Author Topic: Faith used as reason not to wrestle girl  (Read 3544 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Faith used as reason not to wrestle girl
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:07:42 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/17/ap/national/main20032901.shtml

Is this really spelled out in his faith that he cant do this?  Or is it twisting his faith as an excuse to get out of wrestling the girl, and perhaps avoiding embarrasement if losing?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Faith used as reason not to wrestle girl
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:27:23 AM »
If she got to the championship than clearly he wouldn't have much to be embarrassed about.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
What faith spells out that something like this is not allowed?

"Jamie Northrup is a minister in the Believers in Grace Fellowship, an independent Pentecostal church in Marion that believes young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," said Bill Randles, the church's pastor."

Is there anyone familiar with this type of church, and where in their doctrines does it say this?

"We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do."

What does this have to do with religion?  Isnt wrestling her in this situation, which is what she wants, and has worked so hard for, and is her choice, showing her respect and elevating her?  I just hope that this kid wasnt pressured into making this decision, wether subtle or not-so-subtle, for someone elses agenda.

Thoughts?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
Wow.  Lot's of respect for this kid.  Good for him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »
I always refuse to play goalie against good hockey teams in order to spare them the embarrassment of a potential upset loss.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
There was just a segment on a local news channel yesterday about a girl who wrestles. She hates that so many guys will refuse to wrestle her and forfeit. I understand that position, but I also understand that the guys are put in an awkward position as well. (Literally, if they wrestle her)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:19:53 AM »
This is an interesting concept.  I don't blame the kid for not wrestling the girl if he did not feel comfortable doing so.  I definitely don't think he was afraid to do it.  It's like, if he wins then everyone is going to say "oh you beat a girl how does that make you feel?  big man huh?"  and if he loses its " you wimp you just got your ass beat by a girl".  So its a weird position to be in I suppose.

When I played hockey I always had girls on my team.  Sometimes the other teams would have girls on them as well.  It was interesting because they are out there on the ice and are subject to everything the game entails.  Including getting checked.  But whenever a girl got hit on the ice, the team that the girl is on would rage.  They would go out and head hunt the guy that hit the girl.  It does create weird situations.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
This is an interesting concept.  I don't blame the kid for not wrestling the girl if he did not feel comfortable doing so.  I definitely don't think he was afraid to do it.  It's like, if he wins then everyone is going to say "oh you beat a girl how does that make you feel?  big man huh?"  and if he loses its " you wimp you just got your ass beat by a girl".  So its a weird position to be in I suppose.

When I played hockey I always had girls on my team.  Sometimes the other teams would have girls on them as well.  It was interesting because they are out there on the ice and are subject to everything the game entails.  Including getting checked.  But whenever a girl got hit on the ice, the team that the girl is on would rage.  They would go out and head hunt the guy that hit the girl.  It does create weird situations.

It's not just that.  If you've ever watched wrestling.  They pretty much are all over each other.  I think it would be hard to do because I'd be thinking stuff like, "did I just tough her boob?"
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
I would have forfeited too, and it has nothing to do with faith or fear of losing.  Anybody who's ever played a co-ed sport, even casually, whether it's basketball, volleyball, hockey, etc., knows that you just don't go 100% against girls.  It's an unwritten rule.  Of course usually, they don't want you to take it easy on them, but it doesn't matter.  If you don't feel comfortable and can't compete at the highest level you're capable of, then it's better not to compete at all.

Even if the girl is really good and you suck, you're still a physically superior and fundamentally different male, and even if she doesn't get hurt, the competition is on uneven ground from the outset.

Is it sexist?  Maybe so, but I've been known to be a little bit sexist when it's called for.  It just doesn't make sense for guys and girls to compete against each other in sports unless it's just for fun/recreation.

-J

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
I believe it's more of the fear of molesting the girl that causes these forfeits.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »
Well I was raised to never hit a girl.  And so when I'm a defenseman in hockey my job is to obliterate people coming across the blue line at me.  When this person is a girl, it creates a conflict.  I can't just level the girl down.  It just doesn't feel right.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
If the girl is in the competition, she clearly knows what she's in for. I find the guy's excuse rather petty tbh.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
But his own reasoning was that he didn't feel morally right being all over a girl.  If that's how he feels, that's how he feels.  I don't think its really a sexist thing, I think its just a personal belief thing on the kid's part.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
Maybe. It is just my personal opinion that there is nothing inherently sexual or immoral about touching a girl, just as it isn't when you touch a guy. It's the intent that matters, and during wrestling there is no intent.

rumborak

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »
Maybe. It is just my personal opinion that there is nothing inherently sexual or immoral about touching a girl, just as it isn't when you touch a guy. It's the intent that matters, and during wrestling there is no intent.

rumborak

I share the same personal belief as you in that regard.  I think the kid feels differently.  Although I still never wanted to level chicks on the ice, and I think that is definitely a social construct.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
He probably knew he'd get a hard on if he wrestled her.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline j

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »

Hey, I wouldn't be so sure.  This chick is a wrestler, remember?

-J

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 02:33:00 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/17/ap/national/main20032901.shtml

Is this really spelled out in his faith that he cant do this?  Or is it twisting his faith as an excuse to get out of wrestling the girl, and perhaps avoiding embarrasement if losing?
It's an independent Pentecostal church, so who knows what is spelled out in his faith. 

I don't see any Biblical reason not to wrestle the chick, but if it was his conviction that it was somehow wrong, then he did the right thing by refusing.  I just don't know why he had such a conviction in the first place.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »
She doesn't look so tough.

The kid's FB wall is getting blown up.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joel-Northrup/185118994860675

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 05:51:33 AM »
I sparred a girl once at a martial arts tournament, I did go easy on her, not because she was a girl. I went easy on her because whomever the idiots where that setup the match put me against a girl about 4 or 5 years younger. This wouldn't be so bad now as I am 25, but then I was 16 or 17. It was bullshit, I was a yellow belt and they just lumped us all together and they would give me penalties for striking to hard.

I can understand the kids position to a degree, had the girl I faced been at my level age wise, it would have been just another match though. This chick looks of the appropriate age and looks like she can take care of herself, I call pansy bitch on the guy. I really don't think it was his faith to be honest. If it was, he just gave up on an opportunity because of in my opinion a ridiculous belief.       

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »
Wow.  Lot's of respect for this kid.  Good for him.
:tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »

Regulars here all know I'm a perv, so this isn't anything shocking, but that was my first thought.  If I'm involved in something physical with a female, where the object is to use force and strength to get her on her back (or front), with myself in a superior position, my body is already going "Yeah, we know what this is about" and there will be certain autonomic physiological responses.  Best to just avoid the situation entirely.

Offline j

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
*snip*

If I'm involved in something physical with a female, where the object is to use force and strength to get her on her back (or front), with myself in a superior position, my body is already going "Yeah, we know what this is about" and there will be certain autonomic physiological responses.

These both made me  :lol.

-J