Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142144 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Too bad it's the radio edit. The real album track is two minutes longer.

oh damn, how do you cut 2 minutes from a song?  It must be missing some really good stuff, unless it was just some intro/outro music, but the song is fairly straight forward so maybe it's from the instrumental section which is pretty awesome here but a bit short.

Offline nvandyk1

Missing is:

* Intro with key build
* Slightly longer drum fill
* Two different riffs after the main intro riff
* Bridge
* Technical section before the solos

Otherwise it's identical. ;)

Offline T-ski

video reminded me of the 80's.....one hot chick walking around being hot while the band plays the song.

song was awesome though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
The video is out for all - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQKHm_l-vcc

How sweaty were you guys or was it not as hot as it looks? :D

I like the song but I still feel that Tom was holding back and could have done a bit more on it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
At least Patrick Ullaeus didn't arrange the cables in a circle around the band, like he did with several Evergrey and Arch Enemy videos over the last few years.   That was starting to drive me nuts. 

Awesome song though - great riffs and leads, though I think I'd agree about Tom.  I love him, but maybe there are songs on the album where he really cuts loose and goes for it.  The chorus seems very subdued and relaxed, but I can hear him in my mind wailing away on it.

Offline nvandyk1

A note on Tom...

His performance is, intentionally on his part and with my support and that of others in the band, not supposed to sound exactly like he does in Evergrey.

A note on the cables...

Uh...don't look too closely. :)

On, and Abydos...yeah it was bloody hot out in that desert!  We had a tent and a fan and cold towels but it was a long 10 hours out there.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:13:54 PM by nvandyk1 »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Next video in the desert - Hawaiian shirts and shorts, it won't be any less \m/ :P

I agree with you wholeheartedly with your and Tom's approach that he shouldn't sound like he does in Evergrey. But knowing that he can do more than that, it felt a little underwhelming, especially in the chorus. But I'm sure I'll get used to that after my initial expectations are out of the way and the song starts to sink in and I begin to appreciate it on its own merit.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Missing is:

* Intro with key build
* Slightly longer drum fill
* Two different riffs after the main intro riff
* Bridge
* Technical section before the solos

Otherwise it's identical. ;)

It did feel like a sudden start. Good song though, Tom is sounding good. Can't wait to hear him sing the older songs at ProgPower in Sept.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nvandyk1

Next video in the desert - Hawaiian shirts and shorts, it won't be any less \m/ :P

I agree with you wholeheartedly with your and Tom's approach that he shouldn't sound like he does in Evergrey. But knowing that he can do more than that, it felt a little underwhelming, especially in the chorus. But I'm sure I'll get used to that after my initial expectations are out of the way and the song starts to sink in and I begin to appreciate it on its own merit.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while these songs and melodies fit Tom's range, his range of full-throated angst may be a subset of his overall range. :)

Offline Lethean

I think abydos is probably right that we're going to have to take some time to get used to Tom's vocals with Redemption.  Right now it does just seem like he's restrained and something isn't quite right, but I'm willing to see how it grows. 

For what it's worth, I think Ray still sounded like Ray in Redemption, but there were no issues with anything sounding too much like Fates Warning.  I think Tom could just let loose and be himself and it would be fine.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Any chance of The Poker's Rake Trilogy being played live? Maybe just Love Kills Us All/Life in One Day?

Offline NoseofNicko

Someone Else’s Problem isn’t a bad song, but I don’t like it.  :-[ Indulge in Color was so great, so I guess my expectations were too high.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
In streaming service, someone else’s  problem is in its complete version  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

Yeah, I got the full song on iTunes yesterday. Much, much more satisfying in its full length- although I totally get the necessities of trimming down a longer song for a single/music video version.

I’m actually kind of surprised Someone Else’s Problem isn’t the album opener. The full 90 second long opening sequence would have made for one epic opening with its buildup!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I got the full song on iTunes yesterday. Much, much more satisfying in its full length- although I totally get the necessities of trimming down a longer song for a single/music video version.

What are the necessities of trimming down the song?  Especially if you say the full length is more satisfying.  I understand for radio or past MTV airplay, but in the world of youtube videos and unlimited length people's leisure of skipping through videos, what is the reason today to trim down a prog metal song?  Maybe in video production costs?  An extra 2 minutes of video means x amount of dollars cost maybe? 

Offline nvandyk1

What are the necessities of trimming down the song?  Especially if you say the full length is more satisfying.  I understand for radio or past MTV airplay, but in the world of youtube videos and unlimited length people's leisure of skipping through videos, what is the reason today to trim down a prog metal song?  Maybe in video production costs?  An extra 2 minutes of video means x amount of dollars cost maybe?

We had plenty of footage to do a longer video.

Satellite radio plays music. And the label has a lot of data that shows people tune out (literally and/or figuratively) with long introductions. I had to push to get Indulge in Color released as our second video. And even now, when people are into it more than the first video which is shorter, it has a third of the views. So they are on to something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was hoping you'd respond since you'd give a real answer that makes sense, not just one of us guessing.  Hard to argue against the data, that is interesting though.  I kind of figured this genre of music would be more accepting to the full song.  Also, I don't have satellite radio so didn't really think of that as an option.  Thanks for the response.

Offline Lethean

I kind of figured this genre of music would be more accepting to the full song. 

