Author Topic: Tell about your local music scene  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Vigilante

Tell about your local music scene
« on: February 16, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »
Hey guys, if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

I'm curious as to what the local prog or metal scene is like in your city. Are there any cool local bands, venues, etc. that are still underground?

On a more specific note, I'm in the early stages of planning a first tour for my prog band, so if you live in the southeastern U.S. and can tell me anything about bands or venues you like for cool music I'd love to hear it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tell about your local music scene
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
Greenville SC?  Music scene?  Don't make me laugh.  HA!

I think most bands that are around here are either country or indie-tinged rock.  I mean, it really doesn't exist.  Needtobreathe I think is the only noteworthy band to come out of this area.

As for my hometown of Raleigh, TOX might be able to talk about it better than I can, but Raleigh seems to have a fairly big metal/hardcore scene.  I think our biggest "achievement" in that area is BTBAM ("achievement" in quotes because I'm not really a fan of them).

EDIT: There's a venue in Raleigh called the Brewery where a friend's hardcore band would play.  Not sure how open they are to prog but it might be worth a look.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:10:21 AM by skydivingninja »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
For prog and metal there is no local music scene.  I'm in the southeastern US and the only music scene here is Indie.  I play in an Indie band where we sneak in other styles wherever we can, but since prog has such a small audience it will be difficult for you here to find venues if that's what you market yourself as.  It depends on you're connections really, I don't know if you're looking for a low-key fun gig or a serious venue, because the latter is pretty much the only option when it comes to genres that most people don't even know of.  

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
Here in Montreal, we have a very strong metal scene that is a bit underground. Bands like Unexpect, The Agonist, Ion Dissonance, Despised Icon, Neuraxis, Voivoid, Kataklysm, Augury, Quo Vadis, etc.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Where I live about the only music scene I really know of are cover bands and classic rock-influenced bands. Chicago has a bigger music scene, but I've only been to a few metal/industrial shows out there.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
Pretty good music scene. I live in Brewster, NY, but in Danbury, CT there are at least three places where kids from my school book shows that any band can get in on. I play them occasionally too with my band(s).

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
Bands from the Baltimore/Washington area tend to play this new genre called shit-core. It's apparently the new craze that's sweeping the nation. However, I choose to not take part in such shittiness for obvious reasons.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Hey now, the famed chiptune artiste Skydiving Ninja is a famous innovator of shitcore music, just check the tags on his bandcamp.  Don't immediately pass EVERYthing off as shit.  Even though most of it is.  Including the innovative chiptune mastermind Skydiving Ninja.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »
I'm in New England, the home of metal-core music...

Not really proud of that.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »
im in southwest CT. there isnt really anything here except hardcore and easycore aka be br00tz with a poppy chorus

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
Jimmy Buffett cover bands.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
In Miami, if it's prog, its usually that really really pretentious "yah our first 4 albumz are gunna be concept albumz that all tie in to a gr8ter concept about love or geometry or some shit". The rest is varied, but some of it is pretty cool.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
I have a list on rateyourmusic.com
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/music_from_minnesota

I'd say it varies, but some of my favorite music is being made here in my hometown. What is really sad and pathetic though is how unknown some of the legendary people here are, but only in Minnesota.

Dean Magraw, I'll argue to anyone is as talented and eclectic a musician, really, in the history of modern music (the last 40 or 50 years). But he's best known, and in a lot of ways, best experienced LIVE.

Lehto & Wright released my 2nd favorite album from 2010 in "Children's Songs" a progressive (folk) rock masterpiece of sorts.

Cloud Cult have a catalog that could/should rival Porcupine Tree

Greg Herriges
is in a lot of ways carrying on what Dean Magraw has done, in molding a number of styles (folk, acoustic, ethnic, rock, prog) to make his own. But like Dean, Greg is probably even greater live.

As far as what is POPULAR in Minnesota, it's primarily the Hip-Hop scene and for some reason, the Punk scene. Doomtree artists (P.O.S., Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Eyedea and Abilities.

Of course Minnesota is known for Prince, Johnny Lang, and even Bob Dylan. But also groups like The Replacements and Husker Du. More recently, Low, Tapes N Tapes, Motion City Soundtrack and a few other College Rock groups have become known outside of this place.

Offline Vigilante

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
I feel I'm in a similar scenario as most of you. Originally from Jackson, MS, there's hardly any prog bands to my knowledge in the entire state. As for my own band, we usually try to work into the metal market since it's usually pretty easy to find local metal bands. The shows we have played in New Orleans have surprisingly usually been pretty successful- people seem to be geniunely open to hearing local bands that don't sound like your generic indie/ hip hop etc.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »
There's not much. Sort of a blue collar town so most of the musicians are country and stuff like that, though I have been to a few decemt shows by local metal bands. Protest the Hero is actually from the next town over, though, and my supervisor claims to have gone to high school with them. Then the next town over is where Sum 41 is from...and after that is Toronto, and I'm not gonna bother with that because plenty of stuff has come out of the GTA (like Rush) and I don't go there often enough to know what the music scene there is like.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
My area is famous for bands like:

Attack Attack!
Of Mice & Men
Miss May I
The Devil Wears Prada
The Crimson Armada

and many others like that. Columbus, OH is like the base for popular hardcore, or whatever it's called.

