Author Topic: The King's X Thread  (Read 12960 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The King's X Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
Did HE interview the band or was this taken from other various historical interviews and compiled for the book? I guess what I'm asking is are these new interviews from the last several years or so or is it kind of a summarized compendium spanning the life of the band?

He did the interviews and they seem to be very recent. The band tries to remember the making of every single song, for example - which is interesting sometimes, and sometimes not so much.  ;)
Various musicians, like Mike Portnoy, are also interviewed.
I'm almost done with the book, and it makes me wanna listen to all of their stuff again. I like it.

I might get this.

I think I'm more interested in his Islanders book before I get to this one.

Sorry I missed your question earlier. What ibb said was entirely correct. I enjoyed the book. It sucked that Sam Taylor's perspective wasn't given, but if you read the book, you see how bitter the band is about Sam. Doug and Ty in particular. If their side of the story is correct (and I have no reason to think it isn't), I don't blame them for being angry.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 09:08:02 AM »
I'm almost done with the book. Very nice read. Interesting to hear the band talk about ALL of their songs.

Sam didn't want to be interviewed for the book (which is a shame) but it's understandable why he didn't. A of of shady business things going with him and King's X.
Even John Myung makes a few appearances.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
Wow, just got informed that they will play Germany (and maybe get lost again? ;) ) in September. What a perfect timing.  :hefdaddy
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
Wow, just got informed that they will play Germany (and maybe get lost again? ;) ) in September. What a perfect timing.  :hefdaddy

I see what you did there.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
Finished the book. It was a great read. Everybody was very open and honest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
Finished the book. It was a great read. Everybody was very open and honest.

Anything new about my earlier question?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
The book addresses the Wilde Silas situation. Wikde Silas was another Sam Taylor company and that they used for videos. They were sued when King’s X requested to see the financial books of Sam Taylor. The song Mr. Wilson talks about that. A lot of money was going into Wilde Silas and that’s when the band noticed the money issues. But that’s about it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
 :omg: King's X have already recorded 17 songs and will likely release a double-vinyl album this fall:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kings-x-guitarist-says-group-has-recorded-17-new-songs-for-its-forthcoming-album/

!!!!!! :metal
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
Hoping to hear a few new songs Saturday night in NH!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
Jerry has heart issues again.

http://bravewords.com/news/king-s-x-drummer-jerry-gaskill-to-undergo-heart-procedures-2019-tour-dates-canceled

King’s X have issued the following message to their fans...

"On October 14th, during a recent check-up with his Cardiologist, Jerry Gaskill was informed that he had some issues with his heart that needed to be addressed and as a result, he will need to have some procedures to help rectify these issues. Jerry is feeling positive and is looking toward the future, he wanted to make sure that his feelings were truly expressed, on how awful he feels about having this happen. He and the band were looking forward to playing these upcoming shows, especially knowing that they were selling out. Jerry is determined as always to do whatever he can to get back out and see all of the fans, and as his focus is turned inward we all ask that you keep FAITH HOPE AND LOVE during this process."

Says Jerry: “It is with great sadness and sorrow that we must cancel and reschedule these upcoming shows. I thought of every possible way that I could actually get out there and do this. I was very much looking forward to it. But I realized in the end that it just would not be wise. Yet, I am determined once again to come back and be better than ever. Thanks for all the love and understanding."

King’s X representatives add: "On behalf of King’s X, It is with humbled sadness, that we must announce, that ALL upcoming King’s X shows for 2019 will be canceled, to allow for Jerry to fully recover after his operation. The band and Jerry ask that you respect his privacy at this time and please allow for him to recover with peace of mind that he will be back upon the rock’n roll throne once again."

King’s X and its representatives have rescheduled these dates for April 2020:

April
16 - TBA
17 - Hazard, KY - City of Hazard Hal Rogers Center
19 - Nashville, TN - The Basement East
23 - Austin, TX - Come and Take It Live
24 - Dallas, TX - Canton Hall
25 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2019, 02:16:22 AM »
That sucks, hope Jerry will be well and that he can come back.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Wow. Health comes first.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Thoughts and best wishes to Jerry G. on a swift recovery. I know the new KX record is done, so hopefully he can rest up, get everything healed, and then get everything moving next year.

I remember when he had his first heart attack. I had tickets to like four shows in six days doing a local string of tiny clubs here in NorCal. Always bummed I never got to do that crazy staycation/roadtrip, but thankfully Jerry got well, and I've been able to see them a few times over the past years.

One of the best bands ever.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2021, 10:18:51 PM »

Online HOF

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2021, 10:22:24 PM »
bump.

not new, but this Choir arrangement of "The Difference"  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCaZFyx0-M&fbclid=IwAR3YtiFQ9tK2OXyt9ym6fpn_SPgyObsqsB8-RArLYSAtbJtgNz4kp9woBEg

Have seen that before. Very cool.

Wonder if they’ll ever finish the new album they started in like 2019. (Now I read the above posts and see that Jerry’s heart problems are probably to blame for the album not getting done, and I imagine COVID also might have kept things from happening).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:31:29 PM by HOF »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2021, 04:49:55 AM »
They are wrapping up the album. Dug shared a pic no so long ago where they were mixing it I believe.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
bump.

no info really on the new album (other than the title is "subject to change"), or even the documentary.

but this is worth a laugh and a happy 60th to Ty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXjEGLv6lxI

Offline Deathless

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »
First track from the new album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUrrCB_Ulo

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2022, 10:13:12 AM »
Pre-ordered the album on Amazon!

The first single is...okay.

