Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142173 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The Storm Within is the best them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Walls sounds really good with Tom too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNLgAY74yU

Really enjoying the sound of this live album

Offline emtee

I sure miss Ray's voice in this band. Especially on a song like Walls.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I sure miss Ray's voice in this band. Especially on a song like Walls.

Yeah me too. Glad he came out and sang Threads.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

Re: The official Redemption thread v. Long Night's Journey Into Day - July 27th
« Reply #1194 on: August 28, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
Listening to this on Spotify.

Takes me back to being there.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1195 on: August 28, 2020, 10:40:57 AM »
Walls sounds really good with Tom too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNLgAY74yU

Samsara, if you haven't checked out Evergrey's latest album, it's probably one of their best so that would be a good place to start if you consider revisiting them.

I may have to do that as well.  They never did much for me either, so I wasn't very excited initially to find out that Ray was out of Redemption and Tom was in.  But I thought he really did a fantastic job on Long Night's Journey.  That one is right up there with Snowfall competing for the top spot for me.  So, not sure whether it is a case of his voice just sounding very fitting for the Redemption material, if I am warming up to this voice, or a bit of both.  But I am definitely open to checking out Evergrey again.  I am completely sold on Tom being the vocalist for Redemption, even though I do miss Ray.

Live, he doesn't seem to be as into it as a frontman.  I know he wasn't really as prepped for the ProgPower show, which is understandable.  But I wonder if he might also just be more comfortable if he had a guitar in his hands.  I remember Nick saying that the two of them had decided that he wouldn't play guitar in Redemption so as to avoid it sounding like Evergrey 2.0.  But in a live setting, if it makes him look more comfortable having a guitar, especially during instrumental breaks where he has nothing to do otherwise, I don't think it could hurt to have him play.  There are certainly enough layered guitar parts on the albums for him to play a part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: August 28, 2020, 05:54:59 PM »

Samsara, if you haven't checked out Evergrey's latest album, it's probably one of their best so that would be a good place to start if you consider revisiting them.

I may have to do that as well.  They never did much for me either, so I wasn't very excited initially to find out that Ray was out of Redemption and Tom was in.  But I thought he really did a fantastic job on Long Night's Journey.  That one is right up there with Snowfall competing for the top spot for me.  So, not sure whether it is a case of his voice just sounding very fitting for the Redemption material, if I am warming up to this voice, or a bit of both.  But I am definitely open to checking out Evergrey again.  I am completely sold on Tom being the vocalist for Redemption, even though I do miss Ray.

Live, he doesn't seem to be as into it as a frontman.  I know he wasn't really as prepped for the ProgPower show, which is understandable.  But I wonder if he might also just be more comfortable if he had a guitar in his hands.  I remember Nick saying that the two of them had decided that he wouldn't play guitar in Redemption so as to avoid it sounding like Evergrey 2.0.  But in a live setting, if it makes him look more comfortable having a guitar, especially during instrumental breaks where he has nothing to do otherwise, I don't think it could hurt to have him play.  There are certainly enough layered guitar parts on the albums for him to play a part.

This.  From the clips I've seen from this DVD, I think Tom playing guitar would have made the thing much more epic and believable.  I hope they revisit this decision in the future for the next album.

Tom's lead playing is actually amazing too and was disappointed when it was announced he wouldn't be doing any leads on the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1197 on: August 28, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
Since the blu-ray was delayed a week, I'm taking the audio for a spin today.  I really love the sound of this release, the mix and production is fantastic.  The guitars are so crunchy and crystal clear and the keys and bass aren't lost at all.  Can't wait to watch the video portion of the show!

What I do like is hearing a little of Tom's regular-styled vocals coming through on some of the older songs.  I get why he chose to do things differently on the studio album, but it just makes me want to hear him go full on Tom on the next disc.  Regardless, he's an amazing singer and I love the versatility that he's showing between the two bands.  He sounds fantastic on this live album.

If you listen to Noonday Devil on the live album and enjoy Tom's vocals, I don't see why you wouldn't like him in Evergrey. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1198 on: September 11, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »
I have to be honest, Tom's over-the-top style in Evergrey was and still is one of the things that has prevented me from enjoying more of their music. 

When I first heard this album I had no idea Ray Alder had left and I was shocked to hear a different vocalist but I went with it and he really grew on me a lot and so by the time I finished my first listen to the album I thought this guy was a good replacement.  I had NO IDEA it was Tom. 

