Author Topic: The King's X Thread  (Read 12962 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The King's X Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
I have to admit, everything post-TapeHead really hasn't done it for me in large part. I bought and have everything, as I love the band. But I feel like King's X shifted from this positive, uplifting band, to this complaining, whining band. And I get it. Doug was struggling with his faith, the guys were all going through divorces and other issues, etc. But I felt they really lost what made them so great -- the ability to craft really catchy melodies with a heaviness that still featured beautiful harmonies, and uplifting, or at least positive-like lyrics.

Doug alluded to some of the negativity in interviews over the last four years or so. So, I am hoping when they do sit down and write a new record, they recapture some of the positive vibes they've been missing.

I totally get what you are saying.  I might not call it "whining" as much as just "bitter and cynical."  It seems like more the latter to me.  But I absolutely pick on the shift you mentioned.  And while I like that it brings a bit of dark, edginess, I also miss that positive, uplifting, optimistic aspect that they largely lost.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »
I admit I'm extremely ashamed of myself for having never heard BLS, XV or Ogre Tones.  I've heard that they were really strong albums, I just never got around to it.

XV was pretty strong. You should check it out.

Many love Ogre Tones, I find it okay, but more spotty.

My thoughts exactly, XV is a pretty good album, Ogre Tones is good but it's far from my favorite. Sooner or Later off Ogre Tones is a great song though.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I always kind of wished they would have continued in the more experimental direction of Bulbous, Manic Moonlight, and to a lesser extent, BLS, rather than going back to the more "classic" style on ogre tones and XV.

I feel the same way, but I'm kind of a fanboy, that I'll go for more a lot of what they do regardless if it is experimental. But I guess the fact Manic Moonlight was so experimental, and it 1-day clicked with me, I grew to appreciate it more.

They may never release another record, but it's sad in some ways per all of them are involved with new music in their other projects.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »
I've seen this band 0 times. Of the 40 or 50 times I've considered seeing them something was always happening. Birthdays, parties, ilness, babysitting, dog sitting.

It's a cruel joke at this point. Don't have Ogre Tones or XV yet, but I enjoy the rest, especially those first four and the live albums. They should have recorded more live albums.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »
I've also never seen them live sadly, never had the opportunity. And they didn't tour Germany that much as far as I recall (Lost In Germany  :)).

I've seen some video footage and it was great, but the live album that I have (Live All Over The Place) isn't that great imo. Those acoustic versions (that aren't really acoustic) kinda kill the energy and the sound of the record isn't too great. I wish they would put out a better live recording.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »
bump.

https://twitter.com/GeekUSA_podcast/status/939126948906676224

Cool podcast about the history of the band.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
bump.

new interview via Skype (broken/buffering audio unfortunately at points) with Dug about the history and what's going on now. Dug mentions towards the end of the video (18:20) there will be a new King's X album within the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=HOVK3nyYtdY

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
Didn't listen yet, but I am a huge fan. The three of them just have such great chemistry. I will admit, their last great album (for me) is Ear Candy, but I dig all their stuff. I think Doug needs to get more positive again in his lyrics. They don't have to be faith-based (I know the Christian church not accepting the fact he's gay and some other stuff soured what he had to say lyrically), but some more uplifting lyrical content from King's X would be appreciated.

Such a killer band. Here's hoping that new record makes its way to us sooner rather than later.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »
Saw Kings X in Jan 2017 and also met dUg. He sang to me. It was awesome.

Also ran into dUg this year. Such a chill guy.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 07:25:26 PM »
Didn't listen yet, but I am a huge fan. The three of them just have such great chemistry. I will admit, their last great album (for me) is Ear Candy, but I dig all their stuff. I think Doug needs to get more positive again in his lyrics. They don't have to be faith-based (I know the Christian church not accepting the fact he's gay and some other stuff soured what he had to say lyrically), but some more uplifting lyrical content from King's X would be appreciated.

