Author Topic: Home aquariums.  (Read 35406 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Home aquariums.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:17 PM »
Ceiling carp is watching you masturbate.

I'm not prone to motion sickness of any sort, but the last time I was at an aquarium with curved glass ceilings, it made me pretty squirrelly.  Don't think I'd want to spend much time in there.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
If I could only win the lottery.......

No way............show me the rest of that place, NOW!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 12:45:40 AM »
I would be terrified of the glass breaking while I was asleep.

I'm sure it's not glass, probably an industrial treated plexiglass of some sort.  It would probably crack more than shatter.  I'd keep a tank and mask under my bed  ;D

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 12:46:50 AM »
Ceiling carp is watching you masturbate.

I'd be concerned more with a group of divers swimming by.... :lol

No way............show me the rest of that place, NOW!

Here's some other cool ones....

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:52:31 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
Well the rest of those are mock up pics from a proposed under water hotel that will probably never happen, but that first pic I still can't source.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 01:14:20 AM »
Well the rest of those are mock up pics from a proposed under water hotel that will probably never happen, but that first pic I still can't source.

True... but, If I had SERIOUS money, you could bet your ass I'd have a pad like that... :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
Those last two are incredible.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
I used to have one with 2 goldfish. One was tiny, the other was bigger but years of being kept in a bowl stunted her bad, the poor thing. Anyway, after less than a year something struck them all down. It was absolutely awful. I had had the big goldfish since I was like 6 or 7 and I was soo upset. But now I have more time to focus on my snakes and not have to worry about water testing, cleaning, daily feeds etc.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
So I recently got 200 bucks in pre-paid visa's from the owner of my work for being kick-ass. I'd like to build a new tank. I would really like to make a live tank.  don't want to go through the trouble of having CO2 systems, or having to constantly measure the levels of stuff. I've gotten lucky with my 20 gallon artificial I have now. I've never added any chemicals or anything like that (I think I have ideal well water). I'm not looking to get anything massive, because I know they need a lot more monitoring, and definitely need CO2. Would I be able to get decent plant growth in a 29 gallon without CO2 as long as I had proper lighting? What would you guys recommend.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
I did a bit of looking into it a while back.  I wouldn't mind something in the tank while I'm waiting to find my fish.  I decided against it.  I kind of figured that it's an all or nothing deal.  You're not going to put a couple of plants in there and keep it that way.  Either they'll barely exist or die off, or you'll have a jungle in there before you know it.  And properly maintaining a jungle seems like it'd be a real PITA, unless you want it to look like the backyard of that creepy neighbor who didn't come out much. 

I don't think CO2 is required, but it usually helps to start things off.  Getting some in there on a temporary basis is as simple as a 2L bottle, some tubing and a packet of yeast.  Lighting is a different story.  Fish and plants really want different light.  Planted tanks aren't as bad as reef tanks, where you need 3 or 4 different lights at various timings,  but you still need 2 and that's a drag.

As for never minding the chemistry,  it really depends on the fish.  Some fish will live through anything.  Some are pretty finicky about water chem.  If you ever decide you want some fairly cool, exotic fish,  taking care of the water (which isn't too much trouble, honestly) is the difference between them living 6 months and 12 years.  And as an FYI,  a bigger tank is much more stable than a smaller one, so tending to water chem is actually quite a bit easier. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
Thanks Barto. I forgot to mention I'm doing freshwater, so reef is out of the question. Can you elaborate on the two lights thing?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
Plants need good, yellow light; like the sun.  Fish live under water, which filters the light they get.  Cooler white, shifted into the blue end (I believe).  Fluorescent bulbs stick to a fairly narrow range.  You can get one bulb to split the difference, but it'll be half-assed for both purposes.  Ideally,  you get a bulb in each end of the spectrum, and then figure out how to time them so that you're not lighting it up like a supernova. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
But what will happen if I just use the light that works good for the plants? The tank will still illuminate , no? Do the fish go crazy or something?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »
But what will happen if I just use the light that works good for the plants? The tank will still illuminate , no? Do the fish go crazy or something?
Basically, yeah.  Stress is what makes fish healthy or dead.  You keep the various stressors to a minimum and you get fish that live long, happy lives.  All sorts of things cause stress, and lighting can certainly be a big contributor.  The water chemistry that you don't pay attention to is the biggest, BTW.