If he sang like this in Evergrey they might have been my favorite band.  :eek   This is so much better than all that forced, over-emotive stuff he does with Evergrey. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1199 on: September 16, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »
My digipack with Blu-Ray came in today. Gonna look for myself in the video, if I don't get side tracked by the playing haha.

But there's a picture of the audience where the Blu-ray sits and I believe I found myself. Basing this off of pictures I have from that night.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: September 16, 2020, 04:48:55 PM »
I guess that should put me right behind you or something  :lol That's pretty cool... still waiting for my signed copy from the kickstarter. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1201 on: September 16, 2020, 04:58:52 PM »
I guess that should put me right behind you or something  :lol That's pretty cool... still waiting for my signed copy from the kickstarter.

It was a fantastic show and am so grateful to be a part of it, and have an official momento.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1202 on: September 16, 2020, 05:03:37 PM »
So close to this happening to me

picture to url

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1203 on: September 16, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »

Fixed. I replied to Nick that I didn’t give a dan, I just want to watch the damned thing. Still no idea when they’re gonna ship to the ORIGINAL backers.

Seriously, the way they’ve handled the Kickstarter campaign has pretty much guaranteed I’ll never crowdfund again. Virtually no communication in 2 years, and now the label gets the lions share of attention. @ Ben, did you contribute to Kickstarter, or order once they had the AFM deal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1205 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:42 PM »

Fixed. I replied to Nick that I didn’t give a dan, I just want to watch the damned thing. Still no idea when they’re gonna ship to the ORIGINAL backers.

Seriously, the way they’ve handled the Kickstarter campaign has pretty much guaranteed I’ll never crowdfund again. Virtually no communication in 2 years, and now the label gets the lions share of attention. @ Ben, did you contribute to Kickstarter, or order once they had the AFM deal.

I ordered once the AFM orders were available. If I knew about the kickstarter, I would've gotten it then. It's unfortunate you guys are getting the short end of it.

Edit: And Boo...I can't watch this on my laptop. The Disc shows up in my player name and all. But it won't play the disc. It plays on the one I use for my TV.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:47:09 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1206 on: September 17, 2020, 05:51:56 AM »
There’s an update in the “updates” section of the campaign. They should be shipping soon. But you need to email Nick if your address has been updated or if you want all of the band members’ signatures.

For whatever reason, I don’t email notifications when updates  are posted from the KS campaign.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1207 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »
Kickstarter has stopped sending me emails because I didn't verify my email address some time ago, when they sent out re-verification emails.

Regarding the Redemption campaign, I understood the message as everyone being required to send their address and format of choice (DVD or Blu-ray) even if they haven't changed.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1208 on: September 17, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
There’s an update in the “updates” section of the campaign. They should be shipping soon. But you need to email Nick if your address has been updated or if you want all of the band members’ signatures.

For whatever reason, I don’t email notifications when updates  are posted from the KS campaign.

I already did that - last week.  I too am not getting notifications where there are updates in the Campaign.  But again...I have a beef that orders from AFM or whatever other distribution outlet are already being fulfilled, and KS backers are still

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: September 17, 2020, 01:20:56 PM »
Yea, the process turns me off too.  I even considered just buying from AFM to get my copy quick and then telling Redemption to hold onto my copy until the whole band can sign, but I'm honestly just a little turned off to want to spend more money now.  I was really behind the idea of the kickstarter being that I knew I would be in attendance, but at the end of the day, it is starting to sour me as it seems the backers get a bit of the shaft here which is unfortunate.  I'm still looking forward to getting this, but my anticipation has definitely weakened because I have no idea when this will arrive.  The last update said "next week" and that was almost two weeks ago.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1210 on: September 17, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Watching the Blu-Ray now...

Really great sound and video...

Also, I saw The Walrus all jamming out at the end of NoonDay Devil

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1211 on: October 08, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »
My Kickstarter Bluray arrived today.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1212 on: October 08, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
An update from Sept. 29 says all BRs are in the mail except for those who wanted the Bluray signed by the whole band and would have to wait a bit longer.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: October 08, 2020, 08:01:21 AM »
I got mine last week and watched the first few songs which were really good.  Solid sound and video quality, performance is tight.   :metal :metal No sightings of myself though.  After seeing the Haken PP show on DVD and now this, I seem to always stand just outside the camera view. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1214 on: October 08, 2020, 08:22:38 AM »
I got mine last week and watched the first few songs which were really good.  Solid sound and video quality, performance is tight.   :metal :metal No sightings of myself though.  After seeing the Haken PP show on DVD and now this, I seem to always stand just outside the camera view.

