Author Topic: Crazy new musical opportunity  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Crazy new musical opportunity
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
So I get an email from this guy I know who happens to be a writer.  He belongs to a local writer's guild, and one of the other writers is a playwright who needs some musical arrangements done for her new play.  He remembers the arrangements I've done in church, including horns, bass, guitar, and vocals, so he sent me her contact information, and I called her today.

She doesn't actually know much about music, but writes musicals.  The songs are these melodies she comes up with in her head.  She sings them, then a professional composer/arranger figures out what the chords would be to make it sound good, and writes up some charts.  Apparently it works because she's been doing this for 12 years and this is like her fifth musical.  I've actually had to do this a few times, but nothing more formal than "it's just for church, just make it sound good" and definitely never for money.  Just come up with something to play on the piano while people sing, but people always say it sounds great, and I figure if I can do it on the fly, I can write something down.

She's gonna send me an .mp3 of her singing one of the songs, I'll cook something up, and send her an .mp3 of the finished product.  If she likes it, she'll pay me $100 and have me do the other three songs, also for $100 each.  It's only the four songs, for a "showcase" (whatever that is), but I think I can actually do this, and it might even open the door for more paying work in the future.  Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: Crazy new musical opportunity
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
I'm not being sarcastic when I say "cool story, bro."

That is actually a pretty cool story.  Best of luck.  :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:00:28 AM »
Thats awesome man!  If that woman would just learn how to play piano she could save herself a lot of money :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
I thought the same thing.  But she's an older lady, a retired psychotherapist, who has found something like a second career.  Or at least a hobby that pays.  I don't think she even wants to learn anything new at this point.  She said a few times during our conversation that she can't read or write music, but loves music and loves writing songs.

At first that didn't make much sense to me, but that's probably because all of it comes completely natural to me.  I forget sometimes that there are people with one aptitude but not the other.  There are singers who can't read, musicians who can't compose to save their lives, and every other variation.  Here we have a woman who writes musicals, but don't actually "understand" music.  That's why this is all so crazy.  But sounds like fun.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »
I thought the same thing.  But she's an older lady, a retired psychotherapist, who has found something like a second career.  Or at least a hobby that pays.  I don't think she even wants to learn anything new at this point.  She said a few times during our conversation that she can't read or write music, but loves music and loves writing songs.

That makes sense. I love music, but honestly things like that don't really come "natural" to me. I'm studying music and I'm playing in a band, so I'm kinda forcing myself to get better at it, but I can tell that it isn't a natural gift for me. Some people are just born to write and play music, which is awesome, but it certainly isn't something everyone can be great at, even if they have the passion for it.

Anyways, that's really awesome, keep us updated on how it goes!  :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
Wow! Sounds like a great opportunity, Orbert.

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Go for it! Can't hurt you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »
Got an email from her yesterday, and could see before opening it that there were no attachments, so I was expecting bad news.  I was right.

She has changed her mind.  She now feels that her songs really need the aid of a "composer" and is hesitant to have me do it because I'm not a composer.  I honestly think she's making a mistake, because I really do think I have the skills to take a melody and cook up a full accompaniment (come on, it's not that hard), but she seems to think that she can do better than that for $100 flat rate.  Then she went on to say that she's a little worried because she doesn't know if she can find a composer willing to do it on such a tight schedule.  The showcase is next month.

Great.  If she's so worried, why not just have me do it?  I'd've had it done by this weekend.

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
Tell her. NAO

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:44:55 PM »
I did.  I replied that I was disappointed, but if her search for a composer doesn't pan out, or if she in any other way needs my musical services, I would still love to do it.

But I'm not a professional composer, so obviously I can't do something like figure out the musical setting of a song based on its melody.

In her defense, she was very apologetic about wasting my time and getting my hopes up, and hopes that we might still work together in the future.  It was all very weird.  But whatever.

It's not even about the money.  I was looking forward to the musical challenge.

Offline jsem

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
Tell her you'll do it for free, and if she likes you she might pay you in the future?

maybe... just a thought

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »
I thought about that, but I don't know.  I would love to do it, but I don't want to just do it to do it, especially if she ends up hooking up with some composer anyway.  I'd've had my fun, but then my work would never be used, and that's a depressing thought.

Or she does like but doesn't pay me anyway.  I have no reason to believe that would happen, but there's always a danger in entering a business relationship without everything spelled out ahead of time.  I've sought the advice of a friend of mine who's done actual composing and recording locally, to see what he can tell me.  I haven't heard back yet (which honestly is a little irritating, but he's a busy guy and there is no longer a time constraint here).

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
I have had things like that happen, too.  It sucks, but it's part of the business. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?