Interesting anecdote.  A year ago I had 4 clown loaches in that tank.  Two were 2 or 3 years old.  One was 7 or 8.  The oldest was between 12-15.  The oldest one finally gave it up.  That changed the dynamics of the other three, and the new elder-loach spent quite a bit of time hiding (not uncommon at all for the species).  About 3 weeks after the death of the oldest one,  he jumped overboard from a tank he'd lived in all his life.  Never seen any of them jump before.  I find it amusing to joke that he killed himself over the death of his friend, but that's actually not too far from the truth.  They're fish, so for all I know they might have hated each other,  but such a fundamental shift in the make-up of the tank probably skitzed him out something fierce.  It was time to leave.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 12:05:10 AM »
Hmmm... That's interesting. Maybe having nothing but black lights on mine for the last 15 months hasn't been a good thing. Then again, out of the first 8 fish I bought, 7 are still alive. I lost the albino catfish when I switched from the 10 to the 20 gallon. It died within two minutes of being transferred into the new tank. I don't have any crazy expensive fish, so I assume they don't have a long life expectancy to begin with. Out of the 22 fish in my tank, 16 have been in there over a year. I prefer to have a lot of small fish rather than a handful of larger ones.

9 glo-fish (modified zebra danio)
5 neon tetras
3 red eye tetras
2 (forget the actual name) black and gold tetras
3 peppered catfish

It's strange though because I see different behavior depending on whether or not the light is on. When they are on the glofish come out into the open water, when they are turned off they usually go below the plant line. When the lights are on, the neon tetras and the red eyes tetras all gather around the avatar figures. They only school around (both species together) when the black lights are off. The black and gold tetras do whatever the glofish are doing. I don't see any difference with the catfish.

Out of curiosity, what would you say the life expectancies of the types of fish I have are?

*edit

Just went to the glofish website tonsee if they had info on life expectancy. They had none. However, they just released two new colors, blue and purple. Up until now they have only had gree, orange, and red.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:26:26 AM by Chino »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 02:29:51 AM »
Well bigger tanks actually take less work if you keep them up to scratch. Because they have a larger water body, if any excess chemicals or fish waste or leftover food, when it decays it will not affect the water balance as much. Always a good idea to check nitrate, ammonia and nitrite levels though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
Those are all popular entry level fish, and as such tend to be fairly hearty.  That's not to say that they're long lived, just reasonably adaptable. 

If a fish dies within minutes of transferring to a new tank,  it was shock due to very differing water conditions.  Temperature is the primary culprit.  I believe 1 degree per hour is about what fish can handle safely.  They go from 74 straight to a 77 degree tank and it's probably lights out for a few of them.

And maintaining good water conditions is really about as complicated as changing 25-33% of the water each month.  Spend $30 of that dough on a python and it's less than a five minute undertaking. 

Not familiar with the Glofish until now.  Interesting idea.  They used to just catch fish and paint them,  but due to the fact that it was kind of a shitty thing to do,  most fish stores refused to sell them.  Looks like these people have found a better way to get the same effect.  Anyhoo, they're essentially just minnows, and as such they're only good for a couple of years.  Small fish just don't live all that long. 

As for the black light, that's not going to give them any usable light at all.  They'll be able to see, but that's about it.  Now, since you're only looking at 2 or 3 years for them anyway,  it's probably not a big deal.  Hell,  I've impaled a thousand of their ancestors on steel hooks in a pointless endeavor to catch other fish that I don't even like to eat, so they're doing pretty well, regardless. 

If you ever want to get cool/interesting fish, then you'll want to maintain a better environment.  If you just want to throw some neat to look at guys in there,  then that's cool too.  The way I look at it, they were lucky to survive the trip to the LFS, and a helluva lot of them will be killed in 2 days by 11 year olds with no clue,  so if they get a couple of years in a crummy tank, they're probably still better off.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
Well I've begun working on my new tank. I dedicated a good 11 hours to it today. I just got the plants in the substrate. I'd like to get a long piece of driftwood, cover it with live moss, the stand it vertically in the left side of the tank. I'll decide on a backdrop once I get everything in the tank.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 05:52:34 AM »

Woke up this morning to clear water  :biggrin:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:32 AM »
Adami that hotel room is in Dubai, I've seen it but I don't recall the hotel name now.
Chino the pictures from your opening post are amazing, this has to be a bitch to clean though!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:11 AM »
Chino the pictures from your opening post are amazing, this has to be a bitch to clean though!

Thanks man! It's a pretty big pain in the ass to clean, but its pretty routine now. It's a solid two hour job. There are 23 individual things that need to be removed and cleaned with a toothbrush. It's worth it though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »
How often do you have to clean it?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
How often do you have to clean it?

I do a 1/4 water change once a week, and a full tank vaccum and cleaning every 4-5 weeks or so. Sometimes earlier if I notice quick build up of crap throughout the tank. Since I use black lights only, growth of algie and whatnot isn't really an issue.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:09:05 AM by Chino »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
Enjoy Chino.!

did you ever see that show on "Bravo or A& E " I think called "Tanked"? its like Cake Boss but they do wild fish tanks... its kinda a fun watch.

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
Enjoy Chino.!

did you ever see that show on "Bravo or A& E " I think called "Tanked"? its like Cake Boss but they do wild fish tanks... its kinda a fun watch.

I've DVR'd/Watched every episode so far. Those guys do some serious work.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
Enjoy Chino.!

I saw a few.. the shark desk and the beer keg one.. both very cool

did you see those crazy looking walking fish? my wife was soooooo into them
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
Enjoy Chino.!

The red ones that grabbed the driftwood? I really liked the dinosaur fish that looked like a green triceratops.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
Enjoy Chino.!

The red ones that grabbed the driftwood? I really liked the dinosaur fish that looked like a green triceratops.

Yes those.. they looked like walking bushes.. I didnt get a good look at them, it was the scene where they were getting the sharks for that desk tank..my wife wanted them!!!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »
Well Barto, after your words of wisdom and some research, I've decided on being patient and doing a proper fish less cycle in my new live tank. I went went out and bought a master test kit and I added ammonia today, the level is at 4ppm on the dot. I took stuff from my avatar tank and put it in the new one to jumpstart the bacteria growth, as well as cranking the heat up to 86 degrees.

Seeing as I never once took a reading on my avatar tank other than temperature, I was curious as to what all my levels would be. It's been probably ten days since I've done a water change and it's probably 1.5 gallons low (I've been crazy busy with school and don't get home until after 10 usually).

Ammonia < .25  (closer to 0)
Nitrites =0
Nitrates = 60

Now I know for a fact I over feed, I'm guessing that the crazy number of plants I have probably houses a lot of bacteria.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
If you were doing water changes, then your chem would have been fine.  As for the new one,  what you're doing is imperative.  Most people dump fish in a new tank and they die in 3 weeks.

After my last tank change, I did the same thing you're doing, and it's pretty interesting.  I got a kick out of watching the N process in action.  In my case, I had some gravel from the older tank which certainly helps to start the process along.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 04:04:20 PM »
Once I read deeply into the process, I'm fascinated by it now. In a sense you are playing god. You have total control over an environment that needs to support life forms. The only concern I have is that I put the plants in on day one. I know ammonia isn't bad for them, but I need to keep the lights on throughout the day. I have read that a lights off tank for a cycle will speed up bacteria growth.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »
Just chunk something from the first tank in there and you won't have any trouble getting the critters to grow.

Also,  the plants probably need a light-off cycle, as well.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
Well Barto, after your words of wisdom and some research, I've decided on being patient and doing a proper fish less cycle in my new live tank.

:clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
Woohooo! Excellent news.

I checked my levels today and my ammonia was down to 2-3 ppm. I got excited and had to check my nitrites, they were between 4-5 ppm. I got real excited. I then checked my nitrates, and they were at 20 ppm. Looks like the party is starting after only 4 days! I am very happy. Tomorrow after classes I plan on adding more ammonia.

I have a question though. When hould I remove the seeder pieces that I borrowed from my other tank?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
A few minutes after you put them in.  All you were wanting to do was to introduce some critters.  They're there now. 
E.F. Benson