Author Topic: Tell about your local music scene  (Read 7732 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Tell about your local music scene
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
This one guy has a harmonica and we all gather around..my buddy had a whistle but he lost it..sad day
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
Asbury Park NJ   - where Springsteen/Bon Jovi/Southside Johnny all got their starts

The local scene currently is indie as far as the clubs go ..The Saint/Blur/Wonder Bar

The Stone Pony has mostly indie/pop stuff during the week...with National Headliners on the weekends and summerstage..occasion will get a metal show of local bands but not that often . The National Metal bands that come through the area play the Starland Ballroom in Sayerville,Asbury Park Convention Center or the MAC at Monmouth University

There are a few local prog bands that have a small following and occasionly get on a larger bill, but nothing pretty much on their own
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jsem

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
I'm curious as to what the local prog or metal scene is like in your city.
:rollin

My area is better known for bluegrass.  There are a few cover bands around, but no prog or metal "scene." 

There is one band called A Thousand Shields that plays progressive metal, but they are a Christian band.  They are pretty good, though.

That is all.
So... by "christian" what do you mean? The lyrics are about the christian faith?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »
Asbury Park NJ   - where Springsteen/Bon Jovi/Southside Johnny all got their starts

The local scene currently is indie as far as the clubs go ..The Saint/Blur/Wonder Bar

The Stone Pony has mostly indie/pop stuff during the week...with National Headliners on the weekends and summerstage..occasion will get a metal show of local bands but not that often . The National Metal bands that come through the area play the Starland Ballroom in Sayerville,Asbury Park Convention Center or the MAC at Monmouth University

There are a few local prog bands that have a small following and occasionly get on a larger bill, but nothing pretty much on their own

me too..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »

My area is better known for bluegrass.  There are a few cover bands around, but no prog or metal "scene." 

There is one band called A Thousand Shields that plays progressive metal, but they are a Christian band.  They are pretty good, though.

That is all.
So... by "christian" what do you mean? The lyrics are about the christian faith?
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jsem

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »
Does it sound good?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »

That is all.

They are all named Christian ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »
since when do people ignore your posts?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 10:09:49 AM »

James posted?
*double take*

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »

I was being silly

GET SILLY JOE

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
Oh, it seemed like you were being an adami :p

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
Well most bands here play Death/black metal, theirs some occasional good stuff like Anesthesia, who are groove metal. But the rest is either Country, World, or Reggae.

Sadly, the only so called popular band to come out of New Mexico is....Brokencyde...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
A lot of indie/alternative stuff going on in here. Hipsters have flourished in masses, as well.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
Massachusetts is overloaded with metalcore and death metal bands.  It seems sometimes that there are more bands with growling/screaming that ones with clean vocals.

Offline jsem

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Well most bands here play Death/black metal, theirs some occasional good stuff like Anesthesia, who are groove metal. But the rest is either Country, World, or Reggae.

Sadly, the only so called popular band to come out of New Mexico is....Brokencyde...
LETS GET FREAKY NOW!!  :metal

do we have a core-emoticon? coreemoticon.jpg

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »
Funny thing is hardly anyone knows who they are.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jsem

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
They're the worst group of performers ever. I call them performers, not musicians. I also call them a group, they are not a band. Imo

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
They're the worst group of performers ever. I call them performers, not musicians. I also call them a group, they are not a band. Imo
wat's the difference between a group and a band
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
A band plays instruments, a group is a group of people.

Offline jsem

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 12:17:29 PM »
What benjamin said

group =/= band

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
They play instruments don't they? And they make music with those instruments?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jsem

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
Actually... I saw a live performance on youtube. They all just sing to a backing track. Phailage. They couldn't do the high-pick autotune stuff live.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
Oh wait this is Brokencyde, I was thinking Attack Attack.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jsem

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »
Oh wait this is Brokencyde, I was thinking Attack Attack.
Crabcore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crunkcore

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Random breakdowns + autotune vocals = epic

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
Syracuse NY is known for it's fairly big jazz scene, but other than that, nothing that I know of.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treasures of the Spirit : February 19, 2011
Band: Treasures of the Spirit

Date: Saturday Feb 19th 2011

Time: 7:30pm

Venue: Rockn Joe
3570 Rte 27
Kendall Park, NJ 08824
Web | Directions

Band Info: www.cyndeeleerule.com

Ticket Price: $10

GRANT CALVIN WESTON- DRUMS AND PERCUSSION
ELLIOT GARLAND- BASS
BILL BERENDS- GUITAR
CYNDEE LEE RULE- VIOLIN
DAVID DZUBINSKI- KEYBOARDS

Legendary drummer G. Calvin Weston has been playing jazz and fusion since childhood. At age 17, Calvin joined Ornette Coleman's Prime Time Band with childhood friend, bassist Jamaaladeen Tacuma, and Charlee Ellerbe, which toured extensively in North America and Europe. After recording four albums with Prime Time, Calvin went on to play and record with guitarist James "Blood" Ulmer until he joined John Luries Lounge Lizards in 1990. During the late 90's Calvin recorded and toured with Billy Martin of Medeski Martin and Wood, Tricky, Eyvind Kang, Derek Baily, Mark Ribot, and James Carter, and regularly performs with such luminaries as Vernon Reid of Living Color. He also played on several movie soundtracks including "Get Shorty".

In the summer of 2010, Calvin planted the seeds for this new project, Treasures of the Spirit.  The Mahavishnu Orchestra has been a tremendous influence on Calvin's musical sensibilities and playing over the years, and he worked to create his perfect lineup to perform their music.  Enlisting the help of funk bassist Elliot Garland, a powerhouse rhythm section was created.  Elliot is very active in the Philly jazz and funk scene, collaborating with many ensembles, including his aggressive funk band, the Elliot Garland Ensemble. 

Calvin then called upon electric violinist Cyndee Lee Rule to join the ensemble.  With her 5 string Viper violin, Cyndee has performed with legendary spacerock musicians such as Hawkwind's Nik Turner (and his band Space Ritual), Harvey Bainbridge, and Tim Blake (formerly of Gong), as well as members of Sun Ra, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Present, and many others. She has toured in the UK and has performed at the famous Melkweg Club in Amsterdam. Furthermore Cyndee is a sought after studio musician who has played on countless recordings. 

Cyndee invited keyboardist friend David Dzubinski to join the band. Currently Dzubinski performs in the Philadelphia, New York and South Jersey areas with Brass Roots, Kaylé Brecher, Jazz Diffraction, Elliott Levin, Frank Butrey, G. Calvin Weston, Misha Machez, The Blue Groove and others at many of the area's prominent fine jazz and blues venues.  David's accomplishments include a jazz CD ('Recyclical'), a Jazz Suite ('Strange Loop') with improvised interactive video commissioned by Philadelphia University, a Music Suite ('Paint') for live painting performance with the fine art painter Nathan Distefano, that was commisioned by and performed for Doylestown Health and Wellness Center, performances on two of jazz vocalist/composer Kayle Brecher's CDs ('Spy Music' and 'Urban Objects'), a score for the Society Hill Playhouse production of Sam Sheppard's 'Suicide in Bb', and one of Dzubinski's compositions has been published by Freddie Hubbard's Hubtones. 

Bill Berends fills out the lineup in the critical role of searing lead guitar.  While attending art school (MICA) in the early 1970's Bill saw The Mahavishnu Orchestra in concert, which had a tremendous impact on the budding musician.  In the mid 70's Bill moved to New Jersey and formed the progressive fusion power trio TANK, which was recognized by Variety Magazine as an up and coming art-rock band. During this time he also studied analog & early digital music synthesis at Princeton University's music lab. As the MTV generation took hold in the early 80's Bill moved more into studio production and live sound. Then in 1986, Bill, with his brother Rich, founded the progressive power trio Mastermind. Mastermind has released 10 critically acclaimed albums worldwide and performed extensively over the last 23 years. In addition to headlining festivals in Japan, Europe, and the USA, Bill and Mastermind have played, collaborated with, or opened for a wide range of incredible performers including: Jens Johansson (Yngwie Malmsteen, Stratovarius), Lisa Bouchelle, Fish (Marillion), John Wetton, Joe Satriani, Rush, Ars Nova, and Gong, to name just a few. In conjunction with his duties in Mastermind, Bill also explores other musical possibilities with The Berends Bros Band, a roots of blues and old school psychedelic blues rock group, and The Berends/Wilson Trio (BWT) which specializes in the music of Cream. Both bands play extensively in the New Jersey/Pennsylvania area.

With all of the elements in place, this lineup of Treasures of the Spirit presents the music of the Mahavishnu Orchestra with an edge-of-your-seat fervor unlike any other band performing this music. Audiences' jaws drop at the sheer virtuosity of the band and Calvin's almost superhuman drumming, while being taken on a journey through some of the finest fusion ever composed. This is a ride not to be missed, driven by G. Calvin Weston and his Treasures of the Spirit!

https://www.njproghouse.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
My town is littered with redneck radio rock/post-grunge bands.

Think...Three Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, Drowning Pool, Nickelback clones.

It's pretty fucking awful. I only ever see one band play because their bass player is a friend of mine, but I secretly don't think they're very good.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »
Stockholm actually has a great undergound metal scene. It's really crowded with more heavy acts that plays variuous forms of death metal. And here and there there are more melodic acts, such as my band where we try to stand out by having a more progressive sound.

I know there's lots of cool swedish progressive bands but at the same time, there's not much chance of seeing that kind of band when you're going out to the rock clubs here. Instead, you get a random In Flames-influenced band or something. Although I seem to remember one time, there was this band that pulled out Pull Me Under in the middle of their set. I was dead drunk but still recognized it. I went apeshit!

:metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »
I live in Chesterfield in the UK (town below Sheffield) and we have a great music scene around here, one of the biggest bands round here is actually a metal covers band doing Dio, Queenryche, Gotthard etc... and we have an original blues band who are getting quite big going around some major festivals.  There's hundreds of bands all ranging from metal to prog to indie/ska stuff and skiffle.  Quite a good scene for music.  :)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »
Greenville SC?  Music scene?  Don't make me laugh.  HA!

A challenger appears!!

Have you been to Blacksburg, VA?  We got nothing going on here.  You can travel 45 minutes from there to the Land of the Flower Children and get the occasional bluegrass festival.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
I forgot about Suspended, all female death metal band. They're pretty tight and have opened for iced earth and others...