Fans of the genre already probably are.  But I think with a video edit they're trying to reach beyond that.  Maybe some will only ever be interested in the shorter songs, but if it gets them talking and sharing, that's something.  Still others might start with the shorter songs and then find they like the longer tracks too.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni

Love love love the long version!  Wow!  Classic Redemption! :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can that girl be in every video?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Just watched it.  I think CHP should be notified that this girl drove from Malibu to the desert in under a minute.  She can't possibly have obeyed the local speed limits.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just watched it.  I think CHP should be notified that this girl drove from Malibu to the desert in under a minute.  She can't possibly have obeyed the local speed limits.

Well, Nick did say that it's a Radio Edit. Maybe if they played the whole song...

...who cares. That chick can damn do whatever the hell she wants!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Really good new song, something a different which is cool.  Love the solo trade offs between Nick and Chris.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ronnibran

New Redemption showed up in my mail today!!! Ordered from Metal Blade.  Can't wait to dive in to it tomorrow (my best music listening time is during work).  I read through the lyrics though, great stuff!!!  Nick is a fantastic writer and lyricist.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
New Redemption showed up in my mail today!!! Ordered from Metal Blade.  Can't wait to dive in to it tomorrow (my best music listening time is during work).  I read through the lyrics though, great stuff!!!  Nick is a fantastic writer and lyricist.

Got mine too, and the t-shirt!  Can't wait to sink my teeth into this bad boy!  Thank you for another new album of heavy, melodic and emotionally powerful progressive metal, Nick! \m/     
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
This album is fantastic. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Interested in hearing the album. I fully admit that for whatever reason, Tom's voice never clicks with me. I've tried a couple Evergrey records, and there is something in his voice that just doesn't click with me. Fantastic singer. But I am not sure how to put my finger on it. Glad Nick pointed out Tom sounds different than he does with Evergrey. I'll check out (buy) the new Redemption record in the next week or so (I have purposefully not watched any video or listened to clips).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Bosk1 review of the album

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/redemptions-long-nights-journey-into-day-is-a-progressive-metal-masterpiece-by-bosk1

:metal

Really enjoyed this review, bosk!  Very honest and well-written.  I'm extra excited to listen to it now knowing you loved it so much after your initial trepidation. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Thanks!  I just can't stop listening to it.  It may surpass Snowfall as my favorite Redemption album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
OK, so based on some minor listening, and bosk1's reviews, I ordered both Redemption and Michael Romeo. Should be a good weekend of getting into some new tunes.

Here's hoping Redemption tour (tours are hard to do for bands Redemption's size) extensively. I saw them open for DT in 2007 in Berkeley, Calif. The sound was poor for them, which was a bummer, but it was cool to see them live.

Coincidentally, Nick, since you are on here, are you against bootlegs of your band? If not, I have a mini-disc of that 2007 Berkeley show that I recorded (full show). But while I know it recorded (since I checked it initially), I since don't have a mini-disc player or recorder any longer, so I am searching for someone to pull that recording, master it, and put it out for folks to enjoy. I have no recollection on how it came out on the recording, as it was so long ago (the recording, the show itself had funky sound, but not sure if it got cleared up as it got recorded), but if Nick doesn't mind boots, I'm happy to send it to him if he'd like it, and would give me back the master, and the show on CD or .flac (or anyone willing to do it if Nick doesn't mind bootlegs).

Here's hoping I connect with Tom's voice a little better, and looking forward to hearing the new album.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So I got the Fullness of Time and am enjoying it.  Redemption was one of the bands I knew of (since they toured with DT, although I didn't see Redemption on the tour) but didn't know musically and wanted to before ProgPower so after hearing the new songs, which I enjyoed, I finally started digging into some old tunes and definitely am liking TFOT.  Still need to dig into it as prog usually take a bunch of listens to really appreciate the intricacies but my initial listens are very positive.  However, I think I need to just get the new album and dig into that before exploring anymore.  Looking forward to getting the new album.  :metal

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Sonic Perspectives posted a great interview with Nick that offers a lot of insight into the new album, the Ray/Tom situation, and Tom and Vikram's involvement going forward, among other things. Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KooPWPCEJM

The interview prompted me to check out some of Vikram's stuff, and I'm excited to see him more involved in the future songwriting process for Redemption.  I feel like his keyboard work could really add something to the band's sound.  Here's a beautiful cover version he posted last year of Everygrey's "Distance."  Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvU_nJeo18g

In fact, I think the band should consider letting Vikram have a keyboard solo at their upcoming live shows.  He can do a piano rendition of a Redemption classic or something for a change of pace during the show.  It would be a great way to introduce him to fans.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:47:43 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Here's a beautiful cover version he posted last year of Everygrey's "Distance."  Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvU_nJeo18g

???  Where's the part that goes:  "Reluctantly crouched at the starting line, Engines pumping and thumping in time, The green light flashes, the flags go up, Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup"?

@Mike:  I am listening to that interview while I am at work, and am loving hearing Nick's thought process on a lot of things.  In many ways, he seems very much like Bruce Dickinson in terms of his drive, work ethic, and his love for learning and experiencing new things, and pouring himself into them.  I mean, he is very different from Bruce in lots of ways.  But he has that similar trait that makes him fascinating to listen to.  (and I'm not just saying that because Nick is keeping an eye on this thread)  Really, really cool interview.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:38:29 AM by bosk1 »