I love King's X. I discovered them late, with Ear Candy. I don't know why, just never knew of them until then. I remember being at the tail end of the Columbia House thing back in the day, and me wanting to check them out, and Ear Candy was available, so I got it. Loved it immediately. I saw them for the first time six years later or so, at Jones Beach, opening for DT and Joe Satriani. It was their performance of "Cigarettes" from Dogman that just spurred me to find out more. I bought the Greatest Hits and enjoyed it. My wife had Tape Head, and I liked that too. A couple of years later, they were on tour for Black Like Sunday, and played this tiny club in San Francisco called the DNA Lounge. The did a 2.5-hour headline set that absolutely floored me. I went out the next day and bought the entire catalog and have been a hardcore ever since.

So I say all that history as context to say this: I just haven't been impressed with their material post-Tape Head. I don't know what it is, but everything new they've done since that record -- it's okay. They've never made a terrible album. I would never say that. At the minimum, they are well written songs that are enjoyable to listen to. But I haven't been blown away by KX in a long time. And "Let it Rain" continues that. Good tune. Liked Ty's solo. Hoping the rest are more dynamic and blow me away.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline T-ski

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2022, 08:44:32 AM »
Is there a way to combine the two Kings X threads?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2022, 05:27:35 PM »
I spoke with dUg Pinnick on Monday, about the new album. He's such a cool dude! Will post the interview here when it's published.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2023, 12:30:20 AM »
I saw these guys for the first time last week at a sold out show. Really great time! These guys are really tight.

I'm pretty new to this band despite knowing about them for years and years - found out about them from hearing dUg singing on Lines in the Sand. But I never dUg into the band further than that because I heard they were a Christian band. I'm not really into that stuff. But that seems to be overstated because I don't really get that vibe at all. Ironically, it was their newest release "All God's Children" that changed my mind and hooked me. (Really great song)

I just love how much of a people's band they seem to be and how much they are loved. I really felt that at the show last week. It's a real shame they didn't get bigger than they are, only thing I can think of is that Christian label really hurt them - because it's just great song after great song. Groove for days. These guys are my music obsession lately as I am digging through all their stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2023, 01:12:54 AM »
The Christian angle is SOOOO exaggerated.  Their first 4 albums vaguely hint at it, but it was mostly pushed by their manager. They wrote very natural songs that occasionally touched upon the search for the spiritual self (along the lines of Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas) but IMO their best album was Dogman (their 5th) which was made right after that same manager ripped them off. The album sheds any previous hints at “Christian Rock” (which were way overstated in the first place) and on at least one song, focused more on the betrayal they were likely all feeling. I can’t recommend this album enough
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2023, 09:01:46 AM »
Honestly they were screwed in either direction there.  They toured with Christian artists early on, had some Christian themes at times, and were promoted by arms of that industry, but then a few years in Dug came out as a gay atheist, so that killed any remaining connection there.  I think Ty Tabor still is Christian, but they're not as a band, same as with DT. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »
I've really never noticed much if any of the "Christian Rock" elements in their music
(which by comparison to someone like Neal Morse..or even some of the albums from King's X related band Atomic Opera, are pretty blatant).

Online HOF

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2023, 09:57:49 AM »
There were some pretty prominent Christian themes on the early albums (who do you think “King” is about?). But they weren’t exactly writing worship type music either. There was a lot of questioning as well (“The Burning Down”), and even criticisms of some elements of Christianity (“Mission” and “Silent Wind”). I think they came across as very genuine and not just trying to use their faith as a marketing gimmick or whatever. I miss that early period of the band to be honest. I don’t think even Ty identifies as a Christian anymore (on a recent interview he seemed to bristle strongly at a question about it).

But there are lots of early King’s X songs that don’t specifically reference Christianity and it’s all awesome even if that’s not your thing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 10:29:42 AM by HOF »

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2023, 10:14:02 AM »
From what I recall he considers himself a Christian but strongly dislikes being associated with organized Christianity and all the baggage that comes with it. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2023, 11:46:47 AM »
I never saw them as a christian band, and even if they were, I couldn't care less.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2023, 02:35:58 PM »
I saw these guys for the first time last week at a sold out show. Really great time! These guys are really tight.

I'm pretty new to this band despite knowing about them for years and years - found out about them from hearing dUg singing on Lines in the Sand. But I never dUg into the band further than that because I heard they were a Christian band. I'm not really into that stuff. But that seems to be overstated because I don't really get that vibe at all. Ironically, it was their newest release "All God's Children" that changed my mind and hooked me. (Really great song)

I just love how much of a people's band they seem to be and how much they are loved. I really felt that at the show last week. It's a real shame they didn't get bigger than they are, only thing I can think of is that Christian label really hurt them - because it's just great song after great song. Groove for days. These guys are my music obsession lately as I am digging through all their stuff.

Enjoy the journey...

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2023, 09:43:18 AM »

So glad you discovered them. I had a similar story to you. Knew of them for years, never checked them out. Saw them open for DT/Satriani back in 2002, fell in love, picked up a Greatest Hits CD (I think). Then saw them headline for 2.5 hours in 2004, immediately went out the next day and bought every record and haven't looked back. Dogman, Ear Candy, and Gretchen Goes to Nebraska are the albums I go back to the most.

They totally are "the people's band" as you put it. They are one of those bands where "if you know, you KNOW."

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2024, 06:51:58 PM »
bump.

Anyone curious about rare, early stuff, live and promo videos, including some covers of course when they were Sneak Preview.

https://www.youtube.com/@davidkoblentz/videos