Oh, and don't make me laugh about the music scene. Please.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 11:27:24 PM »
The power metal band Sacred Oath formed and still resides in Bethel, about twenty minutes from me.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:56 AM »
In my town, there isn't much of a music scene... cover bands and the occasional metal band.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »
Our local music scene is mainly glam rock. There is a few metal bands here too, the most famous one is Wolverine - a metal band with some progressive stuff. Lots of cover bands as well. My band sounds more like Thin Lizzy/Foo Fighters than the other stuff in our city, so we kind of have "our own" sound I guess.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
The most famous band from my city that I could think of, would be In Flames.
Apart from that, Gothenburg is mostly known for melodic death metal-bands, even though there are several other artists from here also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 02:07:45 AM »
Tell about your local music scene

It's fucking shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Remco

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
The music scene in my home town is okay, but a little bit boring. Every (little bit more serious) musician knows each other. We have got a few REALLY great musicians though. A couple of really up and coming jazz talents. A few GREAT drummers.
About the music scene outside my hometown but in my region. Yeah, there is this one great band called DeWolff. Psychedelic 60's rock.
DeWolff @ Noorderslag 2011. I for one would skip the first (and maybe the second) song, but that's maybe because I've heard it a lot. There newer material is much more adult. I hope everyone is able to view this. Not that it's NL only or something.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 04:27:24 AM »
I get to do two. Yay!

South Jersey: Depends on the location. In a lot of middle-class/upper middle class areas, indie-tinged rock of course takes the cake. There was a small metal scene before, but it seems to have flipped completely into a rockabilly scene. lol. It's like all the metal guys got together and decided they wanted to play weird country music. Also, there's a good just band environment going on. People do play in bands with each other a lot, which is cool. I think the south jersey hardcore scene is pretty much dead-- I'm not sure.

Hong Kong: Nothing really. I chalk it up to practice space being an issue, and people simply not really being into music aside from the local pop stars.

Offline jsem

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »
Opeth.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Bathory  :metal :metal

Candlemass  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 05:57:23 AM »
The central MA music scene is predominantly punk/hardcore bands and rappers. Nothing really relevant to my musical interests.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »
Well, London is London.

As for Isla Vista, there's no prog and there's like three metal acts, most notably Nekrogoblikon. Beyond that it's just vegan hipsters playing kazoos and shitty toy acoustic guitars.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »
Central PA kinda sucks.  The places that are really worth playing are hosting bands that play current radio shit.  Southern rock seems to do fairly decent around here, and if you play ANY AC/DC at all, crowds will likely dig you.  My band does a combination classic rock/new rock, with most of the focus being on classic stuff because (frankly) it's more enjoyable to perform.  There are a number of original bands, that all do stuff that's hard and similar to current scene stuff.  I don't REALLY know of a lot of prog or bands and such around here.

I've often thought that one of the best things I could get my band to do would (and this would be a long, arduous undertaking) would be to learn a full night's set of classic rock (for classic rock style clubs).  Then once we've gotten that down, learn a whole night of country music for those bars.  Nail that and learn a full night of current music.  Then a full night of 70's dance and such.  There would be no place where you couldn't play.  YES, it's way ambitious, and it's a lot of songs to remember, for sure, but I thionk it would be the ultimate way to ensure you get to play.  ONE of the four kinds of music you play will be in demand SOMEWHERE.

Then get a full page ad in the local music rag.  Make sure it's split into four quarters.  For EACH quarter, make sure it's the EXACT same picture of the band, same contact info, etc.  Except each one has a different band name and different dates.  Would be epic.

Kosmo

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »
Well there's a few metal bands here...  :lol But it's very mixed, there's people who only listen to radio stuff and then there's indie people.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
Bands from the Baltimore/Washington area tend to play this new genre called shit-core. It's apparently the new craze that's sweeping the nation. However, I choose to not take part in such shittiness for obvious reasons.

DC used to have a thriving underground hardcore scene in the 80s, from what I understand (not native to the area and don't listen to it anyway). There have been a few bands in the DC/Baltimore area that I have gotten into though I think one - The All Mighty Senators - is still active. Others that I have enjoyed in the past that are no longer making music - Mary Prankster, Rebel Amish Radio. On the prog side, there is (was?) Odin's Court and Brave, which still is a going concern if I am not mistaken.

But for the most part, most local bands in this area just aren't that good. I see more than my share of them because my wife plays in a local band and that gets me some more exposure to what is playing around here (at least when her band is active in playing out).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »
I was in Baltimore back in September to see ZO2 and they had a boatload of openers.  King Belvedere, Chasing Morgan, Sin 4 Sin, and P.U.S.H.  All of them were surprisingly good, even Chasing Morgan, who were all high schoolers.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 08:26:52 AM »
The music scene in my home town is okay, but a little bit boring. Every (little bit more serious) musician knows each other. We have got a few REALLY great musicians though. A couple of really up and coming jazz talents. A few GREAT drummers.
About the music scene outside my hometown but in my region. Yeah, there is this one great band called DeWolff. Psychedelic 60's rock.
DeWolff @ Noorderslag 2011. I for one would skip the first (and maybe the second) song, but that's maybe because I've heard it a lot. There newer material is much more adult. I hope everyone is able to view this. Not that it's NL only or something.
Planning on seeing these guys open for The Black Keys in The Heineken Music Hall
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Here? Lots of hardcore or metalcore or "core" bands. Also some bands made up of older guys playing classic rock. I also know a few rappers here. And then there are people like me and some of my friends who just play acoustic songs and such.

Exciting, I know. Don't everyone all at once respond to this post.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 09:19:31 AM »
You drunk or something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »
I'm curious as to what the local prog or metal scene is like in your city.
:rollin

My area is better known for bluegrass.  There are a few cover bands around, but no prog or metal "scene." 

There is one band called A Thousand Shields that plays progressive metal, but they are a Christian band.  They are pretty good, though.

That is all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
SHIT.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.