Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142827 times)

Offline nvandyk1

Hello folks. Weighing in again on a few things.

First, very glad to hear most of you really enjoy Indulge in Color. I'm pretty fired up about how it turned out.

For those commenting that it seems similar to Black & White World...well, it is a companion piece to it. :) 

We are very happy to have Vikram as our keyboardist. He can play the lines much better than I can, and he's going to be involved in composition moving forward and I think that is really going to elevate what we can do!  But on this song, it's me on the record, for better or worse.

Tom and I discussed his guitar playing which is of course phenomenal. It was very important to him, and I respect it, that he doesn't want to play guitar in Redemption. We have to take as many steps as possible to ensure that Evergrey remains distinct from us and as a long time fan of Evergrey as well as a friend of Tom who respects his passion, commitment and energy as well as his many talents, I am fully supportive of this decision. So sorry to say, you will all have to make do with me plus Simone and Chris. :)

Regarding the pricing of the rewards on Kickstarter, yes, it's a bit more expensive than last time. Blu Rays cost more to manufacture and the cost of getting European musicians over here is a lot more than you would think...well over $5K just to have them join us. Plus you can expect the production value of our show to be pretty remarkable...and that also costs money. We're also hiring special light and sound people for the show; that also costs more money. We hope to provide tremendous value to our fans, but yes, some of those costs are being passed on in the form of the rewards. For those who enjoy the music and don't have as much disposable income to invest in helping the band put out the new product, believe me, no offense is taken. We are grateful for every expression of support, including simply the enjoyment of our music.

Someone was kind enough to point out what I wrote elsewhere...that obviously we could have had Simone play Chris' solo instead of having a still photograph of Chris...but Chris' solo is SO GOOD that he deserves credit for it. I agree with the poster who commented that it is one of Chris' absolute bests. The combination of his unique style and total shredding with the feel that emotion that he delivers is really remarkable. So that's why that is there.

And re: Tom's vocal performance, all I can say is: I told you so. ;)   It's difficult to release an 8 minute track as the first "single" from a record, and I wanted something that had a ton of energy to answer doubters in that way, hence Little Men. But this one answers whether or not Tom can really elevate a traditional "Prog Metal" song from Redemption. I think he sounds amazing and I'm glad the majority of you agree. Ray is a phenomenal vocalist; I went after Tom because I know Tom is also a phenomenal vocalist. :)

And lastly, yes...this one is going to be a lot of work to play!  We're fired up, though!  :)

Thank you, as always, for your interest and support!

Offline Lethean

Nick, will Simone be with you for ProgPower?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for the clarification on Toms stance on adding guitar to the band Nick, being a guitarist myself I always felt he was very underrated in terms of his lead guitar skills and the thought of him adding some solos to Redemption was mouth watering.

Gotta respect his decision though and the reasons behind it, all class. Maybe you could persuade him to throw a quick solo or two on the next one.  ;D

Again, the new song is incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Well I'm gonna be honest. I'm not an Evergrey fan and having Tom take over from Ray will take A LOT of getting used to for me.  But being a Redemption fan, I will definitely buy it and work through it. I'm sure it's worth it.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Regarding the pricing of the rewards on Kickstarter, yes, it's a bit more expensive than last time. Blu Rays cost more to manufacture and the cost of getting European musicians over here is a lot more than you would think...well over $5K just to have them join us. Plus you can expect the production value of our show to be pretty remarkable...and that also costs money. We're also hiring special light and sound people for the show; that also costs more money. We hope to provide tremendous value to our fans, but yes, some of those costs are being passed on in the form of the rewards. For those who enjoy the music and don't have as much disposable income to invest in helping the band put out the new product, believe me, no offense is taken. We are grateful for every expression of support, including simply the enjoyment of our music.

Regarding this: I understand BluRays cost money to manufacture etc etc.  My primary point was "$10 to hear from the band"... that's high to me for 'updates'.  Last I looked you had 0 contributors for $10.  So if you dropped that to $2 and had 5 contributors, you'd have brought in $10 and the cost to you is really no more since you punch in an update on KS and it alerts all the backers, right?

