Author Topic: What exactly does it take to be a producer/other music related professions  (Read 1888 times)

Offline TheMadgician

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed about good enough.

At this point, I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life. I'd very much like to do something with music, as that's my passion. Only problem is, It's not exactly practical.

I once had it suggested to me that maybe I could try to be a producer. I was hoping maybe someone here would know exactly what that entails, what schooling would be required, how one would start out.  And if production isn't exactly possible/probable, maybe some other music related/industry jobs? It's always nice to get an idea of what's out there.

Offline jsem

Re: What exactly does it take to be a producer/other music related professions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »
As a professional troll

I thought you already made money doing other things....

:neverusethis:

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
Y'cut me deep, man. Cut me deep. I'm going to go cry under my bridge now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
In all honesty it's two steps.

1) get very good
2) get very lucky
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
Well that's the thing, what exactly would I have to get good at? Like what kind of responsibilities? What's some software I could get to actually work on that kind of thing? What classes should I try to take?

What are some other musical jobs to look into? I'd consider starting/joining a band or do something with recording, but I'm really not good at playing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
How old are you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
Aside from being a serious bad-ass, Rik Emmett is a professor at some Canadian college teaching the business side of the industry.  His former associate Gil Moore has turned Metalworks into a full-blown music industry college.  If you poke around their websites and forums, I bet both of them have an FAQ along the lines of "so you want a career in music." I know Metalworks Institute has programs in damn near anything there is to do in music, and Gil Moore is very well established in that side of the business. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Thanks, man.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
I would replace point #2 with make connections everywhere you go, and always be the nicest person you can be. Sure luck helps, but making connections is what seriously gets you jobs in the music industry.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
(Engineering/Production)  The way to start out would be to get some simple recording gear and start recording as much as possible.  Learn by doing.  Schools can help teach you things quickly, but most of the time are not worth the cost. 

And a piece of advise I received from a producer:  It's not always who you know, as much as it's who knows you.  If people know who you are and know the quality of your work, they'll think of you when they need someone.

Two disparate pieces of advise, hopefully it helps.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Valdor

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 06:58:56 AM »
I've been sort of getting into beginner's producing lately, I suggest getting a decent computer and some software like Logic or Ableton Live, depending on your specific needs. I bought a somewhat dated version of Mackie's Tracktion to start out with for 10€, and it's been great as a learning tool - if you're just getting started, stuff like Logic pro has bucket loads of features you're unlikely to use, anyway. And I would suggest investing in a workable audio interface, microphone and midi keyboard. There's lots of great software for free or cheaply bought, but if the hardware doesn't cut it you'll just hinder your creativity.

I would suggest getting a book to teach you the basics. But really, you learn best by trial and error. Download a few quality samples and mix them into a full track to get to grips with putting a track together from raw elements.

I'm no pro, that's just my 2 cents.  :)
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
I've been sort of getting into beginner's producing lately, I suggest getting a decent computer and some software like Logic or Ableton Live, depending on your specific needs. I bought a somewhat dated version of Mackie's Tracktion to start out with for 10€, and it's been great as a learning tool - if you're just getting started, stuff like Logic pro has bucket loads of features you're unlikely to use, anyway. And I would suggest investing in a workable audio interface, microphone and midi keyboard. There's lots of great software for free or cheaply bought, but if the hardware doesn't cut it you'll just hinder your creativity.

I would suggest getting a book to teach you the basics. But really, you learn best by trial and error. Download a few quality samples and mix them into a full track to get to grips with putting a track together from raw elements.

I'm no pro, that's just my 2 cents.  :)

Hmm, I'm going out today, I'll see if I can find any books. My computer's a little old, but it's fairly powerful. Would Fruity Loops/FL Studio work? I know a guy who has it. I could swing over to his place, check it out, see how I like it.

And would these be good to start out with? They're low cost, and presumably quality.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/musical-instruments/af36/

Offline Valdor

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 02:44:14 PM »
Depends on the kind of music you're doing. FL Studio is generally used for electronic music production, with the pattern based sequencer and all. In that purpose it definitely shines, my friend has done some killer tunes with it. I think it could work well with other types of music, too. Trying it out with your friend (how can presumably demo some key elements as well) is a great idea.

For the price, I think the nano series are unbeatable. If you're not playing complex piano lines the keyboard is expressive enough, and the pad and kontrol have quite a few features for their size. So yeah, I think they're a sound purchase!

Actually, if I was just starting out I think I might grab this very combo, cheap yet versatile. And the nano series won't take up much desk space, either.  :tup
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 04:01:07 PM »
Awesome. Well I at least know what to save up for after I get my car fixed. I at least have an idea of what direction to start in to at least see if this is something I really really want to pursue in depth.