do you like the producer of images and words

like david prater
39 (28.5%)
don't like david prater
35 (25.5%)
don't care either way
63 (46%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: david prater =/  (Read 109454 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: david prater =/
« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2009, 10:33:33 PM »
Reap, I wasn't saying what I said as a mod, I was saying it as someone who thought Prater certainly approached things the wrong way, and who would like things to come to a productive end.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »
Reap, I wasn't saying what I said as a mod, I was saying it as someone who thought Prater certainly approached things the wrong way, and who would like things to come to a productive end.

I think what he meant was that you sounded a bit judgemental and kind of on a high horse.  I could be wrong, though. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »

I think what he meant was that you sounded a bit judgemental and kind of on a high horse.  I could be wrong, though. 

Fair enough, I was being judgmental, however I think enough was seen to make a judgment on the situation. I certainly will not claim to have been through more in life than Mr. Prater, however that does not exclude me from making a correct judgmental opinion on the situation. I would think a lot of people would agree that if Mr. Prater followed my advice here, that everyone would benefit.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
I disagree.  This goes back to what I said pages ago:  we'll never know.  So, arguing about it is really stupid and being judgemental is even more stupid.  I mean no offense to you, Nick, but the thing is.... you might think Prater's behavior was uncalled for in this thread, but none of us know a) if it even really WAS him and b) the circumstances between him and DT.  To be judgemental about stuff we don't know isn't fair.  I think we should all just lay off the entire situation.  In fact, I think this thread should just be locked entirely - and I NEVER say that.  Just my opinion.  It's a useless discussion now. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »
I dunno.  I don't really disagree with Nick.  I mean, yeah, it's kinda silly and pointless to tell somewhat what they "should" do.  But the sentiment expressed is not very different from what a few others in the thread have expressed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
I agree with Nick as well. Prater, or whoever it is, is addressing us in a way that's cowardly and obviously dishonest. I'd also like to see this poster step into the light; but by doing so Prater would probably lose any chance of being taken seriously. I think it's pretty clear, at this point, that it was never havona's intention to simply provide an unheard side of the story here; that side of the story is well documented in Wilson's book and even before havona's entrance it was clear that most fans like Prater's work. Rather, I interpret this whole thing as a backfired attempt to turn some fans against Portnoy. That's really too bad. Now that the lid has been blown off, stepping forward and saying "Yes, I am havona" is probably the worst thing Prater could do. Better to just let it go and let people forget about it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
 :lol

So you pretty much just made a suggestion then explained why it isn't a very good suggestion.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2009, 11:23:56 PM »
:lol

So you pretty much just made a suggestion then explained why it isn't a very good suggestion.

Pretty much. I stated what I thought was the wrong thing to do, but by the time I was halfway done my post I figured it was probably better for Prater to disappear from the forum rather than reveal himself; if not for anything but to keep him from further damaging his reputation.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2009, 04:29:08 AM »
This has turned into the Twilight Zone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2009, 06:44:29 AM »
I mean I dunno, I can understand why after 17 years Prater would turn up in this thread and start giving his side of the story.  I mean think about it, all this time all we've had to go on is MP's side of the story, and Prater's reputation and character as far as we know has been as MP says.  So after 17 years of MP talking shit of him, I can understand him wanting to come here and set the record straight.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »
I'm sure all of us would have appreciated Prater coming here and giving his opinion on the matter. People here would have been very receptive of hearing his side of the story.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2009, 06:56:11 AM »
Maybe this wasn't the best means by which he could've cleared his record.  But the motivation at least is easy to sympathize with.  Not to mention I could see why he might've chosen his means; if you were about to post on a board whose users have been encouraged basically to hate you, would you wanna show your face and come out as Prater?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2009, 07:06:58 AM »
Well reading through the thread he's not all that hated. Anyone who thinks Prater is hated because Portnoy said so isn't reading the thread (except maybe the OP ironically :lol ). But thinking he could get away with posing as someone else is an insult to the fans on this forum. It actually would have been better if he'd left it alone. The thread was dead anyway. But I can understand his need to have his say, and he's always free to do so.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:46 AM »
For certain, any ego is going to feel a certain amount of angst when he comes across a poll that asks whether he is hated or not.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »
I'd be upset about it too. And I'd also want to defend myself about it. If he'd come in here as Prater, it'd be fine.

Offline JonesyAZ

« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2009, 07:51:24 AM »
Wow, this thread has certainly been interesting!  It's great to see so many different opinions...AND...it would be wonderful to find out if havona really is Prater.  Seems likely :)  My props to havona, if it really was Prater; i'm of the opinion that we would welcome his presence here.

In regards to his productions, namely on Images and Words, I really like it.  Granted, the triggered snare may not have been the perfect choice, but when you compare David's production on the original album to the remixes on the "Greatest Hits" for example, the original destroys them.  What honestly keeps me coming back to Images and Words is that it has a depth of sound that is unique, and a character that is equally unique and inviting.  I love the mix of guitar and keyboards on that record.  And "ACOS" is perfect in my "ears" :)

Anyways, not that I needed to give my opinion on the production...lol...but again, this thread has been cool to read and to ponder.
Sometimes I feel like I’m a super model.

But then I realize that I possess none of their qualities. Plus I have no mutant powers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »
I'm sure all of us would have appreciated Prater coming here and giving his opinion on the matter. People here would have been very receptive of hearing his side of the story.

This.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure we all would have been.  It's just when you see a poll asking in very strict language whether or not Prater is hated, how encouraging is that for him?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
Super Dude, stop being so damn rational. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »
Super Dude, stop being so damn rational. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
Super Dude, stop being so damn sexy. 
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »
Super Dude...sexy?  :omg:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Super Dude...sexy?  :omg:
He's definitely Jewish.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
Thing is, if he had posted and admitted to being Prater, would we have believed him? :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »
Well we would have believed it a lot more than the story he gave us.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »
Thing is, if he had posted and admitted to being Prater, would we have believed him? :P

As this thread already proved, it can be verified.  And we verified that Charlie is Charlie and that *snip* so, yeah.  And he could have contacted me or one of the mods and said who he was and that he felt he needed to clear the air on a few things.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »

As this thread already proved, it can be verified.  And we verified that Charlie is Charlie and that *snip* so, yeah.  And he could have contacted me or one of the mods and said who he was and that he felt he needed to clear the air on a few things.

?que?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
Whoever TempusVox is, I'd be willing to believe that the mods actually verified it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
Most things are very milkshakingly verified, believe you me.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
Ok seriously, I'd like to know what milkshake is code for

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
Change your filter settings in your profile and the answer will be revealed.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #276 on: June 09, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »
I missed everything... :justjen
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #277 on: June 09, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
The songs on Prater's myspace are really good actually lol!

I personally love I&W and ACOS.
I think Awake and FII is sonically better though!

Hey if you are Prater.. Would you mind producing my bands first album??
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #279 on: June 09, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »
Change your filter settings in your profile and the answer will be revealed.

You mean "leave words uncensored?"  Because that definitely doesn't translate it.