persona* isn't nearly as naturally irksome as Bush Jr's.  I maintain that Dubya seemed like a cool guy off the record, but when he spoke as our nation's leader and chief representative on the world stage, I did a lot of cringing.

So while his presidency may turn out to be highly disappointing, like Dubya's, I don't think I'll be as tired of his "schtick".

-J

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 02:42:51 AM »
If Ted kills Bob who cares and they're the only ones left, who cares. They're both doomed to extinction anyway.

If one of them were a girl though, it would be 100% wrong for one to kill the other - morally. They'd have a moral obligation to continue the human race.

Why?  To whom or what do we have an obligation to exist?  God?  Fine, but that's a religious discussion.

Quote from: rumborak
Honestly, I find it hard to criticize Obama for not doing wonders with the turd he was handed.

I don't need him to do wonders.  What I want is for him to make the exact opposite of the right decision every time.  The budget's getting too big and needs to be cut down.  What does he do?  Proposes a budget with no cuts or spending increases, depending on the accounting methods.

^Yeah I see Obama more as a naive idealist than anything else.  I don't have any reason to believe that he's particularly dishonest other than my own cynicism based on the track record of politicians in this country.  But you can bet your ass that he's surrounded by two faced liars, both within his administration and without.

-J

Naivete implies innocence, of which Obama has none.  He's an extremely smart person who showed tons of hustle in his presidential campaign and speaks in a very contrived way rather than genuinely reading and connecting with his audience.  Naive/Innocent people just don't think on this level.  I don't want to imply he's a mastermind, but unlike Bush he actually understands the meaning and implication behind what he's doing.  I don't think he's worried about whether or not he thinks his acctions are right, just whether or not they accomplish his purposes.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:15 AM »
You cannot know that, I feel and pretty certain that it's not that "conspired" but I understand it's fun to think about it that way heh
Naive doesn't have to mean innocent imo, in this case it means "too much self confidence and dreamy imaginations of 180 degree changes", I dunno what personal purposes Obama might be sneaky about, I know the tea baggers think he's out for the destruction of the American white race so he can build a black Reich of some sort because he wrote "white folks" when referring to white people in his book, he also said in the same sentence "black people and Hispanic men" but I guess these guys won't be targeted by his world domination/new world order plans.
The point being that whatever his purposes are; he thinks they're in the best interest of America.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:00:38 AM by metty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:05 AM »
More palatable how?  

At this point, I'd easily consider an honest neo-con like Mitt Romney over another neo-con, Barack Obama, especially since I see Mitt as the kind of guy who probably doesn't have some ideological vendetta against things like public health care and education. What I won't stand for are the legions and legions of latently racist conspiracy theorists enlightened by Glenn Beck, who just so happen to share the views of so many people that have so much sway in the party.

What I liked about Mitt is that his last 3 endeavors into the business world have proven profitable.  He can run a business.  That's what I'd like to see the government do.  Make america profitable again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC