Author Topic: Religious tales vs fairy tales  (Read 5533 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Religious tales vs fairy tales
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
 I think in the face of Buddhism, where resurrection (in a way) is the norm, it's hard to make a claim of originality in terms of Jesus' resurrection. There were many resurrected characters before him, and many after.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »
I think in the face of Buddhism, where resurrection (in a way) is the norm, it's hard to make a claim of originality in terms of Jesus' resurrection. There were many resurrected characters before him, and many after.

rumborak

I don't think it's fair to liken ressurection to reincarnation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »
In any case, the Christian claim isn't that he's the only resurrected person, it's that he is the only founder of any major global religion that is still alive.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »

rumborak

I actually agree with Adami in P/R.

This calls for celebration.

:victorydance:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline j

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
What are you talking about Brother, Adami is a very agreeable chap. :)

-J

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 05:14:23 AM »

rumborak

Why? It is the same thing except the person is now in another form but it IS considered the same person.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 06:58:16 AM »
In any case, the Christian claim isn't that he's the only resurrected person, it's that he is the only founder of any major global religion that is still alive.

Now *that* is a stretch of the definition of "alive".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

Li Hongzhi is still alive. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
Didn't Hercules and various other ancient figures come back from the dead? I've heard Christian people say that Jesus is the only person ever to have come back from death.

What about bigfoot? That potentially precedes all civilisation - I head it was passed down by word of mouth from the first human settlers in north America.
I think that Hercules qualifies as a legend, not a person.  So Jesus would still qualify as the the only person ever to have come back from death.  Besides, Hercules didn't come back from the dead.

Didn't Elijah or Elisha bring a boy back to life? And aren't there a bunch of other examples in the NT?
Yes on Elijah, and "kind of" on the NT.  I was hyperbolizing the comparison between Jesus and Hercules.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.