Such a killer band. Here's hoping that new record makes its way to us sooner rather than later.  :metal

I'd settle for more live gigs myself so I don't keep putting off seeing them live.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:37:21 PM by ytserush »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 10:40:41 PM »
Oh dude.  I actually didn’t much care for Ear Candy at all.  But Tape Head was AWESOME!!!   Mr Bulbous was weird, but I like it in its own little quirky way....and then Manic Moonlight happened and that’s where they lost me.   TBH, I haven’t bought anything since except for one of the live releases.  Though I have been meaning to pick up Ogre Tones and XV....Ive heard they were better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 01:34:16 AM »
Ear Candy was okay, but didn't blow me away, now Tape Head on the other hand is such a great record, it's up there with Dogman as their best imo.

After Tape Head it got a bit sketchy, I like all of their records but from Tape Head on there isn't really one that can stand up to their best. Manic Moonlight was different, but I don't think it's bad. Ogre Tones and XV were solid in a good way, but I still think/hope they can come up with one last really good record.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 02:30:42 AM »
Out of the silent planet and Gretchen goes to Nebraska is still where it's at for me. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 04:18:54 AM »
I want to throw some love towards Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
Oh dude.  I actually didn’t much care for Ear Candy at all.  But Tape Head was AWESOME!!!   Mr Bulbous was weird, but I like it in its own little quirky way....and then Manic Moonlight happened and that’s where they lost me.   TBH, I haven’t bought anything since except for one of the live releases.  Though I have been meaning to pick up Ogre Tones and XV....Ive heard they were better.

Really, no love for Ear Candy? What didn't you like about it? I do like Tape Head. Just not as much. And agreed...Bulbous was weird, but it does have its place. But yeah, Manic is terrible, IMO. Ogre Tones and XV are better, but the aforementioned lyrical issues bothered me. I don't need KX to preach, but I do like it when Doug is more uplifting!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:21 AM »
Manic is one of the few I don't have.  I got into KX very late in the game and basically assembled their discography based on whatever I happened to find in the "used" bin through the years.  I think Ear Candy was one of the ones I bought new.  Never could find a used copy, so I eventually just bought it.  But it was one of the last ones I got.  I like it quite a bit.  But it is a bit of a change in sound, so I can see how it might have been offputting to some fans.  Looking for Love is one of my all-time favorite KX songs, and is a blast to cover.  My weekend warrior cover band had it in our repertoire for a few years and got to play it at a couple of gigs.  I might actually be singing it at a jam in a few weeks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
I've come to accept I'm in the small minority that loves Manic Moonlight, but also not to suggest it to those who have not heard KX, or even just their albums from the last 20 years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I can't say I don't like it.  I just haven't heard it.  I believe I may have heard live versions of some or all of the first three tracks, but don't recall for certain (other than Believe, which is on Live All Over the Place). 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 12:01:02 PM »
Manic Moonlight isn't bad, I quite like it. But it's different from the rest and therefore not for all fans of King's X. And while I like it, they have a lot of better records, imo.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
The first time I heard Manic Moonlight I wasn't a huge fan of it. But I gave it a couple more chances and really came around to it. It's a different sound for sure and it's not one I'm always in the mood to hear, but I like that they at least did something different.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »
Interesting.  I wouldn't have even thought you were a King's X fan.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 11:15:06 PM »

Really, no love for Ear Candy? What didn't you like about it? I do like Tape Head. Just not as much. And agreed...Bulbous was weird, but it does have its place. But yeah, Manic is terrible, IMO. Ogre Tones and XV are better, but the aforementioned lyrical issues bothered me. I don't need KX to preach, but I do like it when Doug is more uplifting!

For me, it was just a let down after Dogman (still their masterpiece IMO). 

Pretty sure I’m in the minority on this, but for me, the albums start really great, and then each one is a little bit better than the last one til they hit near perfection with Dogman.   Then Ear Candy was just....really good. 

Silent Planet 8/10
Gretchen 8.5/10
Faith Hope Love 9/10
Kings X 9.5/10
Dogman 10/10
Ear Candy 8/10

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »

For me, it was just a let down after Dogman (still their masterpiece IMO). 

