Dream Theater > Dream Theater

MP 98/99 wanting to quit and 2010 quiting

(1/5) > >>

Anjohl Tennan:
I'm listening to the commentary on the 5 years in a Livetime DVD and I was stuck by MP's comments about wanting to quit in 1998/1999.  I don't know if this has been mentioned before but it almost, well it did, seem like he was jealous of other bands (Slayer and Pantera in 1998/1999).  His exact words were "I was so depressed and I looked at them and they were so cool and together and we were frustrated"  I find that interesting because he did mention working and having more fun with other artists in his press release when he quit DT.  WHy does he look at other bands and compare them to DT?

I know the tread will likely be locked or deleted because of MP bashing and whatnot but I ma interested in others thoughts on this.

John94:
Basic human instincts. Tell me you don't look at someone else and compare them to yourself. Likewise, all teams must look at other teams and want to emulate them. Same goes for bands. Happy bands make good music and have a much better time in doing so.

FretMuppet:
Dream Theater were doing pretty well in 2010, especially after BC&SL came out, so popularity surely wasn't a reason. In all honesty, I don't blame Mike for his decision, he was all burned out. In 1998/99 he still had more inspiration and freshness which sort of motivated him to carry on.

TheOutlawXanadu:
What it boiled down to in 1998 and 2010, I think, is personalities.

MP is very different from everyone else in DT, which isn't a big deal if he is only with them for short periods of time (like Transatlantic), but after 10+ years, it's going to start to take a toll on the relationship.

millahh:
It seems to me like he has trouble allowing himself to be happy with what he's doing...leading to things like juggling six projects at once, and doing the "grass is always greener" thing described in the first post.  He seems to be compelled to do more or something different, feeling that he'll find peace or fulfillment in it...and it never happens, because he won't let himself feel it.  It's like the cartoons where the rabbit has a stick with a carrot on it tied to his head, with the carrot just out of his reach...no matter how fast he runs, he can't quite get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version