I've seen a number of KS over the years that have had a decent number of backers that will kick in a few bucks just to see something they enjoy succeed, if the other items don't entice them enough to contribute more.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Also about this, I wish there was an option to participate, purchasing the BR, but with a bit lower price. I really like Redemption, but I'm more of a "normal" fan. I sincerely would like to fund the BR, but also I would like to have the product for a more acessible price. If I make the US$ 50 option, to receive the BR at home, it will cost me more US$ 10 for the delivering. In Brazil, the taxing occurs for purchases from US$ 50. So this BR would end to cost me, for real, US$ 96. In brazilian currency this is really expensive, something like the price of a recently released double BR (special edition) of a Marvel's film, multiplied by 4. I know, it's an example of a particular country, but maybe there are another fans from other countries in a similar situation...
And Nick, of course, I'm not complaining. It's just a feedback that maybe can help Redemption to have more funders for this BR.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Also about this, I wish there was an option to participate, purchasing the BR, but with a bit lower price. I really like Redemption, but I'm more of a "normal" fan. I sincerely would like to fund the BR, but also I would like to have the product for a more acessible price. If I make the US$ 50 option, to receive the BR at home, it will cost me more US$ 10 for the delivering. In Brazil, the taxing occurs for purchases from US$ 50. So this BR would end to cost me, for real, US$ 96. In brazilian currency this is really expensive, something like the price of a recently released double BR (special edition) of a Marvel's film, multiplied by 4. I know, it's an example of a particular country, but maybe there are another fans from other countries in a similar situation...
And Nick, of course, I'm not complaining. It's just a feedback that maybe can help Redemption to have more funders for this BR.

I was planning to choose the $ 50 option but wasn't aware of the delivery costs and I guess Dutch Tax Office also want their slice of the cake which makes it even more expensive.
I'll have to think about this.

by the way: Indulge in Color is great :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I was planning to choose the $ 50 option but wasn't aware of the delivery costs and I guess Dutch Tax Office also want their slice of the cake which makes it even more expensive.
I'll have to think about this.

by the way: Indulge in Color is great :tup

Since I did this yesterday, the final cost for me (in the US) was 55 dollars. 

Offline nvandyk1

You were ahead of our announcement by a couple of days. Yes!!! :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Nick, while you're around and answering questions, here is one important to me as I look to budget the rest of the year's vacation time:

How are things looking for a tour/shows at places other than ProgPower? I have tickets, fully intended on going, but two of my other three most anticipated acts (James LaBrie and Kingcrow) both canceled. Would love to see you guys in the Northeast and be able to use that week on other plans. A greedy question, but much appreciated if you have any insight!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline nvandyk1

Nick, while you're around and answering questions, here is one important to me as I look to budget the rest of the year's vacation time:

How are things looking for a tour/shows at places other than ProgPower? I have tickets, fully intended on going, but two of my other three most anticipated acts (James LaBrie and Kingcrow) both canceled. Would love to see you guys in the Northeast and be able to use that week on other plans. A greedy question, but much appreciated if you have any insight!

There are still moving pieces but I think it's not looking likely that we will be in the Northeast this year, unfortunately.

ProgPower is going to be a special performance. You won't regret coming.

Offline Lethean

:)  :metal  :metal :metal

Thank you. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

There are still moving pieces but I think it's not looking likely that we will be in the Northeast this year, unfortunately.

ProgPower is going to be a special performance. You won't regret coming.

Trust me, very excited to see a full set from you guys, would be long overdue. On review I realize you, Labyrinth, and Sons of Apollo all play the same day, so I think worst case scenario at this point is flying down early Friday, watching all that, and heading back Saturday.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Indulge In Color is damn good successor to Black and White World. It's right up there with that song which is among my favorites from Snowfall on Judgment Day.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Redemption added a new option on Kickstarter. Thanks, Nick, I’ll get this one for sure!

Pledge US$ 20 or more

Pre-order the Blu Ray itself

We have added a new option for those that want to contribute but don't want to spring for a signed Blu Ray.

Pre-order yours now for $20 and we'll have it sent to you, unsigned, when it comes out!

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Done!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
A few things real quick:

I am REALLY warming up to Little Men.  As I find is typical with me and this band, I was initially left feeling like I wasn't really sure what I thought after a first listen.  But it is sinking in and I am processing it, and finding that I really love it.  Again, typical.  But having the instrumental part of the song sound so much like Redemption and having someone other than Ray singing really threw me.  But, yeah, I'm warming up to Tom's voice in this band. 

