Author Topic: Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was not a raptor.  (Read 15283 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was not a raptor.
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
But when you bring the term free-thinker into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are a free-thinker, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an intellectual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than an intelligent, rational, thought-out process.

But when you bring the term Enlightened into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are enlightened, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an spiritual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than a divinely inspired revelation.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just saying that for one to have a constructive debate, one can't go around invoking terms like "free-thinker", because the implications will draw an immediate end to any sort of positive discourse.  Of course one would think the label for themselves was earned, and the other person of course would bristle at the implication that they are not.

On that point I agree...describing yourself in those terms would not help in any discussion.  I only point out that no group has a monopoly on douchy self-descriptions.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
Keep in mind also that being agnostic/atheist is still very much a minority view and goes against the mainstream view. It is only obvious that those people would describe themselves as something like freethinkers. Libertarians view themselves as freethinkers too.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2011, 01:44:02 PM »
Keep in mind also that being agnostic/atheist is still very much a minority view and goes against the mainstream view. It is only obvious that those people would describe themselves as something like freethinkers. Libertarians view themselves as freethinkers too.

rumborak

Minority view? I don't think you would say that if you were in China. Or even in post-christian Europe

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
Libertarians view themselves as freethinkers too.

rumborak

The Randian fan boys do, with all the emphasis on "rationality" and so forth. But most others don't  

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

rumborak

Minority view? I don't think you would say that if you were in China. Or even in post-christian Europe

Well, we're not in China, nor in Europe (most of us at least). I don't think atheists/agnostics call themselves "freethinkers" in Europe, since it's just a much more common sentiment.

The Randian fan boys do, with all the emphasis on "rationality" and so forth. But most others don't 

The moderate agnostics don't call themselves freethinkers either really.

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »

The moderate agnostics don't call themselves freethinkers either really.

rumborak

Oh, I know. My question was more about the militant assortment of skeptics; the ones who form clubs and proselytize.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »
I wouldn't call it "brilliant."  Six-year-olds can come up with that stuff.
Gives to show. If a mock religion can be made up with a six year old, how old do you need to be to think up a 'real' religion? Eight?

:neverusethis:
Sorry, that was just too easy of a jab to let it slide.

Offline jsem

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
Lol...

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:26 AM »
When I hear someone say freethinker, I think of people's view toward government, not so much religous views.

Offline jsem

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »
To label yourself a "freethinker" sounds like douche-baggery. Hipsterism. "I'm more independent of thought than you".

And I'm a libertarian... lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Weeeellllll .... you guys are aware that the term "freethinker" is an old historical term for a movement in the 17th century, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

rumborak

Offline jsem

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I bet you weren't either til you looked it up on wikipedia.

Great insight though.

Then libertarians who are religious shouldn't be using the term.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »
Weeeellllll .... you guys are aware that the term "freethinker" is an old historical term for a movement in the 17th century, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

rumborak

"Free thought: Four centuries of misinformed snobbery." 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »

I could see how it would make you feel better, but I *do* know some European history.

rumborak

Offline jsem

« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »

I could see how it would make you feel better, but I *do* know some European history.

rumborak
Crap.  :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Ah German native knowing something about European history? SHOCKING
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
Oh, I know. My question was more about the militant assortment of skeptics; the ones who form clubs and proselytize.
Militant  :rollin

Oh noez!! teh atheist are forming clubs and coming out against religion. They must be starting gang wars with there clubs and social gatherings.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

Oh noez!! teh atheist are forming clubs and coming out against religion. They must be starting gang wars with there clubs and social gatherings.

Do I really have to convince peeps that Richard Dawkins and co. are militant about their atheism?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 05:40:29 AM »
Militant

combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favouring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods

Yeah, I think you do.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
Do I really have to convince peeps that Richard Dawkins and co. are militant about their atheism?

Really you are using a clip from expelled? I'll look past that you are using a clip from that idiot drivel "documentary". But you use a clip in which PZ and Richard are calmly stating that they would like to see religion take it's rightful place as something that is not held in high regard. Given the definition of militant I was expecting some at least hostile language. Yes you still have to convince us.

