Author Topic: Computer recording softwear...  (Read 1374 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Computer recording softwear...
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »
I'm way behind the times here. I have a fostex 16 track digital recorder but, I'm considering upgrading. I was thinking of getting a laptop and using computer based softwear to record music but, I don't have the slightest idea of what I should be looking for or where to start.

I know that there are a lot of you out there that do your own recording ect. ect...Can some of you possibly point me in the right direction?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline kirbywelch92

Re: Computer recording softwear...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »
Most recording software is stupid expensive. I've recorded on Logic and it sounds fantastic, but a lot of it comes down to budget and the learning curve.

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:30:45 AM »
I used to only use Pro tools M powered, but now i'm leaning towards https://www.reaper.fm/
Both these programs have some very nice, handy features.
I would avoid cubase at all costs if i were me.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
How about sound cards or any hard wear that I will need? I'm really in the dark on all of this stuff and need a lot of guidance.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
If you're planning on using a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), it would be best to have an interface.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/articles/recordingopt.html

The "Audio with Computer's own hardware" section describes what you're looking for.

Also, there is a free DAW that I know of, Audacity.  I've heard people say good things, so that's something to look into.  It can be downloaded from their website, https://audacity.sourceforge.net/ .
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:38 AM »
I use audacity.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
Agree with carl320 in this; grab a cheap recording interface that you can plug your mics/instruments into, like the Tascam US144 or something similar, which you can use with most DAW's.

I use Logic Pro on my mac.  Which I gained through....alternative means.  I wouldn't recommend that though because I think that may be the reason my recordings suck ball bags.  Karma. :lol

Offline Big Crouton

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
The real questions are: What level of recording do you want to be doing?  Are you looking to record a full band with multi-mic'd drums, or just some guitar and vocals?  You say you have a 16 track recorder now which makes me think that you'll want to record 16 tracks or so with your computer setup.  This won't be cheap (depending on your definition of cheap).

Which brings me to the next question, which is "What is your budget"?  Are you looking to spend $100, $1000, or a couple grand?
I'm not sure how literal 'God created man in his own image' is, but it would be pretty crappy if there was a god but he died a while ago of appendicitus.

www.mercuryrecordings.ca

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I use Sonar and a Firepod, but really, I'd recommend you try out computer based recording first.  I know a lot of guys that just can't seem to 'get it'.

You can pick up an interface on the cheap (just a single in M Audio runs like $100), and try out a few trial versions of software (Sonar, ProTools, etc.) and see what you think.  Then you can decide if it's worth your money to get something really nice.  It will also give you a chance to try out different DAWs, as some people prefer one to another.

I've been using a computer to record for about 12 years, so if you have any in depth questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Alex

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 03:03:30 AM »
The real questions are: What level of recording do you want to be doing?  Are you looking to record a full band with multi-mic'd drums, or just some guitar and vocals?  You say you have a 16 track recorder now which makes me think that you'll want to record 16 tracks or so with your computer setup.  This won't be cheap (depending on your definition of cheap).

Which brings me to the next question, which is "What is your budget"?  Are you looking to spend $100, $1000, or a couple grand?

At this point I write and record everything except for vocals by myself. I use a program for drums called drumsite https://www.guitar.sk/drums/drums_main.htm

I used to record my bass through a line6 bass pod, I've got a line6 flextone3 2x12 for guitars and I have a carvin acoustic/electric. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment so I have to keep the noise to a minimum and record everything direct while using headphones. However, I have played in bands in the past that I've recorded live with my 16 track (only 8 tracks at a time ect. ect...) and I would like to have that option again. That's part of the reason I would prefer to do this with a laptop but, if the costs are prohibitive I'd be willing to do it with a regular desktop system.

My current computer has an amd dualcore, 4 gigs of ram, 250 gig h/d and I'm on xp home. The soundcard in it is a pos but I can upgrade that easily. By the way, I'm open to suggestion on a good sound card for doing this. I also have a 1 terabyte expansion drive so, I'm not worried about having enough room. Is this system good enough to work with if I decide to stick with a desktop?

As far as budget goes, I can't really afford to throw the bank at it but, I'm willing to spend a little bit if it gets the results I want. I looked up protools on musicians friend and they had it listed for $500+. I think that's reasonable depending on how much I'll have to spend on the rest of the deal.