Author Topic: Acoustic Guitars  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Elsydeon

Acoustic Guitars
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:15 AM »
Hello, I'm thinking about selling my electric 7 string guitar and my multiple effects pedalboard to invest in a really decent 6 string acoustic guitar.
The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about acoustic guitars. Can anyone point me in the right direction, what companies to look out for and such? I'm estimating to be getting about $1,000 from selling the guitar and board, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
Re: Acoustic Guitars
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »
My dad has a babicz, i would highly recommend it, its really comfortable and easy to play, sounds amazing, and it has this steinberger designed neck pocket that lets you raise and lower the action without messing with the truss or intonation, and usually dosent even affect the tuning.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:39:40 AM »

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »
I have a $450 dollar Takamine Classical and it suits me just fine. It's also got a built-in tuner  :tup

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »
Takemine make really lovely guitars.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
I'm leaning toward a takamine at the moment. Is there a difference in sound with cutaway body types? Or is that just for show

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
This is the acoustic the lead singer/guitarist has in my band...I highly suggest saving a bit more and getting one of these.https://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Electric/300/314ce/ One the nicest acoustic's I've played and they sound shit hot aswell.  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:37:39 AM by jonny108 »

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:00:33 AM »
That does look really nice, but I think my budget caps at 1500

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:10:20 AM »
I'm leaning toward a takamine at the moment. Is there a difference in sound with cutaway body types? Or is that just for show

It's for fret access :P

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »

It's for fret access :P
Oh that makes sense  :lol, I dont think I would ever really need to go that far down the neck though

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
I'm a sucker for Taylor's. I have 3 currently and couldn't be happier, go out and play some of them, they really are wonderful instruments.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
I ran into my old guitar teacher today at work, he said he got a couple really nice acoustics in at his music shop. I'm going to go down on Tuesday and play around on some of them

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
I'm more of a Martin guy, but the Taylors are awesome also. Two different worlds though.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
I spent two days in a massive guitar shop trying out every acoustic there when I was buying mine.  :lol I eventually went with a Taylor, as they just edged out Martins as my favourite there, but it comes down to preference at that level.

Offline rmp0012002

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
I purchased a Seagull S6 and cannot complain, thinking about getting the 12 string version.  Takamine/Jasmine is also good brand.  I got a Ibanez package for $100 and for the cheap price it was a great playing guitar.  It depends on how your going to use it. Just noodling around, recording or playing out?   

Offline jfwund

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
Takamine was my first guitar, and they make some really solid instruments. You won't go wrong there.

That said, I just (Christmas 2010) bought a new Taylor 414ce and it is the bee's knees.  :hat  Easily the nicest guitar I own, and perhaps oddly, it feels very similar to my Les Paul.

If you can afford it, Taylor's the way to go. Can you save for a month or two extra for the 314 or 414? Mine was $1800, and Guitar Center (I know, I know) usually has the 314 for $1650.

If not, the 214 or 210 are decent choices, but laminate back and sides instead of all solid wood.
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane