Author Topic: Home aquariums.  (Read 35407 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Home aquariums.
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
I wasn't sure if they would school together or not.  I would say "not really."  Mine like to be semi-hidden when they sleep.  They aren't right in the front of the tank on the substrate, but they are in plain view.  Maybe I will try to introduce some more.  It has been awhile.  When I lost 3 or so in a string, it was bad.  I forget what parasite they got, but it basically made them not eat at all, and you could see them physically wasting away little by little.

Speaking of schooling, my roseline sharks are the funniest fish in the world for that.  In general, they school very loosely.  But if any other fish in the tank suddenly darts (doesn't matter if it's one of them or one of the loaches, and I've even seen them do it with the cory), the schooling instinct takes hold of them, and they all immediately group together and follow.  Funniest thing I've ever seen.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
Well the rest of those are mock up pics from a proposed under water hotel that will probably never happen, but that first pic I still can't source.
There's already actual underwater hotels in the Caribbean actually  :P  They're just expensive as hell.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
There's actually a forum devoted entirely to loaches that'd probably tip you off as to what the problem was.   If it had been ich, you would have caught it and treated it, so it was probably something else.  There are a few diseases that tend to screw with loaches.  With all the dither fish, your loaches should be pretty active if they have enough company to keep them social.  Technically,  five is supposed to be the minimum, but I usually just had four.

And at that forum,  check out what some whacked out Brazilian done gone and did: https://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8460&start=315
The results are stunning. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2011, 05:44:19 PM »
There's actually a forum devoted entirely to loaches that'd probably tip you off as to what the problem was.   If it had been ich, you would have caught it and treated it, so it was probably something else. 

Yeah.  I've actually had two bad bouts of ich in my tank thanks to my little orange and black friends, but I jumped on it quickly and nipped it before it became a huge problem.  I temperature treated it both times, and that worked.  No chemicals.  :tup

And at that forum,  check out what some whacked out Brazilian done gone and did: https://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8460&start=315
The results are stunning. 

THAT is a great tank.  Okay.  I am officially inspired to get more loaches.

I love this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udMK76w7w6A&NR=1&feature=fvwp  :lol  One of mine used to do that, but he doesn't anymore.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:18:09 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Went to LFS on Saturday.  Was ecstatic and :omg: when I saw the tag on the clown loach tank that had them for under $5 each.  On closer examination:  Wait...there are none in the tank.  :(

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
Enjoy Chino... it looks great!!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »
So I have been clearing 6ppm of ammonia in 24 hours for over a week now... I thought my nitrites were good, they looked nearly perfect when compared to the test kit. Turns out my nitrite levels got sooo high the test showed a light green (easily mistaken as a light blue). Tonight it took a 90% water change, followed by a 70% water change, followed by an 80% water change... just to get my nitirtes into the 2-5ppm range. I'm furious.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
Just a few progress pics of my aquascaping up until now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »
That explains why you nitrate levels seemed so out of whack.  So, from the sound of it, you developed your level 1 critters to deal with the ammonia (I forget the name of each type of bacteria, but you get the point), and then stalled a bit and don't quite have enough of the level 2 critters to deal with your nitrites.  But you should be there soon.  Without going back and checking, I can't remember--did you take some media out of your other tank and put in the new one?  Because that should have gotten you through your cycle quickly unless you took it out.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
Beautiful. I especially like the wood your using.
I gotta get some wood soon, attach some moss and ferns and finally start this empty 10 g that is laying in the basement for some time :) Luckily, there is an auction of the local forum/community that I am part of. This thread is infectious  :omg: ;)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
I am having trouble getting pics, seeing as my phone has limited exposure settings...

I feel like a total fish noob, I have already forgot the names of the two schooling species I got...

I'm buying a black back drop this afternoon. I completely forgot about it at the LFS yesterday.

This guy cleaned all the algae off the glass over night. I dig him. He just chilled in the corner for a good hour after putting him in the tank before exploring. He loves the little cave under the piece of driftwood in the left side of the tank. He just hangs there upside down most of the time and comes out here and there. He became very active once I turned the lights off last night. He neglected the algae on the plants though :(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »
As an FYI,  the pleco will need more food than just the algae from the glass.  While they love it,  it's not very nutritious. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
As an FYI,  the pleco will need more food than just the algae from the glass.  While they love it,  it's not very nutritious.

Yeah, so ive been reading. The lady at my LFS said they actually can consume drift wood for nutrients, others on aquarium forums seem to agree. Some people on line say they put apple, cucumber, or carrot slices in the tank, but they say not all plecos eat fruit. I'll have to research wide mouth plecos a bit and see what's best. He loves to chill in that drift wood hut. I might just put one of each of those fruits next to the back entrance of it and see if he eats any of them.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
Plecos LOVE zuccini :) I give them a slice every time I cook some. I have corries, shrimps and snails in the same tank, so I never really need to get it out in a couple of days to not allow it to spoil the water, as there too much interests that the piece is gone in less than a day :) But otherwise you can give algae waffers, they love them :)

FYI, you have bloodfin tetras (the ones with the red tail ;) ) and harlequin rasbora (the dark patch in the middle of the body). Both are wonderful fish :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »
Plecos LOVE zuccini :) I give them a slice every time I cook some. I have corries, shrimps and snails in the same tank, so I never really need to get it out in a couple of days to not allow it to spoil the water, as there too much interests that the piece is gone in less than a day :) But otherwise you can give algae waffers, they love them :)

FYI, you have bloodfin tetras (the ones with the red tail ;) ) and harlequin rasbora (the dark patch in the middle of the body). Both are wonderful fish :)

Thanks. I knew they were along those lines. Does the zucchini need to be cooked? Do the fish prefer it that way?

I added a backdrop this afternoon. I think it looks pretty good. Most of the brown alge you see on the plants in the previous pics is gone now thanks to that plecco. I love that thing!

A few updated pics.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2011, 01:47:39 AM »
People say cooked but it sounds like something that would spoil the water real fast, so I only put it raw and they love it.
But the second set of pictures and the closer look at the first ones, these are not bloodfins, just saw the other fins. These are actually Pristella Tetras :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2011, 06:06:47 AM »
Good to know. I don't have any zucchini at the moment, but last night I tried putting in two different shaped pieces of English cucumber. One of them got a we nibbles taken out of it last night. I'm gabbing some zucchini today, butnim gonna leave that cucumber in there another day and see what happens.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
I would only leave it there for max two days just in case. I think cucumber spoils faster than zuccini thus I never tried it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »
What I have always done with zucchini/cucumbers:  Got a little boiled water (you can just microwave a cup) in a cup or bowl and just blanch a small slide or wedge for about 30 seconds. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
Wow.  So, I'm reading this thread.  And I'm eating sushi at the same time.  Is that wrong?  :nemo:

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »
Haha :) I Love the fishy icon ;)
And that reminds me when a friend once called me and I said I can talk right now as I was in a store buying shrimps on a wonderful sale and she said "mm, yummy" and I went "NOOOOO, these are PETS"  :facepalm: She was SO confused :) :) :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
What I have always done with zucchini/cucumbers:  Got a little boiled water (you can Ijust microwave a cup) in a cup or bowl and just blanch a small slide or wedge for about 30 seconds.

I put some zucchini in yesterday. I put it in raw because I forgot about this post. I noticed today my water was slightly cloudy. Think it could be related?

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
Hm, I never had cloudy water from a piece of zuccini. And it's less than a day. I guess it's something else that is going on. I have to go back and read, but is your tank fully cycled already?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
Hm, I never had cloudy water from a piece of zuccini. And it's less than a day. I guess it's something else that is going on. I have to go back and read, but is your tank fully cycled already?

Definitely cycled.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
Just occurred to me to check the filter...this thing was white as snow a week ago..

The fuck?

I replaced the filter with a new one I had on standby for my other tank. The filters are almost identical in size, but the one that came with this tank is just slightly different, not positive why. I put the new filter in anyway and will see if it clears up by tomorrow. I shouldn't lose the majority of my bacteria. The filter I have has a series of trays that are supposedly there to house bacteria colonies.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
If it's properly cycled and not over occupied, changing the filter media won't be an issue as you have bacteria on the plants, decorations, etc. And having a few trays will help. Also if you can keep some media in there, it the trays or something. Or maybe using a sponge on the intake, etc. Sorry, I really need to get back and read your tank info, but having the filter so dirty in only a week is odd. Hopefully you will wake up with a clear water.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
I had a busy last two days. This is my original 10g Avatar tank before I upped it to a 20g. I built the stand last night and put the tank together just a few minutes ago.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
Considering i just aquired, lets say something that was in a tub with Will Smith at the end of the movie Seven Pounds. I love him to death( my new aquisition, but it has been a lot of work.) and his name is Shaman. I little irony if you see what i did there.

BTW, I jumped ouit of a perfectly good plane at 14,000 feet today. :)
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
Well, shoot.  When you are in Jamaica and you order a large pot of fish stew, things are good.  When you return from your 12-day vacation in Jamaica and find a 55 gallon pot of fish stew in your living room because your heater went ballistic while you were gone, things are NOT good.  :(

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/starting-over-lost-my-55-g-fw-205872.html

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »
Dude, that sucks.  Sorry to hear that. Poor fishies.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »
Damn, that sucks.  Actually had the same thing happen (opposite, though--heater failed, fish froze) many years ago.  Thankfully it was the GF's fish, and my tank was fine, but still a bummer.

Consider this a fine opportunity to go in a different direction.  Once you get something established, you're married to it for at least a decade, and even then it can be hard to change directions.  The first thing you need to decide is if you want to keep up the community thing, do a species tank, or a biotrope tank?  I think biotrope tanks are badass, myself.  Species tanks can be fun, as well.  Figure out the direction you want to go in, and then you can figure out the specifics. 
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:39 AM »
Damn, that sucks.  Actually had the same thing happen (opposite, though--heater failed, fish froze) many years ago.   

Yeah, I had that happen a few years back as well.  Only lost one fish (a gold nugget pleco), but he was my favorite.  Fish from the amazon do not tolerate cold well at all.

Consider this a fine opportunity to go in a different direction.  Once you get something established, you're married to it for at least a decade, and even then it can be hard to change directions.  The first thing you need to decide is if you want to keep up the community thing, do a species tank, or a biotrope tank?  I think biotrope tanks are badass, myself.  Species tanks can be fun, as well.  Figure out the direction you want to go in, and then you can figure out the specifics. 

Yeah, I've thought about that.  Not sure what I might do.  It was a good community tank, and I really liked the species I had (mainly roseline sharks and clown loaches).  Not sure whether to go a similar direction, go with something hearty and cheap and let it become the kids' tank so they can learn to take care of the fish, or maybe go with a small number of slightly larger fish, such as maybe parrots or firemouth cichlids. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
That blows, had this happened to my fish I would have been really upset.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1