Indulge in Color is FANTASTIC!  As others have said, Chris' solo is a real standout.  And Tom's singing is fantastic as well.  Okay, I'm sold.  :tup

Nick, did you get my email by any chance?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I threw down for the $20 bluray.

Offline nvandyk1

A few things real quick:

I am REALLY warming up to Little Men.  As I find is typical with me and this band, I was initially left feeling like I wasn't really sure what I thought after a first listen.  But it is sinking in and I am processing it, and finding that I really love it.  Again, typical.  But having the instrumental part of the song sound so much like Redemption and having someone other than Ray singing really threw me.  But, yeah, I'm warming up to Tom's voice in this band. 

Indulge in Color is FANTASTIC!  As others have said, Chris' solo is a real standout.  And Tom's singing is fantastic as well.  Okay, I'm sold.  :tup

Nick, did you get my email by any chance?

Thanks for the kind words -- glad Little Men is growing on you and glad you dig Indulge. I'm pretty pleased with that one, I mist admit. :)

Sadly, I did not get your email. PM me here, perhaps?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
I threw down for the $20 bluray.

Bit bummed you can only pay with creditcard. That sucks.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ronnibran

Just contributed to the kickstarter campaign.  So excited to get this Blu-ray, I haven't heard or seen anything live by Redemption.

Actually, I saw them live when they toured with DT (Systematic Chaos tour maybe?).  But I hadn't heard of them and can't say I really paid any attention to them at the time (and remember zero about the experience).  It wasn't until years later when a friend at work introduced me to them that I realized how much I liked them.

I am absolutely loving the newest song Indulge In Color.  It is simply amazing, I don't even know what else to say about it.  It's cool, my friend that introduced me to Redemption also happens to LOVE Evergrey.  He must be in fricken hog heaven with the singer change...  I'm optimistic about it for sure (but to me Redemption is probably going to be just as good with either Ray or Tom, as it's the song writing/melodies/lyrics that make it awesome to me).

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Looks like KS has made it past the goal line!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
I also discovered Redemption as a result of the Chaos in Motion tour. Saw them for the first time at the Baltimore show in early August. Saw them again at the NJ show and bought Fullness and Origins at their merch stand. Listened to them pretty much non stop for a few weeks and have been a fan ever since.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Looks like KS has made it past the goal line!

:metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I also discovered Redemption as a result of the Chaos in Motion tour. Saw them for the first time at the Baltimore show in early August. Saw them again at the NJ show and bought Fullness and Origins at their merch stand. Listened to them pretty much non stop for a few weeks and have been a fan ever since.

I am pretty sure I saw them twice that tour and thought they sucked so hard.  Now I wish I knew their catalog back then to appreciate it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Who wants to review the upcoming album?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

I'd love to if given the opportunity! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd love to if given the opportunity! :tup

PM me your email address

Offline nvandyk1

It would be great if the promos were not openly leaked and shared, guys. I'm right here.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
That's not the case, I just PM'ed you

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just watched the new music video (sent to those who supported the kickstarter, seems like it will be released for all soon enough though).  Another solid song.  Also, what a babe!  You don't see that often in prog metal music videos (although I see Mr Ullaeus directed, and I can see how this looks like something of his work from watching so many Amaranthe videos).  I'd probably rate Indulge in Color and Little Men higher after one listen, but it's a good song.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just watched the new music video (sent to those who supported the kickstarter, seems like it will be released for all soon enough though).  Another solid song.  Also, what a babe!  You don't see that often in prog metal music videos (although I see Mr Ullaeus directed, and I can see how this looks like something of his work from watching so many Amaranthe videos).  I'd probably rate Indulge in Color and Little Men higher after one listen, but it's a good song.

I don't see any email regarding new video and no mention of it in the KS Updates section ...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I don't see any email regarding new video and no mention of it in the KS Updates section ...

hm, I don't know.  I got an email from Nick via KS with a link.  Maybe check spam?  Or maybe the dollar level means some people get the updates (I did the 50 dollar option)?  I have no idea, the whole KS thing is new to me.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Too bad it's the radio edit. The real album track is two minutes longer.