At least you're not short... :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: October 08, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »
I found myself rocking out during The Echo Chamber and Nick is clearly shown earlier  :metal :metal

Also, I saw a DTFer in the credits  :yarr

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1216 on: October 08, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
I found myself rocking out during The Echo Chamber and Nick is clearly shown earlier  :metal :metal

Also, I saw a DTFer in the credits  :yarr

:metal :metal

I haven't really looked, to be honest.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: October 09, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
but it just makes me want to hear him go full on Tom on the next disc. 

Oh, man, I hope this NEVER happens.  I don't want this band to sound like Evergrey.  In fact, it's his vocals in Evergrey that I find kind of unlistenable to be honest.  He layers it on way too thick for me.  When I first heard him on this album I honestly wondered why he didn't sing like this with Evergrey, I bet they'd be FAR more popular if he did.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: October 09, 2020, 02:17:56 PM »
I must be crazy, to me he just sounds like Tom in both bands.  I can't that big a difference in his voice.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: October 09, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
I must be crazy, to me he just sounds like Tom in both bands.  I can't that big a difference in his voice.

It's not his voice, it's the delivery that's different.  Tom sings the same way Ray sings in Redemption which is very straightforward, but he sings with much more power and emotion in Evergrey IMO.  I can see how it would turn someone off, but I think both suite their respective music fine the way it is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: October 09, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »

It's not his voice, it's the delivery that's different.  Tom sings the same way Ray sings in Redemption which is very straightforward, but he sings with much more power and emotion in Evergrey IMO.  I can see how it would turn someone off, but I think both suite their respective music fine the way it is.

I can hear it, but for me it's just not that drastically different that it would be enough to like his voice in Redemption and not Evergrey.  I'm biased though as I'm a big fan of his.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: October 14, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
Finally finished watching the whole concert blu-ray and it's really well done.  If you are a fan of the band, you should check it out for sure.  So I've not been a long time fan of the band, only really got into them with the latest release (which I very much enjoyed) so when the credits rolled, I see Simone Mularoni is not a permanent member of the band.  BUT, I think this guy was the star of the show.  His guitar playing is very awesome on this.  That's not to put down any other members, but he really stood out to me as a solid guitarist that I'm not familiar with and apparently isn't a full time member of the band.  Either way, just wanted to give some props to him.  The band sounds really good here, I think Tom sounds great too and I've got no issues with his performance.  The ipad on the mic stand doesn't really bother me watching on video as it did live, maybe it was just edited to not really show it in a way to make it feel like Tom didn't know the lyrics or something.  Ray Alder is really good in his guest spot as well, and I've never been a big fan of his (not against him or anything, just didn't love him the way lots of people do). Anyway, my points is, this is a solid release.  It took awhile but I got my signed copy and I'm a happy customer at the end of the day.

Also, I did find myself in the video.  At the end of Threads, Tom thanks Ray and the camera does a pan of the crowd where you can clearly see me holding my drink (Titos and club), yelling, and looking directly at the camera (I remember this too, was hoping my face made it to the video  :metal).  That is cramx3 style  :yarr

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: October 15, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

I can hear it, but for me it's just not that drastically different that it would be enough to like his voice in Redemption and not Evergrey.  I'm biased though as I'm a big fan of his.

Yeah, I just find his vocals in Evergrey to be way, way, way too over the top in that overly-emotive style, it just sounds....contrived or something.  Then again, I don't really care that much for their music either so go figure.  Tastes, right? 

I have to be honest, I really enjoyed the new album from Redemption and I quickly got used to Tom's voice, but I am having a hard time getting into this live album.  Some of the backing vocals are fucking embarrassingly out of key - I still can't believe they left them in there, wow.  Reminds me a little bit of the rougher moments on Once In a Livetime.  I always thought Tom had a much stronger voice.  Now maybe on this live album it's just the way they mixed it, but they really didn't do him any favors with the mixing.  That said the band is tight as hell.  Very impressive performances all around.  And I'm not trying to pile on Tom.  He's good, but I think they kind of fucked him on the mix here.    I need to check out the DVD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: November 11, 2020, 08:36:50 AM »
Soooo looks like there's been some drama in the ProgPower facebook group because Nick told someone "get cancer you piece of shit"  ??? ???

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1224 on: November 11, 2020, 08:42:25 AM »
Soooo looks like there's been some drama in the ProgPower facebook group because Nick told someone "get cancer you piece of shit"  ??? ???

I don't see him saying that unless that person said something really really horrible.