Oh here a little clip of funny information about PZ and Richard on the expelled premiere.
PZ Myers: Expelled from Expelled!   

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
Militant

combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favouring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods

Yeah, I think you do.
Realistically, most people in America don't resort to violence to achieve political or social ends. My point is, "brights" are just as prone as anyone else to evangelize the world for their cause, often aggressively. Dawkins, for example, has come out in favor of preventing parents from teaching their kids about religion, and Meyers said in the clip I linked to that he wants religion to become the equivalent of a weekend knitting club.

Really you are using a clip from expelled? I'll look past that you are using a clip from that idiot drivel "documentary". But you use a clip in which PZ and Richard are calmly stating that they would like to see religion take it's rightful place as something that is not held in high regard. Given the definition of militant I was expecting some at least hostile language. Yes you still have to convince us.

The source of the interview has nothing to do with my point, which is that these guys are hostile towards religion. The skeptics aren't just disinterested in religion; they see it has a force for evil in the world and want to dismantle it. I'm fine with them feeling that way, but it's ridiculous for you and GuineaPig to pretend that this isn't the case. 

Offline jsem

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
But there's the other side of the coin, religious ppl thinking that non-theists are evil and want to kill them off.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
The source of the interview has nothing to do with my point, which is that these guys are hostile towards religion. The skeptics aren't just disinterested in religion; they see it has a force for evil in the world and want to dismantle it. I'm fine with them feeling that way, but it's ridiculous for you and GuineaPig to pretend that this isn't the case. 

GuineaPig and I are not pretending to think otherwise of their demeanor. We take issue with the use of word militant, you are using it incorrectly.   

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
I think it's fairly common practice for minority movements to make extensive use of hyperbole. That's nothing new, it's a way of getting your point across and be heard above the background noise of the mainstream.

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »

GuineaPig and I are not pretending to think otherwise of their demeanor. We take issue with the use of word militant, you are using it incorrectly.   
Alright. Nothing to argue over then.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
I think it's fairly common practice for minority movements to make extensive use of hyperbole. That's nothing new, it's a way of getting your point across and be heard above the background noise of the mainstream.

rumborak

This is true but the minority are the ones having the hyperbole used against them.

Quote from: William Wallace link=topic=20592.msg785576#msg785576 date=129
[/quote

Except your complete misuse of a word. If militant atheism/skepticism/humanism etc is going to be thrown around to misrepresent it's "figure heads" than I'll start using this new term I've created bat-shit crazy Christians, BSCC for short. This term will be used for any Christian that thinks the "saved" go to heaven and the "sinners" go to hell and are vocal about it in the slightest degree.   

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »

Except your complete misuse of a word. If militant atheism/skepticism/humanism etc is going to be thrown around to misrepresent it's "figure heads" than I'll start using this new term I've created bat-shit crazy Christians, BSCC for short. This term will be used for any Christian that thinks the "saved" go to heaven and the "sinners" go to hell and are vocal about it in the slightest degree.    
I'm not going to argue semantics. I used "militant" in a colloquial sense, and I think it's clear that I didn't mean atheists are physically violent. Get over it. Start using "BSCC" all you want. You didn't invent it and the preaching atheists I'm talking about have been saying similar things for years.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:31:53 PM by William Wallace »

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
I'm not going to argue semantics. I used "militant" in a colloquial sense, and I think it's clear that I didn't mean atheists are physically violent. Get over it.

Regardless of whether it was clear or not. When it was pointed out that you had used it incorrectly; instead of saying "your right I used it incorrectly", you defend it by stating "Do I really have to convince peeps that Richard Dawkins and co. are militant about their atheism?". Had you done the former I would have let it go but you continue to defend a position that is patently wrong. I would argue the same if you were wrong about calling anyone else militant when they were clearly not. 

Start using "BSCC" all you want. You didn't invent it and the preaching atheists I'm talking about have been saying similar things for years.

I'm not going too, that was an example.   

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2011, 07:26:19 AM »
Is this debate really that relevant to the topic at hand?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jsem

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
At some point... we'll be discussing nazis.

Oh noes. 

:vomitard: