do you like the producer of images and words

like david prater
39 (28.5%)
don't like david prater
35 (25.5%)
don't care either way
63 (46%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: david prater =/  (Read 111710 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: david prater =/
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
Everyone else is NOT doing it.  Some of the new cds I have gotten this year sound terrific, and do not sound compressed or too loud at all. 

Oddly enough- though I do love Porcupine Tree- I feel just as "tired" by the time I get to Wedding Nails as I do listening to any louder albums.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
I do hate the loudness war personally, and I wish DT wouldn't compress the hell out of their albums.  However, it's true that pretty much everyone else is doing it as well.   

Everyone else is NOT doing it.  Some of the new cds I have gotten this year sound terrific, and do not sound compressed or too loud at all. 

I don't know whether you count U2's No Line On The Horizon into the "list of exceptions" so to speak, but some songs sound awfully compressed on there.

And I'm really interested how BCASL will sound. I hope for a wide dynamic range and a secure space for each instrument.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »
I do hate the loudness war personally, and I wish DT wouldn't compress the hell out of their albums.  However, it's true that pretty much everyone else is doing it as well.   

I don't know whether you count U2's No Line On The Horizon into the "list of exceptions" so to speak, but some songs sound awfully compressed on there.

I do not.  That's a good record, but it definitely suffers from too much compression at times.

One example of what I am talking about it is the new Dave Matthews Band record.  It sounds fantastic.  Everything is crystal clear, and there is plenty of room for all of the instruments to breathe; the drums, in particular, sound out of this world great.

The new Devin Townsend and OSI records also sound terrific.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
I'm very interested in how the new Maiden album is going to sound. I get the feeling that the no-mastering direction they've chosen was and is received very well, so I can see them carrying on this way in that matter.

Mentlegen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »
I'm very interested in how the new Maiden album is going to sound. I get the feeling that the no-mastering direction they've chosen was and is received very well, so I can see them carrying on this way in that matter.

Not mastered? I'd love to hear that. I've always wondered if a well mixed album really even needs mastering, since it's mostly just compressing the life out of it now. And hearing Death Magnetic what I assume is unmastered from GH3 sounds great, even if it is a bit raw. But it sure sounds a crapload better than the shit they put on the CD.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
A Matter Of Life And Death sounds a little bit raw, but otherwise, it's a very great sounding album (especially after the sonic abomination called Dance Of Death). Kind of proof that mastering isn't always necessary.

Mentlegen.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
A Matter Of Life And Death sounds a little bit raw, but otherwise, it's a very great sounding album (especially after the sonic abomination called Dance Of Death). Kind of proof that mastering isn't always necessary.

Dance of Death sounds better than A Matter of Life and Death, no question in my opinion.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
:| The only Maiden album sounding as bad as DoD is Virtual XI. Dammit, the sound of that album pisses me off.

Mentlegen.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »
It's a pity Dance of Death had much better songs than A Matter Of Life And Death :neverusethis:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
Well glad the new album will ( ;) ) sound a lot better in that regard then.

Damn you and your ability to travel through time and listen to albums that will be out in the future!  DAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!!!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #220 on: June 07, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
My very late .02.

First - Mr. Prater, coming up with a fake ID and posting stuff like you are someone else to hide your identity is just as childish as anything you complained about regarding Mike Portnoy.  All you did by posting what you did (and people then finding out it was you) was look like an immature, unprofessional and bitter record producer.  There are better and more honest ways to give your opinion.

Second - I never thought it was a big deal (the triggered stuff) anyway.  I've listened to I&W countless times both before and after I found out what "triggering" a snare drum sound was, and frankly, the bottom line to me is, the record sounds good.

Third - The issue in question happened 17 years ago.  both Mike Portnoy and David Prater should act like adults and pick up the telephone, or go have dinner and bury the hatchet.  Once done, announce it.  Then the fans that pick on this issue to kiss MP's ass will die down, because their hero washed his hands of the issue.

The above solves the issues.

:corn
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »
Well glad the new album will ( ;) ) sound a lot better in that regard then.

I wouldn't say that. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
Then you'd be wrong.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
Then you'd be wrong.

Well, an opinion is never wrong, just subjective.  :)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »
Unless it's something that can be objectively measured, like compression on a waveform ;)

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2009, 10:03:47 PM »
Unless it's something that can be objectively measured, like compression on a waveform ;)

No, human beings have ears.  Nothing beats having those things.  :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:21 PM »
Well we're talking about mastering compression, so it is something that can easily be measured. And my ears tell me it sounds fantastic. That's all the opinion and fact I need on the matter :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »
their hero washed his hands of the issue.

And when exactly has that ever happened?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
And my ears tell me it sounds fantastic. That's all the opinion and fact I need on the matter :)

Okay.  And, I wish you the best of luck with that.  :)

Offline walmartsecurity

« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2009, 10:53:31 PM »
Maybe Prater wouldn't have been so easily found out if his username wasn't in is myspace profile.

David Prater general info:
Sounds Like - Havona

If you're going to create a fake identification just to *cough* "heal" your reputation, on a fan forum no less, make sure you cover up your tracks xD

Honestly though, a well known producer such as yourself doesn't need to reduce himself to hiding behind an alter-ego and trying to tell his side of the story to the fans from a "3rd party" point of view. If you were honest, you wouldn't have lost as much credibility as you have over the last few pages..

That's like an immature kid making a new account just to back his main accounts point in a discussion, it's just childish.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: June 07, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »
And my ears tell me it sounds fantastic. That's all the opinion and fact I need on the matter :)

Okay.  And, I wish you the best of luck with that.  :)

No luck involved :)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
Nevertheless, it must be stated that without my involvement, the songs as the public has come to know them wouldn't exist. Including all the songs featured on this page, I've literally produced, engineered, mixed and performed on more records than I can remember.

wow, from the way he talks about himself on his myspace, he is a total dick.  I actually felt bad for him for a moment because he created an account just because he was getting talked about.  And I feel if I was in the situation, I would be sad.  So I actually felt bad for the man.  But now that i read this, it makes it a lot easier to not like him.  I am not attacking him, I mean, ou could take it that way, but I am just saying how I feel based on his myspace bio.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:38 PM »
Why do you guys care? He hasn't posted in a few days.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »
Nor will he ever again because of the way people have treated him in this thread. 

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »
Why do you guys care? He hasn't posted in a few days.
Because after re-reading the thread I started to feel bad for him.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
Nor will he ever again because of the way people have treated him in this thread. 

Really? I mean really?

The man created an account, pretended to be an important, but unbiased third party in order to throw insults at Mike Portnoy (which any of us could have banned him for, if we wished), and play up himself as the second coming of Jesus.

Say what you will about Prater's musical abilities, his "contributions" to this thread have shown him to be untrustworthy, deceitful, and venomous at best.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
Venomous.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
Granted I do find it odd that someone still has that particular attitude towards something that happened 17 years ago I don't disapprove of Prater speaking his mind unedited after us talking about him for quite some time. I'm just glad we have the other side of the argument in the same manner Portnoy usually speaks about people like Prater, granted I haven't read Lifting Shadows so I dunno about any of the interviews that went on. That being said he really could've picked a better manner of doing it but I'm not gonna care enough to pretend I pity the man.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
Really? I mean really?

The man created an account, pretended to be an important, but unbiased third party in order to throw insults at Mike Portnoy (which any of us could have banned him for, if we wished), and play up himself as the second coming of Jesus.

Say what you will about Prater's musical abilities, his "contributions" to this thread have shown him to be untrustworthy, deceitful, and venomous at best.

Yes, really.  Say what you want about him, but he IS responsible for making Images & Words and, for that alone, he deserves our respect in my opinion. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: June 08, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
I cant believe he actually posted in this thread.  The internet has been good to us.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
Really? I mean really?

Yes, really.  Say what you want about him, but he IS responsible for making Images & Words and, for that alone, he deserves our respect in my opinion.  

Yes, he had my respect for, in the most part, making Images and ACoS sound as amazing as they are. Then by his actions in this thread he lost my respect.

Also, I find it humorous how some people think we owe this man so much for producing two albums, but so many of those some people will not show that same courtesy to members of the band that have contributed to every album.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Really? I mean really?

Yes, really.  Say what you want about him, but he IS responsible for making Images & Words and, for that alone, he deserves our respect in my opinion. 
yes, because according to him...  Images and words and many other albums for various bands would not have never happened if it weren't for him.   :\
www.bedeceived.com

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
Certain elements wouldn't have, definitely. Two distinct instances where he helped albums was (1) the solo at 7:10 in Learning To Live which Petrucci wanted to scrap because he didn't like it but Prater made him keep it in and it's one of the best parts of the song/album and (2) the Another World solo in ACOS which Petrucci thought was not technical enough but Prater made him keep it in and it's one of my favorite parts of that song.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »
I want to clarify, I personally don't like the triggered snare on Images and Words, but otherwise I think that album, and A Change of Seasons are phenomenal sounding recordings. However, that is now an oft discussed side issue in what has become an abysmal showing of personal antics on the part of Mr. Prater.

I would ask Mr. Prater, if he continues to read this thread, to stop stroking his ego, fully admit his identity, confessing to his unreasonable and unnecessary deceit, and then discuss this matter in an open and fair environment.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »
I want to clarify, I personally don't like the triggered snare on Images and Words, but otherwise I think that album, and A Change of Seasons are phenomenal sounding recordings. However, that is now an oft discussed side issue in what has become an abysmal showing of personal antics on the part of Mr. Prater.

I would ask Mr. Prater, if he continues to read this thread, to stop stroking his ego, fully admit his identity, confessing to his unreasonable and unnecessary deceit, and then discuss this matter in an open and fair environment.

I hate to say this to a mod, but seriously, you sound like a politician trying to parent someone who's older and has done way more with his life than him. I'm not even saying Prater didn't pull a dick move, but just say it. There's no reason to act like it's imperative everyone who posts or has posted at this board read what you wrote, lest their moral centers be corrupted until the end of time.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again