Pretty sure I’m in the minority on this, but for me, the albums start really great, and then each one is a little bit better than the last one til they hit near perfection with Dogman.   Then Ear Candy was just....really good. 

Silent Planet 8/10
Gretchen 8.5/10
Faith Hope Love 9/10
Kings X 9.5/10
Dogman 10/10
Ear Candy 8/10

Cool. I agree on Dogman. It is their finest work, if I am being objective with myself. Usually I say Ear Candy, but like anything, I guess it varies year to year. I won't do the rankings, but yeah, those albums really do no wrong.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
bump.

new documentary coming (also new album and book btw)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217530816080757&set=a.1107381203222&type=3&theater

Doug Pinnick
December 4 ·

We have been all over houston documenting our history here for the documentary.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
I knew about the book, and have it pre-ordered. Didn't know about the documentary. Cool! About time! Such a killer band.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:30 PM »
new Ty Tabor interview

they go into the studio to record the new album in April.

https://growinuprock.com/ty-tabor-from-kings-x-bonus/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 08:26:34 AM »
Yay!!!

Can't wait!

The book shipped, I should have it today, I think.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
I got the kindle version today. I'll grab a physical copy once they hit Texas again.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
I included this thread in the "A-Z index of band threads".

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
For those on the fence about buying the book, I recommend pulling the trigger on it. It moves along quickly, but I have really enjoyed it and the commentary from each band member. Each era of the band's career is talked about by each of the band members separately,  and various guests. It gives you a variety of takes on many issues, but is written in such a way that it doesn't read choppy. It flows.

A couple of tiny editing errors no one will notice really (I've been a writer and editor for 20 years, so I pick up on it), but overall, its an excellent read, and a must purchase for King's X fans.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
For those on the fence about buying the book, I recommend pulling the trigger on it. It moves along quickly, but I have really enjoyed it and the commentary from each band member. Each era of the band's career is talked about by each of the band members separately,  and various guests. It gives you a variety of takes on many issues, but is written in such a way that it doesn't read choppy. It flows.

A couple of tiny editing errors no one will notice really (I've been a writer and editor for 20 years, so I pick up on it), but overall, its an excellent read, and a must purchase for King's X fans.

Is any more light shed upon the falling out with Wilde Silas Tomkyn?   Both KX and GC have been fairly tight lipped about it.  Other than I got the hint that maybe he was ripping them off or something.   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2019, 12:49:05 PM »
found this yesterday, and while tribute albums I'm rarely excited about, I gotta say, this isn't bad.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »

Is any more light shed upon the falling out with Wilde Silas Tomkyn?   Both KX and GC have been fairly tight lipped about it.  Other than I got the hint that maybe he was ripping them off or something.

No mention yet. I'm mid-way through the chapter on the self-titled record. Slightly more than 1/3 through the book.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »

Did HE interview the band or was this taken from other various historical interviews and compiled for the book? I guess what I'm asking is are these new interviews from the last several years or so or is it kind of a summarized compendium spanning the life of the band?

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2019, 01:33:13 AM »
Did HE interview the band or was this taken from other various historical interviews and compiled for the book? I guess what I'm asking is are these new interviews from the last several years or so or is it kind of a summarized compendium spanning the life of the band?

He did the interviews and they seem to be very recent. The band tries to remember the making of every single song, for example - which is interesting sometimes, and sometimes not so much.  ;)
Various musicians, like Mike Portnoy, are also interviewed.
I'm almost done with the book, and it makes me wanna listen to all of their stuff again. I like it.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »

He did the interviews and they seem to be very recent. The band tries to remember the making of every single song, for example - which is interesting sometimes, and sometimes not so much.  ;)
Various musicians, like Mike Portnoy, are also interviewed.
I'm almost done with the book, and it makes me wanna listen to all of their stuff again. I like it.

I might get this.

I think I'm more interested in his Islanders book before I get to this one.